• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Dead cells. I easily reached the final boss every time, and he usually killed me too fast for me to learn how to beat him. Since I didn't find the game particularly fun, I just gave up.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden 2. I got to the last stage back in 2009 and gave up at the blood river. When NG2 became playable on Xbox One in 2019, I resumed playing it and got past the blood river to the final save point. From there, I could defeat the first few waves of bosses but I am absolutely stuck on the final boss with no health items left and no ability to avoid all the damage it dishes. My reflexes aren't what they were 10 years ago.

VG Aficionado

Nov 6, 2017
Heavenly Sword. I think it was the only time I did that too. It was just too repetitive and tedious, and honestly I hadn't really enjoyed most of the game so I guess I didn't care by then.

I just watched the final boss fight and the ending on Youtube. I missed nothing of value.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recently was Mega Man X4. The first two phases were a joke but that last phase was ridiculous and I just didn't have the health to do it. Then I finally did it and found out there's ANOTHER PHASE that is even more awkward than the last one. I looked up some videos and saw that people who had beaten it had all of X's upgrades like the armour etc and I just said 'fuck it' and gave up. Decent game otherwise but fuck me that final boss was stupidly difficult.

Svejk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shinobi (PS2) and GunValkyrie (XB)... Man, I love those games so much, but damn.... I couldn't take it any more...

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I've given up on a secret boss or two, since they often require some immense amount of grind or whatever, but never a final boss.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
I don't know if this is exactly the same concept or not, but I invested hours and hours into playing Horizon Zero Dawn. And towards the end when I got the message about the point of no return into the end, I realized I was not having a good time and just did not care about the story. So I saved and quit the game then and there.

I never really was enjoying my time, but something kept me going. I guess hoping to see what everyone else saw in it, and finally gave up when I realized I was at the end? I don't really know what made me stop there.

sinny

Oct 28, 2017
SMT Nocturne : Lucifer
I was low level, i didnt know there was a ultimate boss, he one shot me so i quit. Someday i will go back but i didnt had the patience to grind.

Super Mario RPG
I remember i wanted a quick rpg that i could win in a day, i played it a sunday and reached the final boss, i lost and didnt feel like giving it another go because it was late.

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveller.
The true ending/ post game boss
. What deterred me ultimately wasn't the boss itself, which was a definite challenge, but having to do the same eight boss gauntlet each time you die and restart before getting to fight the final boss again.

Oct 25, 2017
KH1 multi-phase Ansem. First 2 parts aren't "hard" but doing them over and over just to get to a dumb flying section? No.

DQ VIII. One of my favorite RPGs, but they want me to do this dumbass elaborate process just to fight this big monster guy? No, I dont want to grind anymore.

Ni No Kuni. If you die to the final boss, you respawn BUT you lose all of the items you used in the previous attempt. Meaning you have to go back through the dungeon just to go somewhere to buy items and then come back. You have to do that everytime you die? No, I'll check out the ending on Youtube.

I was close to dropping Bioshock Infinite with its "For the last fight we'll put enemies everywhere!!!1!" thing but thankfully you can change difficulty anytime

I really hate games that have stupid design choices for the final parts/bosses. I consider it a waste of time to trudge through and will gladly drop something if 90% of something is fun and the last part is nonsense. I don't even thing seeing post-game content is worth it if a game wants to block you from a satisfying ending that you worked your way up to with last minute irritation

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Arc The Lad: Twilight Spirits

I'm pretty sure I was underleveled for the boss, and since I only had one save file past the point of no return, I was fucked.

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles. Wanted to finish it up right before X came out. Got to the last boss. Challenging flight with multiple phases, but I was handling it.

He prepared one of his super attacks. I forget which one, but there's a full on cutscene when its used. I keyed up the correct Monado Art to ward off the damage.

Screen went blank for the cutscene. And never came back on. Music was still playing, but buttons were unresponsive, none battle sound effects were happening, nor any of the charterers usual battle chatter. Just a music and a Black screen. The game had crashed.

I waited 30 minutes in shocked disbelief. Then I closed the game, watched the ending on youtube, and never went back. Cross about it to this day.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Star Fox Zero. Kept waiting for the controls to click for me. Final boss was the last straw.

Comfortable calling that game a disaster

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
Crash 1 Remastered, first time playing the first crash was with the remaster, was absolutely terrible at it but slowly managed to get my way to the final boss but no matter how much I tried I just can't beat him. I gave up and haven't played it in a long time.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Neve beat Black Knight Sword because the final boss is harder than the rest of the game.

got to the third-or-fourth to last boss in Xenoblade Chronicles and just couldn't beat her.

jamsy

Oct 27, 2017
Arc The Lad: Twilight Spirits

I'm pretty sure I was underleveled for the boss, and since I only had one save file past the point of no return, I was fucked.
Yup, same here. I remember I really liked the game too.

Golden Sun - couldn't beat the final boss (don't even remember what it was now). Ended up selling the game out of frustration.

Island

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man this thread makes me feel better.

I got to the last boss in FFIV. Was underleveled even after grinding, kept getting wiped and the save point is before a slog to get back to the boss. It just wore me down and then I lost my PS1 memory card (this was on the re-release) and I just couldnt be bother to redo the whole game to say I beat it.

(Still haunts my completionist brain though)

Oct 27, 2017
FFX with the heavy metal music. I remember digging the music and I knew I just had to grind out some levels to help get through it but I didn't really dig the game compared to VIII and IX so just said "Good enough".

