• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Is it fair to categorize Kid Icarus Uprising's crap controls as a technical issue?
Cuz I definitely dropped it like a hot potato very quickly (and regrettably, since I was really enjoying everything else about it)

*runs away*

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Bloodborne. The framepacing gave me a headache if I played longer than 15 minutes. To this day, I still haven't been able to play it :(

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I spent two hours today trying to fix xbox game pass PC. It worked a month ago, but now no longer installs or runs on my living room PC. Sadly I just made the mistake of extending my sub until May, but now I can't use it.

I'm reluctant to pay money for Xbox Game Pass games on Steam, so now I probably won't play any games that release there. I wish PC gaming wasn't like this.

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Two worlds when it first came out. I remember reading reviews thinking the reviewers got it wrong. So stupid. I deserved to pay full price for it.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion. Once my saves start getting lost and other game breaking bugs happen, I'm done.

bwahhhhh

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I spent two hours today trying to fix xbox game pass PC. It worked a month ago, but now no longer installs or runs on my living room PC. Sadly I just made the mistake of extending my sub until May, but now I can't use it.

I'm reluctant to pay money for Xbox Game Pass games on Steam, so now I probably won't play any games that release there. I wish PC gaming wasn't like this.

I had this problem. Couldn't even reinstall it. I Uninstalled the Xbox app, then did this: (had to reset the Microsoft Store)

To reset Microsoft Store, open Settings > Apps > Apps and features > Search for Microsoft Store > Advanced options > Use the Reset button.

Then after that, downloaded the Xbox app from the MS store, and it worked from then on.

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
Mafia 3 on the Xbox One S: I replayed the first couple of hours because I had 3 random soft crashes and I really wanted to play the game after loving the first 2 ones but after the 4th crash I closed the game, ejected the disc and never looked back.

twopenny

Oct 27, 2017
Man, ultima ix was such a bummer. I spent weeks reading the release material about monsters and spells prior to release. It was super ambitious at the time. The world was built to explore seamlessly (mostly) and avoid loading screens. This was mostly true! Too bad all of the scripts were fucking busted at release; it was impossible to finish certain main story quests because either the line was broken or, as happened to me more than once, you would finish a different objective and break sequence. It was devastating and one of the first times I remember a major release absolutely failing. I got the game for Christmas and still remember spending all of Christmas Day reading patch notes and troubleshooting just to launch the game. I finally got it working and encountered bugs immediately. It was one of those situations where I would second guess myself trying to complete objectives: am I doing this right or is the game busted?

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Spyro on Switch is very hard for me to enjoy. I'm not usually a stickler for smooth performance but whatever compromises they chose just do not gel well with me.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, what? Like, just this one game doesn't support outputting audio over the controller for some reason?
Yeah, I've never encountered this issue before but back then I've found other users reporting the same issue with the game 🤷‍♂️ I imagine they have fixed it by now but I got the game for free on the windows store so I'm not out of any money nor do I have interest to install the huge game again that way either hah.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't quite immediate, but Deadly Premonition on PC is the last game that I can remember ditching specifically because of technical issues. I followed every guide out there on how to fix the game but no matter what I did the framerate would slow down gradually as I played and the game would eventually crash. What an absolute piece of junk.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Saints row 2 on pc is sped up like a coked-up hamster, funny but unplayable to me.
Amid Evil launched once, then refused to launch again, ever.
Just cause 3 moves in slo-mo to me, awful.
And FF XIV, since the motherfucker refuses to recognize my account from launch or let me recover it (well, I don't recall the pw so that's on me)

Xelan

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I remember that The Binding of Isaac was a buggy mess on release I only picked it up after seeing Northernlion's massive LP series showing it was actually playable.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Just Cause 3 on base PS4. I put hours into it. It wasn't even the frame rate that made me stop, it was the loading times. It put me off of the whole series. I won't touch them games now, I don't care how good they run.

freakybj

Oct 26, 2017
I think the last game I quit because of technical issues was Mafia 3 on PC. I usually have a lot of patience with games that have technical issues if the core gameplay is fun, but Mafia 3 had glitches and the gameplay was bland so it was pretty easy to quit on that one.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
The Last of Us on PS3. It wasn't broken, but honestly I hadn't played any PS3/360 games in a long time until that one and I was just so over sub-30 fps games and it wasn't great for that.

Waited until The Last of Us Remastered on PS4 to complete it.

