• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Blitzrules240

Self requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Also I want to say it's refreshing to not be alone in quitting games. I always feel a bit ashamed dropping games but I guess it's more common than I think.

blakiebear1

Jul 13, 2018
The final boss of Dragon Quest 4 has like 7 phases. I made it to the final one and then died. It had to have been like 30 minutes of battling, lmao. I said okay we're done here after that

brink22

Feb 22, 2018
Control - annoying difficulty spike at the end.

The Last Guardian - Thoss controls finally pissed me off to the point I dropped it. Didn't know I was basically at the end.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Yookalaylee

I just remember the last boss being annoying and deciding I didn't care enough to finish the game.

duck-doomster

Feb 1, 2019
I've done this with multiple RPGs in the past, for some reason. I can't even say it was due to something sentimental like "not wanting it to end", perhaps it was just a bit of burn out or not wanting to play out the endings. Examples include Dragon Age: Origins, Lost Odyssey, Star Ocean 4, and originally Persona 5 until my friend insisted I just do the final battle.

However, nowadays I tend to complete the games I enjoy (which are most games) or drop them before the halfway point if I'm not enjoying it.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I used to do this a lot back in the psx days with RPGS. I remember playing a bunch where I'd save the game at the last dungeon or boss fight but never play any farther. I definitely remember doing this with FF7, DQ8 and FFX.

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
Not quite the end, but I quit at the Triforce shard hunt in Wind Waker. I finally bit the bullet and finished several years later.

Got close to the end of Star Fox Adventures before quitting. Don't even remember why I quit, but I sold my copy, so I doubt I'll ever finish it.

dtcm83

Oct 28, 2017
Most recently was xenoblade chronicles, put many many hours into it, got to what I think is the last (or close to last) area and gave up because I kept repeatedly getting my butt handed to me and I think maybe I was under leveled.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Not me, but one of my friends got to the Dragon Maleficent boss fight in Kingdom Hearts 1 and dropped the game because he couldn't beat it. Infuriatingly close to the end of the game.

Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly what you're asking for but I did this with the harry potter movies

I never cared much for harry potter but people my age group absolutely could not stop moaning about it and kept begging me to watch, so one day I did
I got all the way until like the last half hour of the final movie, then something interrupted me
and I just didnt come back
I got within arm's reach of the finish line and just could not give a shit

I hear the books are where it's really at, but so far I have not made the effort
btw the best harry potter movie was the one by Alfonso Cuarón, whichever one that was

Last edited:

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Despite being a huge Kingdom Hearts fan, I dropped out of DDD right on the final boss. The game has a mechanic that forces the player to switch between the two main characters so the last boss are actually two different guys (sorta) you fight at the same time, in different locations with different protagonists. I beat one of them but got my ass whopped by the other, leading to a game over screen. I took a break and never came back and it took me playing the remaster on PS4 to finally beat the fucker.

Oct 31, 2017
Sekiro. Fuck that last boss.
I grinded until I was Level 23

that's probably like 5 hours' worth if not more

People online say that it's "useless" to grind but it REALLY helped. Like holy shit. I died probably a total of like 7 times. Their posture went down really fast. I mean, I still had to know most of their movesets, but it made it a much quicker and easier process.

earthsucks

Oct 27, 2017
au
wow, lots of FF13 final boss posts. i struggled too due to
orphan's instant death
, but it's a pretty easy fight once you equip at least x2 (ideally x3) cherub crowns to lightning.

Oct 27, 2017
In my time, that would be ffx and heavenly sword. I bought ffx again on ps4 so one day, I'll go back to it one day or year.

Komali

Sep 25, 2018
But it's so easy to level grind in XIII-2

like, so so easy lol

but meh

in my opinion if you don't finish something, 99% of the time it's because the overall experience probably didn't gel with you, so it is what it is

You're right, I just wanted to finish it so it didn't feel like a waste of money. The first game was definitely better imo.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Persona 5. Just realized I didn't care anymore. The story was too much of a trainwreck for me and the gameplay got stale 30 hours ago. Still liked the experience overall but it needed a lot of editing.

