• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Got three here from PS1 and one PC that I remember, some more than others... so bare with me.

3. You play as a red machine/tank/car thing and you go around blowing stuff up from level to level. I don't remeber it being human controlled, maybe robotic.

Any ideas?

Got thinking of the PSX Ghost In the Shell game on 3.

Also seconding Discworld, think both 1 and 2 were released on PSX

Oct 27, 2017
I got one I could use help with.

From PC, early 2000s. A free to play online futuristic tank game, essentially hover tanks. You could do some sort of bombardments iirc. I have the visuals in my head but cannot remember the name for the life of me.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
There's a couple that have used that gimmick; the highest-profile was probably Virus, but that's 3D.

There's an experimental art game, lose/lose which generates enemies from the files on your system - and deletes them indiscriminately if you kill the enemy.

Now, i get a feeling you're talking about a newer game, nor do you mention space ships but the use of files brings mind Operation: Inner Space
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation:_Inner_Space
It is very old now though.

I believe that game is called "Operation: Inner Space". The game samples the file structure of your HD and generates levels around it. It plays like a multidirectional 2D space combat game. Folders become infected with viruses and you need to fly your space ship around cleaning the system. It was released sometime in the early to mid 90s. The game is still being sold by it's original developer online believe it or not.

(Edit: Just noticed someone else mentioned it before I did! Ooooops!)
Operation:_Inner_Space

None of these is looks like the one I had played, although these are interesting, thanks.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Liam on the Dad and Sons podcast tried to remember a game, in a discussion about Tom Clancy he thought there was a series of Tom Clancy games about ships and one of them was on the Wii. We already know it's not Battleship or HAWX he's thinking of but nobody knows what it could be.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I got one for you guys, and I have had it stuck in my head for 2 days:

It was an NES game, and I can only remember vague things:

The second level (maybe?) I think you went right to left and it rained, and there were doors that took you to boats that had swinging objects on them.

I also remember there was a level where you fought the boss at the end and it was in a place with I believe a green background.

I can't remember too much about the game, but I remember it being a 2D game but not having too much vertical screeen changing it any, it was mostly a side scrolling game. You either were or maybe fought ninjas?

Help me, Resetera, your my only hope!

Deleted member 38706

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 19, 2018
I remember a PC game that looks like Diablo II and has you summoning creatures. It was so easy to find back then. I don't know why I keep thinking of "Geoforge" even though it's not the name. Is it something "forge"?

edit: Actually, never mind. It's Geneforge. I can't believe I never tried searching "forge creature game" until now. All my other search options yielded no results. I'm so dumbfounded at how easy it was to find with the keyword being "forge"...

Slayerfolyfe

Apr 30, 2018
There was a game I played on pc which had a start screen consisting of worlds to choose from and in those worlds, were 3 levels (or more?) to choose. Most of them were locked and only the first 2 worlds were unlocked I think (probably a demo). Ok so in this game you controlled a jet in 3d view and the whole level was basically a platformer where you had to jump and stride into correct paths to avoid being crashed and your end goal was to reach the level's end before your fuel ran out. The jet only could turn right, left or to the center (it only moved forward) and could jump and if you missed the platform you would fall into space and then game over.

FunnyJay

Oct 27, 2017
There was a game I played on pc which had a start screen consisting of worlds to choose from and in those worlds, were 3 levels (or more?) to choose. Most of them were locked and only the first 2 worlds were unlocked I think (probably a demo). Ok so in this game you controlled a jet in 3d view and the whole level was basically a platformer where you had to jump and stride into correct paths to avoid being crashed and your end goal was to reach the level's end before your fuel ran out. The jet only could turn right, left or to the center (it only moved forward) and could jump and if you missed the platform you would fall into space and then game over.

Either Skyroads or Kosmonaut?

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
2. A point and click game that I literally have no recollection of other than being stuck in a 2d city/kingdom having to go around and look for what I'm supposed to do next. Vaguely remember a big snooty looking guy who may have been the main character.

Any ideas?

Also seconding Discworld, think both 1 and 2 were released on PSX

don't forget there was also discworld noir where you play a PI who might be considered "snooty looking".

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is gonna be a real doozy.

When I was a child, my mom and I would play games a lot together. She loves horror and adventure games, and it was never a big deal since I liked spooky stuff and never really got too scared. I have this really fond memory of playing an adventure game with her that I think was a first person point-and-click adventure game from sometime between 1995-1999.

The game, as I remember it, was a kinda gothy vampire game. The big thing I remember is that there was one point where you tried to get into a nightclub, but a sterotypical looking goth bouncer character said we didn't have "enough credits". I can't remember if it was voice acted or my mother read the dialogue aloud. I think it was voice acted.

I've tried really hard to figure out what this game was. For a long time I assumed that it was related to Vampire: The Masquerade, but I've since played both of those games and know for sure it isn't Redemption, or, obviously, Bloodlines. I thought maybe it was Gabriel Knight 2, but that didn't seem right either looking at gameplay footage (unless my memory is so warped that I'm completely mistaken).

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I would be over the moon if I could figure out this long-lasting mystery.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
This is gonna be a real doozy.

When I was a child, my mom and I would play games a lot together. She loves horror and adventure games, and it was never a big deal since I liked spooky stuff and never really got too scared. I have this really fond memory of playing an adventure game with her that I think was a first person point-and-click adventure game from sometime between 1995-1999.

The game, as I remember it, was a kinda gothy vampire game. The big thing I remember is that there was one point where you tried to get into a nightclub, but a sterotypical looking goth bouncer character said we didn't have "enough credits". I can't remember if it was voice acted or my mother read the dialogue aloud. I think it was voice acted.