Hello Snake

Nov 25, 2020
Canada
Borderlands 3, I tried the free weekend or whatever a couple of months ago and on PS4 Pro both performance modes were unbearable to me. One ran at a really bad frame rate, and the other had these constant skips in the frame rate every few seconds. I played for like 30 minutes and quit. At least it's supposed to run better on PS5, maybe I'll try it again some time.

bbg_g

Jun 21, 2020
Borderlands 3, I tried the free weekend or whatever a couple of months ago and on PS4 Pro both performance modes were unbearable to me. One ran at a really bad frame rate, and the other had these constant skips in the frame rate every few seconds. I played for like 30 minutes and quit. At least it's supposed to run better on PS5, maybe I'll try it again some time.

Runs fantastic on PS5. I'm glad I waited to get it.

For me Fallout 4 on PS4. Was a buggy mess and was locked out of quests multiple times. Never finished it.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Fallout: New Vegas crashed 1 too many times for me on the Xbox 360. I was probably 10 hours in and quit.

Did eventually replay it on the Xbox One and quite enjoyed it.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Drakengard 3 but I actually played it a lot. I couldn't try to get the true ending because there was a mission that I needed to clear with spears but the FPS were so bad I couldn't do it after a couple of tries and I dropped it.

tophu

Oct 27, 2017
Link's Awakening on Switch due to the drastic framerate drops. This will be the first game I play on Switch Pro.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Link's Awakening.
Most recently:

Bugsnax PS5
Call of the Sea XSX

Both due to unlocked framerate hell and no VRR support in either. Just can't tolerate that amount of judder, literally hurts my head.

I think the worst port I ever experienced though was Max Payne on PS2.
Bugsnax has judder? Damn. Maybe I won't keep my PS5 I haven't decided what to do with yet. PS4 version any better?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
After the first couple of sessions, Sonic Generations wouldn't start on my PC. I tried to figure it out for like 20 minutes before moving on.

Incidentally, I'm playing it right now on my One X thanks to backwards compatibility so I guess technically I didn't drop it, I just postponed it.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
I refunded MH World because it looks like ass to get anywhere near great framerates on even a 1070.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
My current attempt to give Halo a try is being met with the PC MCC gradually getting more and more stuttery as a play session goes on, and that's really bugging the crap out of me.
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've got a similar deal with Bug Fables. Something about how things like the camera move in that game is super stuttery and inconsistent, and there's just nothing you can do to fix it.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Borderlands 2 on Vita. Just a technical nightmare, even with all the workarounds (airplane mode, deleting all the major DLC, etc). Any kind of combat dropped the FPS to around 10, or even more in open areas (aka: most areas). The hardware was just not up to par. I cannot imagine someone playing this through to the end of the campaign.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly dropped Xenoblade 1 Remastered because it had a deadzone on my pro controller that made it so moving to the left would only be a stroll, versus running to the right doing the opposite movement

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger is one of my favorite games of all time and I never made it more than 15-20 minutes into the PS1 version. Horrible experience.

Jul 1, 2020
I refunded PUBG when it was still in early access at one point because the buildings spawn into the world about a minute after I touched the ground. A few months later I bought the game again after 1.0 and installed it on an SSD and never had a problem again.

Ocie

Jan 21, 2020
None. I've never been that bothered. I generally play games well after their release so they're usually patched by then.

requiem

Dec 3, 2017
The ps1 ports of Final Fantasy 5 and Chrono Trigger due to long loading times
Same. I picked those ports up to play on PS2, as it was my first Sony console and I had a MegaDrive in the 16-bit days. I was on a mission to play every FF
/Square RPG I could, but I couldn't stomach those loading times.

To this day I've never beaten either game...

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, Chono Trigger. I tried playing the PS1 version on my PSP and just did not want to put up with that loading. The DS version is so much better.

Is it fair to categorize Kid Icarus Uprising's crap controls as a technical issue?
Cuz I definitely dropped it like a hot potato very quickly (and regrettably, since I was really enjoying everything else about it)

*runs away*

To this day I've never replayed that game because I just don't want to put my touch screen through that much torment. Those things scuff up instantly. I actually went through a few screen protectors on that game.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
I bought AC Valhalla on launch, ran like shit even on my 3080. Got mad, had buyer's remorse, uninstalled it.

Came back about a week ago to see if it runs any better. Turns out they patched it, now it runs amazingly and may be my GOTY

Jul 3, 2019

*runs away*

Even that games biggest fans understand how bad and uncomfortable that control scheme is.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout 4 made my gf motion sick and she promptly stopped playing it.

For me, the long battle load times of FF6 PS1 on Vita. Just couldn't suffer through with how frequent random encounters are.