• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything for a long time. I remember stopping at the final dungeon of FF3 DS though back when that came out.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Mario & Luigi Partners In Time's final boss is an absolute slog if you didn't fight every single enemy in the game before it. It's not that it was even difficult, per se, I forget the precise mechanics but I remember it taking an absolute age - I had to rush upstairs to find my DS charger and even then I still lost after what felt like hours.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is in a similar boat as a massive difficulty spike + multiple final boss encounters with unskippable cutscenes. I eventually just used an Action Replay to power through it and see the ending.

babuchy

The Fallen
Nov 3, 2017
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen. I never really liked that game but I continued playing... when, after 25 hours, I arrived to the final boss, my sorcerer couldn't do nothing, and when I lost after an hour and half battle, uninstalled the game and never came back. I know there is some love to dragon's dogma on era, but I really really dislike that game, it's a completly mess (at least for me 🤷🏾‍♂️)

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Battle Chasers: Nightwar. The final boss is just a huge and somewhat unfair leap in difficulty compared to the rest of the game. My team was at a high level, had great gear with some of the ultimate weapons unlocked, and it felt like I was bashing my head against a brick wall.

I enjoyed the game otherwise, but I just have no interest in continuing that struggle.
Same thing happened to me, I loved the game but that final boss was some bullshit , one of these days I'll take another stab at it though

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
See people mentioning Heavenly Sword and I remember giving up at that final boss too.

I believe at some point he fires projectiles at you that you have to fire back at him? Couldn't do it.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
Not sure if it's quite the last boss or the penultimate boss but recently gave up on Yakuza Kiwami on GamePass out of boredom/frustration.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit... Man, the times i tried. I don't even know. I still haven't deleted the save file because it's the only fucking game i ever gave up on because i simply couldn't beat it. My pride.... aaaargh.

Yeah, took me forever to kill him. It's a crazy difficulty spike :/

See people mentioning Heavenly Sword and I remember giving up at that final boss too.

I believe at some point he fires projectiles at you that you have to fire back at him? Couldn't do it.

Oh shit, yeah, I remember now I gave up on him too. That was also a rather steep difficulty spike.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Sekiro. There were too many phases and I just wasn't good enough to pull off a win. It sucks because I've completed all the othe From games since Demons Souls. It felt bad throwing in the towel but I wasn't having fun any more.

Same here. I'll try again someday (maybe before Elden Ring), but even before I reached Isshin I realized I wasn't enjoying my time with the game as much as I did with Bloodborne.

Sloth

Nov 27, 2017
Got to the end of GTA San Andreas and got killed by the boss. It put me back about 15 minutes of game time, so I just shut the game down and never played it again.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 Raid boss(whatever the base game one was)

I was playing with friends+randoms. Me and my friends were carrying our weight and the randoms were so terrible. We managed to get to the final boss and someone would always fail their role or we'd encounter a glitch the rare moments everything went well. It sucked so much cause even though we tried changing it up in terms of who did what role the randoms kept failing. I ended up giving up on it and just sold the game as I didn't want to spend money on DLC.

Anastasis

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this counts, but on the way to the boss on BotW I gave up finding a way around a centaur that was destroying me and never finished.

sdotguenin

Dec 20, 2018
This is the only game I remember quitting.

images.jpg

I think I can beat it now but my young self had no hope left 😂 it's so disheartening back then.

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Luigi's Mansion 3. it was clear to me how to beat the boss but between the finicky controls and the complete RNG of when you can actually damage the boss (that is, when bombs spawn to allow you to hit him) I just couldn't do it. It's one of the few times I'm giving up on a game and it was because it was hard for the wrong reasons.

Gedi

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy VII on PS1.

I remember my friend reaching the final battle after something like 60 hours playtime and feeling really clever that I had taken less than half.... I didn't bank on not being levelled up enough to defeat Sephiroth though. Worse still, I didn't have a game save prior to that last descent so couldn't go back nor could face restarting.

