• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I should have mentioned that it was not in first person. You could see your character on screen.

Another guess: Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Althoo checking images it seem to have both isometric view and first person.

And there's a lord of rings game for Genesis.

Sorry just throwing out random guesses on games I haven't played now.

bjork

Oct 27, 2017
I've been trying to remember the name of this game for a very long time. Hopefully someone here can help me out. This will probably be a little vague as my memories may or may not be accurate. Here goes:

• I believe it was on the Sega Genesis
  • It was a fantasy adventure type game
  • You had to decided which direction to go in on each screen i.e Up, Down, Left, or Right.
  • I think you had to go to a swamp at some point (this could be from another game)
  • I feel like it had a lot of text adventure type puzzles but I'm not sure.
Well that's all I've got. Hope you all can help me out.

Faery Tale Adventure?

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Another guess: Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun

Althoo checking images it seem to have both isometric view and first person.

And there's a lord of rings game for Genesis.

Sorry just throwing out random guesses on games I haven't played now.
I don't think it's any of these. Thanks though. I wish I could remember more but I'm pretty sure we rented the game from Blockbuster so I didn't get to play it very much. The only thing I remember completely is the stupid song my brothers and I made up to sing along to the music.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Faery Tale Adventure?
I got excited for a minute but it's not this. I'm pretty sure you had to choose which direction to go on each screen. So from the starting screen you could go down, left, or right, if you went down then you would have to decide again which way to go. Thanks for taking a stab at it though.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I used to play a ds word puzzle game that is presented as a game show with a 3d cartoony presentator.
There are several modes. One of them was called mismatch something. There is another one where you have to find missing letters if i remember correctly.
The backgroung was red if i am not mistaken.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to remember the name of this game for a very long time. Hopefully someone here can help me out. This will probably be a little vague as my memories may or may not be accurate. Here goes:

• You had to decided which direction to go in on each screen i.e Up, Down, Left, or Right.
  • I think you had to go to a swamp at some point (this could be from another game)

So like the original Legend of Zelda? Might be Spiritual Warfare.

I used to play a ds word puzzle game that is presented as a game show with a 3d cartoony presentator.
There are several modes. One of them was called mismatch something. There is another one where you have to find missing letters if i remember correctly.
The backgroung was red if i am not mistaken.

There were so many shovelware puzzle games on the DS, it's hard to know. I know Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune have 3D game show hosts but can't think of anything else right now.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Sorcerer's Kingdom maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okjFgUuX-Vk

or perhaps Soleli / Crusader of Centy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq7fDSYeM84

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I don't think it's either of these, thank you though. The game had a more realistic look to it. Now I'm sorry if I'm leading people astray and I could be getting my games mixed up but I think I remember it being more of a text style adventure game where you would have to figure out what to use your items on. I feel like there was a part where I had to go to a tower in a swamp, maybe needed to light a candle but had to get fire from somewhere else. I'm trying hard to think but it's been so long.

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Maybe someone can help a friend of mine?

"My memories are foggy... But I remember the game was a 2D-platformer, I think I remember that the character was a fox. Maybe even a dog or perhaps a cat - an animal with a tail (I think!). This character had blue clothes, I remember a blue hat. Kinda reminds me of Sly Cooper, but this game existed in the 90's so it's not him. This (let's say) fox collected treasures and other collectables in a 16-bit landscape from what I remembered. I remember a jungle... And That's it!

I got to try the game twice on a computer. It could be a PC-game, then again, that computer also had Mario is Missing and Donkey Kong Country 3. So this game could very well be a Super Nintendo game.

Also, I remember that this game wasn't very cutesy-cute. They had weapons and such, it had quite the dark atmosphere if I remember correctly."

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
So like the original Legend of Zelda? Might be Spiritual Warfare.

There were so many shovelware puzzle games on the DS, it's hard to know. I know Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune have 3D game show hosts but can't think of anything else right now.

Found it!

Spelling challenges and more.