I've tried really hard to figure out what this game was. For a long time I assumed that it was related to Vampire: The Masquerade, but I've since played both of those games and know for sure it isn't Redemption, or, obviously, Bloodlines. I thought maybe it was Gabriel Knight 2, but that didn't seem right either looking at gameplay footage (unless my memory is so warped that I'm completely mistaken).

Does this ring any bells for anyone? I would be over the moon if I could figure out this long-lasting mystery.

Could it be Bloodnet?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Could it be Bloodnet?

That's a good guess, and I do think we played this game, but I don't think it is the one I'm describing. I remember the game being less techno-futuristic.

I played a lot of vampire games with my mother. One of my earliest gaming memories was playing through D/D's Diner with her.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I got one I could use help with.

From PC, early 2000s. A free to play online futuristic tank game, essentially hover tanks. You could do some sort of bombardments iirc. I have the visuals in my head but cannot remember the name for the life of me.

Is it Tanarus? Never played it but I remember it being talked about long ago.

TJ Vauthier

Jan 10, 2018
Kansas City, MO
There was this one game for N64 that I played once when I was a kid. You were some sort of soldiers fighting giant ants. It wasn't Jet Force Gemini, this game looked more "realistic" (lifelike proportions, natural looking colors). I didnt get very far into it because I rented it and the save that was on there was way into the game

Lady Justice

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
There was this one game for N64 that I played once when I was a kid. You were some sort of soldiers fighting giant ants. It wasn't Jet Force Gemini, this game looked more "realistic" (lifelike proportions, natural looking colors). I didnt get very far into it because I rented it and the save that was on there was way into the game

Sounds to me like Body Harvest.
Great Game..

Wibblewozzer

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Could also be Armorines if not Body Harvest as suggested above.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Could it be Bloodnet?

Holy shit! I found it! It wasn't Bloodnet, but it was Gothos! I finally found it by searching through videos related to Bloodnet on Youtube.

That was the key I needed to figure this out... I texted my mom the cover and she immediately said "I remember that! It was hot garbage!"

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit! I found it! It wasn't Bloodnet, but it was Gothos! I finally found it by searching through videos related to Bloodnet on Youtube.

That was the key I needed to figure this out... I texted my mom the cover and she immediately said "I remember that! It was hot garbage!"

wow, never heard of that one.. good find!

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
So a friend of mine is trying to recall an RPG - probably for NES based on his recollection of the visuals - where you are in a dwarf underground town and every time you climb up one level, the lava rises.

I didn't play many (any?) NES RPGs so I'm afraid I can't really help him - it might really simple if you have though. Anybody have any suggestions?

Powerpuff

Oct 28, 2017
So a friend of mine is trying to recall an RPG - probably for NES based on his recollection of the visuals - where you are in a dwarf underground town and every time you climb up one level, the lava rises.

I didn't play many (any?) NES RPGs so I'm afraid I can't really help him - it might really simple if you have though. Anybody have any suggestions?
Could it be Secret of Mana on SNES instead with the Dwarf Village?
latest

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I played this PC game around 2004-2005? But there's a decent chance it was older than that.

It was one of those games where you picked a faction, built up a settlement, and went and attacked other settlement factions with various types of units. Each faction had special feats/powers--I recall there being a skeleton faction and an elemental faction, among others. The layout sort of looked like civ but there was no grid, iirc.

This is likely too broad and vague but that's all I recall unfortunately.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I played this PC game around 2004-2005? But there's a decent chance it was older than that.

It was one of those games where you picked a faction, built up a settlement, and went and attacked other settlement factions with various types of units. Each faction had special feats/powers--I recall there being a skeleton faction and an elemental faction, among others. The layout sort of looked like civ but there was no grid, iirc.

This is likely too broad and vague but that's all I recall unfortunately.

Sounds like Heroes of Might and Magic, specifically 3 or onwards (But better double check 1 and 2 to make sure)

Niahak

Oct 25, 2017

There was a section of Paladin's Quest (SNES) like that. It's a little better than NES visuals but I could see an argument it looks NES-ish. Don't recall any NES RPGs like that, but I didn't play them all.

Alienhated

Oct 25, 2017
So, i remember watching this childhood friend of mine playing some strange one-on-one beat 'em up (but i'm not 100% sure about that) on a Sega Megadrive/Genesis, and the particular thing about it was that whenever he lost a match he had to fight a nearly impossible encounter against the Death itself, or something like that.
Anyone has a clue about what game could that be?

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
So, i remember watching this childhood friend of mine playing some strange one-on-one beat 'em up (but i'm not 100% sure about that) on a Sega Megadrive/Genesis, and the particular thing about it was that whenever he lost a match he had to fight a nearly impossible encounter against the Death itself, or something like that.

Was it a fighting game, or more in the style of Streets of Rage/Final Fight?

I haven't been able to find anything with what you mention, but Slaughter Sport has some characters that could be mistaken for death or the devil.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon fighting game

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
This side scrolling shoot em up where it looks like it takes place on Earth but you are fighting alien ships in the air. It was on the NES iirc.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
this looks very familiar to me. Unfortunately, I don't know where it's from. If I had to guess, and it's pretty vague, I'd say some Genesis rpg, possibly a first person dungeon crawler.

I'm thinking something in that direction because the are kind of large for how low color the are. Definitely still portraits. I really can't say any of it rings a bell for me, tho.

krg

Oct 27, 2017
yes! just found it myself, that's definitely the one I was talking about, thanks.