Oct 26, 2017
Persona 3. Spend 2 hours and 40 minutes fighting the final boss. Get them down to maybe two more hits. They charm my healer out nowhere and use my healer to heal themselves to full with one ability. I look up the solution and it's to go farm a dungeon for a long time and get a null-charm item because duh I guess.

This happened to me, damn near exactly. After my healer healed the boss to full after what felt like 45 minutes of bringing him down to critical HP, I gave up on Persona 3 so fast and I didn't even bother looking up the null-charm item.

A more recent example is Doom Eternal. Enemies are constantly spawning, and I couldn't really find many opportunities to deal damage to the boss.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
Final Fantasy 3 (PSP). The final boss is a ridiculous jump in difficulty and the game only lets you save on the world map, meaning you have to go through three dungeons just to get to it.

The strange thing is the enemies before her are all piss easy so it doesn't make sense to grind it out. I think I attempted it again a couple months later after some grinding but I still got curbstomped again so I just gave up on completing it and watched the ending online.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet and Clank 1 because I had to return it to the video store

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Paper Mario Sticker Star.
After fighting Kamek and it's BS gimmick, you fight bowser, and found out that you need a Thing sticker to practically not die in the process (or at least to not get you ass obliterated). "Ok" I thought during my first time. Restart, and refight him again using the sticker.
AND THEN THE GAME IS LIKE "OOPSIE WHOOPSIE DID YOU THOUGHT YOU ONLY NEEDED 1 THING STICKER YOU NEED LIKE 3-4 OF THEM"

Turn off 3ds, put the game on the box, sold the game without remorse.
I was thinking that I didn't have an answer to this thread unless I called the actual last stage of Ninja Gaiden NES a final boss.
But you just reminded me that I never beat Bowser here, what an absolute mess.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
For me, it's Octopath Traveler, very final boss. There is nothing much to discuss about, other than pulling off the combos and strategizing the attacks is just not something I can do.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro (having not read the thread I can imagine that's a popular answer).

I did almost everything there is to do including the notoriously hard (optional) bosses, but by the time I got to the final guy, I was done. I think if I was still into the game at that point I probably would have defeated him, but I was burnt out at that point.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Only one that comes to mind right away is the Radiance boss from Hollow Knight. I did pretty good against it occasionally, but I'm not too fond of very difficult multi-phase bosses anymore as they get really tiring after numerous failed attempts.

derk

Dec 20, 2019
Not really a boss but the final level of yooka-laylee and the impossible lair. It was such a fantastic game up until that point.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
If I reach the final boss then I am finishing it one way or another, even if it takes me hours

Desi

Oct 30, 2017
Enchanted Arms. I realized I was underleveled and I absolutely didn't feel like grinding.
I honestly don't even know how the Final Boss fight is because I just completed the secret dungeon and used points to level up Ultima Weapon so it could use the slash to 1hp attack for the first three phases. now that I think about it since there are four phases I must have only fought that one.

Taneleer

Dec 20, 2017
PNW
The only game I can recall doing this is Wild Arms 4, I remember I just couldn't beat it, gave up and sold the game.

xpownz

▲ Legend ▲
Feb 13, 2020
Ishiin is a fun ending boss. Took me like 200 tries to get to the last phase

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Final Fantasy VIII - Back when I was a teenager I played through it didn't understand the leveling and draw system so I got annoyed near midgame and use a gameshark to make everyone level 99. Get to Ultimecia but the level scaling made her just unbearable and I couldn't beat her last form. Actually replayed FF8 last year on the PC and this time kept levels low and had a lot of draws for good stats. Still died to her, but mostly due to bad luck with spells and having a good party member get replaced by a useless one, next shot I finally beat her.

La-Mulana 2 - Got to the last boss and kept dying. Kinda lost interest in playing and gave up. Probably going to give it another shot when I replay the series on the Switch.

Hightower

Aug 8, 2019
Kingdom Hearts 1. The End of the World was exhausting enough, I beat Ansem in the fight on the beach but when I realized that the fight after that has multiple phases and dying sends you back to the start, I just gave in.

That game should have ended after the 1 on 1 Riku/Ansem fight in front of the portal in Hollow Bastion.