• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
OK this might get ugly, but let's try and keep a lid on it, but the sad truth there have a lot of games loved by us only for it to later emerge that key people involved with said games are shitty people. Let's talk about it.

Quantic Dream. - I have owned and played almost every game they have ever made going back to Omikron The Nomad Soul on the Dreamcast, I enjoyed most of them some more than others. Now David Cage has outed himself as a homophobic and misogynistic prick, and QD's studio work culture is very toxic. Unless things change and David Cage remains with QD I will never buy another of their games new again.

Ubisoft - I don't need to go into detail on this.

Bethesda - specifically The Elder Scrolls series, I started with Morrowind, Jeremy Soule's music was a huge part of why I loved the games but I cannot go back to it knowing what Soule is accused of and after hearing what women have said about him.

Reuben Langdon - an off the deep end QAnon truther, antivaxxer and Trump supporter. Fuck this guy forever. I'll tolerate him in minor roles or as an extra doing voicework, but if he's playing a main character then it's a no from me.

I could go on all day, but over to you now, ERA.

Last edited:

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Let's be frank - nearly every fucking studio has these people.

Every major studio has cases of harassment, misogyny, racism, homophobia, transphobia, and every disgusting dehumanizing case under the sun. How these studios handle these cases is what turns it from a shitty person needing to be terminated, to a culture of protected toxicity where victims are less and less inclined to speak up lest they face reprisal from peers and a grotesque corporate culture. And independent studios aren't free of this either - in-fact smaller, more insular dev groups just mean even less safe-guards for people to trust and turn to in these cases.

There are far more scumbags in this industry you don't know about than ones you do. People reacting to stories of Blizzard's shit by going "I'M SO GLAD I DON'T PLAY WOW, AND INSTEAD PLAY FFXIV" are fucking fooling themselves.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
Witcher 3. It's one of my favourite games ever but CD Project went from one of my favourite studios to one I'm so disappointed in

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Let's be frank - nearly every fucking studio has these people.

Every major studio has cases of harassment, misogyny, racism, homophobia, transphobia, and every disgusting dehumanizing case under the sun. How these studios handle these cases is what turns it from a shitty person needing to be terminated, to a culture of protected toxicity where victims are less and less inclined to speak up lest they face reprisal from peers and a grotesque corporate culture. And independent studios aren't free of this either - in-fact smaller, more insular dev groups just mean even less safe-guards for people to trust and turn to in these cases.

There are far more scumbags in this industry you don't know about than ones you do. People reacting to stories of Blizzard's shit by going "I'M SO GLAD I DON'T PLAY WOW, AND INSTEAD PLAY FFXIV" are fucking fooling themselves.

Name and shame, the more we know we know, the better.

Katmeister

Banned
May 1, 2021

I wish metoo would take off in Japan because I'm sure there plenty of horror stories from behind the scenes sadly. Unfortunately Japan's culture of prioritising harmony (i.e not causing a fuss) is what is likely preventing a lot of women from speaking out.

--

(I am not targeting anyone in particular with this post in particular. So if this ain't you then it's not about you)

Remember folks, Japan isn't a backwards conservative hellhole, there are feminists and LGBT rights activists operating within the country. Instead of writing the country off (which I see a lot of people doing on this forum, weird how racism is suddenly ok when the people you're racist against are more likely to be conservative... huh) please support feminists and activisits in Japan as they are the one's who will push for change!

Oh and I almost posted this with "LGBT rights activsions" instead of "LGBT rights activists" haha. Tho an LGBT rights Activsion would be superior to whatever Kotick is running right now.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Name and shame, the more we know we know, the better.
And for the victims that don't want to "name and shame" because coming forward means inviting all sorts of harassment? Or risk ostracization from tight-knit dev communities because nobody wants to turn on the one asshole they all want to cozy up to?

This shit isn't easy to fix. People who endured these cases aren't given easy/obvious solutions here that don't also risk their jobs or well-being. We can support the ones that have come forward, but not everyone wants to advertise their trauma with a megaphone.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
Anything made by Blizzard can be put nicely in there. Some of my favorite games are made by them, and I played so much Warcraft, Starcraft and Diablo. I did spend money on Hearthstone until they fucked it up with that stupid battle pass. Nowadays I can't really stand them.