SimonSimon

Alt Account
Mar 26, 2020
I've had a similar experience to many people in this thread. Namely, that I reach the final boss of an RPG, and a large number of side quests open up. I'm too underpowered to beat the final boss, but the side quests don't interest me. This happened with Final Fantasy X. It also sort of happened with DQXI, but that feels a bit more like a post-game, and I plan to get back to it when I have the time.

On a side note, does anybody else have the experience of reading through this thread and judging some of the other posters for giving up on certain bosses that I've beaten? It's really hypocritical of me, given that I just said that I've done the same. But I've been trying to notice when I do this, and call myself on it. Does anybody else fall into the same trap?

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Ashen. Good game, pretty shit final boss.

I think it was the final boss when I dropped Soul Sacrifice.

Didn't drop TLoU Part 2 in the final scenes but a part of me really didn't want to keep at it.

Remnant: From the Ashes. Never again.

I hope you were at least trying offline. Online is nuts, especially with randoms which equals impossible. I managed to do it solo and yeah it's pretty shit and pointless.

I'm having a hard time killing the Hollow Knight. I've seen all the endings and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get the true ending. Super fun game though.

That one's really easy though. The more advanced endings though... Yeah I stopped trying Radiance after just a couple tries.

Kwyjibo

Oct 31, 2017
How to Survive: Storm Warning

Great game but the difficulty spike for the last boss was outrageous. Made even more difficult by my last checkpoint having me with little health and items.

This was about 4 or 5 years ago but it still comes to mind.

BaldwinAce

Oct 28, 2017
Montréal, Québec, Canada
Sekiro.. I tried Era, I really did, but Ishiin jusy whoops my ass and laughs at my expense every damn time! His spear phase is too damn hard and looks way too badass that I just go into a awe phase myself and can't register shit.

ephexia

Feb 23, 2018
Doom 3. Didn't even bother looking at a strategy guide. Just said "F this" after 30min of trying and moved onto another game

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Silent Bomber... that fucking chess board. I never got to finish the game because of that.

Gotchaforce

Oct 31, 2017
Shinobi PS2. Vagrant Story. Xenogears (last dungeon). Digital Devil Saga 2. Couldn't do final dungeon in Lunar. La Pucelle. Ghouls n Ghosts. Bloodstained.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I just rage quit Uncharted 2. I have beaten the game before but damn if that last fight isn't some fucking bullshit. Fuck Zoran and his fucking shotgun and bullet sponge body. It's just not fun at all.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
images.jpg

I think I can beat it now but my young self had no hope left 😂 it's so disheartening back then.

I beat it, but it was such a harrowing experience that when I got to the final boss on hard mode...I didn't even bother trying

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Octopath Traveler. So difficult. I make it to the second phase, and even though I am most definitely kitted out well enough to defeat it....sheesh.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Hollow Knight, got through the basic ending with out much trouble but having to go all the way through the white palace again after the Radiance basically annihilated me in seconds really killed the game for me quick. I've wanted to go back at times but I always pass for something else.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
The Banner Saga. Very comfortable in all battles right up until the final boss. It was at launch and really pissed me off with how unwinnable it seemed for my build compared to all the other battles leading up to it which were pretty easy. Never even went back to look if it was a balance issue that was patched or just me being rubbish.

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
Wild Arms Alter code F. I tried so many times and just the thought of having to walk *all the way back* to the beginning of the dungeon to try and get some levels or more items or better equipment just broke me and I turned it off.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I just started SMT4 Apocalypse yesterday and the OP had me nervous lol.

Octopath Traveler - is a The final boss is a massive spike in difficulty, and you have to fight eight other bosses to get to it, and you can't save during any of that time, so you have to do it all in one go. I just lost interest, mainly due to the boss rush that comes before it.

Devil May Cry - I kinda just lost steam at the end, and only gave the final boss a few tries.
SMTIV:A's final boss isn't that bad on normal. I personally played the whole game on war until the final boss kept kicking my ass (mostly my demons were underleveled, I didn't realize war was jacking up compendium prices, and you can't recruit any of the enemies in the final dungeon which is a pain to navigate so actually getting better demons would've been a slog), but when I switched to normal I beat it pretty handily

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Shinobi (ps2) Final boss was HELLISH but I did beat him once. Then on Hard Mode....... I totally gave up. That's the only one that really sticks out to me.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Having a hard time thinking of a game where I was able to stumble my way through most of it and get to the final boss without beating it. Closest thing I can remember is Bloodborne a couple years ago. It usually took me a few tries to beat most of the bosses in that game, but the first (Cleric Beast) and last boss were by far the toughest for me. The first one made sense since I didn't have much idea of how to play the game at that point, but the last boss really threw me for a loop. Something I remember going at for several hours uninterrupted before I somehow managed to scrape by it. While I kept dying, I started to wonder if I may have hit a point where my gaming skills just weren't good enough. So it was really satisfying to finally beat it.

Love the game, but I haven't touched the DLC yet. Admittedly a bit scared I might hit another brick will with a boss there (plus it's been over 2 years since I last played it so I'm sure I've completely lost the rhythm of playing it).

Vorpal

Nov 4, 2017
Hollow Knight, got through the basic ending with out much trouble but having to go all the way through the white palace again after the Radiance basically annihilated me in seconds really killed the game for me quick. I've wanted to go back at times but I always pass for something else.
Ahhhhh my people are here!!! I actually got very close to the end of the battle, but couldn't quite pull it off. Never came back close again, and after several dozen attempts I just called it quits.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Divinity Original Sin 2, seriously fuck that guy. I managed to beat him once just to find out there was another battle afterwards, I had 1 character alive.