• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

baconcow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Two games I stopped playing shortly before the end. I believe both were due to University or some other distraction at the time.

Assassin's Creed II
Red Dead Redemption

I tried to go back into them much later but had forgotten some of the plot and didn't feel like restarting.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
FFIV on GBA. I couldn't beat the final boss and just watched the ending on YouTube.

serdarkny

Nov 10, 2018
Doom Eternal, because I refuse to beat it on anything other than Ultra Nightmare. Someday I'll go back to it and beat it.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I quit Majora's Mask close to the end twice and never actually finished it. First time was cause I was playing the original N64 one after OoT3D had came out and thought "hmm, they'll 100% announce a remake so I think I'll wait and play that instead". Then the remake came out and realized I prefer the original version better, so I stopped playing after the third dungeon lol.

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
I quit Final Fantasy 8 on the final dungeon on my first playthrough. I just really wasn't feeling the game at all, then the final dungeon locks out all of your abilities and it was annoying to me. I saw a friend beat the final boss and watched the ending, and just felt like I had no reason to play it anymore.

Turns out the last dungeon wasn't so bad and FF8 was a pretty good game. Some of us were too harsh on it back when it came out.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider Underworld - The last level wouldn't even load properly for me, it would always freeze (PS3). I just watched the cutscenes afterwards but it's a shame, I rather enjoyed the game up to that point.

Persona 3 FES - At about the halfway point a cutscene would always freeze. I would replay it on a newer system but I want FES and it does not seem to be on any other platform.

Slushimi

Oct 30, 2017
SMT IV. Accidentally got the neutral route and was glad I did since it's considered the canon route.. Until I realized finishing the neutral route meant doing a shit ton of obscure side quests. Didn't bother to finish it

Oct 27, 2017
For me just two:

skyward sword: could not get the motion controls to work properly in the final battle with having to raise it straight up to the sky, after hours of the controls not being responsive I just watched the ending on YT.

Kingdom Hearts: last boss has like 6 super hard stages to it and I got maybe to the 4th stage after hours of failing. If you die once you repeat the whole battle, no matter what stage you were on. Even in HD version they didn't fix this. Enjoyed the game for what it was but gave up on this.

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Fallout 4. Wasn't into the endgame paths for each faction and also didn't want to lock myself out of others by committing. I know I'm right there if I wanted to see credits but I think I'm good.

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
Octopath Traveler. I ain't doing that gauntlet only to get wiped out by that final boss again simply because I didn't make my characters exactly how the boss requires them.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Grandia 2 for me. Made it to the very final dungeon but stopped for some reason.

Also, this thread is very similar:

www.resetera.com

Get To The End Game and Stop Because it's So good?

Was going back through a few games I left off at the end game, because I was enjoying them so much, but then they hit the backlog. This happen to any of you? Right now I'm at the end bosses of DQ11S and Links Awakening and Astral Chain. I just don't want them to end, but I put them off and...

Furisu

Poutine on the Ritz
Dec 5, 2018
I never finished Warioland: Shake It! because I was not able to beat the final boss. That boss was far more difficult than anything that had come before it. It has been four years since then and I doubt that I will plug in my Wii U again to finish what I started. Oh well.

Metro Cow

Nov 28, 2020
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

The boss fights are too long and drawn out with no checkpoints and I just straight up didn't bother to beat the final boss.

joefro

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 5, 2018
Louisiana
Yoshi's Island
Brutal Legend
Avengers

Yoshi's Island and Brutal Legend...I couldn't beat the final encounters/bosses. Avenger's...I just got bored of it with one mission left.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Got mid-way into the final dungeon of Ninokuni and realised I had no idea how combat in the game worked

SpookySpice

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 22, 2019
Played through BOTW twice and both times I stopped after getting all 4 beasts. All that's left is the final boss but I never want to leave things unfinished and there always seems to be a huge list of things to do in that game and then I eventually fall off.

I don't play Zelda for the story so I don't really care how it ends but I guess I should just do it for the sequel.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Stopped playing Gravity Rush on Vita just before the final mission, because I didn't want it to end.

Finished it later on PS4, terrible ending. :D

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword. Got to the last boss and thought "well this is stupid and not fun at all" and just never played it again

lt519

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age: Origins, I got the final boss to like a sliver of health and died after a very long fight. Knew I could do it if I tried again, but never bothered because the fight was so annoying with the trebuchets.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Super Meat Boy ... I got to the final boss (or one of the final bosses) and there was a stupidly long stretch of the fight with no checkpoint. After dying in later sections and having to re-do earlier stuff several times I quit, uninstalled, and have never played again.

