• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Quasicat

Self-requested ban
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mass Effect Andromeda. I played the heck out of the trilogy. I picked it up at launch, played a couple of hours, then deleted it. I hear it's better now, I need to see if it hooks me with all of the updates.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
MGSV: Plot was a nothing that didn't do service to the events before and after. Fantastic gameplay but a waste of time emotionally.

Person 5: Again, emotional resonance felt lacking. Ranking up social links felt more like a chore than getting to be better friends with everyone.

None of these were bad games, mind you.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
Monster Hunter World. It was my first monhun game and while I enjoyed the demo, the main game didn't grab me and I didn't enjoy the long monster fights.

I also regret buying games for the sole reason to play multiplayer with friends. I've been burned so many times by the friends not playing at all, or playing once or twice and never again. I'm done with that. No real fault of the games themselves though so no point in naming them.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Zelda BOTW. Weapon degradation, no story, no voice over, bad dungeons, horrible final boss. Do not get what people were smokin with that one.
Absolutely this for me.

People will constantly cite this as the greatest game of all time, and I just don't get it. I spent 60 hours with it, played from start to finish and waited the whole time for it to get good. I like the characters (what few there are), and don't dislike the visual style. But having to actually play it is another matter.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely put me in for BotW. Got me hyped thinking it was a more open OoT, and it ended up being a collectothon, bad temples, an empty overworked, a forgettable soundtrack outside of a few tracks, annoying Ancient Guardians, etc. Like the amount of fervent worship this game gets is beyond me. I'm just glad I played my friends copy instead of buying it myself because I would have been mad.

Oct 27, 2017
The Phantom Pain was a huge disappointment. Dull empty open world. Lack of boss fights, barley any story, boring characters, forced online.

ShadowFox08

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Rocket League and Mario Tennis Aces. Rocket League is not fun to play by yourself at all. There's no single player content whatsoever. Mario Tennis Aces on the other hand, I actually played the online tournament demo and had a blast with it.. and I predownloaded it, but I was turned off by the character imbalance(now fixed), criticisms of the story mode... but most of all, how much motion controls sucks how its inferior to wii tennis. And its only available as a sub mode in multiplayer.

Also, Pokemon Lets Go. I played the first 30 minutes and haven't played it since. I'd like to get in it again so I don't waste my money. I bought it cause my friends bought it and asked me to. Maybe I'm burned out on gen 1 remakes or the fact that there's barely any content in this game(mainly post game.. and only 152 pokemon to catch). And then weeks later I got hooked into pokemon go and feel like I have no need for this game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild was insanely overhyped and I don't like it that much, but I don't hate it. It's more like...people were talking it up like the best Zelda game ever made and it was decent but extremely flawed.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Stellaris. It didn't looked like a game I would enjoy, but I decided to give a try anyway. After a few hours, I'm still not sure of what I'm supposed to do.

Vroadstar

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
BOTW for me. even bought my son a switch so i can play it, but man as others already mentioned weapon degradation, boring combat never enjoyed it so i dropped it

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
Shadow of Mordor - Not a single thing about this intrigued me. The 'story' was extremely short and disappointing while the gameplay was pretty much Arkham just on Middle Earth. Don't even see how the nemesis system got so much praise, it wasn't anything special.

Bloodborne - Die, do the same thing again, die, do the same thing again, die. Just got boring. If I could have actually kept my items and had checkpoints before bosses it may have kept my attention.

Zelda Breath of the Wild - Just never clicked. The puzzles got boring while the story missions were lame and felt like a copy and paste job all over. Open world wasn't even interesting either, would rather roam and explore in many other games where there's more to do.

Horizon Zero Dawn - I actually quite liked the opening of this game when it was pretty linear. After those first few hours though the whole game just became messy, especially the story. Like Zelda, I had no reason or interest to explore the map, it was pretty but didn't have much to do either.

Hellblade - Maybe cheating as I played this on Game Pass but the only reason I even gave it a go was because of the hype. Played just over an hour and while it was graphically nice everything else was so boring. Felt like a poor man's God of War.

Assassin's Creed Origins - I actually loved Syndicate so I was a little excited for this after hearing good things. Instead what I got was a game which wasn't even Assassin's Creed but a full on RPG instead which was lacking in so many areas. Ancient Egypt was rather dull, the story sucked, you had to grind for hours at times and the gameplay just overall felt worse than the previous games.

Sounds like you don't enjoy video games tbh

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Uncharted 4.
Didn't play any previous entries but was highly recommended to it.
Played a game that felt like what was essentially a non-game to me. Really just not my cup of tea. Helped persuade me to sell my ps4 also.
Also octopath traveler. I got bored of it. I should've learned my lesson after doing the same with bravely default. At least both have stellar soundtracks that I still listen to

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Monster Hunter World.
First and last monster hunter.

