• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Metro Exodus - despite not being a problem for me the first two, the silent protagonist thing annoyed the hell out of me in Exodus. Just ripped me straight out of the immersion in the game. Not sure why this one in particular. Just couldn't get past it at all. Hard nope out after about 10 hours into the game and won't be going back.

Sunset Overdrive - played for a few hours, just not for me really.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frostpunk and They Are Billions. I can't be arsed learning what needs to be done to win, especially as a newcomer to the genre. Onwards and upwards...

Oct 27, 2017
Samurai Showdown - This one actually stings a bit for me, because I actually think Samsho is great. But the online was just unquestionably, unbearably awful. I get most of my playtime out of fighting games from the online modes so this was a deal breaker for me.

Doesn't help that there are so few offline content for the game too. Amazing game though.

ZeroNr

Oct 20, 2019
Rdr 2. The laggy control e bad shoting. But i was actually enjoying the game despite those issues, its just that the story kinda lost me half way. Will try to play some more and finish because its just a so well made game. Absolutely beatiful.

Deleted member 3815

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sword of Mana, the game is just too outdated with its game play mechanic,

Team Sonic Racing, it wasn't on purpose I just forgot that I owned the game,

Doesn't really count as I technically finished it but Dragon Quest XI S, I didn't bother starting act 3 due how the plot just undermine act 1 and 2.

xerzewatt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
There are about 40 games that I gave up on this year. Most of them are games that I wasn't expecting much to begin with but I was looking forward to a few of them.

Sekiro: I was actually nearly done with this. The game asked me to traverse the same level a third time and I just gave up. Not being able to level up to make the game easier was also a major factor in killing my enjoyment. Playing Code Vein now and it definitely shows that Dark Souls with an easy mode definitely works.

Metro Exodus: Loved the first two games but this one was really boring. Not only they ruined the whole setting by moving outside the metro system but the open areas meant I get shot/chewed up randomly unless I crawled everywhere.

Crackdown 3: Terry Crews is always fun but the game didn't have anything going for it.

Rage 2: Maybe I'll get back to this one but I expect Rage 1 / Destiny level of polish from gunplay on an FPS and Rage 2 did not work as well.

Sunless Skies: A great game that was a bit too long for my tastes. If reading text boxes are the main game mechanic, maybe ease up on the repetition next time?

Mutant Year Zero: Pretty good tactics game but sneaking around slows the game too much towards the end.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
World War Z - Tried through XGP, awful. Feels janky as anything, and such a boring game.
Black - don't see what all the fuss was about, did the first 4 missions or so.

Last edited:

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Sunless Skies and Morrowind. Sunless skies I put about 18 hours into. I was enjoying it, but I felt like I'd had my fill and moved on.

Morrowind I spent a lot of time modding and played for about 16 hours. I didn't feel compelled to continue beyond that.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gears 5 - Just too boring. I'm so done with that franchise
Far cry 5 - Ditto. So done with Ubisoft as a whole.
Hotline Miami 2 - Overly long for what it is. Just lost interest.
Hollow Knight - Great game, but I've drifted away and I don't see myself returning.

Those are the only ones I've sacked off that I started this year.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro (PS4) - I tried Era, I really tried but after spending hours dealing with spear guy, followed by the drunk fatso and finally beaten multiple time by butterfly. I just couldn't handle the stress, specially with the whole mechanic of people getting sick the more I died.
Maybe I'll give it another go on PC with that easy mode mod.

Left Alive (PS4) - I couldn't finish the tutorial level...

Crackdown 3 (XB1) - Too repetitive for me, and I love Ubisoft games.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Ghost Recon Breakpoint was my most anticipated game of the year and I'm just heartbroken at how bad it is.

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Outer worlds - it's good but I'm just not in a place in my life for that style of game. High school me would have been in heaven. I'm happy for all those out there who are getting to enjoy it the way I enjoyed Fallout 2 when it came out. I'm just happy the style is still alive and well for someone out there.

Sekiro - For all the same reasons listed by everyone else. Love it in concept but don't have time to be that frustrated.
I feel the exact same way about OW. Just gave it up today for the same reasons.

Athrum

Oct 18, 2019
Just dropped Destiny 2 after realizing that I was spending hours on that game doing the same things I was doing 1 year ago (3 strikes, 4 gambit matches, 5 crucible matches) instead of playing games in my backlog.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Dropped RE2 at Leon B because I fucked up my decisions (the station was overrun with zombies, lickers, and Mr. X and I didn't have the means to deal with everything) and had to go back like 2hr on my playthrough and felt that I was done with it.

Dropped FFXIV because MHW Iceborne came out and I just finished A Realm Reborn so it was the right time.

Edit: Abandoned Apex Legends as well, one can only play the same thing for so long.

Edit 2: Crash Team Racing, by world 2 I realized I didn't have fun at any point so why bother?

Looney Tunes World of Mayhem: Phenomenal game that I played for countless of hours and even dropped money on it but it started to feel like work so I just stopped playing.

