• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Me rn: just driving around in Forza Horizon 4, one of the best gaming experiences.

What about you?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3, RDR2, Forza Horizon 4 and BotW.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Die Hard Trilogy, Die Hard with a Vengeance mode, enter the cheat to remove time.

The feeling of games like 3D GTA and open world racers before those came out.

ajszenk

Dec 6, 2017
The modern Spider-Man games, the witcher 3, AC: Odyssey, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon Zero Dawn all come to mind. I never fast traveled in these game because I just love being in the worlds too much

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Spider-Man is therapeuthic as fuck, ever since it launched in 2018 I play it almost every month when I'm feeling down, somehow the game always eases my mental health enough to feel better for a short while.

RDR2 when it launched I spent 50h just in chapter 2 exploring the map and doing activities, love to wander around in open worlds

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Can't really think of any. Looking for dungeons/collectables/secrets in BotW doesn't really count as "not progressing".

When I was a kid, however, I liked just causing random mayhem in GTA games (with cheats). Don't think I ever completed Vice city and San Andreas, because I didn't care much about the missions. Nowadays I don't think that would be much fun to me.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
dicking around in GTA 4 and 5 is a fun time. I enjoyed it a lot more than the actual campaign

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Me rn: just driving around in Forza Horizon 4, one of the best gaming experiences.

What about you?

open world racing games are good for this. Now I've completed most of the main races, I'll just drive about smashing up stuff and crashing through trees in FH4. But Burnout Paradise and NFS:MW (I think around 2011?) where you have an open world and get chased around by the police and smash all the billboards. Very relaxing.

Stuggernaut

Oct 28, 2017
Seattle, WA, USA
Any open world game that does not have endless battle interruptions that "kill" me... if I am OP it's fine ;)

Sometimes I like to wander around WoW in old content just to see the world without pressure of leveling or risk of death since I am so overpowered for the area.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
RDR2.
Just walking or even better trotting on horseback, dealing with things as they come, greeting strangers, killin bandits, resting and eating under the stars.
Never felt more like a cowboy

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I really love the atmosphere of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines and could just sit in that game for days.

Nazgûl

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 2

The Witcher 3

The Last of Us Part II. It's not an open world game, but I just try to enjoy every detail, every room, every build, etc. I do the same with every ND game, though

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Grand Theft Auto.

I enjoy just driving around listening to the radio, which is something I don't get to do in real life as I don't have a license.

another thing I don't get to do in real life is shoot rockets at police cars.

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I'll give a weird example. I loaded up Disneyland Adventures last night on the X just to see how it ran and ended up just wandering around the park soaking up the sounds and ambiance because I can't go to the parks in real life. (Well I can but I don't want to go to a park during the age of COVID)

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I used to really like just running around in Infamous 2. It felt really good to chain powers to keep moving from rooftop to rooftop.
I feel like games with superpowers now (including Second Son) don't realise how satisfying it is to have limits to the movement. Neon powers were cool but just being able to run straight up a building gets old.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Assassin's Creed Odyssey. I only followed the main story as far as was needed to open up the entire map. I didn't do a whole lot of major side quests either. Most of my 150 hours with that game were spent traveling Ancient Greece. Literally, as I never used fast travel.

Rellodex

Oct 29, 2017
I spent like 100 hours maxing our prepper rep before advancing in Death Stranding only to realize that those tasks are really sort of meant to be a post-game activity.

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, even if the end game is forever, I still have to be working towards something, clearing points off maps etc.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Hyrule (BotW) and Hallownest (Hollow Knight) are two places I can wander around in for hours and I will not get sick of it. Ever. More recently: Nibel (Ori and the Blind Forest) I finished the game and I am absolutely aching for more*, the traversal (especially the bash mechanic) is fantastic.

*I know there is a sequel, just waiting for a sale, money has been a bit tight lately.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
There's something deeply relaxing to me about driving around in GTA V/Online listening to the radio stations I've grown so familiar with over the past 7 years.

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue, Shenmue II and Shenmue III. Pretty much what threads like this are made for. Such good games to just explore without progressing.

jerf

Nov 1, 2017
Been playing No Man's Sky since it came out, I'm maybe half way to the center.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I'm 8 hours into Final Fantasy XV and just driving the highways listening to tunes is meditative.

I have also melted into BotW and Skyrim in the past.

Deimos

Oct 25, 2017
RDR2 is the only game where I enjoy just riding around. I could never relate to posts praising other games for immersion before that.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Zelda BotW - I explored the whole map or most of it for the first 35 hours with the default equips and survived using potions for heat and cold resistance - also increased stamina and hearts from shrines

It was pretty challenging - I didn't realize I could buy armor...until I started doing the main quests 😂

Nola

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Rdr2, Witcher 3, Horizon, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Subnautica, LoU2, Bioshock.

Basically give me a really immersive or beautiful somewhat open world with a sense of exploration and mystery and I'm pretty good to go....Though the one game that I thought was the perfect manifestation of this, Outer Wilds, did nothing for me.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
All the GTAs and RDR2. I forced my way through RDR2's campaign but I enjoyed the hunting and roaming around aspect more.

Cloud-Strife

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 27, 2019
Genshin Impact.. because you actually can't progress after you are done with the daily resin.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
Actually now that I think of it, I forgot to mention Prototype (and Prototype 2). So fun to just run around and shit on everyone, because you're crazy overpowered.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza games are great for this. I often forget outright to progress the plot because I'm just enjoying doing shit in the game world.