• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alent

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much any 2D platforming game not named Klonoa. I just can't seem to admit i suck at them and keep buying them and trying my best.

bshock

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Definitely Smash in particular. I'm absolutely terrible but find it infinitely enjoyable to lose repeatedly or win by luck.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Oh I am bad at every game.
I am ashamed I suck even at The Last of Us, the stealth is just too much for my nerves. But LOVE IT !!

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Awesomenauts. I have tried just about every character, on PC and PS4. I am horrendous and I feel bad every time I play and can visually see how my teammates know I am dragging them down and hate me. But I still love it. It has so much character and it's just fun to play, even as I am being murdered. I fire it up once or twice a month. Must have spent over $100 on DLC and what not.
Do you think online multiplayer games are more predisposed to making people feel like their skills are 'bad' and unwelcome?

I've heard friends complain at length about online teammates and this has made me wary of playing offline games with them. Meanwhile some game's are designed to address players weaknesses, like Splatoon's rollers being ideal for players that can't handle combat but want to support the team.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't have a clue about cars or how to drive, but I get every Gran Turismo game and love them all.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
2D fighting games like Street Fighter, BlazBlue, Samurai Shodown, Mark of Wolves, KOF, Guilty Gear and more. Love playing them, suck at playing against other players.
I used to buy and play a lot of fighting games, but then I was exposed to high level play which always seemed so boring. So much practice and routine, and tactics which made the game so tedious. I went from importing KOF95 to avoiding all fighting games. My favourite fighting games are those on Neo Geo Pocket.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trash at first-person shooters, and I hate most of them, but I loved playing Halo: Combat Evolved's PC demo and Team Fortress 2.

I'm also trash at most fighting games, but they're kind of a blast when played with friends on a similar skill level.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
All fighting games that I play. I love the genre and buy nearly every major release within it, but I have never ever been good enough long-term to hold my own online or at local tournaments -- and I've tried. I did okay advancing my skills in Street Fighter V with its launch, owing largely to many of the casual friendly conceits in its gameplay design such as no more 1-frame-links. I also was able to hold my own online in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite last year during the game's opening month, though my first week was pretty disastrous in terms of wins -- a lot of it was just me figuring things out. Outside of that, I can't even nail fundamentals like wavedashing in Tekken 7, and I can barely keep track of what's going on in a game like Dragon Ball FighterZ, but I love to play both of those games regardless.

Also, I've always been pretty trash and remain pretty trash at Tetris but I love the hell out Tetris Effect and PuyoPuyo Tetris, so much so that Tetris Effect is my personal GOTY 2018. I love playing it, but in the vast majority of modes the best I can manage is a C rank in performance.

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm terrible at Smash Bros but I've been playing the hell out of it and it's a blast.

I tried to watch a video and I don't even understand the terminology for the game.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Fighting games. I have fun with the SP modes but get destroyed online.

Dead Cells. 30 hours and I've made it to the 2nd boss only twice but love the game feel.

Deleted member 18347

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Or maybe if you don't do well at a game then you don't love it.

*thinking*
That's a great way to hate on games you are bad at
Nope.

Fighting games for example I can't tell if I'm good or bad as I only played them casually and not often, and we all button mashed back in the day so that's no metric to go by. Even then it was a 50/50 affair.

Other than that, shooters, racers, rhythm games... all these I've played with high ranking players and achieved ranks. Flight sims I'm maybe a little better than average but definitely not bad. Arcade titles like Rocket League I play every once in a while and I'm diamond ranked so a bit above average I guess.

I'm competitive and always try to understand what I'm doing wrong instead of developing muscle memory with bad tactics.

Edit: I kinda sound like a douche here lol

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Do you think online multiplayer games are more predisposed to making people feel like their skills are 'bad' and unwelcome?

I've heard friends complain at length about online teammates and this has made me wary of playing offline games with them. Meanwhile some game's are designed to address players weaknesses, like Splatoon's rollers being ideal for players that can't handle combat but want to support the team.

It's a lot like sports. I played basketball in highschool. One wanted to achieve because it was a group effort. I am guessing it's the same in online games.

BTW I was pretty good at basketball. I can still melt fools with my handles and jay.

gfxtwin

Use of alt account
Oct 28, 2017
Tim Schafer's adventure games. I love Broken Age and Grim Fandango's story and characters, but the abstruse puzzle design grinds the pacing to a halt for me.

As for something more challenging, I'm certainly no expert at Cuphead, but boy is it a looker, and I am fascinated with its design - the way each new level starts off as the hardest shit ever and gradually becomes manageable enough that it actually kinda feels relaxing, like most games. It took many, many failed attempts but most of the levels I can one shot now. I don't remember playing anything else with a difficulty curve like that, especially with a blend of randomness and pattern memorization instead of just pattern memorization.

Last edited:

Delta Phoenix

Oct 28, 2017
PUBG. I suck at multiplayer at general though, but I just have a lot of fun playing with friends that it doesn't really matter that I suck.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
Resident Evil 1/2/3 are literally unplayable without cheats for me because of how bad I am at them, but I really love them.

EtaMari

Dec 17, 2018
Star Craft 2: I'm only Zerg Diamond 2 league but I love the game a lot and my dream is to become Master 1 one day...

I would also like to master one character from Street Fighter V, but the lack of content/rewards and its pricy microtransactions made me so angry, that I decided to stop playing it, until they fix everything that I don't like about it.
p.s. So far, they have added ads to the game...

