• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
I remember a trailer for a game on a PS1 demo disk that always stuck with me for some reason. I want to say it was some kind of mech game, but the trailer was pretty dark and the majority of the trailer took place in dark corridors, like industrial tunnels or sewers or something. I know this isn't much to go on, but worth a shot, I've tried to find out what that game was for over a decade now. I remember it being kind of frightening to me as a kid, at least the vibe was super dark and gritty for the time.

I want to say the demo disk also had that classic Warhawk trailer on it as well if that helps.

Whatislove

Jan 2, 2019
There's an old (I think late 90s) PC strategy game where you complete missions using toys as soldiers. I seem to remember it largely being based in a house but I could be wrong about this as I was very little at the time. It might have been a movie tie in, but again am not sure. I know this is a long shot but can anyone help me with this? I've looked on and off for years with no luck.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I remember a trailer for a game on a PS1 demo disk that always stuck with me for some reason. I want to say it was some kind of mech game, but the trailer was pretty dark and the majority of the trailer took place in dark corridors, like industrial tunnels or sewers or something. I know this isn't much to go on, but worth a shot, I've tried to find out what that game was for over a decade now. I remember it being kind of frightening to me as a kid, at least the vibe was super dark and gritty for the time.

I want to say the demo disk also had that classic Warhawk trailer on it as well if that helps.

Maybe it's one of Armored Core games.

Oct 30, 2017
There's an old (I think late 90s) PC strategy game where you complete missions using toys as soldiers. I seem to remember it largely being based in a house but I could be wrong about this as I was very little at the time. It might have been a movie tie in, but again am not sure. I know this is a long shot but can anyone help me with this? I've looked on and off for years with no luck.

There is Small Soldiers on the PS1. The film is based in a house, but not the game, IIRC.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017

Not mechs, but Tunnel B1 maybe

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
That's close. I'm pretty sure the game was more of circuit racer than a Mad Max type thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's a tricky scene to try and navigate.
I'm thinking my new plan could be to grab a CPC emulator and try out all the racing games I can find listed.
Hmm honestly except the behind the car view, this sounds a bit like Test Drive for CPC, which just looks and runs horrible.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan

Any of these ring a bell?

- Epidemic
- Kileak
- Codename/Lifeforce Tenka

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
That's close. I'm pretty sure the game was more of circuit racer than a Mad Max type thing.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's a tricky scene to try and navigate.
I'm thinking my new plan could be to grab a CPC emulator and try out all the racing games I can find listed.

Road Blasters?

CandySTX

Mar 17, 2018
Scotland

The_Freeman

Nov 5, 2017
Hoping someone can name this game. It always pops into my head every now and then and I can never remember the name of it.

I played it on the ZX Spectrum 128k. From what I remember, you played a sort of lizard/man thing that spit mini fire balls. Had to jump gaps and avoid enemies etc. It also had a lot of bubbles scattered throughout.

The colour scheme was very green on black. I can't remember more, but I did enjoy playing it.

I think it may have started with the letter Z

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hoping someone can name this game. It always pops into my head every now and then and I can never remember the name of it.

I played it on the ZX Spectrum 128k. From what I remember, you played a sort of lizard/man thing that spit mini fire balls. Had to jump gaps and avoid enemies etc. It also had a lot of bubbles scattered throughout.

The colour scheme was very green on black. I can't remember more, but I did enjoy playing it.

Wizard Willy maybe?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

In the Walls of Eryx?

The_Freeman

Nov 5, 2017
Not Walls of Eryx, either. It was a platform game, where (I think!) you could go down screens as well as left to right. Colour scheme was definetely green on black like Knight Lore. I swear I'm not making this game up :D

EDIT: I think it took place in an environment that looked like a dungeon too.

Knight Lore screen cap -
1*y9YtVa4gq4U4iNHldt6lSQ.jpeg

Feb 15, 2018
Ok, this one has been haunting me for years. I only played it once, about 25-30 years ago. It was a one-on-one fighter where you could knock armour off your opponent (and have armour knocked off yourself in turn). This was its big draw i believe. Don't recall there being special moves etc, so i'm fairly confident it was before SF2.

I'm almost certain one of the choosable protagonists was female.

I played it in the arcade (hence only playing it once), no idea if there were home ports.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Ok this one is impossible.

I only saw an image in a magazine of this game, in the japan import news, it was a playstation 1 game, 2d, isometric, with a manga artstyle, vampires and a protagonist that looks like leonardo di caprio.

It's not disgaea or the first isometric kain game.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
Ok this one is impossible.

