• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
zaxil456

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Uncharted 2 is definitely up there for me. I just thought some of the Tibet sections dragged on a bit. Otherwise, near perfect pacing.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Im geniunely surprised people are saying TLOU2. Loved the game but the pacing was not its strong suit and I feel like that was always going to be the case because of how they chose to tell the 2nd half of the story.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, it would go:
1) The Last of Us
2) Uncharted 2
3) Resident Evil 4
4) Psychonauts 2 (recent example)

The Last of Us 2 had horrendous pacing IMO.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Halo 3 and Cod 2 are the perfect FPS examples of just non stop action, with set pieces that always offer something unique.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
Im geniunely surprised people are saying TLOU2. Loved the game but the pacing was not its strong suit and I feel like that was always going to be the case because of how they chose to tell the 2nd half of the story.
Going to have to agree. Those flashback segments prevent me from playing the game multiple of times.

Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Resident Evil 3 remake.
I never played the original so I can't talk about the cut content, but I felt the game always had something to do. It never felt boring.

Last edited:

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Right. It's intentionally done to serve the story but the gameplay pacing slams into a brick wall due to it.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Gonna give a shoutout to the original FFVII's 1st CD. It mixes exploration, combat, mini games and story so seamlessly. You never get time to get tired of any single component before it switches up. It's a bit downhill in terms of pacing after CD1 though.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dog's best paced game, and likely best game overall for that matter. Games like Portal 2 and INSIDE were incredibly well paced, It Takes Two is another good one from this year.

To each their own, I think TLoU2 has some major pacing issues.

TLOU1 pacing is good though

Tlou2 might be one of if not the worst paced AAA game in recent memory, it's a 25-30 hour locked linear game that feels like a 100 hour game, filled with cutscenes and "walking simulator" sections in place of even more cutscenes. I don't know in what world is that game well paced much less has "best pacing".

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock Infinite runs at a good 10-12 hours and each area doesn't outstay its welcome, with enough story beats to keep things going quickly.

Psychonauts 2 was too long a game for me, at least it felt long.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
The first Trails in the Sky. Stellar pacing for a JRPG

All of the other ones have garbage pacing, tho

Kaydigi

Apr 25, 2019
Contra NES, not to many games past the 8bit era that have flawless pacing. Transformers War for Cybertron 1 is the closet thing I can think of.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Recently I would say Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, pure fun and besides one level that irked me a bit pacing wise everything else was smooth sailing.

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Its easily RE4 the goat of pacing. TLOU2 pacing is horrible, and I have no idea how it made it in this thread lol.

GundamStyle

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
MGSV Ground Zeros is a great short game, I played through it so often.
Metroid Prime 2 I always adored going through that adventure.
Can confirm uncharted 2 ruled in this regard, and TLOU 2 was horrendous.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Uncharted is a good one for me. And last of of us 1/2 never felt like there was a dull moment. It was pretty breakneck

In uncharted's case it's sometimes at the expense of mechanic depth, puzzle complexity or exploration...platforming for instance is simple by design so that it doesn't stop the pacing in its tracks...but I don't mind that since it serves the pacing so well. They're just rollercoasters start to end.

No-one wants to watch an Indiana Jones movie where he gets lost on the jungle. Keeps failing a jump repeatedly and then spends 2 hours trying to figure out a puzzle to access treasure...similarly, i don't want that in uncharted either. I'm just along for the ride.

BlueBrand

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger and Half-Life:Alyx are two games where I always think there is going to be some part coming up for me to put the game down, but then it's onto the next area and I am kept engaged. It's incredible how well paced these two games are, I am always playing these games for longer then I expect.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Zone of the enders 2 was really well paced. Game wasn't long so that worked to its advantage. There might be a few stages that are not guaranteed crowd pleasers, but the game was extremely replayable as the story beats and gameplay upgrades were well spread out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Metroid Zero Mission. You could argue that the Zero Suit part messes with the pacing, but everything else has such perfect pacing.

Good pick. The part where you (permanently) recruit Frog and then have to backtrack to the End of Time so he can learn magic might be the one weird spot where the pacing feels off, but overall, it's great.
While I agree the magic/techs are where the games pacing is the worst, I'd like to suggest a different stretch of the game where it's a problem. The big issue is 2300AD your first time through. Most players will likely have already unlocked, or will quickly unlock, Crono, Marle, and Lucca's second techs. This leads to a fairly sizable stretch of the game where combat stays fairly stagnant until you get Robo, and you can't learn triple techs or even a duel tech for Marle and Lucca until after you obtain magic. If really feels like magic should have Crono, Marle, and Lucca's 4th tech so that the player could unlock one more tech during the 2300ad stretch of the game.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
Chrono Trigger is damn near perfect. You're moving to another story beat or location roughly every 30 - 45 minutes.

Metroid Dread also surprised me in this regard. Felt like I was constantly moving forward and the length was just right.

Yup, Metroid Dread was *so* close to it but ruined pacing with the EMMI encounters. I still can't believe they thought those were a good idea. Laser sponge, trial and error, gimmicky encounters, just awful in breaking the excellent pacing otherwise.

2CL4Mars

Nov 9, 2018
My big take away from this thread and especially from my own experience is that there is no game that is perfectly paced and EVERY game has it spots that you want to skip.

Rikster

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Jun 24, 2018
California
Recent game for me was Metroid Dread. But easy answers for me that stick out are RE4 and Uncharted 2.