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Nope.

Fighting games for example I can't tell if I'm good or bad as I only played them casually and not often, and we all button mashed back in the day so that's no metric to go by. Even then it was a 50/50 affair.

Other than that, shooters, racers, rhythm games... all these I've played with high ranking players and achieved ranks. Flight sims I'm maybe a little better than average but definitely not bad. Arcade titles like Rocket League I play every once in a while and I'm diamond ranked so a bit above average I guess.

I'm competitive and always try to understand what I'm doing wrong instead of developing muscle memory with bad tactics.

Edit: I kinda sound like a douche here lol
HardCore_Gamer_1024x1024.jpg

Just messing with you

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking fighting games the thread. I will unleash Supers and Smashes because I want to do fun flashy crazy shit even when it's the worst time to do them. I will repeatedly jump at enemies who have proven they know how to counter. I fail at parries or anything requiring similar timing. I very occasionally pull off clutch wins and think I'm the best shit ever.

OP
OP
dock

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Dead Cells

Coming up 20 hours now and still haven't defeated The Concierge (the first boss).
This boss is terrible. I love Dead Cells but the bosses really kill the flow of the game and funnel everything into this narrow design. The Concierge almost made me stop playing.

grang

Nov 13, 2017
Rocket League. I have like 1400 hours and I'm low platinum/ high gold in competitive.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hollow knight for one, man do i suck, but it feels so good to play. Ive probably restarted remake about a dozen times due to making major screw ups, one of these days i might actually beat it. Ive resorted to using a guide for this latest attempt. But i love resident evil, and I want to love the original especially after how much i enjoyed 7 which i know was a return to form in a lot of ways after the more actiony games, and im really excited for remake 2

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rainbow Six Siege. I enjoy the times I play it but I pretty much never get a kill or do much of note. I wish I was better at it.

Total War Warhammer 2. The game is phenomenal and appeals to me on several levels, but i'm so bad at it. The safer option is usually for me to auto-resolve battles because when I do them manually I tend to mess them up and lose battles I should easily win.

Golden Boy

Dec 12, 2018
Every 3D iteration The Legend of Zelda comes to mind. I've had to use a guide for all of them in order to progress.

Tpallidum

Oct 28, 2017
Hollow knight for one, man do i suck, but it feels so good to play. Ive probably restarted remake about a dozen times due to making major screw ups, one of these days i might actually beat it. Ive resorted to using a guide for this latest attempt. But i love resident evil, and I want to love the original especially after how much i enjoyed 7 which i know was a return to form in a lot of ways after the more actiony games, and im really excited for remake 2
Wait hold on. How do you screw up in hollow Knight where you feel you have to restart? I don't think you need to be restarting, my dude. The only thing you lose permanently by dying a lot is money and that's not that big of a deal. Just stick with it. Let it rock. Game becomes bearable after you get some maps and aren't wondering were tf to go next. One of the best games of 2017 👍

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Paradox Development Studio is likely my favorite modern dev. But boy howdy to I suck at their grand-strategy titles.

Crusader Kings II and Stellaris are god-tier gaming. But I'm absolutely rubbish at them, lol.

Still love the learning process though.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I play on Normal difficulty and if I like a game I can generally muddle my way through but what comes to mind is Civ 6 Rise and Fall. I like building wonders and having a nice peaceful time so I play on the equivalent of normal and have a chill time, mostly, as sometimes you spawn next to warmongers.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wait hold on. How do you screw up in hollow Knight where you feel you have to restart? I don't think you need to be restarting, my dude. The only thing you lose permanently by dying a lot is money and that's not that big of a deal. Just stick with it. Let it rock. Game becomes bearable after you get some maps and aren't wondering were tf to go next. One of the best games of 2017 👍

No no, i should have clarified, in the second part i was talking abot resident evil remake haha, im slowly progressing in hollow knight

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
Tetris Effect. Although that stage (I presume the last one) Metamorphosis is quickly making me fall out of love with it.

Oct 25, 2017
Most CRPGs, particularly the ones that are based on actual PnP games. I tend to struggle often even on lower difficulties, but they're usually such cozy, relaxing games. Just click around for 50 hours and read a couple of books' worth of dialogue.
I don't know what I am doing combat wise, but I'm not going to let that stop me from playing the true fun part of the game. Reading and choosing dialogue for a billion hours.

I got some attribute points and can choose a new skill. What do I pick? Fuck if I know. Lets just dump it into magic or strength and pick the skill that sounds like it will help me kill things faster and call it a day.

I appreciate when crpgs have non-combat skills since I know what type of character I want to build then.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh yeah, Souls games and Bloodborne also count. I'm not completely awful at them and I've certainly gotten way better over the years, but I don't think I'll ever finish any of them completely solo.

I got some attribute points and can choose a new skill. What do I pick? Fuck if I know. Lets just dump it into magic or strength and pick the skill that sounds like it will help me kill things faster and call it a day.

Lmao, exactly. What the hell do these buffs and debuffs even mean? I guess I'll just pick the spell that has the words "deals damage" in its description.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Fighting games. I love SFV, MvCI, DBFZ, KI, etc. but I couldnt do a counter or non-auto combo in any of them lol

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
I'd say fighting games. I barely scrape by with normal difficulty AI and get stomped by other players.

But I'll be there day 1 for MK11 and the next KI.