• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2
So many interface things to remember... the load times... the accidental shooting of so many people I just wanted to talk to...
comic622.png

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
For about a year now on my Twitch stream, I've been participating in the Alphabet Challenge - clearing a game off the backlog for every letter of the alphabet.

Du9Hq2HWwAAYmvM.jpg

As you can see, I've made it up to "J" (which I'll be starting up quite soon) - but the only times where I had to abandon a game outright were both BIT.TRIP RUNNER ["B"] and Ironcast ["I"]. Why?

BIT.TRIP RUNNER: I love BIT.TRIP and have always found it quite engaging and strange, which is good for me. However, my first experience with Runner was actually playing (and beating) Runner2 when I picked it up on Wii U. So going back to no checkpoints and brutal difficulty spikes kinda hit me like a freight train and I ended up quitting in the final area. It was a shame, but it was legitimately frustrating me and I decided that it wasn't worth it.
[BIT.TRIP RUNNER won the poll over Binary Domain, Blade Kitten, and Beatbuddy: Tales of the Guardians.]

Ironcast: I wanted to like this game. Actually, I do - I dig the aesthetic a lot and games like these have been quite fun. BUT what absolutely frustrated me about this game is the fact that it's a roguelike. So what does that entail? A repetitive campaign? Fights with AI that seems to be smarter than what the actual difficulty implies? Really, REALLY bad RNG? Check, check, and check. I've put in 14 hours into the game and I have never beaten it. I've only gotten to what I presume was the final boss about 5 times in my playthrough, and the ONE time where I'm not already entering the fight with my mech not fully healed, lame abilities that don't help, or weapons that rack up damage... I get curb-stomped. Like, there's certain powerups and upgrades that feel almost mandatory and having a decent run can go to shit really quickly if the RNG screws you.
[Ironcast won its poll over Ittle Dew, INK, and Intrusion 2.]

At least with Runner1, I feel like I can try again since I'm used to its style and would have to deal with memorization and difficulty spikes. I gave Ironcast a fair shot, and the day I quit it had me feel like a gigantic weight was off my shoulders. Do try it if you're a roguelike fan - but if you're there for just the puzzle gameplay and aesthetic, I'd say to take a hard pass.
Iconoclasts for me too, love the style and the gameplay is good enough but I played it for about 10 hours and I remember not knowing where to go next and just dropped it.

Jan 10, 2018
Hmm... lately:

Astral Chain - Didn't like the gameplay loop or the feel of the combat. Music and graphics were nice though.

Borderlands 3 - Incredibly repetitive and with annoying antagonists that really made me feel dreadful going forward.

The Messenger - Tried to be a charming callback to the 80's but it failed to deliver anything interesting beyond that. Stopped playing when everything turned into a long backtrack.

Enter the Gungeon - I usually like this genre but this game just didn't click with me. Maybe it has a slow start, I might give it another shot at a later date.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Age: Inquisition- it's too old at this point. I should have picked it up in 2014.

Hollow Knight- everything was amazing but I could not stand the map system. Ruined all exploration for me, which is my favorite part of these games.

Metro Redux- see DA:I.

Dragon Quest XI definitive edition- I guess turn based JRPGs aren't my thing anymore. I keep trying to like them as I used to 20 years ago but they just don't do it for me anymore.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
FF XII. The battle system was interesting but I got bored of it after 20ish hours. The story also didn't grab me.

Oct 28, 2017
i tried very very very very very hard to like Paper Mario: Sticker Star and then like halfway through the game I got equally stuck on both branches of a split path and just went

: |

and suddenly hit empty on the "i am trying to like this" tank and just stopped and never looked back

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Most recently, Celeste. Got halfway through chapter 4 before realising I just wasn't enjoying it.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Valkyria Revolution is probably the most recent game I gave up on despite paying for it (Granted it was only $10). It was just WAY too slow for me and the cutscenes were pretty bad.
I might go back to it at some point and perhaps skip the cutscenes and watch them at 2x speed on youtube.

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Shadow of Mordor. Was in the backlog for a long time. Thought I would give it a go. Enjoyed it for quite a while. Got some badass powers and really good at combat, then it started to feel a bit same-y. Then all of a sudden a second area opens up, but it's just more of the same with a new backdrop. Dropped it.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017
Last year I gave up on KH3. I really didn't want to. I still think of going back to it. But then every time I do, I feel like I'm reminded why I quit.

