• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I remember borrowing Faxanadu from a friend and I couldnt even get in to the town.. turned out the game was broken and there was no way to go in.

No joke I tried to enter the gate in for like 60 minutes before giving up.. I would have made it to 5 minutes in this day but I was stubborn as heck as a kid hehe

Deleted member 5549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, so you got to the point where you're on the ship to Monkey Island (figuring out all kinds of puzzles to even get to that point), but you figured the game would just let you get there if you waited long enough? Not knocking you, but that's pretty funny.
not quite, I got to that point by either friends telling me what to do or by watching my brother do it to that point. after that I tried to "solve" it on my own. also, I was a kid. still makes me laugh every time I replay the game.

edit: and speaking of wasting time, I remember being really proud that I memorized how to get to the swordmaster. until someone told me, you can click on the map to get to her once you found her...

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Final Fantasy Legend on Game Boy. I didn't understand English at the time and the concept of menu based combat was completely new to me.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lord of the Rings for SNES that I picked out as a present. Text heavy RPG while I couldn't read English. I just mashed through dialogue boxes with different NPCs which sometimes got them to follow me. Then I'd exit town and me and my party just get mauled by wolves until they and eventually I died. Completely stumped. Thankfully I could still return the game.

Solstice I'd just enter a max potion cheat code and played around with that, trying to explore the world a little without any real aim. I figured I'd only have to find the end point somewhere and I would have beaten the game. Most of the time I'd fall down into the maze below and just get stuck there and quit.

TMNT for NES I never got past world 3. Had no idea which of the buildings I was supposed to enter. I'd just enter/exit the same first few buildings over and over, hang around on the top/outside location and go driving around with the turtle van aimlessly. For me this was basically the end of the game, lol.

One of my PC demo discs had Seven Kingdoms which I found particularly intriguing, but I had no clue what was going on. I'd rent a few soldiers, gather them all to attack a random player, get my ass kicked and quit.

A cousin got me untranslated roms of Pokemon Gold/Silver and Ruby/Sapphire before they even had Western releases. The "dancing tree" near Goldenrod city completely stumped me and I had no clue what to do after saving the captain's Wingull. I quit both games at those parts. I did get past those when I bought the games legit years later, but these moments still feel like roadblocks to me.
iu

PS1 Demo Disc

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK IS THIS GAME DOING
This too, lol
I kept coming back to try a few more times, but soon enough I just avoided that game.

Nazo

Oct 25, 2017
It took me 10+ years to beat Windwaker and Twilight Princess. Got stuck on Tower of The Gods and Water Temple respectively.

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
Bug's Bunny: Lost in Time on the PS1. The old dude creeped me out and I had no clue what to do. I didn't know English and I always missunderstood "Deutch" for "Dutch". It only made things worse.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Got a NES from my cousin 98, but I couldn't beat SMB, MegaMan 2 or Disneyland game

Later it was Pokémon Yellow, which with English problem, I didn't carch any Pokémons or heal Pikachu so Brock beat me every time for a week at least

Majora's Mask (Collection disc GC) couldn't see how to get turn back to human form, just redid the 3 day over and over again like groundhog day. OoT i could understand better and beat

Starfox Adventure, have to ask my cousin how to progress though it at different part, first being get over the Hard-lava pit with tricky, died so many times in the pit

Neoriceisgood

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
When I was really young and I touched Donkey Kong 94' at the first time, I didn't understand it at all cause I assumed I was playing as donkey kong.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I picked up this game at a yard sale or something and had no idea how to progress past the first stage.

TreasureMasterNes.jpg

danmaku

Nov 5, 2017
Space Shuttle for the 2600. Like Raiders Of The Lost Ark, it was quite complex for a 2600 game, with a thick manual I couldn't read because it was all in English. My dad had no idea how to play it either. Somehow I managed to launch the shuttle into space, but I was never able to come back to Earth or dock into the space station. Props to them for trying to make a simulator on the 2600 though. At least I learned that you need to follow a specific path to go back or the atmosphere will burn your ship. So many shuttles were sacrificed for that.

space_shuttle.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Holy Magic Century / Quest 64. My English was not up to par at the time. Enjoyed wandering around, but I never made any progress.

