• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, another one is CTR: Nitro-Fueled. Enjoyed the game for a time, but once the grand prix events started I felt like I fell behind and didn't have the motivation to come back. I enjoyed what I was playing, and I'd like to go back eventually, but I just don't care enough right now too.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
I'm sure there are a lot but the most recent one I can remember is Dragon Ball FighterZ. It came out while I was still deeply entrenched in Monster Hunter World so when it launched I played it for maybe one session.....then got back to World and didn't touch it again until around the time DBS Broly launched.

andresmoros

Oct 29, 2017
Houston
Red Dead Redemption 2. Played 3 hours in a sitting and I just quit. It felt slow, boring and tedious. I loved the first one, but for some reason the second one just wasn't my cup of tea. Sold it a few months ago.

sncvsrtoip

Banned
Apr 18, 2019
Divinity original sin 2, very slow and rather blind narrative at the beginning + turnbased slow fights (I hope I would liked it, baldurs gate 2 is one of my favorite but also played it ages ago)

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Sunshine comes to memory as the most prominent. Played again years later, and still have not beat it, but it was more out of just needing to play that game to try to finish it. Sunshine is a bad Mario game, but I want to finish so bad now.

Plus SOCOM came out like within a week of SMS and that game definitely took the trophy as game of the rest of the summer / fall for me. Game was crazy good and being able to play with friends. I don't think it was until the 2nd game that had voice chat either.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
Astral Chain (Had a big 9-hour session with my buddies over discord and never played it again after that).

Persona 5: Over the course of about 20 hours in a limited number of sittings, I got passed the first dungeon and bowed out.

Little Town Hero. Echoing the post on the first page, awful game. Waaaaaaaay too slow for its own good, as the combat system itself is fine, but it just has like 5 different things layered on top to make it miserable to play.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
Closest one for me has either been Ghost Recond Wildlands (which i forgot to cancel the preoder i had on amazon lol, I had reserved it at $50 in case I changed my mind) or Fallout 4. Probably dropped it my third session

edit: nvm Death Stranding is the most recent, I still need to go back to but im too busy to start running errands lol

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Super Mario Party and Xenoblade 2.

SMP is a terrible package, a tiny selection of boring ass boards that pale in comparison to the ones from the N64/GC games. Minigames were pretty good, but again, nowhere near as good as the N64/GC ones.

Xenoblade 2 dialled up the anime cringe and has a terrible combat system (not an ARPG fan, but even then). Sold it after putting 5 hours in.
A few weeks ago I would have agreed regarding xenoblade 2. I was bored sheltering at home and decided to give it another shot. 65 hours later and I beat it last night. I found the anime cringe to be fairly minimal once you give the game a chance... besides Pyra's character design which is awful at hour 1 and hour 65.

And the combat/general gameplay is some of the best of any jrpg I've played and I've been playing them since ff7 came out. I think what really sets the gameplay apart from other jrpgs is that it assumes I am an intelligent human being.

I enjoyed the game (mostly the gameplay) so much I bought a wii u just for xenoblade x.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
A few games this gen

Street fighter 5
mortal kombat 10
FInal fantasy xv
shadow of mordor.
ratchet and clank remake

It's not like they're bad games, they just happened to be victims of busy moments in my life and i tend to forget about them.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Watch_Dogs. If I wanted to play GTA, I'd play GTA. The cheap clone with shreds of what was originally teased with the first trailer glued on the surface did nothing for me.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Metro 2033. Was a big fan of STALKER so was hoping for something similarly atmospheric/intense while being more of a linear game. I just didn't think it was very fun to play, used it for benchmarks a lot over the years at least.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Yooka Laylee (I think it was only $40) but I bought it on release and played maybe 30 minutes and could not stand the floaty controls so I never returned.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Very few... Let me think...

laDv4wmidinZMFnlzkvXoyXJPS9NtSW1L9jGvP_sy3Q.jpg

I think I got between 2-4 hours in, and never touched it again. Boring and uninspired.

It might be the only physical game I've done this with. I am sure there've been a number of digital games I've done this with though.

Megamind.

Nov 18, 2019
Crysis 2. I dont think it was day 1, but it was full price. It was boring and I couldn't get into it

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Persona 5 Royal most recently. I beat the original P5, and I'm interested in going through Royal at some point but I've been way more focused on RE3 Remake, FFVII Remake, and Animal Crossing New Horizons to really give it anything beyond a quick bootup, since despite a few major changes even in the opening scenes, it feels a bit too familiar and I'm really, really caught up in all of the "newness" of the other games, especially since I finished P5 feeling like it had nearly exhausted my patience with it due to the pacing of the back end of the game.

