• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
How the hell does your game look so sharp? 4 and 76 (mostly the latter) are blurry messes on my computer, even with DoF and Motion Blur disabled.

These are photos of my OLED, with 76 running on the Xbox One X (so a photo of a screen). Even with the obvious decrease in detail I still think that Fallout 76 has incredible IQ. I haven't seen jaggie on this game and everything looks very sharp. (LOD and pop-in = yes, in the distance, but jaggies? Zero)

However, NPCs faces and animations are still Xbox 360-era. (Its a good thing people wear healmets and masks in a post apocalyptic world)

G8BNYlQ.jpg

vVNckO2.jpg

KXv6D6Y.jpg

F3c8OnT.jpg

bJlup9F.jpg

Mindfreak191

Dec 2, 2017
It's a little bit on the older side, but I remember Oblivion sometimes looking like straight ass compared to how good it looked when it released lol

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
Final Fantasy VII Remake, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and PokƩmon Sword/Shield are the first that come to mind. At least from recent titles.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
These are photos of my OLED, with 76 running on the Xbox One X (so a photo of a screen). Even with the obvious decrease in detail I still think that Fallout 76 has incredible IQ. I haven't seen jaggie on this game and everything looks very sharp. (LOD and pop-in = yes, in the distance, but jaggies? Zero)

However, NPCs faces and animations are still Xbox 360-era. (Its a good thing people wear healmets and masks in a post apocalyptic world)

G8BNYlQ.jpg

vVNckO2.jpg

KXv6D6Y.jpg

F3c8OnT.jpg

bJlup9F.jpg

What does IQ mean? I keep seeing it but can't find anything on google related to video game graphics.

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017
Those FF7R ones are interesting. Does the game have issues loading textures or LoDs or something? Or are some textures just that bad.
From what I noticed (after someone else pointed it out), there seems to be no LOD transitions at all. For instance, low poly/detail objects from a distance appear exactly the same when viewed up close. Texture loading issues are also common but in my experience, they load fairly quick. The problem is the loaded textures still end up looking really bad and low res in many instances.

What does IQ mean? I keep seeing it but can't find anything on google related to video game graphics.
Image Quality

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica

Image Quality. In my post I meant it as an overall "clean and cohesive image"

1. There are no jaggies
  2. There is no blur/artificial sharpness
  3. Shadows are not pixelated-low res
  4. You dont see any obvious artifacts
  5. Good texture filtering
  6. There is minimal LOD / Pop-In evidence (it should exist, but it shouldnt be close to you, open worlds will keep suffering from this)
For example: Halo 5 at launch vs Halo 5 Xbox One X patch. The patch improved a lot of the IQ, but kept the shadow and LOD-distance the same, so things looked better in in the X, but you could see stuff "transforming-popin in" 4 meters in front of you. It had a "clean" but not consistent IQ to me.

alexwise

Nov 3, 2017
May I add The Crew 2 to the list? The game has got huge open world and very nice car models. But the detailing of the open world is so badly done, makes me question the skill of the artists who were responsible for this. You've got tiled textures everywhere which are not broken up by any decals so buildings appear flat, boring and just simple. From afar you can see the actual texture tiles on the buildings. Also some areas outside cities actually look like out-of-bounds areas.

It's shocking for a big budget AAA game. Overall, visuals represent some sort of weird of blend of PS2 and PS4 technology.

the_crew_2_review.0.png

1on0Bxq.jpg

CDle95L.jpg

47bohXX.jpg

Last edited:

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
No,the last chapters when you are ascending to the city above,you can clearly see backgrounds to simulate the far away slums,city structures,similar of what we had in PSOne games,the original FFVII used a lot of those,but was acceptable and expected,here not at all.
You have to overlook a lot to not see all that discrepancy.
FFVIIR still looks great 90% of the time.
final-fantasy-7-remake-graphics-1.jpg

I couldn't find a better shoot.

that is, in no way shape or form, a PS1 quality shot

Not saying you have to like how it looks, but come on.

MrConbon210

Oct 31, 2017
This is like 1% of the game......it looks incredible most of the time....arguably the best looking game ever....it just has weird random dips some times.

People really blew this out of proportion given how good the game generally looks.
It's definitely more than 1 percent. I'd say a solid 10-15% has noticeably bad textures. It's not even like background stuff you'll quickly walk past. There's that scene of Cloud and Tifa early on the the awful door is the only thing you're looking at. Or the whole chapter where the skybox looks unfinished.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
FF7R easily. The game look absolutely incredible at times and horrible at others. Skyboxes in particular are laughable.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Jedi Fallen Order.