And sadly, Sekiro. I blame ill health I had at the time as much as the obscene difficulty of Isshin the Sword Saint. I will definitely revisit this at another time as it is no doubt a masterpiece of a game that I need to see to completion.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Quitting games at the end is one thing I do best! I don't have a real reason, I just never come back. First three that come to mind is Xenosaga EP1, The Last Remnant, and Sekiro.

The Last Remnant is a funny one considering how much I love that game. I put so many hours in and did all the optional stuff including beating the BS final optional boss at the end. After I did that, I just never returned and that's the second time I've done that in that game.

Sekiro is another odd one. I love that game. I didn't quit out of frustration or anything. I was just about to fight the final boss when I stopped, I didn't even attempt him. I just stopped.

Edit: A couple more just popped in my head Final Fantasy: Crisis Core. I'm pretty sure I didn't attempt the final boss in that either. A friend of mine was a huge fan of the game and was losing his mind because he wanted me to beat it. I never did though.

An honorable mention. One of my favorite games of all time, Tactics Ogre, I stopped at the end twice. I did manage to finally beat it on my third playthrough, however.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bad habit of losing interest as I reach the final stage or boss. I guess I care more about the journey / exploration than actually seeing the story through.

ergoakari

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
God of War: Ascension - The Trial of Archimedes. I had it on the hardest difficulty you could pick out of the box and tried for hours. I threw the game in the garbage.

Apr 24, 2018
Final Fantasy 12 (PS2 release) - I was at the final dungeon and there was an annoying puzzle involving an elevator type mechanism if memory serves correctly, and I believe if you solved the puzzle incorrectly, you were forced into a battle. I had already hated the entire game as is and played it just because of the Final Fantasy name, though I had a feeling with Sakaguchi being gone the series would no longer be the same (and I was sadly right).

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
When I'm playing JRPGs I more often than not end up quitting near the end instead of finishing. The last boss or boss gauntlet is usually some ridiculously tough shit that required hours of grinding that I did not do.

Modern JRPGs are much better in this regard, but for older ones, I play up to the last boss or so and then YouTube the rest.

It's a major point of frustration wrt the JRPG genre for me, that these games somehow allow you to get to the final boss underlevelled, and THEN throw this insurmountable obstacle. I still think, oh maybe there's some trick involved here, but looking online I learn I'm way underlevelled and should have been grinding a lot more earlier.

Even if they just gated you better across the game it'd be fine.

Salpal

Oct 25, 2017
The difficulty spikes at the end of Control got me to quit. I can usually force myself to power through something like that but that one was too annoying

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
The difficulty spikes at the end of Control got me to quit. I can usually force myself to power through something like that but that one was too annoying

Oh, this is a good one. I was absolutely going to rage quit at
the part with the rising platform arenas
, but I somehow soldiered through and made it after 2 hours.

Tater

Oct 30, 2017
Etrian Odyssey 4. I grinded through the whole game and had fun. Made it to the end boss, was a long battle IIRC, and found out I was going to have to grind a bunch more to win. I had done enough grinding, I wanted out.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hades. Escaped with my favourite weapons then didn't feel like doing it with the others. Just not nearly enough variety in enemy and room configurations.

Apr 23, 2019
Final Fantasy 8 and 12, 8 at the final dungeon and 12 at the final boss.

I played through the series in order back years ago (back when 12 was the newest entry), and completed all of the other games. I even grinded to max level and did the optional super bosses in 7, 9, and 10.