I just found out ign gave it 1.5/10. I actually really enjoyed this game.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden

"My memories are foggy... But I remember the game was a 2D-platformer, I think I remember that the character was a fox. Maybe even a dog or perhaps a cat - an animal with a tail (I think!). This character had blue clothes, I remember a blue hat. Kinda reminds me of Sly Cooper, but this game existed in the 90's so it's not him. This (let's say) fox collected treasures and other collectables in a 16-bit landscape from what I remembered. I remember a jungle... And That's it!

I got to try the game twice on a computer. It could be a PC-game, then again, that computer also had Mario is Missing and Donkey Kong Country 3. So this game could very well be a Super Nintendo game.

Also, I remember that this game wasn't very cutesy-cute. They had weapons and such, it had quite the dark atmosphere if I remember correctly."

Throwing a random guess on Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel on SNES, althoo there's no blue hat :/

Oct 26, 2017

Sparkster/Rocket Knight is the only blue costumed animal I could think of from the time, but I did a little search and there's a game called Ardy Lightfoot which is a good match for the character description.
I'm not sure about the dark atmosphere though.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017

If it's a PC game, it might be Claw.

Found it!

Spelling challenges and more.

I just found out ign gave it 1.5/10. I actually really enjoyed this game.

Awesome!

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Throwing a random guess on Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel on SNES, althoo there's no blue hat :/

Sparkster/Rocket Knight is the only blue costumed animal I could think of from the time, but I did a little search and there's a game called Ardy Lightfoot which is a good match for the character description.
I'm not sure about the dark atmosphere though.

If it's a PC game, it might be Claw.

Thanks so much for the suggestions and help! It was Claw and my friend is really happy <3

Forrow Rebel

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Hey guys hope you can help me with this.

This is around late nineties or 2000. I know it's a game, but It might also have had an animated series along with.

The first that comes to mind is the color white, as in the element wind snow or sky, in a blocky, cyclon or round form. Then I have brief thoughts about something red, and then blue and green. So it might be creatures, monsters that are defined by perhaps their colour/element like aqua etc. And then the last thing I remember are the sounds, alien to us maybe, but they were deep and maybe wise, don't know if they could talk, just remember these deep voices/sounds.

They might also have been at war with each other, or in a battle, not quite sure though.

Hope someone out there can help me with remembering the name of a game I've had in my mind since forever

And I remember it as being a pc game.

Oh and it also might have been a side scroller

Last edited:

mclem

Oct 25, 2017

This is around late nineties or 2000. I know it's a game, but It might also have had an animated series along with.

The first that comes to mind is the color white, as in the element wind snow or sky, in a blocky, cyclon or round form. Then I have brief thoughts about something red, and then blue and green. So it might be creatures, monsters that are defined by perhaps their colour/element like aqua etc. And then the last thing I remember are the sounds, alien to us maybe, but they were deep and maybe wise, don't know if they could talk, just remember these deep voices/sounds.

They might also have been at war with each other, or in a battle, not quite sure though.

Hope someone out there can help me with remembering the name of a game I've had in my mind since forever

I can't think of anything that quite fits exactly what you're talking of, but bits of the description put me in mind of the Elemental Titans from Ultima 8; Pyros is red and Hydros is blue, with Stratos being white and cyclonic and Lithos being white and blocky. As the effective gods on Pagan, they are deep and wise (and in some cases, somewhat psychopathic). To some extent they are opposed to one another. The year's a little early (1994), but it's entirely reasonable that you encountered it well after release.

Where it doesn't match: No animated series, no green, not really a sidescroller (although given that the game interface is a somewhat odd pseudo-isometric platformer... kind of?)

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's either of these, thank you though. The game had a more realistic look to it. Now I'm sorry if I'm leading people astray and I could be getting my games mixed up but I think I remember it being more of a text style adventure game where you would have to figure out what to use your items on. I feel like there was a part where I had to go to a tower in a swamp, maybe needed to light a candle but had to get fire from somewhere else. I'm trying hard to think but it's been so long.

There's a series of Phantasy Star II Text Adventure games (Japanese only I think) that kinda sound like something like that, but that's probably not it.