Last edited:

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Sekiro was the biggest. Didn't feel like learning parrying (I respect how it kinda makes you though) and I thought it's stealth was half baked.

Ace Combat 7 after getting a little over halfway through the campaign because it got too arcadey for my tastes. Missions started getting hard and demanded me to seemingly play the level in a very specific way or risk failure.

DMC5 literally put me to sleep. Idk why. It's a pretty game though?

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Crackdown 3 - i'll get back eventually, just felt kinda bland
Darksiders 3 - same

I'm trying to push through Gears 5 and Borderlands 3 but now the shiny new Modern Warfare has my attention, Luigi's Mansion this weekend, and then Death Stranding and Jedi Fallen Order soon. The good thing is there isn't much after that so I can play through and finish all these before the big releases next year.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Virtue's Last Reward (10 hours) - Had just beat 999 and didn't realize how many different paths I would have to beat to see the ending of VLR. Will probably go back eventually.
Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Editon (2 hours) - Really clunky and the text is impossible to read in handheld mode
Team Sonic Racing (6 hours) - Tracks were way too long to be enjoyable
Jump Force (2 hours) - Just not polished at all, load times were insane too

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
DMC V - wasn't feeling it.
Division 2 - boring.
Destiny 2 - same shit again.
WoW Classic - don't have the time.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Greedfall after 25hrs. Too boring, empty world, no variety in enemies, boring quests and just couldn't stand hearing who the MC was and what faction he was working for every single time I meant a new character.

Dantendo

Oct 27, 2017
South Australia
Division 2 - didn't have enough fun playing through the story and clearing the map to have to do it all again post credits.

Borderlands 3 - didn't find the gameplay very engaging after around 5 hours, had it launched around the start of this gen I would've loved it.

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain. I found it clunky to control.
Indivisible. I was expecting an rpg, but I got more of a mega man game. I also found the characters incredibly annoying

I don't think they are bad games, just that I don't think I'm in a right frame of mind to continue playing them right now. Might give em a shot again in the future.

dadjumper

Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
Control, boss fight near the end with poor checkpointing really showed how unfun that game was to play. Watched the ending on youtube because I was still invested in the story. Overall a good game but not my favourite.
Bloodstained, dropped it in the final area just because it was tedious. I enjoyed it but had had enough by that point and didn't feel like forcing myself to finish it.
Sekiro, just too difficult to me. I've tried DS1, BB and Sekiro and haven't enjoyed any of them enough to keep going

Adam Tyner

Oct 25, 2017
The only real instance over the last few years for me is Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. I started playing it couch co-op with my wife, and although we did trudge our way to the start of chapter 4, it's hard to imagine us picking it up again anytime soon. Neither of us are having any fun.

We're on a prolonged break with Overcooked 2, having hit a difficulty spike that seems more trouble than it's worth at the moment to overcome, but I do think we'll come back to that later.

I've been trying to be more consistent about finishing single player titles, so those sorts of co-op games are the only ones I'm likely to step away from.

Katarn343

Jan 22, 2018
MĂ©xico - United States
  • Far Cry New Dawn: the open world is less interesting than that of Far Cry 5 (which I quite liked), and the story is nonsensical and boring. Characters are boring. It's not a bad game per se but not my cup of tea.
  • RAGE 2: The open world is pretty but also very dull. The story isn't good. Enemy variety is lacking. I rented it and even returned it early.
  • Fallout 76: I actually didn't encounter many bugs/disconnects - had some fun playing it when Wild Appalachia dropped, but haven't played too much in months. The world is beautiful and there are interesting things to find, but no NPCs was a terrible decision for a Fallout game. Maybe when Wastelanders drops I'll re-install it. Definitely will never subscribe to that Fallout 1st bs.
  • The Outer Worlds: Can't really said I dropped it because I haven't, but I find myself rooting for it to finish and having to drag myself to end it. I don't have any particular interest in the story or characters (other than a handful). Most characters behave the same way, are snarky or have a very similar sense of humor (obviously all written by the same person). People complained about Bethesda streamlining Fallout 4 but Obsidian definitely streamlined The Outer Worlds compared to New Vegas. Three ammo types, reduced weapon variety, no legendary enemies, no true disguise system, perks are simple buffs, no skill checks outside of dialogue/lockpicking/hacking, no mini-game like Caravan, only two equip slots, no companion wheel, no random encounters, etc.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Sekiro.

I'm a massive From fan, but Sekiro was just too much. I made it to the second to last boss, but by that time, I had had enough of it. The boss didn't seem to fit in to everything I had being taught (felt like a Dark Souls boss), and after hearing the final boss has four phases, I hard quit. I just don't have time to learn four phases in a fight that can go for 20 minutes.

From, please, for the love of Kos, stop with these multi-phase bosses. When you added a third phase in one of the DLC bosses in DS3, it was cute, but now it's getting kind of annoying

Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2: my friends and I just all dropped it. The grind is *unreal*; it felt too much like work. Also, we got tired of competing with each other to get the final (killing) blow to complete bounties.