Secret of Evermore was also a mystery to me, but I only ever played it at a friend's place.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Die Fugger 2

A merchant simulation in medieval Germany.

I remember always ending up in the debt jail tower which was basically Game Over.

King Al B

Mar 28, 2018
I got Nobungas Ambition for the NES as a gift when i was a kid. I had and still no clue what the heck to do. I kept trying to play it because i owned very few games, but never understood it.

Oct 27, 2017
Ape Escape on PS1. Who knew it required a whole new controller? (I believe i was less than 4 at the time) I just jumped around and changed between weapons and that's about it. Did a whole bunch of nothing until it was time to return it to the rental store.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
Dungeon Keeper - It came on a demo disc and all of the text was garbled. I never bought it as a result despite liking Theme Park and Hospital.

You had to press "ALT + R" to put the game in High Rez :P

One of my favorite PC games ever.

Bart_vs._The_Space_Mutants_cover.jpg

21834_front.jpg

Two weekend rentals that were completely wasted.

Bart vs The Space Mutants ended for me with the first level not finishing when I walked all the way to the right, and then not having any clue what else to do.

And A Boy and his Blob was just terrifying to me. Really fuckin' creepy vibe with no direction. Discovered you could go underground with one jellybean and die in various ways, or fly to another planet which had weird bombs that'd kill you off-screen. Exciting!

LOL I can relate with that Simpsons game! Took ages for me and my brother to figure that we had to paint stuff in order to complete a level!

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
That Vikings game on Genesis where you controlled 3 of them. Thought it was a traditional platformer and not a puzzle game.

Print_Dog

Oct 27, 2017
Beavis and Butthead on the Gameboy. I can't really remember the exact part, but I would get there and be lost. Then I'd stop playing and forget everything. I'd come back start over and get to the same part and realize why I stopped in the first place. I remember this happening a few times.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got lost a lot in Prince of Persia, but I was really young. Some years later, I remember not quite understanding what to do on most games of the demo disc that came with the PS1, though there was a matter of the language barrier to consider.

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
King's Quest 6.

I ended up getting to a point where you needed the manual, our copy came with the computer and I don't think it had the manual.

Ended up finding the game again for pretty cheap years later with the manual. I got past that part and then probably died 10 minutes later.

Also Ski Free. Apparently there was a button to speed past to abominable snow man.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
The first time I played A Link to the Past, I would look at the map with the blinking icons and I had no idea how to get to those places. I would just run around the few screens I knew.

hanmik

Editor/Writer at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Almost every Commodore 64 game... one "game" I loved was called Little Computer People.. You could type commands to a little man, but he almost never did what you wanted him to. Play cards, take a bath, eat, pet dog etc. but he always got sick and refused to comply.

LS8SRmh.gif

E0TTk6S.gif

8FOwopD.gif

It was an amazing project for it´s time, but somehow my little brain didn't understand it..

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I played Super Metroid for the first time when I was like 5 and didn't know what the hell I was doing like most games, sparked a fire of intrigue in my eye, though.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
I played Super Metroid for the first time when I was like 5 and didn't know what the hell I was doing like most games, sparked a fire of intrigue in my eye, though.

Just wanted to post this. I rented Super Metroid and there was no manual. I spend 2 days just trying to figure out how to get through the passage where you have to use the morphball. I didn't succeed untill I bought the game many years later.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
When I was very very young - I think I'm talking 4 or 5, here - we had a Rowtron - one of those dozens of consoles in the very early experimental era that had only a few cartridges made for them.

My jam on it was Maze, because I got mazes.
6Sr2zRq.jpg

...but there were other games on it, games that were completely impenetrable to my young mind, made even more confusing by the fact that the limited capabilities of the hardware led to quite a lot of abstraction:

X5Jb3h3.png

That's Blackjack. Which is a game I wouldn't have known anyway, in an implementation that's pretty hard to comprehend.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Bigfoot on NES

It was a miracle if i could get the truck to move in the side scrolling sections. Never figured out how it actually worked.