Has some beautiful areas and planets early on, but some of the later stuff in the game is really bland, lacking detail/assets and the textures drop in quality etc too. But can tell when they started running out of budget/resource/time and had to rush some of the planets.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. If we are being honest Sword and Shield don't really have high highs. It is a pretty mediocre looking game at best and really low lows at worst.
If this thread is about any game it is Final Fantasy VII Remake. The game has very high highs, you sometimes think you are looking at an early PS5 game, and really low lows, you think they put some of the PS1 assets in there as a reference to the original. The extreme contrast is absolutely jarring and I honestly have never seen anything like this before. I wonder what the hell went wrong there.
SWSH has plenty of high highs for a Switch game, especially since it's one of the few 1080p titles on the console.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Definitely FF7R. It goes from being absolutely, breathtakingly beautiful to having watercolor backgrounds with no detail. There are plenty of examples throughout the thread.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nier automata has PS2 textures on some of buildings and other structures. Not a big deal as the game has so many other areas it excels in but goddamit platinum PS2 textures really?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As others have said, Final Fantasy VII Remake. The biggest gulf in quality I've ever experienced in a game.

From this...

FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

e0FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

873FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9fcFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

6a6FINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

8dbFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

9cdFINALFANTASYVIIREMAK.jpg

To this...

EU0YsaEU0AYJzv0

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Nier automata has PS2 textures on some of buildings and other structures. Not a big deal as the game has so many other areas it excels in but goddamit platinum PS2 textures really?
God it was distracting. It's like the non npc character models are all from a different game. I was happy to play it on my One X when it hit gamepass, thinking it was at least optimized for it. But nope, those ps2 area textures and shadows still pop in 20 feet away from you, only now in 4k. It really hit home how budget and lucky fans are the game even exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Another vote for Final Fantasy VII Remake. Certain environments like the Shinra Building look stunning, but while the game has a lot of highs, it also has a lot of REALLY low lows...

or FFXV felt more ambitious than FFVIIR?

Absolutely. While XV also has it's share of blurry textures here and there, it's a lot more consistent than VII Remake. I'd say it's consistently better looking, but VII Remake has it beat in cutscene post-processing and direction.

SleepSmasher

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Fire Emblem Three Houses

l9t09yjlvvd31.jpg
I'm aware that the lazy devs rhetoric is banable here but for Christ's sake, in a console where Luigi's Mansion 3 exists, what's the justification for this? Not only the horrible texture work but the complete lack of an anti-aliasing solution, the unjustifiable 30 FPS with stutters, the Unity-like assets spread across the world... seriously. Graphics aren't everything and I know this game is supposed to be good but I refuse to buy shit looking like that in 2020.

Mar 18, 2019
Final Fantasy VII.

It looked incredible back in 1997. The CGI, the FMV, the pre-rendered backdrops, and the battle graphics. All mind-blowing stuff.

...But my mind was really blown when I saw the field characters show up. They looked horrible. The difference was like night and day. Everything looked incredible and realistic for the time, but those "chibi" characters looked so weird even back then.

Over time, I did get used to the chibi characters, which turned out to be quite charming in their own way. But I still remember the initial shock when I saw those chibi characters for the first time.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Certinfy

It depends, if it's hazy it can look really bland but during the day the game can also look like this

RzwUYQO.png

A9oQpN5.png

wmS4v1o.png

Some night shots

ku0CkQu.png

9x1nDiw.png

Last edited:

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I noticed this in Skyrim a lot

Sometimes you'd get a really nice landscape and other times you'd see weird clipping water, bad textures, or just odd looking vistas (because of the limitations of the xbox 360 - draw distance)

3-giphy-20-2831-29.gif
T0YOc.jpg

Dec 15, 2017
I'd say that for the best looking game of the generation (haven't played it yet) RDR2 texture work and vegetation looks quite subpar. Textures at anything other than ultra are just disrespectful in an AAA game in 2020. More so if you consider Rockstar has all the money and time in the world to deliver a game.

Also the AA solution is not good.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Doesn't work though because there certainly isn't any high in this tremendously ugly game.

It's more of a case of some lows (battles) and some lower lower lows (this fucking castle school that looks like a Unity asset pack from a student in 2010).

I personally like the models in this game, they are not the best in the world, but considering the power of the console and the scale of the battles they are not ugly

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Dark Souls II Vanilla looks straight up broken at times.

qU2mm0V.jpg

indeed.

You have nice looking places like Heide's, Majula, Dragon Shrine and the lead up to Drangleic Castle and, on the other hand, stinkers like FoFG (if I never have to play through that place I'd be happy), Shaded Woods and Tseldora, which look like ugly slabs of blurry grey and brown.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
I think this is what happen in FFVIIR:
1. SE already delayed the game from March 3rd to April 10th.
2. SE knows that some area still need to be fix. But the game it self already running ok.
3. Some lockdown scenario looming around Japan/Tokyo (and other parts of the world) at the time.
4. SE cannot delay the game anymore. They took the hard decision to ship it at whatever cause.
5. SE knows players around the world will notice the discrepancies.
6. SE told all the staff to be quiet about this.
7. and said "we're going to release it on other platform eventually, so we can fix it at that time"
8. The end.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
There are some parts of the first two hours of The Last of Us where it looks like a mid-gen, mid-burget 3rd party game, and then at some point it just clicks and becomes the best looking game of the generation for 10 hours straight.

/Thread
The early training section and the collapsed building part look really mediocre. Nothing really looks right: textures are bad and the general art isn't interesting at all and then somehow like a butterfly emerging from a cocoon it becomes one of the best looking games of the generation.