• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls and Bloodborne, without a guide I probably miss tons of contents (items, areas, bosses, etc).

Shin Megami Tensei IV for the Neutral Ending.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Quite a few games but most notably Super Metroid. I made sure to get every single item...

...then I got 99% when I finished somehow. I have no idea what I missed but hell if I'm going back to find out.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I personally haven't but getting 100% in Digimon World without a guide is probably impossible?
There's only one way to try out!lol

I have had the official German guide book for Digimon World and even that one is cryptic and vague as heck. So even with the guide book I was not able to beat the game 100% (and because of the infamous Agumon bug in the German PAL version). I had to check some hints and tips on the internet.

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
I never use them in my first playthrough, but if I want to replay the game for whatever reason then I usually use guides to see what did I miss the first time

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I'm just about at the end of Grim Fandango Remastered, and while I absolutely love the story, the world, the setting, the tone, and its overall creative spirit, the "game" part is just awful. Esoteric nonsense puzzles, pixel-hunting to stand at the exact right spot—needless to say, I played this game 100% using IGN's walkthrough without hesitation.

Any game you played through mostly if not all with a guide?
Earthbound because the guide is awesome and makes it more immersive.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Only some old RPGs. The one I remember well is Earthbound Beginnings when it was called that. Didn't want to miss the melodies and sometimes enemy levels would get higher than I would expect, so I often looked up ahead in a guide.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne is the only time i've ever done this.

I had tried playing souls before and just kept banging my head into the wall, fucking EVERYONE was saying that these games were the GOAT and i just didn't understand it, it felt cheap and poorly designed, but Bloodborne looked so damn good that i wanted to try again so i bought the guide.

It ended being a great decision, it taught me how to play the game, it made me understand what the game was wanting from me, it told me about invincibility frames and basic shit like that the game doesn't explain (or doesn't explain well enough). It put me in the right mindset and i ended up beating the game and loving it. Then when Dark Souls 3 came around i didn't need a guide, same with Nioh.

It's by far the best strategy guide i've ever seen, not only does it have all the basic information that you want like stats and maps, it explains strategy which was the most important thing, it's also basically a art book. I can't recommend it enough if you've ever wanted to get into the souls games.

Kivvi

Jun 25, 2018
I have had the official German guide book for Digimon World and even that one is cryptic and vague as heck. So even with the guide book I was not able to beat the game 100% (and because of the infamous Agumon bug in the German PAL version). I had to check some hints and tips on the internet.
Not even the official guide book can help us German PAL Digimon World fans. I love this games for all the wrong reasons. Mind if I ask what things the guide has? Digimon evolution trees? A map of the whole island?

Oct 13, 2018
This thread topic is why I shy away from JRPGs. I'm not going to comb every inch of a pre-rendered background for secret weapons or useful items that doesn't even show a pickup prompt or hint. These games all too often exemplify the worst kinds of exploration.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Full Throttle.

I was like 12 at the time, some of the puzzles in that game are impossible.

LiK

Oct 25, 2017
P4G and P5 NG+ for the true endings and getting all Max ranks.

Zelda OoT

Layton games

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Symphony of the Night via EGM2 . . . . before i realized that getting lost (and discovering new stuff) are half-the fun in these type of games. I dont think i've used any guides since then.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
only time ive used a guide first time to proceed was in myst games (selenitic age puzzle in the first, marble puzzle in riven)

i use guides to get 100%/best endings in games where its obtuse to get them, but only after playing at least once in my own terms

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm terrible at these adventure games but always waste some 20 minutes trying to solve the puzzles or next progress point before resorting to a guide. I always have a guide ready tho, i guess i never really finished any of these games 100% without a guide.

Suikoden 1. Fuck playing a JRPG for dozens of hours only to miss one of the 108 stars of destiny and not get the true ending because I didn't think of doing some protracted bullshit at some point no one would think of doing on their own.

I hate these types of games. This is why I haven't given Suikoden 2 a chance even though it's supposed to be the better game.

Yeah, this is a thing i hate about Suikoden series despite liking a lot some of the entries.

Finished both Suikoden 1 and 2 without a guide but with a lot of characters missing. The endings gets sorta bad but it's not the end of the world.

Though i dropped Suikoden 5 for a similar reason. Great game but i felt forced to get every char at the time but using guide for the entire game is just not fun at all.

Still, i would recommend Suikoden 2 anyway. It's a incredible ride and light years better than the first. The "didn't got everyone" ending is not exactly bad.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The first Golden Sun. For some reason I couldn't find anything without a guide

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Not even the official guide book can help us German PAL Digimon World fans. I love this games for all the wrong reasons. Mind if I ask what things the guide has? Digimon evolution trees? A map of the whole island?

Yeah exactly. It introduces all the different places and it gives you vague hints what Digimon might be recruitable but it doesn't really tell you how you get them to join the city. The last part of the guide has the evolution trees and all the in-game items and what effect they have.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Frankly I don't know how anyone plays through those older adventure games without a guide. I mean, I get it if you were a kid when you played them and had infinite spare time and nothing else to play, but as an adult with a backlog in 2018 I'm just not going to do the "use every item on every interactable thing" routine every time I get stuck on a totally unintuitive puzzle.
Oh yeah, I couldn't figure that one out either, and I just don't have time to be stumped for days.
I have a feeling that some of those adventure games were deliberately obtuse to encourage people to call their top hotline and pay by the minute for hints

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I played Root Double: Before Crime * After Days entirely with a guide since the flag system is a fucking nightmare, and has you manipulating this shit to branch the narrative:

Root-Double-2-min.jpg

For context, you're not selecting one of these people. You're setting your attitude for all of them simultaneously, across different levels, and then the game decides the outcome based on how those numbers square of against each other in the moment (Two people argue, you input from min to max for 8 different characters to decide who you support in the argument, and there's ridiculously specific triggers like supporting guy #4, who hasn't spoken, when #5 and #6 are the ones arguing, and you can set them both to max for a specific scene, or both to min for a specific scene, etc...).

