• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 30, 2017
Hi,
Can someone tell me which game(s) these screens come from?
8VzpUDH.jpg

lFK5Lpl.jpg

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
The second screenshot seems to be an early build of Blazing Legion: Ignition by Ethan Redd (Kidd Radd).

The first screenshot seems to also be from the same person, maybe it's an even earlier build of the same game or some other project of his.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm thinking of an NES game I played as a child, but never owned. Late '80s or early '90s. It was a 2D sidescroller. Not particularly challenging. About the only thing I remember about it is one of the later bosses being made of clouds, possibly similar to Kracko (Kirby series).

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Cross posting a YT comment under a video:
Looks like this topic brought older members of PC gamers and I'd like to take the opportunity by asking the community to solve my 25 year old mystery. My parents got me a CD-ROM drive for my 486 back in 1994. It came with a demo disc for various DOS games. There was two that caught my eye which was Doom clone with a theme of horror. I think it was called Nightmare something. And also a upcoming game in a form of trailer. It was fully rendered 3D. It looked like an adventure game. It involved teleportation and time travel I believe. And the character resembled one of an Ancient Egyptian God Anubis. The background music was techno. To this day, I do not know the title of these games. I have no idea if t were released and sold. I've never heard anyone talk about on Youtube either. Can anyone shed some light into this?

Anyone? :D

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Looks like this topic brought older members of PC gamers and I'd like to take the opportunity by asking the community to solve my 25 year old mystery. My parents got me a CD-ROM drive for my 486 back in 1994. It came with a demo disc for various DOS games. There was two that caught my eye which was Doom clone with a theme of horror. I think it was called Nightmare something. And also a upcoming game in a form of trailer. It was fully rendered 3D. It looked like an adventure game. It involved teleportation and time travel I believe. And the character resembled one of an Ancient Egyptian God Anubis. The background music was techno. To this day, I do not know the title of these games. I have no idea if t were released and sold. I've never heard anyone talk about on Youtube either. Can anyone shed some light into this?

The horror themed Doom clone might be Nitemare 3D, which was a part of the Hugo franchise.

Pre-rendered graphics with an Egyptian theme in a mid-nineties DOS game makes me think of Powerslave, but that was a couple years after Nitemare 3D, so I'm not sure if the time frame matches up exactly. That was a first person shooter as well, but the pre-rendered intro might be misleading to people who never saw anything else of the game.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Dunno if it even has a name, but there was a game I played on Commodore 64 at daycare as a kid. It had ASCII graphics (or PETSCII, I guess) on a blue background, so I'm pretty certain it was just a simple type-in program.

You were a vehicle (represented by an arrow or something) flying down a canyon made out of squares in a sine-wavy pattern that got increasingly narrower and narrower the longer you played. The objective was to simply try and not hit the walls for as long as possible. Though there was a trick to it... at a certain point, there would be a small gap in the canyon wall that you could escape from, which would put you on easy street.

It's crude enough that I suppose I could just try to recreate it for myself if I really wanted to, but it'd still be cool to find nonetheless.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Dunno if it even has a name, but there was a game I played on Commodore 64 at daycare as a kid. It had ASCII graphics (or PETSCII, I guess) on a blue background, so I'm pretty certain it was just a simple type-in program.

You were a vehicle (represented by an arrow or something) flying down a canyon made out of squares in a sine-wavy pattern that got increasingly narrower and narrower the longer you played. The objective was to simply try and not hit the walls for as long as possible. Though there was a trick to it... at a certain point, there would be a small gap in the canyon wall that you could escape from, which would put you on easy street.

It's crude enough that I suppose I could just try to recreate it for myself if I really wanted to, but it'd still be cool to find nonetheless.

You could look here..

http://www.c64music.co.uk/mags/

A list of old type it yourself games from old magazines..

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

The second game sounds familiar or maybe I saw the same demo.

This should solvable as I doubt too many Demo discs were released with CD drives.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017

I was kinda thinking the second one could've been one of The Journeyman Project games but not sure. Also check out Isis: Earth, Wind & Fire.

Gamebase64 lists this genre as "Racing - Stay on Track", so you can check out their list of all games under the genre.

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017
Had a customer tell me there was an NES game (he was pretty sure it was NES, not SNES or anything else) where you were trying to find a new planet for humanity, and you spent some time collecting creatures from the planet(s?) and other stuff. Anyone? It didn't sound the least bit familiar to me. The first thing that came to mind was maybe like EVO: The Search for Eden but I don't know if that even plays like that and he double-denied that one (it being an SNES game): "I'm familiar with that one, actually."
The only thing that comes to mind is Solar Jetman (in terms of visiting planets and collecting things), but that has a pretty different backstory. I'll be curious what it is if this game does exist.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Had a customer tell me there was an NES game (he was pretty sure it was NES, not SNES or anything else) where you were trying to find a new planet for humanity, and you spent some time collecting creatures from the planet(s?) and other stuff. Anyone? It didn't sound the least bit familiar to me. The first thing that came to mind was maybe like EVO: The Search for Eden but I don't know if that even plays like that and he double-denied that one (it being an SNES game): "I'm familiar with that one, actually."

If he's certain it's for the NES then the only one I can think of is Overlord, which is a planetary strategy game where you have to get resources to colonise and protect planets, but that's a bit of a stretch tbh.

