• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I have a very low patience for technical issues in games, so I will often stop playing a game within 10 minutes if I can't get it working comfortably.

I just dropped Forager due to broken controller support on the Xbox Game Pass PC version I was playing.

Umurangi Generation had gamepad issues for a long time and I could never get any of the full screen modes to stop stretching weirdly to fill my 3:2 Surface Book monitor.

Slasher's Keep has the cursed Steam option 'partial controller support', which basically means the devs don't like or care about this controller method.

How do you feel by games where your first 20 minutes are fighting with settings and searching forums?

Oct 27, 2017
I abandoned Bloodstained on Switch pretty quickly due to input lag. Playing it now on iOS with a Backbone controller and it is so much better.

Input lag is really the only technical issue I can't abide—especially when it is in a game that is available elsewhere without it. I honestly don't understand how some people can claim to not be sensitive to it.

Other than that, I don't mind fighting settings for the first twenty minutes if it means getting it set up to an enjoyable state. When it is something that clearly won't go away, that's when I have a problem.

manustany

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
The Space
Call of the Sea on Series X. Even after a big post-launch patch the game runs meh and I can't progress because of a missing object.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only one I've abandoned is Saints Row 2 PC, because even after all the tweaks, it's still a poorly performing and ugly ass version of the game.

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Can't think of any. I have a pretty high tolerance level for technical issues. A game has to be really unplayable for me to drop it because of technical reasons. (Not the "omg it drops to 25fps literally unplayable!1!" but really not being able to play)

nano

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Binary Domain on PC.

Invisible key prompts, unable to map certain keys (i.e. Shift, Ctrl etc.), I think the mapping for my 360 controller was all over the place, made zero sense and was not remappable. I couldn't progress 1 minute into the game because it wanted me to press a button that was correctly mapped according to the configuration, but wasn't registering.

Oh, and also every F1 game since 2014. It won't engage the FF on my G29 and every fix available didn't work. I also tried F1 2016, 2018 and 2019 when they were giveaways or on Game Pass and they all had the same issue. Other Codemasters games are fine.

Also Odallus: The Dark Call or whats it called. Repeatedly corrupted my save game.

Last edited:

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
It's just becoming the switch in general for me. I'm sick of games having low frame rates, low resolution and being aliased to shit

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Forced myself through ~15h of Drakengard 3 and just could not keep going. Headache inducing slideshow. Too bad since I wanted to see the story.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Bully and DMC4 on PC had a weird thing with its controller dead zones whereby it wouldn't register the left stick at maximum tilt as being far enough to engage the running animation. It was only in certain directions too, if I recall right. Probably in part due to hardware to be fair. I tried calibrating the controller differently, but it didn't work out. Maybe I should try again now that Steam's input management layer can do some stuff to mediate that.

I didn't actually play more than the network test, but Dark Souls Remastered on Switch uses B as its confirm button and A for cancel. That is automatically a no-go for me. Utterly daft design. The frame rate or pacing being questionable didn't help either.

There are more games that I've _avoided_ playing at all because of technical factors. The usual offenders being resolution and frame rate.

Last edited:

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Sonic Adventure for PS3.

I was really wanting to give that game an honest go, because I remember the demo on Dreamcast from back in the day and wanted to see what was beyond that first level...

And it was just camera/clipping issues galore.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Most recently:

Bugsnax PS5
Call of the Sea XSX

Both due to unlocked framerate hell and no VRR support in either. Just can't tolerate that amount of judder, literally hurts my head.

I think the worst port I ever experienced though was Max Payne on PS2.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DayZ original mod and then later the standalone. Total grift of a game.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Lords of the Fallen and Final Fantasy Type Zero both due to how their camera work gave me nausea and headaches.

I heard they fixed it later on both accounts but by then I had lost interest

R27

Oct 27, 2017
Call of the Sea on Game Pass PC. Resolution is busted by high DPI and cannot be changed and it's impossible to trigger exclusive fullscreen. UWP is pure shit.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Heh I've been pondering to make a reverse topic. As for some reason I've recently been thinking of many broken games I've really loved.

To answer your question, Fallout 4 is most notable example I can quickly think of. Though as already implied, bad perfomance, crashes and bugs are something I can manage if the game is otherwise compelling. Fallout 4 isnt so I played for some hours before calling it quits. Not even games like New Vegas and Bloodlines (modded) gave as bad impression in their first hours. Leisure Suit Larry WDDD I refunded when it got stuck in the second dialogue scene. Bought it later though and has worked fine.

grady

Oct 29, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
Just Cause 3 on PS4. The thing is I could stand it when it first came out, then they released an update which made everything worse at which point I quit and never played it again

EduBRK

Oct 30, 2017
Brazil
Constant stutter and bad framepacing. Bloodborne is the only exception. If it's an engine problem, I mostly quit. If it's my current machine, I'll hold for a better kit.