I only saw an image in a magazine of this game, in the japan import news, it was a playstation 1 game, 2d, isometric, with a manga artstyle, vampires and a protagonist that looks like leonardo di caprio.

It's not disgaea or the first isometric kain game.

Maybe the Vampire Hunter D game for ps1? It's not 2d, but definitely a manga art style.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Ps1 side scrolling flying mech game. I think the whole game takes place in a city at night.

Im pretty sure the game starts with "E" but I can never find anything on Google lol

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

If it's got an old Warhawk trailer on it, it's gotta be a really early demo disc, right? Probably is a long box PS1 game then.

Maybe Space Griffon VF-9?

Could be Kileak: The DNA Imperative too.

Dr Zhivago

Oct 27, 2017
Battlestar Potemkin
Ok, this one has been haunting me for years. I only played it once, about 25-30 years ago. It was a one-on-one fighter where you could knock armour off your opponent (and have armour knocked off yourself in turn). This was its big draw i believe. Don't recall there being special moves etc, so i'm fairly confident it was before SF2.

I'm almost certain one of the choosable protagonists was female.

I played it in the arcade (hence only playing it once), no idea if there were home ports.

Great Gurianos/Gladiator

https://youtu.be/xmVbfCN5NKQ

Oct 27, 2017
NES game that was 2D side scroller. Was like Godzilla, but not Godzilla I think? Or some shit. Took place in space (on the moon or something). Really enjoyed it back in the day but do not remember the name.

You either play as a metal Godzilla like creature (but it's NOT Godzilla), or you fight something like that.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There was this game where you were a kid in his underwear. It was scary as hell when I was 5, I think it was a 90s game for the PC. You had a yoyo attack and weird puzzles. It had this really cool art style but I keep thinking I made this game up. Was like a puzzle platformer

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
It was a party based strategy RPG for the original Xbox, set in ancient Rome, and I seem to remember you could have either dogs or tigers as party members.

It was a 3D game played out on a Battlefield and you took turns moving your characters around attacking or using skills. I know there was permadeath, but I feel like I remember it only happening it certain places. Like I think there was an arena or a story area where if a character died they were fine, but if you went out in to the wilderness to level up and a character died they were dead forever. I remember that part because I played it with my friend on his Xbox, and we each controlled certain characters and once I came over and he told me he'd lost my character in the wilderness so I'd have to pick a new one.

It's also possible it was on Gamecube

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
It was a party based strategy RPG for the original Xbox, set in ancient Rome, and I seem to remember you could have either dogs or tigers as party members.

It was a 3D game played out on a Battlefield and you took turns moving your characters around attacking or using skills. I know there was permadeath, but I feel like I remember it only happening it certain places. Like I think there was an arena or a story area where if a character died they were fine, but if you went out in to the wilderness to level up and a character died they were dead forever. I remember that part because I played it with my friend on his Xbox, and we each controlled certain characters and once I came over and he told me he'd lost my character in the wilderness so I'd have to pick a new one.

It's also possible it was on Gamecube
Gladius?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So this is a long shot but I have very vague memories of a game. All I can ever remember is I believe it was isometric and had some section in an arena or prison arena in a desert like setting. Would have been a PC game or Sega Genesis as that's what we had. I dont think we ever owned fallout, We did for the Gen have both Shadow run and buck Rodgers but I have played both since I'm older now and never saw an area that quite matched my memory.

Feb 15, 2018

Your a star! Thanks so much, this has been annoying me for years now. As soon as i saw the title screen i knew that was the one.
I also remembered that attract screen (and the side scrolling sections) as soon as it started running. I must have watched that attract screen 20 times as a kid that day. Also, how could i forget to mention the high / mid/ low blocking mechanic....

Thanks again.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Could be... all I know is that the game is super old , I vaguely remember it as a child. And It was like,a point and click detective game.

derFeef

Oct 26, 2017
Austria
So this is a long shot but I have very vague memories of a game. All I can ever remember is I believe it was isometric and had some section in an arena or prison arena in a desert like setting. Would have been a PC game or Sega Genesis as that's what we had. I dont think we ever owned fallout, We did for the Gen have both Shadow run and buck Rodgers but I have played both since I'm older now and never saw an area that quite matched my memory.
Sounds like Jagged Alliance to me.

Javi

Jun 2, 2018
Texas
For years I could not remember a game I played as a child. I didn't remember if I played it on the N64 or the SNES. All I remember was that it had an oriental type of style, had 2 player options and that there was a cool water level lol.

I finally found out the name thanks to the Wii U's ehop. Nintendo released Mystical Ninja Goemon in the japanese EShop, i googled and and THAT WAS IT!!!!