On the other hand, all of this reminds me of classic Amiga isometric action adventures like Cadaver where you control your character within single screen scenes and solve item-based puzzles. So did the game maybe resemble that? Did you directly see and control your character or did you just select the directions and click on objects/items with a cursor more similar to point & click adventures, or maybe it was all menu based?

I always get Dreams to Reality vibes from these kinds of descriptions about wind elements and weird stuff, but that's probably not it. Do you remember if the game was 2D or 3D? You mentioning an animated series kinda makes me think it might've been 2D with colorful, cartoonish characters, something like Dofus maybe. I'm also assuming it's probably a more action oriented game, as opposed to a slower paced adventure or strategy game? Any more hints to the genre, point of view/camera angle and visual style would certainly help.

Forrow Rebel

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
I can't think of anything that quite fits exactly what you're talking of, but bits of the description put me in mind of the Elemental Titans from Ultima 8; Pyros is red and Hydros is blue, with Stratos being white and cyclonic and Lithos being white and blocky. As the effective gods on Pagan, they are deep and wise (and in some cases, somewhat psychopathic). To some extent they are opposed to one another. The year's a little early (1994), but it's entirely reasonable that you encountered it well after release.

Where it doesn't match: No animated series, no green, not really a sidescroller (although given that the game interface is a somewhat odd pseudo-isometric platformer... kind of?)

That's not it unfortunately, but thematically it may be close, I just remember this game being a 2d sidescroller, something either grey or black also comes to mind, but With only these fragments of memory to work with, it becomes quite difficult to piece them together. Maybe drop the animated series part, it could have been cutscenes in the game, I am unsure.

There's a series of Phantasy Star II Text Adventure games (Japanese only I think) that kinda sound like something like that, but that's probably not it.

I always get Dreams to Reality vibes from these kinds of descriptions about wind elements and weird stuff, but that's probably not it. Do you remember if the game was 2D or 3D? You mentioning an animated series kinda makes me think it might've been 2D with colorful, cartoonish characters, something like Dofus maybe. I'm also assuming it's probably a more action oriented game, as opposed to a slower paced adventure or strategy game? Any more hints to the genre, point of view/camera angle and visual style would certainly help.

None of those games are even remotely close.

2D, It was colorful but I don't remember different colors being present at once, I remember stages being quite themed with their colors. here is maybe a hint at the visual style, but I can't find much like it, just remember it being blocky, like legos, but with a softer rounding, prob due to the technology at the time, as It was an old game. The character you play as was prob either of them, I anyway don't recall it being a human, or having any hints of realism.

Think of this, but the white blocks would look like small clouds, more rounder, and it would be like a platformer, with those cloudy/snowy blocks that you walk on, jump on, so these clouds being platforms

blockworld%202d%20android%20game%201.jpg

PP54311409-Three-Low-Hanging-Little-White-Clouds.jpg

Clouds like these, but pressed together in a more blocky form, making platforming sections
Five-Little-Clouds-Felt-Board-Magic-1024x683.jpg

But it is a bit more in this style than the picture at top. I mean the compression or the blocky artifacts that can be seen in the tree for example.

63e150f8641ecc9aa0361dc169eb1041.jpg

Btw there was also a game, featuring a boy and his dog, I think the dog got away, and I remember they boy fighting evil creatures, he might have had an electric attack.

Nevermind a google serach showed me this, so at least I know this one
2284341-darkness.png

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio

On the other hand, all of this reminds me of classic Amiga isometric action adventures like Cadaver where you control your character within single screen scenes and solve item-based puzzles. So did the game maybe resemble that? Did you directly see and control your character or did you just select the directions and click on objects/items with a cursor more similar to point & click adventures, or maybe it was all menu based?

I do remember seeing the player character on screen, it was either isometric or a top down view. I'm pretty sure it's a Genesis game but I did get a SNES at some point so it could have been on that. I don't think there was a cursor either. I think you just selected the item and hit the "use" option.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I do remember seeing the player character on screen, it was either isometric or a top down view. I'm pretty sure it's a Genesis game but I did get a SNES at some point so it could have been on that. I don't think there was a cursor either. I think you just selected the item and hit the "use" option.