But even now I kinda want to try again, lol.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of Mordor. Was in the backlog for a long time. Thought I would give it a go. Enjoyed it for quite a while. Got some badass powers and really good at combat, then it started to feel a bit same-y. Then all of a sudden a second area opens up, but it's just more of the same with a new backdrop. Dropped it.

I've done this exact same thing multiple times. As soon as I get to the second area I'm just fatigued.

Anyway, I feel bad, but I think I'm about to drop Supraland. It's a good game and I bought it because of the Metroidvania tag, but after a certain point it's just nonstop puzzles that require more thinking than I want to do when I'm trying to relax.

OP
OP

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
I'm starting to consider dropping Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.
Dropped this one like a bad habit. Did not enjoy it at all.
I'm on the verge of giving up on dragon quest XI S.
Noooooo! To each their own (of course), but I loved the heck out of this game. One of the top 5 JRPGs of all time by any metric. It's just so good. I'd suggest engaging with it in small spurts, like a bedtime novel.
Tales of Vesperia. It just seemed dull.
I pushed through this game to the ending. Can't say I loved it. Something about it is just sorta dull.
Astral Chain - Didn't like the gameplay loop or the feel of the combat. Music and graphics were nice though
I did really enjoy this game, but I will concede that it would have been even better if it were a teensy bit shorter.
FF XII. The battle system was interesting but I got bored of it after 20ish hours. The story also didn't grab me.
I did not enjoy this game at all. Trudged through that entire game hoping it would get better. Never did. I will play any Final Fantasy I can get my hands on, but modern Final Fantasy ... woof.

Nov 12, 2017
Lately I've given up on:
-Outward: Game is too janky and honestly had I played this 10 years ago I'd have given it goty. Just don't have the patience for this kind of game anymore.
-Valkyria 4: Got bored about half way through.
-Grim Dawn Expansions: Got bored on third playthrough to try and get to expansions.
-FF12: Honestly I really liked this game, I just lost interest due to general apathy of games about a month ago.

Urishizu

Dead Drop Studios Founder
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Witcher 3. Yes, I know. There's just so damn much happening in that game and it's impossible for me to stay focused.

pezzie

Oct 27, 2017
For me, Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Loved Persona 3 and 4, and at the time I was seriously jonesing for more of at least something similar even if it was only adjacent. Ended up borrowing a WiiU from a friend and picking up the game only to have dropped it after the 3rd dungeon. Just could not get into the combat. I thought the characters were pretty charming and the story wasn't awful, but something about the combat in the game just bored me too much.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I've talked about them before, but last year, it was Yoshi's Crafted World and Octopath Traveler. I appreciated some of their qualities, but the bad outweighed the good and I ended up selling them.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses as well, but that was because of the ridiculously small text. I wonder if they'll ever patch it? Probably not. And even smaller on Switch Lite. It's really annoying because I liked what I did get to play. :(

Although I technically finished it twice, Erica on PS4. It commits one of the worst VN sins by not allowing you to skip scenes you've seen already, even if an entire playthrough only takes a couple hours. That stopped me from seeing the other endings and going for the plat.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Metal Gear Solid V: I can't stand the series' convoluted story since Metal Gear 3. Besides, the game got really boring after a while and I'm still to this day puzzled with the notion of a Metal Gear game in a open world setup.

Watch Dogs 2: everything in this game is OK. Just that, OK. And I couldn't find any will to see it through. Played for just a couple of hours.

Mad Max: great concept, awful execution.

PerrierChaud

Feb 24, 2019
Travis Strikes Again art direction/writing isn't enough to compensate for its incredibly dull gameplay loop. Dropped it after half a dozen hours.

Deleted member 9486

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Uninstalled it last night as I just can't see it through. The plot is boring/barely there and paced terribly, and it's way to focused on puzzles bs the more combat/action oriented first two games in the reboot trilogy. I get that's more true to the series' roots, but I never liked the old games and really enjoyed the last two games.

Oh well, it's on me for playing it as I'd skipped It this long as I knew it likely wasn't going to be for me based on reviews. I wasn't expecting the story to be so boring though and thought it would maybe be enough to get me through it.