I can play on 30 fps, but make it constant.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas are laughable on PS3, i actually got a couple of hours into Skyrim because everyone was talking about it being one of the best games ever but then it locked me into like an in between 1st person/3rd person camera and i gave up. I gave New Vegas a chance because people said it was made by a different developer but i played it maybe 10 minutes before sending it back.

The Evil Within 1 on PS4 ran so poorly that it gave me a headache and i had to stop playing. Also stopped playing XIII-2 on PC because I couldn't get the game to run smoothly.

Flevance

Oct 28, 2017
Genshin Impact on PS4 due to the frame rate, it's was so annoying. Also Just Cause 4 for the same reason

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
For a serious reply most recently watch dogs legion on PC. I just couldn't get it to feel right so just abandoned playing it after an hour. I already had a subscription for ass creed so no big loss.

Oct 27, 2017
Deadly Premonition on PS3. That game ran like shit. I still persevered through for about an hour before deciding it was to much for me to stomach.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dishonored 2. I liked the first game and was really looking forward to like this one as well. However, the game looked horrible on release on my pc. The image was pixelated, muddy and drab. It was an eyesore to look at. I left and never returned.

Hedonism Bot

Oct 27, 2017
For a serious reply most recently watch dogs legion on PC. I just couldn't get it to feel right so just abandoned playing it after an hour. I already had a subscription for ass creed so no big loss.

I came to say the same game. Riddled with hitching and stutter still, especially when driving. Horrendous in 2020.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just dropped and refunded Cyberpunk 2077 on both Steam and on Xbox. Was hoping one of the two would work well on the hardware I have available to me, but on Steam my specs weren't enough to get a good balance of image quality and performance and Series X version just seemed really glitchy despite having otherwise stable and satisfactory performance in the Quality Mode for my tastes.

It wasn't the complete reason that I dropped Sekiro when it came out but it played a part — I thought it was a bit disappointing that From aimed for but absolutely failed to hit 60fps on the console side, though I should have completely expected that given their history for technical shortcomings on console. Still, ignoring that fact, I felt the differences the game had compared to Souls titles were a little outside of my personal comfort zone and I dropped the game owing more to that than technical issue, but the technical issue was definitely an early hangup in tandem with discovering that the gameplay didn't really resonate with me.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
Dead Rising 4 (Windows 10 version). As soon as I got into the mall, the framerate massively shit the bed. Like, down to 10-20 FPS. I don't know why. I was using a computer that was only a few months old at the time (GTX 1070, a $400+ (at the time) card that predates DR4 by only 6 months). I didn't get more than a few minutes into it.

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 I dropped as soon as I realised the controls were going to feel that sluggish and unruly no matter how I tweaked the options.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Borderlands 2 on Vita.

Touch screen to use grenades. 20ish FPS in a good moment. It clearly was not meant to be on that system.

Maturin

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Assetto Corsa Competizione. Runs like absolute shit on Xbox. Still not great on Series X.
Wish I'd got a refund.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Deadly Premonition on the PS3, when the opening dream room runs like ass and has lots of screen tearing, its a pretty good sign to give up. Switch version with its constant crashing and terrible performance didn't last dramatically longer either. At least its "ok" on the Xbox Series X via BC.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Hades, since it's not running well on my 13" MacBook Pro.
but will immediately try it again if it's available on another platform

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Nothing tbh
I don't really care about frame drops and bad resolution.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
Most recently it's been X111 remake.

I notice so many issues with it and I'm hoping it gets patched

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Bayonetta on PS3 was basically held together with popsicle sticks and duct tape. Minute-long loading times every time you die, FUCK THAT.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I don't usually abandon games immediately due to technical issues.
Usually what happens is that I spend far too much time and effort trying to fix things because a lot of them mean I can't play a game at all due to the resulting motion sickness.
But some which come to mind are:
  • The Evil Within 2 has serious performance issues on PC because it doesn't come close to fully utilizing the GPU.
  • Until the final patch, something like 9 months after release, Dishonored 2 could not run without stuttering no matter the hardware you were using. And after that final patch, it's only smooth at multiples of 60 FPS. A locked 90 FPS looks worse than 60 FPS due to frame timing issues.
  • Quantum Break looks terrible, runs terribly, controls terribly (mouse input is totally broken), has no option to disable things like motion blur, and it locks the cutscenes to 30 FPS. It also requires that you buy it on different stores if you want the DX11 or DX12 version.