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY

Kind of a shot in the dark, but MULE maybe?

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No chance it could be Cosmic Ark on Atari 2600?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any idea on the timeframe?
"Isometric" means a lot of different things to people, but if you recall it being pretty RPGish, it might be one of the later AD&D games on PC (1993), Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. It starts out in a desert arena, where you're a gladiator. Has some pretty wild species/classes that are playable including insect people. Screenshots that might ring a bell.

How about Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. You start the game fighting in a gladiator arena and the first major quest is a prison escape. The whole world is a desert environment.

Well I was at my folks place and it look what game my dad owns!

eNDtPCU.jpg

Pretty sure you two hit the nail on the head!

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There was a game in the mid 90s, a cartoonish point and click adventure that had a rhino guy guarding a rope bridge who I think threw dynamite. I remember one screen had a wood stump that may have been used as a table. Main guy may have been a monkey.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There was a game in the mid 90s, a cartoonish point and click adventure that had a rhino guy guarding a rope bridge who I think threw dynamite. I remember one screen had a wood stump that may have been used as a table. Main guy may have been a monkey.

are you sure you are not thinking about Monkey Islands?

1tJIZZk.jpg

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

I can't really think of an exact scenario, but could that've been one of the Gobliiins, or Woodruff?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Neither of these unfortunately. I remembered the Monkey wore red. It may have been a spin on Monkey Magic. I remember there was also a gong.
I'm struggling to think of point and clicks where you control something that looks like a monkey. Coktel Visions' Gobliiins (Gobliins 2, Goblins 3) titles could fit the bill, perhaps. There's also Inherit The Earth: quest for the orb, which is a fox rather than a monkey, but does have heavy animal theming.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I played this game on a PS2, but I think it was a PS1 game. It was about robots fighting in an arena. 3D plane (i.e. not a side view like in Tekken). I think you could customize their parts. The robots looked very goofy and angular, not necessarily humanoid either. Tried looking it up many times but couldn't ever find it.

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I played this game on a PS2, but I think it was a PS1 game. It was about robots fighting in an arena. 3D plane (i.e. not a side view like in Tekken). I think you could customize their parts. The robots looked very goofy and angular, not necessarily humanoid either. Tried looking it up many times but couldn't ever find it.
Robo Pit on PS1. Game's really underrated.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
There's a game that I can't find any screenshots of, but it was an educational game on I think an old Acorn computer. Basically it was a top down maze where you had to solve maths problems, and the character was green and square and wore sunglasses. He said "Thank You Very Kindly" whenever you solved a problem.

If anyone knows anything about this game I'd appreciate it very much! I loved it when I was a child.

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
There's a game that I can't find any screenshots of, but it was an educational game on I think an old Acorn computer. Basically it was a top down maze where you had to solve maths problems, and the character was green and square and wore sunglasses. He said "Thank You Very Kindly" whenever you solved a problem.

If anyone knows anything about this game I'd appreciate it very much! I loved it when I was a child.

could that be "Number Munchers"?

hanmik

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately not, from what I remember the layout was a similar colour scheme to minesweeper.

could it have been part of the "Fun School" games pack..? those existed on Acorn computers. But it is impossible to find pics and descriptions of the games from the first pack. I can only find Fun School 2 and upwards on the net.

Fun school 1 was made in 1984, and had a collection of educational games.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fun_School

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Long shot that anyone can figure this out with the little information I have but: This is a Commodore 128 (64) game which I played from cassette IIRC. It was top down but you may have seen the entire character sprite rather than his top-down image (i.e. you saw a sprite like in a side scroller rather than just the shoulders and head from above). I don't remember what the combat was actually like but it was probably less hectic and combat-focused than Gauntlet and a bit more adventure/RPG. You may have played a knight (could be mage) and his sprite may have been yellow/golden or white. The main screen background color was probably black. You may have been able to cast magic/shoot. The world was probably built like Zelda 1's where you go from one screen to another rather than an interconnected world but I'm not completely sure.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Long shot that anyone can figure this out with the little information I have but: This is a Commodore 128 (64) game which I played from cassette IIRC. It was top down but you may have seen the entire character sprite rather than his top-down image (i.e. you saw a sprite like in a side scroller rather than just the shoulders and head from above). I don't remember what the combat was actually like but it was probably less hectic and combat-focused than Gauntlet and a bit more adventure/RPG. You may have played a knight (could be mage) and his sprite may have been yellow/golden or white. The main screen background color was probably black. You may have been able to cast magic/shoot. The world was probably built like Zelda 1's where you go from one screen to another rather than an interconnected world but I'm not completely sure.

Maybe Druid?

Druid03.gif

Or maybe Demon Stalkers/fire King.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017

It's probably NOT Sword of Fargoal but it's as good an excuse as any for some useless trivia!
The 1982 game developed by Jeff McCord was actually the first roguelike in the history of videogames !

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Maybe this'll help.

http://gb64.com/search.php?a=5&f=5&id=16&d=18&h=0

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks, guys. I'll try to do a bit of research via those links. I had forgotten about Druid, it was awesome. That one belonged in "Games You Had Forgotten… Completely!" rather than this thread for me though, haha. It's not that one and I'm pretty sure you were walking on plain black with no textures rather than something like the grass of Druid.

basic_text

Oct 27, 2017
Derby, UK

Could it be Feud?
maxresdefault.jpg