From the new clues im getting vibes of the following games:

Light Crusader for Genesis

The Immortal for Genesis

Landstalker for Genesis

Soileil/ Crusader of the Century for Genesis (different names between NA/EU

Equinox for SNES.

Would you say that the style is similar to these games, just so that I'm on the same wavelength?

Edit: Just throwing in Sword of Vermillion for Genesis for the heck of it

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
That's not it unfortunately, but thematically it may be close, I just remember this game being a 2d sidescroller, something either grey or black also comes to mind, but With only these fragments of memory to work with, it becomes quite difficult to piece them together. Maybe drop the animated series part, it could have been cutscenes in the game, I am unsure.

None of those games are even remotely close.

2D, It was colorful but I don't remember different colors being present at once, I remember stages being quite themed with their colors. here is maybe a hint at the visual style, but I can't find much like it, just remember it being blocky, like legos, but with a softer rounding, prob due to the technology at the time, as It was an old game. The character you play as was prob either of them, I anyway don't recall it being a human, or having any hints of realism.

Think of this, but the white blocks would look like small clouds, more rounder, and it would be like a platformer, with those cloudy/snowy blocks that you walk on, jump on, so these clouds being platforms

blockworld%202d%20android%20game%201.jpg

PP54311409-Three-Low-Hanging-Little-White-Clouds.jpg

Clouds like these, but pressed together in a more blocky form, making platforming sections
Five-Little-Clouds-Felt-Board-Magic-1024x683.jpg

But it is a bit more in this style than the picture at top. I mean the compression or the blocky artifacts that can be seen in the tree for example.

63e150f8641ecc9aa0361dc169eb1041.jpg

Btw there was also a game, featuring a boy and his dog, I think the dog got away, and I remember they boy fighting evil creatures, he might have had an electric attack.

Nevermind a google serach showed me this, so at least I know this one
2284341-darkness.png

Haven't really found anything that totally matches your description, so I'm just gonna throw a bunch of games in here, maybe some of them at least resemble the game a little bit (the last two are Amiga games, though there might be a slight chance of that as well):
Cave Story
iDyIicr.jpg

Xargon
6VYdBDh.png

HappyLand Adventures
JZzhtuk.jpg

The Adventures of Lomax
S8GlOz3.gif

Speedy Eggbert
cgAIXGa.jpg

Jill of the Jungle
uIedc5F.jpg

Fantastic Dizzy
m1hV0va.png

Beavers
DKy4Rlt.png

Forrow Rebel

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Haven't really found anything that totally matches your description, so I'm just gonna throw a bunch of games in here, maybe some of them at least resemble the game a little bit (the last two are Amiga games, though there might be a slight chance of that as well):
Cave Story
iDyIicr.jpg

Xargon
6VYdBDh.png

HappyLand Adventures
JZzhtuk.jpg

The Adventures of Lomax
S8GlOz3.gif

Speedy Eggbert
cgAIXGa.jpg

Jill of the Jungle
uIedc5F.jpg

Fantastic Dizzy
m1hV0va.png

Beavers
DKy4Rlt.png

Cave story, Xargon, the adventures of lomax and fantastic dizzy are all great candidates as they resemble the style, fantastic dizzy fits the best though with the clouds, although not exactly like it. If you could apply all the other elements to the fantastic dizzy I mentioned, you might get a better idea.

Do these games have anything in common btw? Because that might be a lead

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
From the new clues im getting vibes of the following games:

Light Crusader for Genesis

The Immortal for Genesis

Landstalker for Genesis

Soileil/ Crusader of the Century for Genesis (different names between NA/EU

Equinox for SNES.

Would you say that the style is similar to these games, just so that I'm on the same wavelength?

