• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
wtf is this - NSFW.

I think there's too many to list but there is a ton of Japanese/anime games with underage girls that really should not be looked into

Quote: from game creator on that above video:

Whilst I've found mild cringe-inducing amusement in previous Senran Kagura titles I have to admit I am in shock after watching that first link.

Edit: Other recent SK games are banned for discussion on here, but I'm surprised to find this one isn't yet. (Although that list is hardly comprehensive I know)

bob1001

▲ Legend ▲
May 7, 2020
To the people in the first page that said Bully...why? Its one of the only Rockstar games that has LGBT representation. Did yall read the title of the game and came up with a conclusion?

Bully has some creepy moments. IIRC you steal girls underwear as a favour for a pedo teacher in one mission and in another you take pictures of a nude cheerleader to give to the nerds... who then spread the photo all over town and basically ruin her life.
The game is obviously satirical and makes it clear that these actions are not cool but I'd get why people might not want to play it

skankhunt420

Banned
Apr 4, 2020
I don't see how Resident Evil 5 having black zombies is racist. I mean, the majority of games in the series have white people like zombies and that's completely fine. I loved the game and it's one of my favourite in the series even though it was action-oriented.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
I feel like there needs to be a wider discussion around this kind of topic, because more and more I'm seeing militarisation of everything from entertainment media, the police force... and not only are kids being taught that this is normal but that it's cool.
This has been happening for a while now and it's pretty creepy, in all honesty.

Asklepios

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
God of war 3.Played this before the 2018 game to get in on the lore. But it was such a massive turn off I never finished it or bothered with the new one.

GTA 3 - A lot of irreverence for the sake of satire I can let go but the part where you hire hookers to increase health and kill them to get back your money being a gameplay mechanic of sorts is gross.

Bulletstorm - Puerile and unfunny. Also the antagonist keeps using racist slurs all through. It's duke Nukem light and somehow gets a free pass.

Last edited:

Kr1spy

Oct 28, 2017
Silver Spring, MD
The only Rockstar game with gay representation? Really?
But what about?

The_Ballad_of_Gay_Tony_cover.jpg

Spamlynguist

Oct 27, 2017
those original god of war games were bad enough in the 2000s that i couldn't stomach them then. today they'd go down absolutely horribly with the thankfully larger and more diverse audiences that exist for games

oh and those postal games from a distance seem like utter trash. I haven't played them myself, and maaaybe I could understand the zeitgeist that spawned them in the 2000s, but phew imagine those games releasing today

header.jpg

Well, do I have some bad news for you (released in 2019 no less!)

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I don't see how Resident Evil 5 having black zombies is racist. I mean, the majority of games in the series have white people like zombies and that's completely fine. I loved the game and it's one of my favourite in the series even though it was action-oriented.
I mean sure use black zombies but the violent african tribes?

Vazra

Oct 26, 2017
Dead or Alive Xtreme Series with the pole dancing, butt battles, extra boob and butt physics counts?

Edit: I forgot there are characters now that look of questionable age. Yeah rather problematic if you ask me

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Is anybody going to actually say what's wrong with Bully or not?
Sure.

Bully is a game where you play as a teenager, and it not only features bullying and violence against other teenagers but glorifies it. It was uncomfortable even back when it came out and even more today.

It's no coincidence that Rockstar never includes kids in their games since then. And if a sequel happens I really doubt they characters will be about the same age.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel like a lot of progress has been made in how we treat and present women in video games. It's not perfect (not even close) and we have a long ways to go (oh so far), but I am sort of happy that female representation has improved in recent years. I grew up in an era where even Nintendo acted like girls didn't play games (Ocarina of Time commercial - "will you get the girl, or play like one?") and women in games were often viewed as either prizes to be won, sexy fanservice to ogle, or damsels to be saved.

NRS was adamant that they probably won't go back to the "stripper" look for their girls.
a2c8e328d85cca224dca9abb5c4aa3f9.jpg

Characters like Lara Croft were de-sexualized quite significantly in recent games.
a628f31f6a07997fd2d171fe585135d5.jpg

Characters known for being just damsels have become more prominent playable characters or even active and competent leaders.
intro-1528220356.jpg

I think about how many great female protagonists and characters we've had in recent years.
womens-day-2019.png

It would be pretty tone-deaf to go back to the "boy's club" mentality of the 90s and early 200s where women were treated as eye candy for hormonal teens.
lZtjpxrgxsWpkFFAKWoot_S7Hs4Ku1vIpjjV88-ujYqcgQplvS_oB5I4f8--vafRQPGZGLldr0MceTnxdp_Uh98SyzSBoTC6nztfQLf1pBpVclNxnxPJgY0pAiYyDrgaDUKvanUHXW0OUUXVp4Kbcd3CeA

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
I don't think it's inappropriate for adults to play any game, so long as they are able to understand and compartmentalize that creative works are also products of their time. Same reason I think people can watch TV shows from the 90s, even if they might occasionally make you cringe at some reference or dialogue that might not fly today. Adults don't need to be infantilized, and people can determine their own boundaries.

