• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not immediately but... Just Cause 3, I think that's the only time I have stopped playing a game because it was broken. Which sucks because the game is really fun.

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Recently? Horizon Zero Dawn on PC, crashes galore.

It's the first game in a decade that gave me so many crashes, only comparable to Bethesda RPGs and it's actually worse.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Any game that doesn't have true or exclusive fullscreen. G-sync does not work correctly without it.
Kaldaien's SpecialK tool can often force games into Fullscreen or Flip-Mode, which fixes this.
I have certainly abandoned games where it was not possible though.
I wouldn't have been able to play Return of the Obra Dinn without it, for example. I got horrible motion sickness from that game without proper G-Sync support.

yumms

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, never played it on PS4, started it on PS5....laughed at the low framerate and ugly art. Uninstalled it after 5 minutes.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodstained on Switch
The game was pretty fun but it just looked so gross and ran so poorly I couldn't take it anymore.
Honestly that was basically the last 3rd party game I bought on Switch (that wasn't like a smaller indie game). I lost my patience for them

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
yooka laylee and the impossible lair took more than two minutes to load the freaking main menu on my og x1

i dont think im ever trying it again

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
Maid of Sker on Xbox.

The scene on the train literally at the VERY beginning of the game, the input lag was SO BAD, I'm talking worse than anything I've ever seen. Uninstalled it straight away.

Oct 25, 2017
Kaldaien's SpecialK tool can often force games into Fullscreen or Flip-Mode, which fixes this.
I have certainly abandoned games where it was not possible though.
I wouldn't have been able to play Return of the Obra Dinn without it, for example. I got horrible motion sickness from that game without proper G-Sync support.
Thanks, I'll look into it. I guess Nvidia will never fix this since it's been a couple of years we had this problem. A real shame.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Last one was Watch Dogs: Legion on Series X when it wouldn't save.

Before that, Watch Dogs Legion on Xbox One S when I had 6 crashes in my first hour and horrendous screen tearing and texture pop in.

and before that probably not since Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS4. I gave it a good go but the jank just became too much.

Edit: Actually Battlefield V came with my One S and the resolution scaled so low I couldn't see what I was aiming at. Turned it off immediately.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, I'll look into it. I guess Nvidia will never fix this since it's been a couple years we had this problem. A real shame.
I'm not sure that windowed-mode G-Sync ever actually worked correctly, except in the 1709 build of Windows 10 that forced borderless windows into Flip-Mode - and that is treated as full-screen mode, as far as the driver is concerned.

Jul 20, 2018
My Time at Portia on Switch. Day one it was horrible. Some resources would only respawn if you exited the game and restarted it... It really wasn't fit for release until the second patch.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
COD: Black Ops Cold War. Got it free and it crashes every time on the 3rd level with the helicopter attack in Nam, and even more annoyingly, the game never saved my progress so I'd have to go right back to the start. It might be fixed now but I'm not going to waste any more time on it.

DPB

Nov 1, 2017
I tried playing Gothic 3 some time after it was released but didn't finish it until I had several times more RAM than the system requirements. It had a seamless open world, but the engine was so bad that it would freeze completely between areas for almost a minute while the hard drive was thrashing away in the background trying to load everything.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Sherlock Holmes: The Devil's Daughter has this weird thing that the camera would kind of judder when Sherlock was walking. It gave me a headache and I was unable to play it.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Can't think of any game I've permanently abandoned because of bugs.

I'm still playing Cyberpunk on PS4 Pro despite having encountered 3 crashes.

I've experienced plenty of bugs in Bethesda games, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim, Oblivion (one bug in particular that prevented me from progressing in the main questline that I had to use a console command to skip to the next stage of the quest. Glad I was playing on PC and not console that time), Fallout 4..

The Mass Effect games had some bugs.

Bloodstained had a few bugs at launch on PC but nothing game breaking.

Resident Evil 2 remake had a nearly game breaking bug where it wouldn't let me finish one of the puzzles. Ended up using a cheat code program to spawn the item I needed. Again lucky I was playing that one on PC.

Star Wars: Squadrons on PS4 had a silly bug that would forget your character voice, etc. and I kept not realizing that the character talking was supposed to be me.