Edit: Just throwing in Sword of Vermillion for Genesis for the heck of it
looking at these games I feel like it's probably a top down perspective and not isometric. Also, I didn't play the game too much but I do remember it being outdoors more so than in. In fact I don't remember any indoor sections at all.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I gotta say the way that game looks makes me think it's it but I don't think it is. Are there any Genesis or SNES games with similar aesthetics? It looks like what I remember but I don't recall that much dialogue, especially voice over. Thanks.

First game that comes to My mind from this new info is "Young Merlin" for SNES.

One thing I wonder is: Do you remember there being any kind of combat and in that case what was the gameplay of the combat, I think that would help us narrow down the game.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
It was an early 90s arcade title. It was either overhead or 3/4 view gauntlet esque game and had a medieval aesthetic.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Posted this in r/tipofmyjoystick to no luck, maybe it will fare better here.
- I never played the game, but I recall seeing/reading it in a game magazine.
- I think the game is Survival Horror or at least have Survival Horror vibe like Alone in The Dark, late 90s or early 2000. I think it's PS1 or PC or maybe PS2 ?
- I think the game have multiple protagonists, and the game played from multiple perspective ? Not really sure on this.
- The game key-art/poster depicts "a severed (I think also rotted?) head with eye still intact on top of a grave and in front of a tombstone".

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Cave story, Xargon, the adventures of lomax and fantastic dizzy are all great candidates as they resemble the style, fantastic dizzy fits the best though with the clouds, although not exactly like it. If you could apply all the other elements to the fantastic dizzy I mentioned, you might get a better idea.

Do these games have anything in common btw? Because that might be a lead

Not really, they're all pretty different games. The general aesthetics and the more abstract concepts of color-based characters and enemies and jumping on clouds feels a bit more European in design though, where the main characters were often either kids or abstract creatures like blobs and sometimes anthropomorphic animals. I'm thinking the game might be a puzzle platformer like Fury of the Furries or The Lost Vikings, or an adventure platformer like the aforementioned Fantastic Dizzy (you actually collect items, have inventory slots and use those items on specific locations), but I haven't found anything that really fits the bill. There's also the possibility that it's a DOS shareware title (similar to Xargon), there are tons of those, very janky and rough both visually and gameplay-wise. There's also a slim chance of the game being a very early indie game, but that makes the task of finding it even harder. Or there's also something we're missing, like it being an edutainment software etc. I'll keep looking but I'm kinda stumped right now.

Airbar

Oct 26, 2017
Okay I'm looking for a more recent early access / indie game. It is kinda a space simulation in that you are "piloting" a spaceship. The catch is that it is very much hard sci fi in that you actually have to push different buttons to just start the engine and stuff. Hope someone gets what I mean by all of this :D

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm looking for a more recent early access / indie game. It is kinda a space simulation in that you are "piloting" a spaceship. The catch is that it is very much hard sci fi in that you actually have to push different buttons to just start the engine and stuff. Hope someone gets what I mean by all of this :D

Probably Rogue System.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
I have another: it's one of those games where you have to jump from platform to platform upwards, without walking left or right, so you have to time your jumps to land on the moving platforms. Eventually the platforms get slippery with ice which was a nightmare to play through. The playable character is a guy with a grey beanie obscuring his eyes, and the game took place in a stone tower. I think you could beat the game, too. We played it on PC

Aphotic

Oct 25, 2017
I have another: it's one of those games where you have to jump from platform to platform upwards, without walking left or right, so you have to time your jumps to land on the moving platforms. Eventually the platforms get slippery with ice which was a nightmare to play through. The playable character is a guy with a grey beanie obscuring his eyes, and the game took place in a stone tower. I think you could beat the game, too. We played it on PC
Icy Tower or one of its sequels/clones.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in r/tipofmyjoystick to no luck, maybe it will fare better here.
- I never played the game, but I recall seeing/reading it in a game magazine.
- I think the game is Survival Horror or at least have Survival Horror vibe like Alone in The Dark, late 90s or early 2000. I think it's PS1 or PC or maybe PS2 ?
- I think the game have multiple protagonists, and the game played from multiple perspective ? Not really sure on this.
- The game key-art/poster depicts "a severed (I think also rotted?) head with eye still intact on top of a grave and in front of a tombstone".