There are certain edge-case games that I certainly don't think have any value whatsoever (ie. Custer's Revenge), but that's a little different.

And of course, there's lots of old games that probably wouldn't be pitched today. Such is the way of things over time.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Oof, how this made it past any editor, I'll never know

"Are these images problematic? As a white man I can definitively state that no, they are not."

this part tho:

I'm not of African-American descent. As a result, I may not be as finely tuned into the black community, as say, an African-American would be.

just unreal.

I like to think that the (embarrassing) discourse around re5 moved the needle at least a bit on people being able to see this medium for more than just its most superficial elements and maybe paved the way for important discussions down the road, like those led by Anita sarkeesian and others.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Is anybody going to actually say what's wrong with Bully or not?

I just played it recently. There is a button to wedgie the male students, but if you do it to girls Jimmy will pinch their butt instead. Also you can kiss just about any girl on campus, iirc some of them are a bit iffy on consent. Thats just the gameplay stuff, there's quite a bit of the typical Houser humor with the plot lines that goes in some wierd directions when we are dealing with kids

Oct 27, 2017
Back in the '00s, one of my jobs was working on the DS versions of Call of Duty. I was still early in my career, and it was an excellent opportunity to learn what makes a good FPS tick. However, after watching The Holy Mountain, I realized that I needed to find another job and think about what I was creating and effectively sharing with the world. I concluded that there's a place in the world for CoD when it's telling honest, thoughtful, and responsible stories (which is a whole other can of worms I won't dig into here). But there was no place for T-rated versions of a game marketed to kids that exploits real-life violence. This is easily one of the most life-changing decisions of my life and why The Holy Mountain remains a powerful experience in my mind.

The part of the movie that affected me most was where it shows a toymaker that dresses like a loveable clown in public. She's cute. She's fun. In reality, she's a cold, calculating propagandist that receives instructions from the government to prepare children for war with specifically coded racist imagery. Futurama fans will instantly recognize which character she inspired.

CoD on DS wasn't that bad, but it was a lot closer to that than I felt comfortable with, especially with instalments of the game being shipped on an annual basis. Despite working on these game, I don't think I'll ever want to play them again.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Black zombies isn't necessarily the racist part, as there are white and Middle-Eastern looking people among the Majini as well. The questionable part is the tribal land sections with literal spear-chucking ooga booga men.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
NRS was adamant that they probably won't go back to the "stripper" look for their girls.
a2c8e328d85cca224dca9abb5c4aa3f9.jpg

And there are still people that firmly believe NRS would hurt their modern day reputation by remastering MK9, that is truly a joke. Unless they redefine these character models entirely, I don't think they'd re-release this mess.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember gaming magazines I'd read at the time trying super hard to convince people that RE5 wasn't racist as hell. It's kind of staggering honestly that Capcom didn't realise how bad it was. Before they even revealed Sheva all we saw was white man Chris gunning down legions of rabid black people in Africa, like come on man no one thought about this for longer than two seconds?

OP
OP
MRORANGE

MRORANGE

Nice thread btw :)
Oct 25, 2017
UK

Grimsey

Nov 1, 2017
I just played Deadly Premonition for the first time and one part really didn't sit well with me:

The whole "Thomas being a substitute for Emily" part.

Actually, regarding the final third of the game, it's like man they just couldn't help themselves could they?

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
Same. Personally, anything pedo is a no from me, but otherwise I support creative freedom in works of fiction, especially video games.

Maybe take a pause and read what some people have posted? Do some reading on how depictations of minorities and other groups in popular media literally affects how we all think and treat people?

The defense of 'creative freedoms' isn't exactly new. It was used when Resi 5 was released, and it was bad then and looks fucking terrible now.

Last edited:

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
Games that promote violence, hate, and nationalism, like Call of Duty and its ilk. Probably some of the most destructive games.

It's always indirect, and softened. But really Call of Duty is more of a blight than America's Army, because that was more overt.

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe take a pause and read what some people have posted? Do some reading on how depictations of minorities and other groups in popular media literally affects how we all think and treat people?
So because some are affected by works of fiction, creative freedom is no longer viable? Maybe I'm a weirdo; none of what happens in fiction bothers me really except pedo shit.
The defense of 'creative freedoms' isn't exactly new. It was used when Resi 5 was released, and it was bad then and looks fucking terrible now.
It's valid.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just played Deadly Premonition for the first time and one part really didn't sit well with me:

The whole "Thomas being a substitute for Emily" part.

Actually, regarding the final third of the game, it's like man they just couldn't help themselves could they?

They really, really dropped the ball with Thomas towards the end (and with all of his animations through the entire game)

At least SWERY seems smarter in the wake of The Missing. Hoping Deadly Premonition 2 doesn't do similarly gross stuff.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Wait a second, why was the poster banned for this?

