• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Games where you can just play it, without really thinking much about what's actually going on in the game.

These could be games that are made with replay-ability, like puzzle games, or rhythm games.

Or, they can be games that you've played to death, and know like the back of your hand.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Dishonored and the original Deus Ex.

I think the main reason is that both games are just super quick to get into. There's no real lengthy intro sequence (well, I've got a save that instantly puts me in the prison in the case of Dishonored) and I can drop them at any time with no real qualms. I can just fuck around then dip. I'm not a speedrunner by any means but I love trying to figure out new ways to clear Dishonored levels faster (without any glitches). Great game.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Skyrim on PC with mods is the game I'll probably will still replaying until Elder Scrolls 6 comes out in 8 years. Ever since it came out in 2011, I played the heck out it in PS3, PS4, Steam & Steam Workshop and now Steam / Nexus Mods.

Now with Skyrim Remastered and Skyrim VR, the ride never ends.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Resident Evil 4, I've completed it more than thirty times and finished it again yesterday.

I don't know why but there's something about that game, I can just enter auto-pilot and play through it all in one sitting.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored and the original Deus Ex.

I think the main reason is that both games are just super quick to get into. There's no real lengthy intro sequence (well, I've got a save that instantly puts me in the prison in the case of Dishonored) and I can drop them at any time with no real qualms. I can just fuck around then dip. I'm not a speedrunner by any means but I love trying to figure out new ways to clear Dishonored levels faster (without any glitches). Great game.
Short intros make replaying games so much nicer.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed Mario 3D Land a million times on a plane, coach or when killing time in summer outside.

FF X as well because it's so linear and the music is relaxing.

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro are comfort food at this point. If I have 2 free hours and don't know what to do to pass the time, I can just beat one of them once. Possibly both.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
RE4? Skyrim? You're all pikers when it comes to gaming zone out.

There is nothing to compare to getting those gambits set up correctly in FF12 and then just laying back, pointing the left stick at whatever you want to die, and building a 100+ chain...

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Mostly some SNES classics for me, like Zelda: Link to the Past, Super Mario World, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy VI, and I could throw in Final Fantasy VII to that list as well.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Street Fighter 2. 20 something years later, and i still enjoy the hell out of it.

xneezy

Jul 6, 2018
16335467563_c1fd5853b8_b.jpg

"And so, the hunt begins again."

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Monster Hunter. It's so cathartic for me, just turning my mind off and hunt, the fact that any communication with fellow hunters is the fight itself.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never get tired of Trackmania and the Tony Hawks Pro Skater series (3 and THUG2 specifically).

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Bully, Mirror's Edge, Alan Wake.
Pretty sure I'll come back to Spider-Man many times in the future as well.

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Mega Man 2, Chrono Trigger, Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas. With mods, some games can feel fresh every time.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
NFL2k5, when I need a to unwind and kill an hour or so I can pop it on and destroy the opposing team. It isn't a challenge and hasn't been for years, but I'm not looking for a challenge, I want to destroy something.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I used to be able to replay longer games like Metal Gear Solid 3 and Mass Effect easily back in the day but now nope

Put Elite Beat Agents or Theatrhythm in front of me though and I won't stop

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne is a game I can usually mindlesy replay, although I haven't finished it a lot of times (Just twice). Resident Evil 4 and whatever the current FIFA is available are good, turn-off your mind kind of games for me.

X-Peaceman-X

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
GTA, Borderlands, Destiny. The usual play forever stuff lol. But oddly I also love those horrible low budget super hero games like Hellboy science of evil and Deapool by highmoon, I usually play thise over and over and over just cause I love the characters

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Borderlands, Doom, Bioshock (though I wouldn't call this one "mindlessly"). Mortal Kombat too, and the MGS series

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
There is nothing to compare to getting those gambits set up correctly in FF12 and then just laying back, pointing the left stick at whatever you want to die, and building a 100+ chain...
Haha, this is definitely the point where I wondered if I was actually enjoying FFXII. Like, discovering 100% HP Steal and seeing it in action was exhilarating but nothing ever matched that high again and it was more rote bookkeeping.

Anyway, on topic, I didn't really think too much most of the time in Terra Battle (mobile gacha game). The proper encounters were a blast but 90% of the game was grind that you do while watching Netflix. I dont remember if fondly, but I did play it without thinking about it.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Not including arcadey games that are meant to be replayed over and over, my answer would probably be Zelda 1 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I've replayed those games about a million times, and randomly I'll just replay one of them without thinking about it.

My most recent playthrough of OoT was entirely on accident, before I knew it I was already at the Forest Temple lol. So I said I might as well keep going...

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Any Pokémon game. I just go back to any one of them and avoid using Pokémon I'd usually pick, as to force myself to try something different at least.
Also, Dragon Age: Inquisition. Despite knowing everything there is to know about this game, I just love replaying it and trying to role-play a different character.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Kirby Super Star and Super Mario Land 2 were those types of games for me when I was a kid. I would play through these games countless times and never 100% them. Eventually, I said to myself, "You know what? I'm going to 100% this game for the first time, and then I'll be done with it!" And so, I did and haven't picked them back up since.

I don't replay much of anything nowadays.

JustTom

May 28, 2018
Germany...
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I know this game by heart. It's one of the few games I can play in both, pain and pleasure.
The other games are Uncharted 1 to 3.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Mindlessly? A lot of NES games like Megaman 2 and Ninja Gaiden 2. When you get in the flow of those games it is just a lot of fun and they can be finished really quickly.

Chrono Trigger is my most replayed game but I won't say I enjoy playing it mindlessly. I always get into that game no matter how many times I play it.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
Link's Awakening GB
Donkey Kong '94
Mario Land 1 & 2
Dark Souls (new addition to the list)
Kirby's Dream Land
Pokemon Leaf Green

and of course
Downwell

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing Gamecube for one. I start a new town every time I return to that game. Can literally hear the song that plays in the train as Rover asks you questions in my head as I type this.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
The Metroid Prime Trilogy and some of the Metroidvania-style Castlevania games (Aria of Sorrow, Portrait of Ruin, and Order of Ecclesia in particular). I've beaten them so many times that going back to them feels extremely natural. I can blaze through them with very little thought most of the time, Aria of Sorrow especially.