Finally fantasy 15, Jesus what an insult to the franchise.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Not because of the hype, but went in hyped: Super Mario Odyssey. Bitchin core mechanics wasted on so much filler.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
Its funny how many people say Uncharted 4, when it was the first one that I really enjoyed. The last 3 were like 5/10, 6/10, 7/10 to me. 4 was like a 9/10, and might have almost been 10 if they didnt occasionally slip into their old ways og setting up combat scenarios

OP
OP
Sid

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Admittedly I haven't read every post but the games which have been mentioned the most so far are:-

- Red Dead Redemption 2
- Uncharted 4
- Zelda Breath of The Wild
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Final Fantasy XV

I feel I should also add why I bought the games mentioned in the OP and add 1 more, it wasn't just hype:-

Uncharted 4 - I liked all the previous entries and this game was said to be a 'perfect execution of the craft' or something like that, well now I know I should probably stay the fuck away from any game which is 'elevating the medium' because it will most likely be boring as hell. I feel when the story overshadows gameplay as much as it did in this game, to the point where you have several dull slow walking/traversal moments just to advance it and the game becomes a complete slog to get through, some points should be deducted for that.

Killzone Shadow Fall - Huge fan of the Killzone franchise but this game was said to be 'solid' but was actually very dull and boring, 2 words which I never thought I'd say for Killzone game especially after 2 and 3.

Shadow of Mordor, MGS V and Wolfenstein TNO - They all reviewed extremely well and had a lot of hype behind them but were very dull, yawn worthy even.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mario Odyssey, Zelda Breath of the Wild, Xenoblade 2, and Octopath Traveller. I pretty much just need to stay away from Nintendo hype threads. At least Smash turned out decently.

Oct 26, 2017
Hollow Knight

I absolutely understand why people love it. The visuals are amazing, the OST atmospheric, the controls snappy, and the challenge rewards clever play.
But the slooooow trickle of upgrades, the long winded exploration just made it feel like a drag.

I tried to love it but after 10 hours I just had to force myself to come back to it, so I dropped it. Not for me.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV by far. I went in very lttp and by then everyone and their DDog had their say on the game but I was still excited to go in and...oh boy. The worst part about the game was how amazing it played but everything else was weak as hell. Felt like I was playing a progression based indie rogue like. This is not Metal Gear...wtf is this?!

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2.

I started it immediately after playing though Horizon Zero Dawn and GOW as the previous two games I played. Going from the crisp, smooth, responsive gameplay mechanics of HZD and GOW into the clumsy, plodding, unwieldy and bumbling gameplay of RDR 2 rendered it nearly unplayable, let alone enjoyable. Nice visuals, characters and convincing world, but I can't forgive or overlook the horrid gameplay. How it's a 97 on Meta is baffling to me.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I'm pretty sure I tried a cod this gen and was definitely disappointed in the usual worst in class servers ....

Also I'm not much for long games anymore don't have time to kill so rdr2 while being good is I find way too much wasted time. Everything takes way too long. Like just walking around your own camp is dumb you can't run or use a horse.

Also witcher 3 yeah the gameplay still sucks.

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Botw because is too easy, the combat is really basic, lack of enemy type, the explorations sucks because you have almost no reward etc.

Xeno 2 for the combat and map\exploration skill\blade gatcha system.

Gears of war 4 because story and pg are fucking boring, the gunplay is basically the same as ever (like some animation) and for the worst case of reskinned enemy in the history of modern videogame...

Last edited:

Deleted member 15447

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Night in the Woods
Dead Cells
Monster Hunter World
Far Cry 5

Didn't hate them, just didn't really enjoy them.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
Doom. Im not a big fps guy anyway, the only ones i like are the ones with good story. So its kinda my fault thinking i might like this game

ASTROID2

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't think Fallout 76 was gonna be so bad. I was hyped for a new fallout world.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Nioh
I was very hyped for this game, hearing that Koei Tecmo and specifically Team Ninja is putting out a soulslike game. Uninteresting story and protagonist. While the game-play was good the game ended up being way too long and suffered from the same thing a lot of Koei Tecmo games do, recycled maps and enemies until you can't take it no more.

Monster Hunter: World
First Monster Hunter game that I bought on day one with some friends. I really wanted to get into it and learn everything. The end result was that two of my friends quit the game after 5 hours while I ended up playing the game for around 20 hours and things still felt so overwhelming and complicated that I decided to spend my time on other games.

Uncharted 4
I don't know why I keep buying the Uncharted games and hope they will somehow be something it's not. cover, shoot, cover, shoot, run, jump, climb, climb, climb, climb. While the graphics, animations and performance are impressive as hell, the game just isn't that fun to play for me. I will probably stay away from this series in the future.

The Order 1886
Wasted potential.