Maybe it's The Fear (PS2)?

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Okay, here we go.

I'm looking for an old DOS game, I'm assuming only ever released on disks (more than one, I think 3-4?). Very low-budget. Release date would have been early to mid-90s.

Two words, first word is "Space" or "Star".

It was a 3D polygonal space combat / sim. Everything was predominantly brown -- browns ships, mostly brown planets. You'd fly from planet to planet accepting banal missions -- I don't remember there being any real story. The real stand-out detail here in my mind was that some of the missions were "delivery" missions, where you left your ship and were instead flying a little space-scooter (like a Vespa without wheels, with no visible person driving) to bring things from one point on a planet to another. But the scooter itself moved along a straight horizontal axis even though the planets were curved, so if you just aimed at the horizon and cranked up the throttle you'd end up in space.

The disks themselves were beige with white labels.

BONUS SEARCH

Okay, it's a book, not a game, but this is probably the right crowd to ask. I've been looking for it for the last decade or so -- an introductory guide to the internet. No amount of googling, questioning, or used-book hunting has ever found it.

I don't remember if it was aimed at kids or families, but it had tons of graphics, and I think there were blue floppy disks with eyes and hands that introduced important concepts in sidebars.

The cover was the two anthropomorphic blue disks, and I believe had the earth's horizon behind them (all illustrated). Around that was a red border, with a red spine as well. There was a directory of popular websites and Usenet groups, and it even touched on Gopher and Archie.

My guess for a publication date would be between 1993 and 1995, but it's hard to know for sure. Usenet was popular, which points to earlier in the 90s, but I can't remember whether or not it mentioned Geocities, which would push it to ~1995.

The only additional clue I have is that it was part of a series -- I found a cached SomethingAwful post where someone mentions a very similar book, but doesn't identify it:
when I was a kid my parents had this book about computers. it explained all you need to know, like the how the cpu connects to the other parts of the computer through the bus, how the performance of processors goes Pentium Pro > Pentium 2(?) > 486 > 386, how the universal serial bus and sata were cool and good. stuff like that. best part, it had pictures, with little anthropomorphic floppy disk dudes! cant remember what it was called but I loved that book

e: also had software stuff. it explained that windows 3.1 and 95 were based on dos but the new windows nt was not based on dos, and practical stuff like spreadsheets and word processors. all around a good book for a middle-class adult new to this whole computer thing, like my mom

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
How about Star Crusader?

Nope. The game was much more sterile -- had a really bland look to it. And I'm 99% sure the ships were actually polygonal. It could be played in third-person, I don't remember if it had a first-person view at all. If it did, it was a very simple cockpit.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. The game was much more sterile -- had a really bland look to it. And I'm 99% sure the ships were actually polygonal. It could be played in third-person, I don't remember if it had a first-person view at all. If it did, it was a very simple cockpit.

There were a few space trading and exploartion games in those days, but I'm struggling to remember any that had additional vehicles like that. Check these games out (some of them are much more linear/mission based):
  • Epic
  • Inferno
  • Galactic Empire and its sequel, A.G.E.
  • Stellar 7
  • Eye of the Storm
  • Elite Plus and its sequels
  • Retribution
  • Mercenary and its sequels, Damocles and The Dion Crisis
  • Nomad
  • Darker
  • Lightspeed and Hyperspeed
  • Xiphos
  • Darklight Conflict

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
There were a few space trading and exploartion games in those days, but I'm struggling to remember any that had additional vehicles like that. Check these games out (some of them are much more linear/mission based):

0 / 13

For what it's worth, I've never seen this game mentioned online. I suspect it's pretty rare -- but got a boxed release, so there must be at least a handful of copies out there.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Plane flight game on PS2 where you had missions one of those where you had to land on a train while it was driving to refeul.

There also was a mission where you had to unleas your fuel to climb over a icy mountain. And one where you refuel in the sky at a big refuel plane.