Hopefully Microsoft will spank them into decency, somehow.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Jordan peterson is literally referenced, in a good light, in The Messenger... the shopkeeper tells the story of "jordan the wise" and just quote his stuff and it's supposed to be enlightening... And the main writer is one of the head of the studio too...

Also the fact that the preview build of the game had that joke, but was removed (the peterson stuff stayer) :

image0.jpg

I wish i knew that before backing sea of stars on kickstarter

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
Kingdom Come: Deliverance, for sure.

Such a unique game, I absolutely loved the setting, (most of) the game mechanics, the open world feels incredible...
I didn't care much for the story though, and the writing was often mediocre. A few things rubbed me the wrong way with how they were presented. And of course some of the game director's views... ugh.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I feel I would have an easier time naming the games without the shitty people involved

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jordan peterson is literally referenced, in a good light, in The Messenger... the shopkeeper tells the story of "jordan the wise" and just quote his stuff and it's supposed to be enlightening... And the main writer is one of the head of the studio too...

Also the fact that the preview build of the game had that joke, but was removed (the peterson stuff stayer) :

image0.jpg

Oh no....

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn

Ashrak

Wouldn't it be about time for a general thread about the question of whether you can separate art from the artist? Can you watch Minority Report even though the Scientology motherfucker is the main actor? Can you listen to the Ride of the Valkyries even though Richard Wagner was a self-confessed anti-Semite?

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
Koichi Sugiyama's my go-to example of this. He was a hateful old man that had been phoning it in since the 2000s, but Dragon Quest games still meant a lot to me. Glad he's gone.

Similarly, Michiru Yamane has made the score of many of my all-time favourites, and absolutely still crushes it whenever she's asked to compose something. Unfortunately she's a conservative weirdo who's way off the deep end with shitty conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Beyond Good and Evil and the Rayman games.
Ancel was french Miyamoto and instead it turns out he's worse

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

image0.jpg

Oh dang, that's a surprise. I played some of the Messenger and enjoyed it, but this seems bizarrely injected.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance, for sure.

Such a unique game, I absolutely loved the setting, (most of) the game mechanics, the open world feels incredible...
I didn't care much for the story though, and the writing was often mediocre. A few things rubbed me the wrong way with how they were presented. And of course some of the game director's views... ugh.

This is the first time I've consciously boycotted a game. The grounded RPG approach was incredbiyl appealing, but when so much of Vavra's views and Gamergate affiliations came to light I just couldn't enjoy it in good conscience.

CDPR was a rough one, after adoring so much of TW3.

I also recall exposés to varying degrees on Rocksteady and Techland which were both sorely disappointing after enjoying their games so much.

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Yoshitora Tokugawa in Samurai Shodown is designed by Nobuhiro Watsuki (rurouni kenshin author that got caught with CP)...

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
And for the victims that don't want to "name and shame" because coming forward means inviting all sorts of harassment? Or risk ostracization from tight-knit dev communities because nobody wants to turn on the one asshole they all want to cozy up to?

This shit isn't easy to fix. People who endured these cases aren't given easy/obvious solutions here that don't also risk their jobs or well-being. We can support the ones that have come forward, but not everyone wants to advertise their trauma with a megaphone.
I agree there is no easy fix, those that come forward may choose to do so anonymously. The biggest change that needs to happen is for the industry to stop protecting predators and shitty people.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Wait what? Goddammit, what did he do?
kotaku.com

Report: Beyond Good & Evil 2 Director Michel Ancel Left Ubisoft Amid Investigation Into Complaints Of Toxic Leadership [Update]

Rayman creator, Beyond Good and Evil 2 director, and longtime Ubisoft veteran Michel Ancel retired from the video game publisher earlier this month while being investigated for toxic behavior, according to a new report by the French newspaper Libération.

This article explains it pretty well, he was an abusive piece of shit to his staff. Pushed them to the point of burnout and depression.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Good and Evil and the Rayman games.
Ancel was french Miyamoto and instead it turns out he's worse
Yeah, this was the one that came to mind immediately for me.