The other games I've dropped the last couple of years have mostly been JRPGs (Persona 5, DQ11s-though I did get the act 2 credits at least, Octopath Traveler, Final Fantasy 12 TZA), CRPGs (Pillars of Eternity, Divinity Original Sin 2) and dropping endless loot games like Destiny.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on the bubble with Days Gone right now. I've enjoyed it for the most part, and honestly the story is starting to pick up a bit and get interesting, but the last time I put it down 3 days ago I had this intense feeling that I'm never going back to it. I kind of want to push forward to get to at least one big horde combat moment, but we'll see.

Metal Gear Solid V: I can't stand the series' convoluted story since Metal Gear 3. Besides, the game got really boring after a while and I'm still to this day puzzled with the notion of a Metal Gear game in a open world setup.

Watch Dogs 2: everything in this game is OK. Just that, OK. And I couldn't find any will to see it through. Played for just a couple of hours.

Mad Max: great concept, awful execution.
This is me except for Mad Max. For some reason that middling gameplay coupled with the car upgrades just hit me perfectly. Loved every minute of that game. Watch Dogs 2 started as "meh" for me and only went downhill from there. I actually found some of the "stealth" gameplay really frustrating.

ToxicPhantom

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
I was really interested in Ashen when it was announced and was an automatic on my Wish List. Then it landed on Xbox Game Pass, even better! I played it for a few hours and I gave up on it. Just wasnt for me, so never completed it.

Jump Force is another that I started, but just couldnt finish it.

Some more:
  • Void Bastards
  • Emily Wants to Play
  • The One We Found
  • The Solus Project

MovieFlask

Nov 1, 2019
Maryland
With Gamepass it's nice to try out different games, so I have a slew of abandoned there, but in terms of buying, Kingdom Hearts 3. Loved it at first even though the levels were corridor linear paths like you'd see in a PS2 game. Then the combat started getting repetitive. Then I got to the flat-out boring Monsters Inc. level and dropped off at the end of that. I wanted to see the story through to the end and maybe the levels get better, but I just was not having fun.

HamSandwich

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

I tried playing last night after a while and I have no idea wtf is going on and I was just lost.

I might just start the game over tbh.

oreomunsta

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tried out GTA5 on Gamepass the other day. I dunno, I just hate how Rockstar gameplay feels slow, slippery and clunky. Franklin's special ability is to overcompensate for GTA's soapbar car physics lol

I appreciate being able to try the game out, but I think I'm uninstalling it

Final Fantasy XV

It's just so bad in so many ways.

I hate-finished FFXV when it was new. You saved yourself from a large amount of regret

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Breath of the Wild.

I tried playing last night after a while and I have no idea wtf is going on and I was just lost.

I might just start the game over tbh.

I've been meaning to give BotW another shot for the past...um... 2 years? Before I stopped, I just found the world to be a little too freeform. I've also never had an affinity for Zelda across any of the other consoles or releases.

methodiczero

Oct 27, 2017
San Diego
Death Stranding.... hands down. I played though the first 3 chapters of the game and I really ended up enjoying it more that I thought. But after watching the end of the year discussion about it on Giant Bomb....... I'm good to not pick it up again. Just to be clear...... I appreciate it and don't hate it at all...... but I don't intend to ever play it again.

For those that would like to see what I mean and want to be SPOILED for where the game and story go, i have added the video with it queued up to the beginning of their conversation.

Kientin

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy X-2. I just couldn't take all the cringey dialogue. I really tried to just roll with it.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Add another one to the pile: Indivisible. Sure, the game looks beautiful, the cast has its quirks and the platforming is decent at best. But the story didn't engage me. Most importantly, though, it is the damn combat system. You can't escape battles. It devolves into button smashing without anything special. Most annoying is the fact that enemies can protect themselves against attacks, so either you use one of your special skills or continue attacking, hoping you can break the enemy defence. Characters level up, but for what? What difference each level does? They don't get new skills, their stats don't seem to get better... It is useless. What a disappointment this game was.

