• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza 0 - This game had so much hype so I really wanted to enjoy it, but it's just so silly lol. I'm a fan of similar beat em up/brawl games like Sleeping Dogs and Rise to Honor, but besides the awesome graphics, I really didn't care much for the actual story or characters. It's a funny game for sure, with neat little trinkets built in, but I'd rather play something more serious. I'll probably pick it up one day when i'm in the mood. I also found the random street gang battles to be repetitive and annoying. Sometimes less is more.

Hitman first season - I started playing Hitman in 2018 and I enjoyed Paris a lot. But I didn't enjoy Sapienza that much and pretty much stopped playing early this year. The gameplay is really fresh, but i'd rather play Blood Money or Contracts. The maps are smaller and you have less options in those games so you don't have to spend 200+ hours on one level trying figure out the 1000 different ways to kill somebody like you do with the vast amount of challenges, which make up most of the game content. Sometimes less is more. I also really dislike the online connectivity aspect. Again, I'll probably pick it up again when i'm in the mood for a murder simulator.

I guess i'm just not a fan of "openworld" or even "sandbox" games. Give me something linear and streamlined and i'm so much more content tbh.

Last edited:

Bioshocker

Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Control: I pre-ordered this one and I might finish it but right now frustrating battles is just taking the steam out of me.

Days Gone: I kind of knew this wasn't for me so I waited until October to get it. Yes, it's realistic to have to find gas etc for your bike. But it's no fun at all. This game is too long and the mission too alike, I would've preferred a shorter and tighter experience.

Nov 18, 2018
The Division 2 - I just found it super boring. The shooting was okay but there was nothing really appealing about the setting and I just couldn't be bothered to get into the loot system.

Outer Wilds - I wanted to love it because so many people had been hyping it up, but the flight and zero-g mechanics were annoying and fiddly and not really something I wanted to wrestle with in a game like that. I might try and get back to it at some point but there are so many games coming out I probably won't.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I dropped Apex Legends in the end, gameplay itself was fantastic, but the game completely stops rewarding free players and the season pass took too long to level up without playing for an outrageous amount of time.

I started playing Destiny again, but I'm pretty close to sacking it off again as well because the grind absolutely stinks, and permeates everything, including the paid-for Shadowkeep expansion.

Wagram

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Only game I dropped was Deaths Gambit. Super glitchy and just a dull experience. It's really lacking compared to the games it's inspired by and it's fellow members of the genre.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
AC Origins. Game world is too big. I don't want to waste time traveling straight line from point a to pint b. In previous AC games you at least had to do parkour witch was more fun than riding a camel.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I see so much Sekiro on here!!

Anyway, for me it was Kingdom Hearts I. I just don't like the combat anymore, it's not as responsive/tactical as I remembered it being as a kid, lol. Not to mention the aesthetic and story, blegh.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Darksiders 3
I actually don't kind it, but I feel like the Switch to a "Dark Souls" type structure isn't my favorite.
I'll get back to it eventually, I just prefer the first 2 games much more.

Destiny 2
Tried it out when it when free. Looks and plays great, I just don't dig the systems or the loot much from what I played. Needing to Google how to play the original campaign is a bit rediculous.

Mario Maker 2
Sadly disappointed by this game. Didn't have that much fun with it, and I still haven't really figured out if it has local co-op (same system, 2+ players), or how to do it if it does.
The menus are surprisingly clunky for a Nintendo game.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Not a huge strategy fan, but all the hype got me excited so I decided to try it. Didn't really click with me, and I should have knkow I wouldn't have time for such a massive strategy RPG.

Kubricks

Oct 31, 2017
Astral chain
I love the platinum combat and general aesthetic of the game, but sadly I live in Hong Kong and we face real life police brutality every day. We citizen are fighting against police batons and teargas and rubber bullet every weekend during our rather peaceful protest; I just could not enjoy a game with the MC wearing police uniform and uses baton as the main weapon.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I dropped Three Houses right before the end because there was almost no challenge and I got monastery fatigue. I'm still doing that soon, it's just one chapter but I don't see me going for NG+ or another play-through.

Astral Chain because it's not for me, I had some fun doing battles but walking around collecting stuff and following markers was boring. At least I didn't buy it, played it through account sharing.

Mario Maker 2 after finishing most of main story, can't find fun in most player's stages and it doesn't help that there's no bookmark site yet. I am also not in the mood for making levels. Worst purchase of the year so far.

Oct 27, 2017
Let's see...

Control - I don't really know why I dropped this one, I just knew I couldn't play it anymore. I loved the live action stuff and the story, but nothing else was grabbing me. I think the inventory management and modding system was completely unnecessary.

Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - I started this up twice and both times found the changes to Gwent obtrusive and not fun.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey - The amount of quests they start shoving down your throat the second you're off the starting island was overwhelming to the point that I had to quit and never come back.

