• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Most jrpgs. Ain't nobody got time for that. Pokemon is the exception I guess but that's because I'm obsessed.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
I almost never replay the same game twice.

I can't go through emotional games again especially if they have a depressing/bittersweet ending like most endings nowadays (Witcher, Yakuza, mgsv, katana 0) Plus, I'd rather move on. I don't even buy dlc for games because I just beat the main game and move on.

NieR: Automata after getting all the endings.

Nier automata is cheating hehe. Since it is essentially a different campaign each time around. And the real credits play at the real end. That's the only game I "replayed" I guess.

FantasyFreak07

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. I loved the first couple of chapters the first go around, but I don't think I would have the patience of going through them again a second time.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
Games that I feel completed something.

NieR and NieR: Automata full true ending play throughs feel so whole and complete to me that to replay them would be dismissive of the point of the game. The game means more to me by not playing it again in spite of it being one of my favorites of all time.

Analogue: A Hate Story. I failed at a part where I didn't want to fail. The game continues and there's no turning back really. I'm dancing around context, but those who have played may understand. That feeling the game left me with, of letting someone down, of failing someone I cared about even if it's just digitally was so wholly unique that the game means more to my by finishing the game with that weight on my heart. It's easy to replay it to get the ending I want, but the state of game in my mind now is so much more meaningful than it would be to go for that 100%.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
God of War 2018.

Love the game and story, but I just can't deal with that traversal again, I'm sorry

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Excluding games which are simply too long (typically due to filler content/padding), a game which stands out for me somewhat recently was Frostpunk.
After beating the main scenario in that game, I'm probably never going back to it. I did try one of the other scenarios very briefly immediately after finishing it, but that was when I realized that I didn't need any more of the game.
It's a great game that I would still recommend to people, but the experience is just so draining. Finishing it was cathartic.

There are a number of other games I have tried to go back to, but if there are things like long cutscenes or tutorial sequences which cannot be skipped, that's often enough to deter me.
Older games are far more replayable than most new games, I find.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 R

I already replayed Persona 5 twice (second time was with a 100% guide) but thinking about playing it again gives me anxiety

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2.

One of the greatest narratives in the medium, but a total pain in the ass to play through

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead 2 for me as well. Loved it and would put it in my top 3 experiences of the generation but I simply don't have the time or patience to play it again now that I know the story.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Anything with a bunch of grinding/filler. So most RPGs.

I love Enter the Gungeon, but there is no way I could ever make a new save file and restart it again...getting the ingredients for the Bullet that can Kill the Past is annoying , and unlocking the gunslinger again sounds like a nightmare.

Monster Hunter World is great, but the thought of restarting it again from scratch makes me quiver in fear :P

I restarted Borderlands 1 at least 4 times and man the beginning is a boring slog.

I feel Monster Hunter and Enter the Gungeon aren't really games meant to be restarted from a new save anyway. I think they're designed to keep going with the same file.

Cuphead sticks out. It is a masterfully crafted game that only comes about due to massive amounts of talent and effort, but goddamn am I not going to suffer through some of those bosses ever again. I am happy with my B grades.

Cuphead is 90% memorization/pattern recognition and 10% execution, once you're memorized a boss patterns and know how to dodge them it's easy forever.

FolderBrad

Oct 25, 2017
Cart Life

One of the most powerful experiences I've had playing a game. And I hated that feeling. Never again.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Bloodborne...the first souls game I beat...it was awesome, never again lol

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Bloodborne because of its intensity. Darks Souls 3 because I just loved the journey. Red Dead Redemption because it was perfect the first and only time.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Anything too online-heavy, like Phantasy Star Online Eps I and II or Episode III, or any of the Monster Hunter games I've played.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This gen?

Witcher 3, Forza Horizon 3, Uncharted 4, RDR2

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okami. It's one of my favorite games of all time, but it's a long, fulfilling investment with a masterful story. I even cried during the final boss. I love the game to death, but there's no inherent replay value other than just wanting to play it again, and I don't want to play it again. I can't play it again. That first time just felt so right, so perfect. Playing it again just wouldn't be the same.