I don't regret backing it, though.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Octopath Traveler was fun until it wasn't. The first time I died on the same boss like 5 times and then found out the rest of the game didn't have much more variety, I checked out. Uninstalled it and never looked back. I enjoyed graphics and such for a solid 15 hours, but it had no appeal to me at that point.

Solid278

Aug 26, 2019
I very, very rarely drop games. I'm stubborn about finishing anything I paid for (or any game I may not like that's part of a series, etc). That said, one I completely gave up on This is the Police. 10 days in and all I could think of was "I have to do this 17 more times?" The game just draaaaagged on. Could not get into it. I'm also close to giving up on Subnautica (felt too grindy to look for materials, but I loved the exploration. If there's a better way to get materials and stuff other than endlessly scavenging the ocean floor, please let me know.) and Caveman Warriors (pretty close to the end, but lost to a boss and really not interested in going back into it).

Honorable mention to Sekiro, which I almost (very regrettably) gave up on sometime between the first boss and the second. Stuck with it and the game really clicked, and woooooooow that was a fun ride!

cgatto

Feb 9, 2018
Canada
My biggest one is Horizon: Zero Dawn. I tried, twice.

Also both of the Shadow of Mordor games, Ys 8, The Division 2, Pillars of Eternity... those are a couple recents. I'll give a game a fair shake but if it doesn't grip me I have no problem moving on to something I might find more enjoyable.

guill

Nov 14, 2017
Yesterday I dropped Hellblade, tried it on PC game pass but only lasted like 40 minutes, not sure wat happened it was really weird, my mind couldnt stop comparing it to GOW, perhaps the camera and the voices were driving me crazy, concept was uninteresting to me from the start.

Magoo

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Close to giving up on Travis Strikes Again.

Everything is just so repetitive. I'm only playing in small chunks but still finding myself bored. There's been nothing that makes me want to get back on it.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Sekiro yet, but I bought it and it's in my backlog. But I am predicting I won't be able to finish it. So far the only way I've been able to complete souls games is by overleveling.

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Recently I dropped Death Stranding, Day's Gone and Pokemon Sword. I didn't think they were bad games or anything, I just didn't have fun playing them.

Deleted member 9746

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
These are the games I dropped in 2019.

Catherine: Full Body
Bloodstained
Corpse Party: Blood Drive
Destiny Connect
Pokémon Sword

MrChillaxx

Banned
Jan 13, 2018
ME: Andromeda... i truly wanted to like it, but between the dialogs, the story, the cringey animations and boring ass open world (fuck bioware for listening to "fans") i just dropped it after about 8 or so hours. Shame

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Recently, Watchdogs 2. I was about half way through when the power went off as the game was saving. This resulted in a corrupted save file. I was really enjoying myself, but I can't bring myself to start all over.

Side note: First time I wanted to use the PS Plus cloud back up, but lo and behold -- it only works for that one account on my PS that has PS Plus, the others? nope. Fuck outta here

Deleted member 864

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As much as I did enjoy a lot of it, Golf Story.

The final tournament is too frustrating to keep trying over and over again and I don't feel like bashing my head against a wall just to beat this last bit. I'm hoping Sports Story isn't like this because Golf Story was a fun experience even if some of the golf mechanics felt janky every now and then.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I may never return to Sekiro unless I can cheat engine something to make it easier. It sucks because it's literally a dream game. A new Tenchu, but the combat is actually fuckin great! who woulda thunk! it's just the ridiculous grindy multi-form boss fights that stopped me.

Lady Butterfly crushed what little energy I had left to push on. If I could just make bosses easier I would play through that whole game because Tenchu is one of my favorite franchises and the stealth and combat are SO perfect.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Outer worlds. Started it on xbox, played for 2 hours, then shut it off. There's 0 challenge and I didn't find the world that interesting.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Jak and Daxter: The Last Frontier. Honestly, not the worst game ever. Not a great game by any means, though. I got "soft" softlocked in that I hit a difficulty spike with a boss fight that I absolutely could not beat. I looked at every tutorial and walkthrough that I could find and every one of them had different stats from grinding. I didn't grind enough and the save takes place immediately at the start of the boss fight so there's no way to make Jak stronger. Gave up after over 100 tries.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll end up giving up on The Surge 2 despite enjoying it. I don't even know what the main objective really is, despite no one ever shutting up. It's just them spewing nonsense.