• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us Part 2
Dying Light 2
Uncharted 4

And as much as I adored the game, Kingdom Come Deliverance had a long, slow, somewhat cool in theory, quest near the end that made it drag, similarly to the Deus Ex HR DLC embedded in the GOTY edition.

TeacherDenz

Jul 7, 2020
Guardians of the Galaxy.

I really enjoyed the story and I wanted to see the end of it, so I ended up switching it to the easiest difficulty and turning on all the accessibility options so I could get through it ASAP.

Same! The story wasn't bad or too long, it was the gameplay that was sooooo bad so I just wanted too see how it ended.

TradedHats

Mar 8, 2018
I really did enjoy the game, but with the days format, I was just waiting for NEO: TWEWY to wrap up.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
The Last of Us Part 2
Dying Light 2
Uncharted 4

And as much as I adored the game, Kingdom Come Deliverance had a long, slow, somewhat cool in theory, quest near the end that made it drag, similarly to the Deus Ex HR DLC embedded in the GOTY edition.
The HR DLC was so badly crowbarred into the main story. Oh, you got sent to this new place where we'll strip all your abilities and make you spend 6h here before continuing the campaign.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Assasin's Creed 4 was a chore to me. FF15 is another kne that comes to mind.

My two picks i wanted to end because i was bored to death.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Okami's great.

Okami is also way longer than it needed to be.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
TLOU2 and Tales of Arise definitely came to mind when I saw that title, yeah, probably the most recent examples. I don't really remember any specifics, but I do remember going "fuck, there's still more???" multiple times with both games lol. TLOU2 felt like it just refused to end, like it just had to keep on meandering along, kind of turning the whole thing a bit humorous for me. As for Arise, the story just took such a nosedive during the later parts that even if it technically didn't actually go on for that long after the nosedive, I just wanted to move on.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I like Tales of Arise even now but I've been trying to finish it for, like, six months now.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's gotta be that Sotenbori slump, when the game basically hard-tells you you NEED to grind to be able to progress. If that pacing slump didn't happen I would've found LAD almost perfectly paced for the story it was trying to tell.
Yeah, it's baffling that the game outright tells you to grind and then puts a roadblock up at that very point if you choose not to. Odd choice.

chatsquared

Nov 19, 2020
I went from thinking Borderlands 3 was pretty middling to outright bad because of that last stretch. That point near the end where it feels like you're about to face a final boss but then "whoops, whole new planet!" absolutely killed any enjoyment my partner and I had gotten out of the game thus far. We still haven't done the DLC and honestly I doubt we will.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I love MGS4, but jesus christ that last cutscene goes on for way to long. I remember finishing it late and night and thinking 'eh guess ive got about 20 minutes of cutscenes left' and the thing lasts for like 90 mintues. Held the gusiness world record for longest continuos cutscene i think
But did you know that one plus one makes zero, and all numbers begin from zero, and zero is bigger than everyone?

cubistic

Oct 27, 2017
Tsushima loses a lot of steam near the end.

Also, Alice Madness Returns. Some of those levels were absurdly long.

The Quentulated Mox

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 10, 2022
Uncharted 4 ran out of steam hours before i hit the "endless caves filled with extremely loud bombs that you're probably not going to avoid triggering and also the game just crashes here repeatedly hope you enjoy that" part, but at that point i felt like somebody at naughty dog was directly taunting me for thinking my suffering might ever end

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
A lot of games maybe have a bit of bad pacing here and there that I'd guess briefly make me wish it was over.

Yakuza 7
Some of the later chapters of TTYD
Metroid Prime key hunt

The biggest example in recent memory of a game which made me want to scream dear god make it end was probably Tales of Arise. It's like 5 chapters that range from decent to great, but all at least kind of engaging, culminating in a decent showdown. But then the game goes on for another 10 hours or so of some of the worst environments and most thoroughly uninteresting dungeons. By the final boss I was so exhausted I just threw everything on easy to be done with it.

Also every Trails of Cold Steel game overstays its welcome by like 20 hours, and the arc overstays its welcome by like, at least 1 - 2 games. CS2 is the worst for this because it takes an absurd about of time for anything to happen and then takes an absurd amount of time for an actual denouement, so you get maybe 30% of the game in the middle there that's not actively making you wish you were playing something else. 4 has some of the same issues. 3 has a miserable back half. The whole arc is a testament to Falcom needing more editors and better writers.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 3. I was done about halfway through. That game has some of the worst combat encounter design in a AAA game I've ever encountered. It soured me on Naughty Dog as a developer period I hated the slog of playing through it so much.

Edit: From reading reading through this thread I think it's safe to say we would all really like Naughty Dog, Atlus and Ubisoft to hire some damn editors.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5 was like 30 hours too long. Would have preferred it being 70 hours not 100.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
Elden Ring.

Enjoyed the game quite a bit but by the end stretch I was really ready for it to be over yet I was still forcing myself to do every cave in order to not miss "content" because I knew I wasn't going to do a NG+ anytime soon.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I love threads like these because games that go on too long are my biggest turn offs and it instantly tells me what I need to know about any game I might've been interested in.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2. I was screaming at TV to end it already.

Feb 14, 2018
This seems like it should have been a Bravely Default thread, but no one has mentioned it.
EDIT: ^ welp there it is, lol.

I'll say Outlast. When I made it outside I thought the game was about to end. Whoops.

Katbobo

May 3, 2022
Most JRPGs hit this for me. There's almost always a point about 70% of the way through where it feels like pacing has burned out and i'm starting to get tired of the gameplay, but there's still a chunk of game left and I have to force myself to keep going.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
I get this a lot with Sony games.
Last of Us II, Horizon, Uncharted 4, Tsushima, God of War… they often feel like really excellent 5-10 hour games copy-and-pasted out to 25-50 hours.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Though I liked them overall, definitely felt this way with both AC Odyssey and Valhalla. I liked the side quest stuff in both just enough that I didn't want to just 'critical path' them, but at the same time, once I got deep into those games, I was ready to be done with them.

Fortunately with Valhalla I didn't buy any DLC ahead of time like I did with Odyssey. Sure that content was fine, but I was just done with that game after credits rolled.

NewDust

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Guardians of the Galaxy. Just 30% too much of everything. 30% too drawn out combat sequences. 30% too many chapters. 30% too long chapters. 30% too much yap yap yap.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Death Stranding, towards the end when the game literally sits you down to shove a giant exposition dump down your throat.
Yeah this was the game that I thought of immediately. The last couple of hours are just unreal with the amount of times it feels the need to stop you mid gameplay to explain something to you. And then it keeps happening again and again. You have all these characters calling you and just beating you over the head with stuff anyone paying even a little attention would have already known hours ago. The game just has absolutely no faith in the players being able to understand the story or the devs have no faith in their own ability to tell their story and feel the need to just info dump everything that has happened.

I also disliked how much more action the ending has. It's the weakest part of the game compared to the traversal and navigating the environment which was my favorite part of the game so I dreaded every time combat was required to proceed and the ending is full of combat. Before the last couple of hours I was really enjoying the game and thought it was 9/10 game and that it would end up my GOTY but that changed when the credits rolled.

TLOU2 was also another game I couldn't believe wasn't finished and I wanted it to be as I was just over the misery and extreme violence. One of the best games I played that I will never play again.