Isn't the sentiment not all that uncommon that it feels somewhat inappropriate to play in a post-pandemic wasteland with people acting out unchecked random acts of violence; given the current situation?
Like, while i don't personally feel that way, that's been a sentiment that was mentioned on both Giantbomb Podcasts, as well as The Besties... (and i would assume has been part of many discussion of the game)

I get that the OP specifically meant "games that includde stuff (portrayal of characters, races, concepts) that just wouldn't fly anymore, nowadays" - but i wouldn't invalidate the mention of TLOU2 as trolling, per se 🤷‍♂️

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Bully is a weird take, considering the main plot is helping outcasts and those who are mercilessly bullied get revenge

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
I wouldn't say it's inappropriate to play anything, if anything it's interesting to play games from an era and see a kind of snapshot in time of what was acceptable. It's nice to see how things have changed every once in a while and they can be interesting learning experiences to see how your own thoughts have changed if it's a game you played a long time ago. Rather important actually.

Recent one that comes to mind is MGS3. The first two games had some sexual jokes, but in 3 Eva is basically half naked and overly sexualised the entire game for the sole reason that she's female. It was so jarring to the serious (but whacky) kind of story the game was trying to tell, and I think it annoys me even more that she's actually one of the most important characters in the series and she's just reduced to objectification. 4 (and it looks like 5) also suffer from these completely stupid, out of place sexualisations in serious characters and moments. Playing the first four games in succession, it really was a very obvious shift in presentation that just had me regularly shaking my head in 3 onwards. Maybe it was just the increased use of cutscenes that made it so jarring? Because Snake does have quite dodgy codec conversations in the first game at least. It's also one of a few reasons why I believe Death Stranding is Kojimas best game by quite a margin (not saying the female characters were at all good, but they were more than targets of objectification at least).

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So because some are affected by works of fiction, creative freedom is no longer viable? Maybe I'm a weirdo; none of what happens in fiction bothers me really except pedo shit.

It's valid.
It's not and it never was. It's a completely fallacious framing that boils down to "criticism is censorship".

If I say RE5 uses spectacularly racist imagery, I'm not saying it shouldn't be sold.

If I say RDR2 has remarkably shitty gameplay, I'm not saying it shouldn't be sold. People are going to hate me because I attacked their favorite game, but they'll never tell me I'm attacking the studio's creative freedom.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Rockstar Ate My Hamster (ask your grandad) also the 8-bit classic How To Be A Complete Bastard, the latter memorably included on an Amstrad Action magazine cover tape available to all ages.

(I assure you I have made neither of these up, and yes I am very old thanks for asking)
I would totally still play How To Be A Complete Bastard today, even though I could only ever figure out how to chuck a pie in a guys face, get myself plastered, then turn myself into an oven. Then eat everything in the medicine cabinet and die of an overdose, obviously.

I don't remember it being that problematic, oh and I got my copy from a cover tape on Your Sinclair, where they carefully edited the name to be "How To Be A Complete Bas*ard", y'know, because kids wouldn't be able to figure out the real world now that one letter is missing.
\S a r c a s m

I am also very old.

Jimbojim

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Personally I don't think any game is inappropriate for me to play as I know it's just a game but it may very well vary from person to person.

bobliefeld

Jan 30, 2019
Generally, I think games should be allowed to challenge people. I want to be challenged, horrified, offended, etc. Books, films, music, etc are allowed to do these things. Art is supposed to do these things.

The language and behavior of characters in a game isn't a problem in itself.

If a game has problematic content and it's known that people on the development team have problematic views then I'll avoid it. Games can and should include bad, flawed people but it changes things if they're made by bad people. Actually I'm far more likely to feel a game is inappropriate due to the views of the creators than the content of the game itself.

Things like "sexy" anime games and visual novels aren't things I'm even slightly interested in so don't really factor into my thinking.

itfiend

Dec 31, 2019
I would totally still play How To Be A Complete Bastard today, even though I could only ever figure out how to chuck a pie in a guys face, get myself plastered, then turn myself into an oven. Then eat everything in the medicine cabinet and die of an overdose, obviously.

I don't remember it being that problematic, oh and I got my copy from a cover tape on Your Sinclair, where they carefully edited the name to be "How To Be A Complete Bas*ard", y'know, because kids wouldn't be able to figure out the real world now that one letter is missing.
\S a r c a s m

I am also very old.

Apparently you could complete it in 16 minutes although I certainly never did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iaeS2AtFB8

Oct 26, 2018
I just played it recently. There is a button to wedgie the male students, but if you do it to girls Jimmy will pinch their butt instead. Also you can kiss just about any girl on campus, iirc some of them are a bit iffy on consent. Thats just the gameplay stuff, there's quite a bit of the typical Houser humor with the plot lines that goes in some wierd directions when we are dealing with kids
I'm playing through the game again rn myself and I don't see anything wrong with it. Yes there's a wedgie button but you don't have to use it plus anytime you kiss a girl, in my playthrough at least they have to agree and be interested in jimmy and then will only kiss him if he gives them flowers, chocolate candy, etc.
Now it was uncomfortable when the one girl forcibly kisses jimmy in one of the beginning missions after he helps her and I don't like how he talks to the hirls when flirting ( ex. "Uhm, you have a-a nice rack")