The Wonderful 101. I don't love the game, but the story was epic and the ending was climactic and worth the effort. Amazing game that I wish had a bigger audience, but I'm not playing it again.

It's rare that I replay games anyway, but these are two games I hold in high regard that I can definitively say "I won't play this again" to.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Okami is the big one that jumps out to me. I really loved my time with the game 10+ years ago, and in particular it has one of my favorite OSTs ever. The game also means a lot to me personally based on where I was in my life when I played it. I even bought the Switch version because the idea of playing it again on a portable system sounds very appealing, but I don't think I can ever bring myself to do it. It's something I'll always look back on fondly, and it's ok if I never revisit it.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
How come? I haven't picked it up yet. I loved the previous one and thought this one would be as good. I usually go into games blind, so haven't checked any reviews at all.
The mechanics are simply behind the times. I doesn't feel right or at all fluid to control.

I'm definitely not expecting Arthur to be as nimble as Spider-Man, but going from point A to B is always a chore.

The slow pacing and heavy focus on animation-priority makes for a very unique experience, but not one I want to do ever again

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
I honestly don't really enjoy replaying choice-based narrative games (Life is Strange, The Walking Dead, etc.) because replaying them would feel inauthentic, like its taking away from my original playthrough somehow. I much prefer watching friends, family, and streamers play through them instead.

Otherwise, the Mass Effect games. Playing through the three of them back-to-back was an incredible experience that I don't regret at all, but after the ending of ME3, I lost pretty much all motivation to return to the series. And outside of that, I was very satisfied with the choices I had made throughout.

Meta

Oct 29, 2017
I'm struggling to think of a game I've completed, liked, but never replayed to a significant extent. Are we talking about never beating it a second time around, or simply never touching the game again?

I've had the opposite problem - getting 2/3 of the way through an enjoyable game and reaching a point where "I've seen enough". Pillars of Eternity 2, Torna: The Golden Country, and World of Final Fantasy currently victims of this.

Oh well, time to start playthrough 453 of FFXII or Bloodborne. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Persona 5. I absolutely adore it, it's possibly in my top 20 games but it was 115 hours and I don't have the drive to play it ever again. Even for the new features.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Anything with a bunch of grinding/filler. So most RPGs.

I feel Monster Hunter and Enter the Gungeon aren't really games meant to be restarted from a new save anyway. I think they're designed to keep going with the same file.

Cuphead is 90% memorization/pattern recognition and 10% execution, once you're memorized a boss patterns and know how to dodge them it's easy forever.

Some people like to make new save files for the fun of it though.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
Dead Rising 1, 2, and Off The Record. I absolutely love what they are and I wish the newer games were more faithful. But with that said, I've mulled over replaying the originals so many times and always decide against it, too tiring.

CruJones33Rad

Apr 22, 2019
There are a lot, mostly the story driven ones, but Nier Automata and the Gravity Rush games as well as RDR2 come to mind right away.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I am on a self imposed ban from ever playing Quake III again because it almost ruined my life. A 72 hour straight session one holiday weekend was the least of what I went through for that game. I miss it so much though.

jjreamPop

Oct 25, 2017
OneShot after the final playthrough. But that's kind of cheating as you can't ever play the game in the same context once you play the third storyline.

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
After getting the plat trophy in Bloodborne I just can't play it...I love it but I just get to the second boss and am just like...uggggggg no.

Oct 28, 2017
It's one of my favorite games ever but probably BotW. Just too long and involving of an experience. Not to mention exploration is much of the joy in the game. Once that's gone you can't really replicate it.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
RDR2, but that goes for any time consuming open world game. On the other side of the coin, I can replay a time consuming JRPG that I love.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
The only thing that motivated me to replay games in the past recent years was that shining platinum, but kinda lost my interest in them lately tho