Problem with playing games at launch that you often beat them before the patches are released.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Gears 5 wouldn't output audio over the Xbox controller, so I dropped it instantly after booting it twice and a quick Google search confirming my suspicion.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
I had to drop Alice: Madness Returns because it kept deadlocking my computer upon starting up.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Deadly Premonition 2 because of the horrible frame rate, and I platinumed the first one on PS3. Elder Scrolls Online would crash constantly on me and refuse to launch again until I rebooted. None of the fixes people posted worked.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I bought a 3070 recently only to find that MGSV runs worse on it than it did on my 1080. It ran at 100-115fps 1440p on my 1080 at max GPU load, with the 3070 it runs at 87 fps and stays there, with GPU usage at less than 40%.

Imur

Jan 4, 2018
Age of Calamity. Can't believe this has Nintendo Chars in it. Runs terrible, getting motion sick playing it. I hope there will be a Switch Pro that runs this better cause I want to play it. I really considered just playing it on an Emualtor. At least it would have a constant Framerate that.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
First Walking Dead Point Click and the entire series

corrupted my Save game 20 hrs later

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Halo 4 in the Master Chief Collection glitched about 2/3 through the campaign and nothing I did prevented that progress-stopping glitch from happening. This was over a year after it released and everyone I talked to swore MCC was "good now". Hard quit the game and just watched the rest of it on YouTube. That's also probably the most mad I've ever been at a game.

Coriander

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
My Time at Portia on Switch. Day one it was horrible. Some resources would only respawn if you exited the game and restarted it... It really wasn't fit for release until the second patch.

The Switch port of My Time at Portia was incredibly frustrating. Slow. Buggy. Maddeningly inconsistent.

Overwatch on Switch was my other abandoned game, and was the first time I ever had to concede that frame rates can make a difference in my enjoyment of a game. I might've felt differently if it were the only platform on which I could play it, though.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
The only time I've ever abandoned a game due to technical issues is if the issue results in the loss of a save file of several hours or more.

Other than that, I never abandon a game just for some technical issues.

Example: My save file on Immortals got corrupted and all magically erased a few days ago after 29ish hours of play. I don't have the heart to restart the game after that. But I'll never actually knock the game for it, because it was a ton of fun to play.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
rage 2 on xb1. had a decent enough time with it for a few hours but was too frustratingly buggy for me to continue. laggy/crashy menus, no thanks

runlikehell

Oct 26, 2017
Vanquish Remastered from earlier this year. Performance in cutscenes is so choppy it is hard to sit through.

Geeklat

Feb 13, 2018
Wasteland 3 via XBox Game Pass on PC won't let me save my game because it's blocked by antivirus. The solution from the developers is just to whitelist the game. I tried that once and after another hour+ intro to test if I could save only for it to fail I gave up.

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Dark Rose Valkyrie on the PC. It doesn't play nice on my old PC so I had to take a break. The loading into battle lasted way too long.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
I did stop playing Ori 2 for a bit because of how long it took the game to load the map screen at launch.

I came back later because I thought it might be the game of the year, and I was right!

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I had the camp bug where important characters just permanently vanished from your camp. I got like 20 hours in and quit because I didn't want to restart and play it all over again (game is kind of a slog). I haven't played it since and don't think I ever will.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
I really can't think of a game I've ever dropped because of performance issues.

I can think of a couple examples from the past generations that have stood out to me in their performance.

Skyrim on PS3.
Just Cause 3 on PS4.
Cyberpunk 2077 on PS5.

But I never stopped playing because of issues. If I wanted the game enough to buy it, I'm not going to let technical issues stop me from playing it.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Was this introduced by a patch, because I played it and controller worked just fine.
Who knows. I downloaded Forager today and I can't control the menu with the controller. There is some controller icon in settings if I use a mouse but nothing to enable joypad.

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Input lag in the megadrive collection. I warned my friend but he didn't heard me.

Tried to play sonic and it's ridiculously bad

empo

Jan 27, 2018
not immediately but I ragequit torchlight 2 because in multiplayer it was desyncing and crashing all the time after a couple of hours

I don't buy/bother with games that have too many issues/fixes needed on pcgw, if I need some sketchy homebrew patch from some google drive or use controller/graphic wrappers I'm pretty much out