Right now, Trials of Mana is this way but it came out in the middle of my work week so I've only had time to squeeze a single session in. It will probably be a single-session experience until I manage to wrap up FFVIIR, but I like what I've played so far (as a fan of the original) and I think I will commit hard to it after I clear FFVII.

And I had this happen with Super Mario Maker 2 as well, but my single session was a chunky 5 hours or so. I just haven't gone back since I played through a good chunk of its built-in campaign and a few user-generated levels. It's a great game, but again there was a sense of familiarity having played the original Super Mario Maker that kinda caused the appeal to fade after that single session.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ace Combat 7. Didn't refund it since I wanted to support the dev, but flying combat games are very much not for me.

wideface

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hidamari Apartments
The Princess Guide.
I think it was full price at the time, but also quite cheap.
Played literally 5 minutes and I was done. Terrible, terrible game.

Oct 27, 2017
Ghost recon breakpoint: the movement was weird and the map was super Cluttered.

call of duty modern warfare: just played weird and not like other games

Skyrim remastered: love love love Skyrim on my 360, but I couldn't get into this version. Maybe it's because I've played it so many times and I hate the opening hours of the game

far cry 5: loved 4, 5 was a mess and I hated it

cuphead: just too hard

evolve: I hated playing the monster but it just kept matchmaking me as it no matter what

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Too man to name to be honest. Some notable recent ones:

Fallout 4
Xenoblade 2
Octopath
Sunset Overdrive
Dissidia NT
BoTW - This one is not quite the same as I have restarted the game a ton of times but I always just do the Plateau and then never play again.

So many others, I have stopped buying so many day 1 games because of it.

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
God of War. The terrible camera completely ruins the game for me. You shouldn't need to have warning flashers for enemies behind or to the side of you, just zoom the damn camera out.

Also Astral Chain. To be honest this is more on me than anything, as I'm not even really sure why I bought it day one. Platinum games just don't click with me for some reason. The only one I've enjoyed was Nier Automata.

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
The very first Monster Hunter on PS2. It's actually nuts how the older games got consistent low reviews yet they kept getting localized and now look what it has become

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Probably 95% of the games I purchase are dropped after a single session, yet I continue to buy them. Rentals would save me so much money.

One specific game that really hurt was Crash Team Racing. I was able to get over it being complete trash. The worst part was Sony denying my only refund request after being on PSN since day one and spending tens of thousands on games that I've most likely played once.

Mikch85

May 12, 2018
Ni No Kuni 2. But that's on me, I didn't like the first one and for some reason still purchased its sequel day one. I gave it an hour and bye bye.

$10 Bagel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deus Ex Mankind Divided.

I have no idea why I even bought it. I didn't even like Human Revolution.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Astral Chain and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. I think I know why with DE:MD, but I do still plan to head back to Astral Chain one of these days...

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
Fallout 76 a couple of months after launch. I really wanted to believe...

The good thing is: that was in early 2019. Now with the Wastelanders update, I tried it again, and I'm hooked. 40 hours and counting.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Mass effect Andromeda. I played it for about an hour and a half and hated everything about it. Really bummed me out cause I played the shit out of the original trilogy multiple times including dlc and the multiplayer horde mode of 3.
This would be my answer.

Played it for a max of three hours and despised it so damn much that even the awesome WLW crew member couldn't get me to play more and for me that is a big damn deal.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Puppeteer already dropped to like $20 by the time my preorder showed up in the mail.

edit: lol i thought this thread was about something else

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Lots of games but I just ended up refunding them.
Usually what I do too.

Last one physically was Red Dead Redemption 2 (I do not like R* games and their odd mix of "free roam but do exactly like we want it") and before that Splatoon 2 (I cannot get used to the controls, I dunno why the aiming feels better in BotW.)

Also a ton of free and Game Pass games get this treatment. Sometimes you find a gem but I'm a picky gamer.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CTR remake. Bought it day 1 on PSN, started the game, finished the story mode then go for the online aaaaand... Fuck that, online mode it's so broken and unfinished... Never touched the game again.
I don't know if it was fixed but at least for me I don't want to play it again.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Got 3 hours into Astral Chain, long enough for the constant terrible end-of-level rankings to finally start hitting me on a personal level, before I dropped it. Haven't gone back since.
Jesus. It definitely made me stop playing it too. Also I think the game is over rated. Like the I just never managed to get the combat system to flow as it should. It's because it controls awkwardly. The only positive thing is that I can probably get back what I paid for it on eBay. Switch games never lose that much value.