And that's really it... I'm actually thought there were more but I guess not. Pretty solid year overall.

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
Too much

• Days gone - Was OK but got bored
  • Rage 2 - got bored
  • Astral chain - didn't click
  • Judgement - bad release date (Shadowbringers was around) Played for 1 hour and move on. totally forgot about the game.
  • Trails of cold steel II - same as Judgement, but i really want to continue for Cold Steel III
  • Borderlands Handsome collection : Played the first game remake with gf platinumed the game, bought the handsome collection and got bored.
  • Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth: Hacker's Memory : got bored, too close from the first game

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
AC odyssey too long
KH3 too boring but i intend to finish it.
Days Gone, only gave it like 4 hours, it was a snooze fest.

Deleted member 32442

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Germany
2019 was horrible for me gaming wise, there was no game i could really enjoy except Resident Evil 2 and Control. 2020 looks very good though

Last edited:

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I tried to finish everything i started this year. But i have some...
  • Trials Rising | I played 2-3 hours. It's great. It's Trials. Nothing suprising. I just moved on to some story based game and never come back to this.
  • Firewall Zero Hour | I bought it with the Aim controller, but never grabbed me. But Farpoint was awesome!
  • Slay the Spire | Tried this on Game Pass and boy, it's awesome. So i dropped till the iPad release.
  • The Outer Wilds | I just don't get it. It's not fun at all to me. I tried to see the genious in this, but...

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro as well.
Really don't enjoy the combat and just not a fan of parrying
Slay the Spire - awesome game but not sure I can actually finish it
Finished the 3 normal runs. Would love to beat the true final boss, but it's just a matter of high rolling to get a build that's broken enough.
I actually had 2 builds like that... before I unlocked the true final boss.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Hitman 2: the gameplay and general tone are amazing, but i don't get the structure of it really. Also it's immersion breaking when you kill a target and no one around cares.
Plus my Pro sounds like a jet engine while playing this game, which is basically the main reason.

Sep 12, 2018
Metro Exodus: It's a game that has questionable design choices over the first two in the trilogy and is hard to come back to after a while away.

Resident Evil 5: Infuriating controls (somehow a regression from 4) and bad AI in single player. Meanwhile I played through REmake 1, REmake 2, OG 2 and OG 3 this year. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

b0uncyfr0

Apr 2, 2018
Outer Worlds - Average performance on PC (stutters). It seems ok but not as good as everyone is saying it is.
Rage 2 - Bad PC performance. Boring world design and nothing innovative unlike the first RAGE.
Celeste - As much as i wanted to like it - i couldn't get used to the blocky pixelated games.
Far Cry New Dawn - Basically the same as every other FC game - maybe alil innovation here and there but after playing so many of them, it just felt like FC 5.25.
Darksiders Genesis - thought it was 3d - it was not.
Darksiders 3 - I don't like souls game generally but this started ok. It was the boring world and lacklustre character animation/movement that killed it for me. It just didn't feel smooth enough.

Oh well...

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Horizon (2nd attempt): I just can't. All I can think about as I'm playing it is how empty it feels and how shit the melee combat is. Even the mission design wasn't all that interesting.
Links Awakening: I wanted to love it, I really did, but after I got done trading in the 5th random generic item for the 6th random generic item with little to no context, I thought I had seen just about enough. Visuals can be prettied up but that gameplay belongs in the past. The top down Zeldas have never agreed with me anyway. 3D is just infinitely superior.
Nier: Automata (2nd attempt): Another one where the themes and the aesthetic is the paint on the pig. The combat isn't as deep as it thinks it is and the overworld looks like it could be easily made in the Halo Forge.
Ace Combat 7: OMFG what is even happening. I can't hear what any of these people are talking about over all the explosions and beeping and distractions and hooooly shit is this game Japanese....Like, TOO Japanese. These are sentences that have never had much need to go together before, and I need to process that while dodging a heat seeking missile and trying not to crash. Thanks but no thanks.
CS GO (20th attempt): As someone who plays Rocket League and now CoD quite often, I'm somewhat hard boiled when it comes to toxic multiplayer communities, but CSGO is just on another level. First game I've ever ditched for good just because the other people playing it are such trash.
Dragon Quest XI: That music is just a terrible effort that I regretted rewarding with my money, and the story was largely boring and predictable as well. Also another one where the world feels arbitrarily packed full of mobs just to make it not feel so empty.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Umbrella Carp You do realise Horizon is not a melee focussed game? It focuses on the bow and using stealth, traps and finishers. That's like complaining Call of Duty has bad melee combat.

OT: I dropped a lot of good (and also bad) stuff.