Luckily most of my favorites, nothing too bad has come out about that springs to mind - though I'm not so naive to believe nothing bad happened at any of them - but Ancel being a piece of work stung.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Koichi Sugiyama's my go-to example of this. He was a hateful old man had been phoning it in since the 2000s, but Dragon Quest games still meant a lot to me. Glad he's gone.

Similarly, Michiru Yamane has made the score of many of my all-time favourites, and absolutely still crushes it whenever she's asked to compose something. Unfortunately she's a conservative weirdo who's way off the deep end with shitty conspiracy theories.
Hopefully the series gradually cease to use his music in new games altogether

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Off the top of my head

Notch?

Langdon. It sucks, but DMC can do without him.

Jeremy Soule hurts the most. His scores are a huge part of what made TES 3/5 the games they are.

Can't extend this to whole studios. I personally know awesome guys and girls who work for Ubisoft (and King etc) and it's probably the same everywhere.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Akiman (Akira Yasuda), the character designer of Street Fighter II, is a right-wing Trumper
www.resetera.com

So it seems noteworthy artist Akiman is right wing?

So this morning as I was checking my Twitter timeline, I come across one of Trump’s disputed tweets on my timeline. And who I see that made the retweet was Akira “Akiman” Yasuda, who is notable for his key artwork of past Capcom titles, including his SFII pieces. At first I didn’t want to...

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
This is the first time I've consciously boycotted a game. The grounded RPG approach was incredbiyl appealing, but when so much of Vavra's views and Gamergate affiliations came to light I just couldn't enjoy it in good conscience.
I'm not gonna lie I was completely absorbed by the "grounded" approach, I had never played an RPG like this and I was focused on all these little immersive details that felt amazing.

And then, when some lines of dialogue kicked in and it sounded/felt completely off (in the worst way), when the behavior/attitude of some NPCs stuck out like a sore thumb, I was reminded of the infamous lead writer. Tbh it didn't happen *that* often throughout the game, fortunately, but when it did... yeah that was embarrassing.

(mind you I didn't buy the game, I played and beat it while it was on Game Pass. And as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think I could ever put any money in it for these reasons)

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
Randy Pitchford is an issue, but I will always adore Borderlands, and Crazy Earl is one of my favorite characters in the whole series.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Just a heads-up OP, but might want to check with mods to see whether this thread can stay open since this one was against tos

www.resetera.com

Games you were excited for, but then you learned how terrible the company/dev studio behind the game was

Though I never personally got into Overwatch, I remembered being interested in Overwatch 2. the last 2-3 years made it so that I associate Overwatch with terrible abuse—whatever enjoyment I'd get from the game would be outweighed by the constant reminder of how terrible blizzard apparently...

For the record, I think it should be open to discussion, especially if the terrible actions/practices in question are already public. Not everyone learns about this stuff even though they may want to know.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Just a heads-up OP, but might want to check with mods to see whether this thread can stay open since this one was against tos

www.resetera.com

Games you were excited for, but then you learned how terrible the company/dev studio behind the game was

Though I never personally got into Overwatch, I remembered being interested in Overwatch 2. the last 2-3 years made it so that I associate Overwatch with terrible abuse—whatever enjoyment I'd get from the game would be outweighed by the constant reminder of how terrible blizzard apparently...

For the record, I think it should be open to discussion, especially if the terrible actions/practices in question are already public. Not everyone learns about this stuff even though they may want to know.
Interesting, it's up to the mods, if they lock the thread not much we can do about it.

Though personally I believe shutting down discussion about this is a bad idea, especially when allegations have gone public.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I'm not gonna lie I was completely absorbed by the "grounded" approach, I had never played an RPG like this and I was focused on all these little immersive details that felt amazing.

And then, when some lines of dialogue kicked in and it sounded/felt completely off (in the worst way), when the behavior/attitude of some NPCs stuck out like a sore thumb, I was reminded of the infamous lead writer. Tbh it didn't happen *that* often throughout the game, fortunately, but when it did... yeah that was embarrassing.

(mind you I didn't buy the game, I played and beat it while it was on Game Pass. And as much as I enjoyed it, I don't think I could ever put any money in it for these reasons)

Not to get into the "seperate art from artist discussion", but games are made by scores of people who all elave their mark in differing ways. I think when you learn about someone senior who happens to hold particularly shitty views or has done shitty things you just lose the benefit of the doubt immediately. Things you might not have picked up on, or brushed aside now niggle away at you and diminish the experience.