Great game overall, but terrible, awful system.
Same. I get they tried to do something more involved than a simple multiple choices system but it's just terrible. It barely makes sense most of the time and it's often inconsistent.

Like, I love the game but this shit is just awful.

Nuke

Oct 25, 2017
Mirassol, SP, Brazil
When I'm going to start a new game, the first thing I do is to search if there're missable stuff.

- If there are missable stuff and the game doesn't have New Game+, I´ll use a guide;
- If the game have New Game+ or doesn't have missable items, I just play without guides.

Oh yeah, I couldn't figure that one out either, and I just don't have time to be stumped for days.
I have a feeling that some of those adventure games were deliberately obtuse to encourage people to call their top hotline and pay by the minute for hints
My mom did that when playing Longest Journey. You have to call the bird with a flute, but it only works when the character stands at a certain spot. ^^
You can argue about the difficulty of riddles in PnCs in general, but the real horror are the old ones, where you could get stuck in a dead end when played wrong, ruining it completely and forcing you to start over. Like the mentioned I have no Mouth or Legend of Kyranida, Dreamweb, Dark Seed, Maniac Mansion and many more. The "one wrong click and you are dead" thing Sierra loved to have is not encouraging of trying out stuff either. Just makes you save after every click.

RenorMirshann

Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
Poland
Stasis and that free prequel of it.

Great games, but guessing where to go and what to do is not fun for me.

And if I ever go back and play some of the point and click adventure classics I missed, I'm 100% using a guide.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Came in to this topic expecting Grim Fandango and OP had it covered in the first post. I love that game but I doubt there are many people who beat it without using a guide for parts.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Ryu Ga Gotoku Kenzan! On ps3 with a translation guide. Great Yakuza game with samurais.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I doubt anyone got to see Valkyrie Profile's real ending without following a guide every step of the way. My first playthrough I went in blind and ended up very disappointed at how the game stopped so abruptly.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
In the PlayStation days I played most of Tomb Raider 2 with a guide... and still managed to get stuck in Temple of Xian, so I had to use a cheat to skip the level.

I recently needed a guide playing Earthbound Beginnings. The game can be very confusing at times.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
I recently wrapped up playing every mainline Dragon Quest game that was released in the US, and I used a guide pretty much the whole way through Dragon Warrior II for the Game Boy Color since that game makes no sense.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I have zero problems with using guides - you paid money for the game you can access it however you damn well please - that said the ones that come into my mind are Persona 4 and 5 - they are long ass games and sometimes maybe I don't get the nuances in their characters so figuring out which answer gives me 3 Social Rank points I will look up. If they coincide with what I thought then happy days. If not I care not. Get that Social Rank going up at all times. Games are long af without only get 1 or 2 pity points.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
I play the Souls games with the wiki on my phone, simply because there is so much that is missable, needlessly obtuse or that you get one chance to do and not knowing about it before hand means you've fucked it up. Not just small stuff too, I don't know how anyone accesses the DLC in Dark Souls without a guide.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario: Sticker Star is borderline unplayable without a guide. It still sucks even with one, but at least you don't have to go through the tedium of retrying everything tons of times.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
I played the majority of Dark Souls with a guide after not really knowing where to go after ringing the first bell. I only knew I need to go downwards to ring the second bell but after having no luck in New Londo Ruins and The Catacombs, I gave up until I decided to look it up on a wiki.

For the rest of the game I kept consulting it when I had no idea what to do next.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Adding Phoenix Wright And Justice for All to this list. I played the first one legit, but I actually find it much more enjoyable to play these games with a guide.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like Ace Attorney is easy enough to figure out. The only time I had trouble was when I dropped the game for a year mid case lol, and when I figured some things out before the game wanted me to, so I had to basically get it wrong on purpose just so I could continue the trial and a new testimony or something would come out and be what I thought in the first place.

I used a guide throughout Dragon's Dogma, solely due to the way sidequests work on that game.

tiza blanca

May 9, 2020
I'm just about at the end of Grim Fandango Remastered, and while I absolutely love the story, the world, the setting, the tone, and its overall creative spirit, the "game" part is just awful. Esoteric nonsense puzzles, pixel-hunting to stand at the exact right spot—needless to say, I played this game 100% using IGN's walkthrough without hesitation.

Any game you played through mostly if not all with a guide?

Grim Fandango was the first thing came to my mind when I read the title and it's right at the start of the thread lol.

It would be great if they remade it with better gameplay since I quite like the setting and characters.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Adding Phoenix Wright And Justice for All to this list. I played the first one legit, but I actually find it much more enjoyable to play these games with a guide.

How
I can't think of an explanation to this. It's not like the game is even hard or possible to be hard. You get railroaded into either a) pick the right option or b) pick the wrong option till you die then you reload and pick the right option.
It's a "mystery" game, reading about the mystery beforehand on a guide and just clicking buttons to go through it ruins the entire purpose in my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
100%? None. For me, figuring stuff out for myself and exploring is one the best things about games. I'm pretty patient in that regard. I have used guides for single puzzles that I just couldn't solve.