To this day, I still can't remember why. I don't remember getting stuck on anything. I guess I just randomly stopped enjoying those games in their final hours (or minutes, for 12). It's frustrating in retrospect though, as I can't say I completed my chronological FF series playthrough without that little addendum lol

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
FFVII for me as a kid. I had trouble killing the NA weapons so I quit for a good few years and came back and killed Sephiroth easy just for the hell of it.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Never did beat Lavos at the end of Chrono Trigger, even though I'm at the very end of the game. I should probably do that sometime. Same with the Phoenix Cave in FFVI. Not that I disliked either. I loved both, but for some reason never finished either.
Final Fantasy 12 (PS2 release) - I was at the final dungeon and there was an annoying puzzle involving an elevator type mechanism if memory serves correctly, and I believe if you solved the puzzle incorrectly, you were forced into a battle. I had already hated the entire game as is and played it just because of the Final Fantasy name, though I had a feeling with Sakaguchi being gone the series would no longer be the same (and I was sadly right).
I had lost my memory card with my FFXII save on it that was right at the end and never went back to it as I didn't want to actually play the game anymore. Still haven't after all these years and I feel like I'm not missing out.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, TWICE. I didn't hate the game as most people on the internet, but I never had the motivation to finish it. The reason I dropped it twice was the second time was like years after the first time I stopped and I tried it from the beginning again and still couldn't bring myself to finish.

Sep 14, 2018
Star Ocean: The Last Hope. I got to a point in the game where I started rushing through it just to finish because I disliked it so much, got to the final boss, was too weak to beat it, and I didn't want to grind or get good. So I just found the ending on YouTube. This was back in 2009 or 2010.

Pastebutty

Oct 29, 2017
Dead Space 2. I seem to remember a section with just a shit ton of enemies not long after the infamous eye scene. I didn't even give it a proper go, maybe 3 or 4 attempts and I just couldn't be arsed any more so did the same as OP and looked up the ending.

Edit: I've remembered I did it with GTA IV as well. I tried the last mission where you're on a motorbike chasing someone about 5 times and then just dropped it like a stone.

Mugen

Oct 28, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
The Last of Us. Remember I was about to cross some abandoned street with snipers at the end, I guess about 20 chapters in. I already felt the game was so very overrated that I did not really want to replay any area, so ended it there after a couple of attempts.

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I've started to do that when I'm seriously underpowered for the last boss fight, and improving on that doesn't seem like it would be much fun. Or, if the game allows it, I might lower the difficulty setting at that point instead. I can always watch the ending on Youtube, and these days I'm not too bothered losing out on the feeling of accomplishment, especially if I suspect it would mostly be a matter of grinding.

The most recent example was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, where I got to the final form of the last boss of the best ending, but had trouble making much of a dent on it. I felt done with the rest of the game at that point, although I was aware of some loose ends I could have pursued to strengthen my character (a few optional bosses, cooking all the food for the hungry lady, some bounties).

Before that, my experience with FF13: Lightning Returns was similar. The final area is closed off, and gives you a chance to fight the final boss directly, or grind for special weapons/armor until you feel ready. Did some of the latter, but stopped short of obtaining everything, and again had problems with the final form of the last boss. Watched the ending on Youtube, and didn't regret it a bit.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Nearly every single Zelda game that I've played. I end up playing until the last dungeon or so and just stop and never end up finishing them. Ive played numerous of them but Minish Cap is the only one I've beat start to finish.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Final Fantasy XIII. I got to Orphan and just didn't feel up for that fight at the time. "I'll go back to it" and just kind of never did. Always mildly bothered me but I've never cared enough to dig it out and play it again. Maybe if the XIII saga got a rerelease I finally would.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Most of the later Mega Man games (all series, not just classic). The final bosses are already huge difficulty spikes with three phases you have to beat in a single life but especially the later games tend to place the boss refights in the same stage as the final boss. Here's your three tries at learning the boss's patterns, after you use them you have to fight all the bosses in the game again... Oh and the password based games will of course not save your progress through the final stages (some classic MMs have 8 stages in their Wily/fake villain castles) so if you turn the system off because you had enough for today, tough luck.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
For some reason I quit Devil May Cry (PS2) at the final boss. Not out of frustration I think, as I only remember dying to him once, but out of feeling that I had experienced all that the game had to offer. Quite a few games I play are like this for me, but rarely that late in the game.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Sekiro, wasn't having fun the whole way through. Final boss was peak not having fun. Man I did not enjoy that game at all.