Zombi: Free with PS Plus a while back. Just boring and ugly looking.
Deus Ex MD: Sunk about 20 hours in this one, but it just didn't feel right in the end. Stealth sections were mostly hit or miss and the shooting/combat isn't very fluid. Game also has input lag.
The Surge: Free with PS Plus a while back. Just didn't feel anything while playing this. I couldn't really care.
Prey: Basically the same complaints as with Deus Ex. Game has an incredible atmosphere with great level design and a beautiful setting, but the controls are horrible and not fluid. And I didn't like the enemies one bit.
Hollow Knight: Beautiful game but very frustrating at times. Not clear where to go which made a lot of time spent on this game feel wasted. Game really affected my mood, so instant delete.
Hellblade: The definition of boring gameplay with broken combat in an even more boring linear world. Couldn't care about the themes or 3D audio.
Sekiro: To many bosses, to many save points, extremely annoying enemies. Not the sense of exploration and atmosphere Bloodborne gave me.
AC Odyssey: Another boring Ubi game where you just check off symbols on a map. Bad animations, bad sense of scale, very "gamey" mechanics, super bad voice acting, almost cartoonish at some times, mercenaries with cell phones that somehow all know where you are in an instant, "huge" battles that were not actually that huge. Could not take this game serious for a second.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Monster Hunter.

Played an hour of it and just could not get over the fact that it felt sluggish to move around and play. I wish I remembered how someone else described in a thread several weeks ago, but they also lamented how it played and quickly realized it isn't satisfying. I had very high hopes for this game and no amount of "give it time" will change my opinion.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Outer Worlds, starts off good, but quickly becomes stale, way too easy, ugly environments with no limited scope/exploration, interesting things to find. NPC's are Static like in MMO's. Feels rigid. Loot is also bad.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I don't usually wholly bounce off a game, i just slide it back into the pile for another day.

But there are two games on my playlist i'm giving the side eye too while they slowly slip into the backlog.
DMC5 and only for the V sections. Talk about feeling disconnected while button mashing. But two or three stages with v and not nero and back in the wait line it goes. Maybe i'm not getting it . . . the V parts. Maybe i'm missing something but those sections are a slog for me.

The Other is The OuterWorlds. Lots of walking and the combat was getting rote at the end of the first planet, and when i got to the Groundbreaker, i wanted to step back from it and take a breather, and come back to it after a few days with rested eyes and perhaps a fresh approach on my part.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Monster Hunter. Tried to get into it. Played several hours, but there were just a lot of little things that made it not enjoyable.

On a related note to the topic, all the answers of Sekiro kind of bother me, because I was thinking of picking it up after a price drop.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodstained, dropped it in the final area just because it was tedious. I enjoyed it but had had enough by that point and didn't feel like forcing myself to finish it.
Yep this is the only game I've dropped this year. I got kinda far but then realized I wasn't having fun anymore and I knew what the game was by that point. I'm glad it was the game some people were waiting for, but it definitely wasn't for me.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Fire Emblem Three Houses - I enjoyed the 3DS especially Echoes which is probably my favorite 3DA game ever, but couldn't stand Three Houses after the initial 15-20 hours.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Outer Worlds is a really cool idea but the actual game part is so bad I had to drop it after a couple hours. The dialogue really can't carry the dead weight of the gameplay.

Although if we're counting Gamepass, I've dropped so many games this year.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I bought Bloodstained, played for about 30 minutes, died once at the first boss, and haven't played it again. Don't see myself going back to it at this point.

ZSJ

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 21, 2019
Yoshi's Crafted World.

That shit was Xanax. It was cute and charming but so simple and repetitive. Full of fetch quests. Can't believe I wasted a voucher on that trash.
I feel you. My girl picked this up as she thought it would be a cute and fun co-op game but holy fuck I dreaded anytime she asked to play. It's so goddamn boring, it's almost like there is no gameplay at all.

I eventually got us Tropical Freeze to co-op. Much more of a game.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I forgot the Division 2...just felt like most Ubi games, designed by committee, boring, dull, hard to explain. Typical AAA fair.

2019 has a whole, besides Sekiro has been a down year for me.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I guess I 'dropped' Astral Chain in the sense that I finished the core story and immediately stopped playing, I never bothered to go back for any of the post-game stuff or side missions. For me it plateaued super early and didn't grow or evolve itself in any meaningful way; the combat in particular got super repetitive way too quickly. RPG elements were under-utilised and padded out, exploration and open areas were really limited / dull... But the biggest killer for me was the story, it was absolute garbage. Everything was paced really badly, the cutscenes were genuinely fucking embarrassing to watch at times... Sucks so hard because the premise had a lot of potential.
I dunno, I should probably just blame myself for setting my expectations as high as I did.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Devil May Cry 5 - I wanted to like it, aspects such as gameplay and music are pretty good; but ultimately I lost interest because of the boring, monotonous environments and the character switching.

Rage 2 - It has the usual Avalanche-problems. I should've known better...

