• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Burnout series, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series, Sonic series, Portal series, Tetris Effect, Rez, Katamari series, Alan Wake...

geezzz too many to count.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Hotline miami easily

The game is somewhat fun but it was the soundtrack that turned heads towards it

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Persona 4: The Thread. The three Hashino games, really, but P4's soundtrack is essential to Persona 4.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
FZero GX looses a little bit of the charm of the rest of the series becuase of the shitty music during the races, thats for sure.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
All games, essentially.

But if I had to pick, the Halo series stands out as the music is absolutely integral to the experience.

Sep 23, 2018
-Vampyr
-Thumper
-Hotline Miami
-Metal Gear Solid games (including Rrvengance☺️)
-The Last Of Us
-Final Fantasy games
-The original Tomb Raider trilogy. (Admittedly most of TR isn't music per say but the creepy atmospheric noise tracks during gameplay is very effective).
-Child Of Light
-Vice City

All of these soundtracks are standouts to me in terms of being inextricably part of the experience of the games, as important as any other aspect of them.

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
Honestly, music makes a huuuge difference to me in most games (I imagine many other posters here feel similarly). So without thinking too hard about it, the first ones that come to mind are...

Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2
Doom 2016 & Eternal
Hotline Miami
Katamari Damacy
Phoenix Wright series

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Yoshi's Island. I think the main reason why I could never enjoy the sequel (Yoshi's Island DS) is because of the soundtrack.

Zen_Master

Nov 15, 2020
The music in the original Unreal was part of the whole experience for me, as important as the visuals to convey the idea of an alien, ethereal landscape and world:

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
Nier Automata
Furi

With nier the music makes a mediocre gaming experience more enjoyable than it really is.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
Like All Zelda, pokemon, and guilty gear games. I honestly don't think I could consider a game good without a good soundtrack, or at least good sound design in the case of something like hellblade.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Games that haven't been mentioned yet: Octopath Traveler, Hollow Knight.

The journey into the City of Tears really needs the soundtrack to elevate it to the experience it is.

Lewpop

Dec 10, 2020
100% has to be Tekken 3, character themes that were all stylistically similar yet so dramatically varied. Music was a massive component of the first 5 (+TTT) games in the series, but Tekken 3's music played a huge part in making it as memorable as it is for me.

Jan 11, 2018
Pretty much all of them. Super Meat Boy is a great example of this. The version with the new music is unplayable to me.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
Ori and Especially Ori 2.

The games would still be great, but it was the soundtrack and the emotional beats they hit that really elevated the entire experience for me.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
I definitely played the Corpse Party titles with the sound lower at points because many of the tracks are very good at setting the horror atmosphere. Though several of the final chapter tracks were played at full volume. The Higurashi soundtrack is also excellent at setting the mood, to the point where I stopped playing it at night lol. Ar no surge was mentioned earlier so I will throw in Ar tonelico as well.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Without going the heavily copyrighted soundtracks (GTA Vice City, GH2, Crazy Taxi etc)... Lumines and Tetris Effect... these immediately come to mind... the music is even more important than the gameplay in these games.

However there were many old games where the soundtrack was the main attraction, particularly on old 8/16bits computers, so i 'll just stop with these two, since the intent really was to put the music front and center to the experience, it was important for it to be good in order to have enjoyable experiences.

I'll however give one other game... Nier Automata... damn the soundtrack was fannnnntastic and elevating the game so much.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Literally all video games. The soundtrack is as much of a game's identity as any other piece.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
As impressive as Cuphead is, I wouldn't have found it as memorable without its soundtrack.

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I mean Red Dead Redemtion would not have been the same if

Jose Gonzales - Far Away didn't play when entering Mexico

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Sayonara Wild Hearts for sure
It works entirely because the music is perfectly married to the otherwise really simple yet snazzy looking gameplay

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Dicey Dungeons is a fun game, but the soundtrack makes it a great game to go back to over and over again.

Nov 21, 2017
Ctrl + F

"Hades"

"0 results found"

WHAT THE FUCK. It didn't get GOTY nominations against AAA titles for nothing, and the dynamic soundtrack (ramping up when in battle and smoothly quieting to just a bass line after fights) is part of that.

Also, Ace Combat (and by extension Project Wingman) deserve a mention, because one thing is to do a final boss track, and another is to have the music representation of a Tango TO THE DEATH:

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure it's been mentioned but Nier.

The game wouldn't have been remotely as successful if it wasn't for Okabe's soundtrack.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Furi. A great boss rush made brilliant through its OST.

Hotline Miami 1/2 and APE OUT also come to mind.

darkkinder

Oct 28, 2020
Silent hill with Akira Yamaoka + Mary Elizabeth Mcglyn

Edit: Supergiant Games (their games have a unique ost)