I was tired of the game before that and was just trying to push through to some sort of ending, but eh. Not worth it if I'm not having fun.

Aug 7, 2020
I stopped playing GTAIV near the end of Ballad of Gay Tony because at that point I just got sick of the characters and Dan Houser's writing. Really wish I'd skipped TLAD, which was even worse.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The original God of War. Fuck the lack of checkpoints on that multipart final boss. I just watched the ending on Youtube or whatever.

Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars Squadrons.
I had like 2 missions left in the campaign but every time i'd boot up to play it someone always wanted to play MP so I just never finished the campaign and then we stopped playing the game all together lmao.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Unleashed. Eggmanland on PS3 was terrible and I wasn't going to restart that level, fuck it.
It's terrible on the PS2 as well! I remember being on a big Sonic kick a few years back and was going through the games I missed and while I think the day sections in Unleashed are really good even on the PS2, Eggman Land was frustrating beyond compare.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Final Fantasy numbers 7,8,10,13 are the ones that spring to mind.

Fallout 4 more recently. I think I've teased every side as long as I can, but I can't commit to choosing a side.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time comes vividly to mind because taking away the Dagger of Time while making sense thematically introduced the very tedium the gameplay gimmick sought to eliminate, to the point where I just up and quit.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The only one I can think of is Star Ocean 2. When I was younger, I managed to get to the final boss but could never beat them, so I put the game down for a long time. One day my buddy accidentally overwrote my save when he forgot to swap my memory card for his. About a year after that I started the game from scratch and finished it.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
In Darksiders 2 I always stopped right at the final boss door. I don't know why, life happened and I just stopped playing, then lost the will to continue. This happened two times already

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Only game was FF 15 at launch, right at that awful last chapter I dropped it.
I know it's been updated now but fuck it was so bad.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
God of War 3. I just couldn't kill Zeus and at this point i'd basically have to start over cause that mechanical skill is long gone.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Control was making me angry. Needed a break.
Pretty sure I have all powers and weapons.

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy VII - I got to Sephiroth but had a completionist itch to get the Knights of the Round summon. I never did get that gold chocobo...
Hollow Knight (true ending) - As much as I adored the game, it was a long journey to finally face off against The Radiance. I didn't have the endurance left to get through that battle.
Sekiro - I enjoyed Sekiro but the rhythm-game-like rock-paper-scissors style encounter design never resonated with me that much. Having to clear the first phase of the final boss every single attempt burned me out.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That 2D Ubisoft game were you switch colours between red and blue. I've beaten many hard games in my time but this just pissed me off, wasn't a good game but I usually finish.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Xenosaga Ep2, last boss was mathematically impossible for my level so I decided to leave it and watch the ending on YouTube.

Besides, I didn't like the game that much.

HeartofWinds

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest IX, twice within the span of 6 years. Don't know what it is about that endgame, but I just fell off the game right at the end for some reason...

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Far Cry: Primal. I literally made it to like the second to last level then just stopped playing. I switched to a PS4 pro and didn't bother moving my hard drive data over, so the data got wiped.

Went back and was pretty salty when I learned I was like an hour away from beating it originally.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Just recently Persona 5 and FFVII Remake. Persona 5 I was in the actual last dungeon and looked up that I had some long ass boss gauntlet and battle against god to do and just lost the will to do it. Game should've ended when you beat the guy on the boat.

FFVII Remake I was in the last group of final bosses, a solo one where you had just Aerith and Barrett fighting some robot thing. I got about halfway through and it started using some shields or something and I could not for the life of me figure out how to do any more damage to it. Similar to Persona 5, it should've ended on an earlier boss fight (the cool Jenova Dream one) but just kept going and going...

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
I quit Doom 2016 right as I was about to walk into Hell proper. I was wavering on it for a few hours before that moment but just conveniently reached the end of my tether as soon as Hell was about to begin. It's just a very shallow game.

Almost did the same thing last week, I pushed through it though and finished it.

The maps are designed really well but the combat didn't do it for me.

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I got to the end of Fallout 4 a few years ago, said I was gonna beat it the next day and I have never gone back to finish the last part of the game lol. I have no desire to either.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Not sure how close I am to the actual end of the game, but I got worked by the Khan Maykr in Doom Eternal enough times that I am not planning on going back to it. I was kinda slogging through the game just to finish it prior to that point anyway, so no big loss.