At least, that's how it's worked for me.

Btw, not at all meaning to criticise you or anyone else who played or enjoyed the game.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine the GTA games. I doubt you have so many trans jokes, homophobic and racist jokes from a team of likely hundreds of writers with at least some not seeing it as 'parody'

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting, it's up to the mods, if they lock the thread not much we can do about it.

Though personally I believe shutting down discussion about this is a bad idea, especially when allegations have gone public.
On the other hand, this is still up on the EtcetEra side:

www.resetera.com

That crushing moment when a content creator reveals their shitty beliefs.

He's had quite a few bad takes and bigoted gamer moments, that have alienated him from some LGBTI and black folks. The problem with Vaush is he's a debate bro and that he thinks platforming debates with neo nazis helps things (when history shows it does the opposite and gets Nazis more fans)...

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017

I think you're good, as this one from the other day is open:

www.resetera.com

Media you love that’s made by scumbags?

Whether Shows, Books, Stand up, Albums, etc. it’s hard to remove them from your life when the stuff they made is a huge part of growimg up and such. Also if that person/people are not familiar like Micheal Jackson please add in why their scumbags. Mine is Father Ted and IT Crowd (especially...

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
On the other hand, this is still up on the EtcetEra side:

www.resetera.com

That crushing moment when a content creator reveals their shitty beliefs.

He's had quite a few bad takes and bigoted gamer moments, that have alienated him from some LGBTI and black folks. The problem with Vaush is he's a debate bro and that he thinks platforming debates with neo nazis helps things (when history shows it does the opposite and gets Nazis more fans)...
That's my thread, I posted it about a month ago.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Earthworm Jim.

I loved EWJ as a kid, and I loved Doug TenNapel's art. Then I started looking into his other work, but it was weird, overtly Christian stuff, so I kinda bounced off. The fondness for EWJ was always there, though.

Now he's a raging TurboBigot. I still like the concept of Jim, but I won't buy anything TenNapel's involved with / financially profits from. Even standalone Jim is iffy.

Plus, it worries me that Mike Nelson was so involved with him, potentially souring another thing I love.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Koichi Sugiyama is dead and in hell so I can feel a little less guilty about stanning Dragon Quest

Menchin

Apr 1, 2019
Probably every game I've ever played and enjoyed was made by a studio with at least one person working there who was some flavour of shithead

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Earthworm Jim.

I loved EWJ as a kid, and I loved Doug TenNapel's art. Then I started looking into his other work, but it was weird, overtly Christian stuff, so I kinda bounced off. The fondness for EWJ was always there, though.

Now he's a raging TurboBigot. I still like the concept of Jim, but I won't buy anything TenNapel's involved with / financially profits from. Even standalone Jim is iffy.

Plus, it worries me that Mike Nelson was so involved with him, potentially souring another thing I love.

Yep, this is it. Freaking love Earthworm Jim but the creator is such a piece of shiiiit

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
I haven't played it yet, but Ion Maiden/Ion Fury was looking like it was going to be a really cool retro-styled FPS. But the developers snuck in a few transphobic and homophobic bits into the game. They apologized, and promised they'd remove the stuff, and make a donation to the Trever Project, which is cool. And then they walked back the apology and doubled down on the homophobia and transphobia.

I never advocate piracy, but when you pride yourself on showing your whole-ass shitty behavior, I'll make an exception.
www.resetera.com

Ion Fury to retain homophobic content after all

https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860/announcements/detail/1616150570017627014 This is in after a previous statement that read: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/08/19/after-transphobic-comments-spark-controversy-ion-fury-developers-apologize-for-employee New news, new thread. Sadly no...

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I love the Elder Scrolls games and Jeremy Soule's music is a big part of that. It turned out that he is a shitheel and will probably never work on ES again, but I still love the games and the music. It doesn't bother me one iota. When I listen I think: "This music is great!", not "The guy that wrote this is awful". I don't blame children of assholes for their parents' behavior unless the children also exhibit asshole behavior. Since music is incapable of doing that, I don't hold the music accountable. Since he was already paid, it's not like I'm supporting him by playing/listening either.