The Outer Wilds - Great style but couldn't get into it.

badnewsbeers

Dec 10, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Umbrella Carp You do realise Horizon is not a melee focussed game? It focuses on the bow and using stealth, traps and finishers. That's like complaining Call of Duty has bad melee combat.

OT: I dropped a lot of good (and also bad) stuff.

Zombi: Free with PS Plus a while back. Just boring and ugly looking.
Deus Ex MD: Sunk about 20 hours in this one, but it just didn't feel right in the end. Stealth sections were mostly hit or miss and the shooting/combat isn't very fluid. Game also has input lag.
The Surge: Free with PS Plus a while back. Just didn't feel anything while playing this. I couldn't really care.
Prey: Basically the same complaints as with Deus Ex. Game has an incredible atmosphere with great level design and a beautiful setting, but the controls are horrible and not fluid. And I didn't like the enemies one bit.
Hollow Knight: Beautiful game but very frustrating at times. Not clear where to go which made a lot of time spent on this game feel wasted. Game really affected my mood, so instant delete.
Hellblade: The definition of boring gameplay with broken combat in an even more boring linear world. Couldn't care about the themes or 3D audio.
Sekiro: To many bosses, to many save points, extremely annoying enemies. Not the sense of exploration and atmosphere Bloodborne gave me.
AC Odyssey: Another boring Ubi game where you just check off symbols on a map. Bad animations, bad sense of scale, very "gamey" mechanics, super bad voice acting, almost cartoonish at some times, mercenaries with cell phones that somehow all know where you are in an instant, "huge" battles that were not actually that huge. Could not take this game serious for a second.

wow. You and I have almost polar opposite tastes. I loved every game in that list except for the surge, which I agree was dreadful.

Retozhe

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Nioh - I love Souls series, so I was looking for something alike. Dropped it after 5 hours due to incredible amount of "unfair bullshit". Now I know what people who can't get into Souls games feel.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
The Silver Case - Deep into case #1, I saved and quit... then when I came back to it later, discovered that I'd have to start from the very beginning of the case. Maybe someday I'll return to it, armed with the knowledge that I'll just have to leave the game running if I need to leave mid-case... but for now, I'm good.

Fire Emblem Three Houses - Ended up watching CohhCarnage play the whole game instead. Initially I was playing alongside, but put it down after about 25 hours and haven't come back to it.

Baba is You - When you start habitually looking up the solutions to a puzzle game, are you really getting anything out of it at that point?

Death Stranding - Talk of a big December update caused me to put it down for a while, and I haven't gotten around to downloading said update.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Octopath Traveler.

I loooved it. But not even love can change that it starts to get really long in the tooth by the end. The story inspired nothing, and characters didnt really bond, so the incentive to continue really waned.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Days Gone. Tried to get into it, but it just didn't click for me.

Apex Legends. Ridiculous season pass that made you play a lot for... Hardly anything.

I almost dropped Jedi Fallen Order, but I brute forced myself to finish it in spite of the glitchy controls and collision. It was a gift, so I felt like I had to play it lol.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Every major battle royale game - Fortnite, PUBG, Apex Legends. Just got tired of the gameplay loop. Got REALLY tired of building in Fortnite.
Destiny 2. Also got tired of the gameplay loop and grind.

I think my resolution might be to give up F2P/GaaS type stuff, considering how much time I've sunk into them this year.

Oct 29, 2017
Finally found Sekiro for an ok price, but my fears are getting confirmed. The gameplay is not flexible enough for my taste, and the more open world and less varied environments really isnt helping me stay the course. If anything its making me want to play Dark Souls or Bloodborne, just like Nioh and The Surge did. Guess Ill give it another go, at another time.

Loadout

Oct 26, 2017
Israel
Batman: Arkham Knight - I really wanted to like it. Love the atmosphere and direction, but I just can't stand the gameplay loop, the combat feels so "automatic" and the detective work is so unintuitive. I dropped it back in August and just reinstalled, I'll try to at least beat it.

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 - Got it on an impulse buy on PS4. I kinda enjoyed the first one, but this feels like such a slogfest. And load times on PS4 are ridiculously long I couldn't stand it especially with how much the game emphasizes fast travel. Guess I'll give it another shot on PS5 BC.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - It started really strong but as I've progressed I started to despise the monastery part and it made the entire game feel like a slog to me, even though I enjoyed the story. I think that the somewhat short length of Shadows of Valentia really complimented the game, the combat is fun for about 30~40 hours, having a story of more than 40 is pushing it, especially when outside of combat the game is basically just going through menus and one-dimensional mini-games.

Bonus:
Yakuza 0 - I dropped it last year because the first 2 chapters were so mind-bogglingly boring for me, but I gave it another shot this year, got to chapter 3 with the Majima introduction and from there I just fell in love. So, so good, couldn't stop playing.