Oct 27, 2017
I've beat over 50 games this year and I've only dropped 3:

1. Observer on Xbox One

I really didn't want to play a walking sim at the time and this game was the slowest of burns. I guess I was just needing a little more action at the time. Plus, getting it on game pass made me care less about completing it.

2. RAGE on Xbox 360

I honestly just believe this game is trash. Fetch quests, garbage story, and a bad checkpoint system combined with a horrible checkpoint at the Rancor looking boss. Can't believe iD made this shit.

3. Otogi on original Xbox

This game is awesome but it required some serious grind I wasn't up for at the time. I want to go back because I love From Software games. I would recommend this one.

Is Observer worth going back to?

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I've beat over 50 games this year and I've only dropped 3:

1. Observer on Xbox One

I really didn't want to play a walking sim at the time and this game was the slowest of burns. I guess I was just needing a little more action at the time. Plus, getting it on game pass made me care less about completing it.

2. RAGE on Xbox 360

I honestly just believe this game is trash. Fetch quests, garbage story, and a bad checkpoint system combined with a horrible checkpoint at the Rancor looking boss. Can't believe iD made this shit.

3. Otogi on original Xbox

This game is awesome but it required some serious grind I wasn't up for at the time. I want to go back because I love From Software games. I would recommend this one.

Is Observer worth going back to?
I think Observer is very cool and worth seeing to the end. It's not long at all so definitely worth completing.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I played like 30 minutes of both Wonder Boy and the Dragon's Trap and Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom, and decided to drop the former because I enjoyed just the short time I spent with the latter a lot more. I'm like several hours into Cursed Kingdom now and wondering if I made the right decision though, because it's okay but very....low budget and feels like something made by a team that isn't used to games of this scope.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Oh I drop so many games but they're mostly Steam trash anyway, the major three this year are:

1. Sekiro - Loved Demon/Dark/Bloodborne, but I couldn't get into this one. Parrying is just too much for me.
2. Bloodstained - It just looks so damn ugly, and at one point I ran into a boss by chance and it killed me and I lost +20 minutes of progress because I didn't manually save at one of the save rooms. Instantly deleted it after that.
3. The Outer Worlds - Again, I just don't like the look of that world one bit, and exploring it didn't feel rewarding. It just felt like a worse Fallout.

Last edited:

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sekiro- I think this game made me realize i just don't enjoy the souls game play. The medieval Japan setting made me hope that i would like it more, but it was the core game play that i just don't enjoy.
Anthem-Mainly bought it for a friend day 1. Played it for 2 hours then dropped it. What a waste of money.
Super Mario Maker 2-only played a couple hours of it. I really need to stop buying games unless i know for sure i'm going to play them a lot. :/

There's other not off the top of my head that i can remember i have a bad habit of buying games and barely playing them.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got an hour into Borderlands 3 and traded it in. Just the same shit in a prettier toilet.

Anthem. It was Anthem.

Mario Maker 2. I have no interest in auto run levels, impossible puzzles or gimmick levels, I want to play Mario levels made by the community.

Observer. The terrible voice acting and dreadful performance was a major turn off and I haven't been happy with a single Bloober team title so it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Oct 27, 2017
1. Bloodborne - Love the aesthetic and the lore, hate the gameplay. I think I'm just not a From Software gameplay fan (and yet I'll probably still try their new game)
2. Left Alive - bugged out early, never went back after I heard it was terrible
3. Card City Nights 2 - just got bored of it
4. Divinity Original Sin 2 - made my computer chug, so I need to wait to play this until I upgrade
5. Fallout 76 - same as Left Alive, ran into bugs, stopped playing (only got 2 hours in too)
6. Subnautica - just didn't grab me, played about 4 hours of it and just stopped

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Gears 5- Dropped a few hours in. Just couldn't get into it.
Siekro-Enjoyed playing it, but i got busy and went on a few months hiatus, came back and i don't remember where to go or what to do. It's hard to get back into the rhythm of playing too.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Days Gone - Ran like ass on my base PS4, if it were a PC title I would have finished it most likely.

Modern Warfare - Multiplayer is a camp fest and it's just boring as hell.

Division 2 - Enjoyed it but content dried up fast.

WoW: BfA - Awful expansion in general and Classic shits all over it.

Sekiro - I just got bored about 3/4 of the way through, it's the first Soulsborne I haven't finished.

Gears 5 - Got about halfway and stopped due to WoW Classic coming out, I'd like to finish it at some point.

Blackjaw

Nov 21, 2017
Gonna get shit on for this...but BotW for the third time. Around the 18-20hr mark I just get bored...tired of weapons breaking (aka running from every fight to conserve my good weapons) and tired of finding shrines and exploring an empty world.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro.

After playing DMC5 & Days Gone, I didn't like that game telling me to play a certain way.