There also was some sort of free roam maps where you could fly freely in. Played this game with my dad together as a kid but i can't remember the name anymore at all sadly. On the box art there was a yellow plane if i remember it right.

Redmond Barry

Nov 24, 2017
There was this N64 racing game that was fairly grounded in reality in the sense that it was no Mario Kart with cartoony hi-jinks but it was no Gran Turismo either. Driving was still easy enough for an 8 year old to get into and it had fictional car names. I think one car was called the Reed-something. I guess one could consider it a Ridge Racer clone.

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
0 / 13

For what it's worth, I've never seen this game mentioned online. I suspect it's pretty rare -- but got a boxed release, so there must be at least a handful of copies out there.

So I dug up Star Quest I in the 27th Century, can't say I've heard about it before, looks really impressive in certain aspects and pretty janky in others, but it does tick a lot of the boxes.

Plane flight game on PS2 where you had missions one of those where you had to land on a train while it was driving to refeul.

There also was a mission where you had to unleas your fuel to climb over a icy mountain. And one where you refuel in the sky at a big refuel plane.

There also was some sort of free roam maps where you could fly freely in. Played this game with my dad together as a kid but i can't remember the name anymore at all sadly. On the box art there was a yellow plane if i remember it right.

Sounds like Sky Odyssey.

There was this N64 racing game that was fairly grounded in reality in the sense that it was no Mario Kart with cartoony hi-jinks but it was no Gran Turismo either. Driving was still easy enough for an 8 year old to get into and it had fictional car names. I think one car was called the Reed-something. I guess one could consider it a Ridge Racer clone.

Try World Driver Championship and Rush 2.

nanhacott

Technical artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
So I dug up Star Quest I in the 27th Century, can't say I've heard about it before, looks really impressive in certain aspects and pretty janky in others, but it does tick a lot of the boxes.

Yes! Impressive sleuthing.

592341-star-quest-i-in-the-27th-century-dos-screenshot-title-screen.png
592370-star-quest-i-in-the-27th-century-dos-screenshot-another-cockpit.png

For a tiny game released in 1995, it was pretty ambitious. Looks like it was developed by a small company near Montreal -- I picked up a boxed copy at a computer expo in Winnipeg. I was starting to wonder if it was a very local release that never saw wider distribution.

...but it turned out I was EXTREMELY WRONG.

"The game was consistently ranked amongst the 'Top 40 Most Popular Games in the World' throughout 1996, as published by PC Games Chart." - Wikipedia

Crazy that one of the "most popular games in the world" can be completely unheard of twenty years later.

Oh god, there was even a horrifically failed Kickstarter for a sequel.

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017
This thread is great. I started to explain the game I have not been able to remember and it came to me while writing it, like magic.

"90's Myst like game where you start in a tent and there are like some offices and a big globe early on."

Obsidian

Thanks everyone for your help

Ichtyander

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! Impressive sleuthing.

592341-star-quest-i-in-the-27th-century-dos-screenshot-title-screen.png
592370-star-quest-i-in-the-27th-century-dos-screenshot-another-cockpit.png

For a tiny game released in 1995, it was pretty ambitious. Looks like it was developed by a small company near Montreal -- I picked up a boxed copy at a computer expo in Winnipeg. I was starting to wonder if it was a very local release that never saw wider distribution.

...but it turned out I was EXTREMELY WRONG.

"The game was consistently ranked amongst the 'Top 40 Most Popular Games in the World' throughout 1996, as published by PC Games Chart." - Wikipedia

Crazy that one of the "most popular games in the world" can be completely unheard of twenty years later.

Oh god, there was even a horrifically failed Kickstarter for a sequel.

Yep, was just watching an ADG episode about this game (notes some issues and fixes on how to run it reasonably well in DOSBox). Love that it had a little advert on the back pages of PC Gamer for a while. Seeing as it came on a CD, I wonder if the version you had was shareware, or maybe the game is just small enough anyway to fit on a few diskettes.