• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
In general I find HDR a little overblown personally. It makes the sky in games like Gears 4 and FH4 look great, it really stands out but even in SDR it still looks really damn good too. Shadow of the Tomb Raider can look great in the jungles but in caves, crypts and tombs I prefer the look of SDR. It's a mixed bag in my opinion and not as consistent as I would hope.

Hope it looks great in RDR2. Rockstar's first HDR implementation.
Have you tried the Sony games? Aside from God of War, they're all so good in HDR.

I agree that overall it's a mixed bag. I thought AC Origins looked pretty great with HDR but now people are saying Odyssey isn't? So weird.

Nov 14, 2017
Like an updated version? Cause at least on consoles the HDR mode has been there since day 1.

--------------

As for the thread, at least from my experience the only really bad one was Destiny 2 and not in that it made the game look bad but it's the only HDR I've seen that actively made the gameplay feel worse. Some reason it felt like it added a lot of input lag. Other HDR games didn't do this. Maybe it's my TV but I feel like other games would have the same problem as well.

Destiny 2. The dark areas in the game just go to a pitch black - which sucks because often you have to navigate and platform through these areas in the new Forsaken expansion.

Destiny has always had dodgy HDR on console. When they patched it in it didn't have any sliders to calibrate it, so it was totally off. At some point during the last year they added black and white level sliders, which made it pretty good. I looked OK during Warmind. With Forsaken they've messed up the HDR again so now, for example, all the blacks are totally crushed on caves in Io.

Have you tried the Sony games? Aside from God of War, they're all so good in HDR.

I agree that overall it's a mixed bag. I thought AC Origins looked pretty great with HDR but now people are saying Odyssey isn't? So weird.

What's up with GoW in HDR? I'm playing through it now and think it looks pretty good. The tone mapping makes all the colours look very natural, which is the main thing I appreciate about good HDR.

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
I find that HDR on Uncharted 4 and Lost Legacy makes colors more natural but it's a little washed out in my eyes.

GT Sport is great in general but in daytime races sometimes are a little bright.

God of War and Spiderman are fantastic for me at least. Colors look perfect.

Tested on a X900E Sony 55".

Last edited:

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the people in this thread don't have their sets calibrated HDR properly. Once it's done it's a game changer

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Most of the people in this thread don't have their sets calibrated HDR properly. Once it's done it's a game changer

Is not all about calibration.. some games have a better implementation than others. That's the reason why Spiderman and God of War look excellent for me but other games just don't with the same settings.

DreadfulOmen

Feb 6, 2018
Would definitely be interested.

For me, Nessus and Io look particularly like a blotchy mess, and I feel like I have to choose between being able to see in pitch-black caves or being able to see my HUD or enemies against the white sky.

I gave up on destiny awhile ago, but when you're in those caves, are there any external light sources in there?

Rokal

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the HDR in Horizon: Zero Dawn made the night time sections unplayably dark on an OLED screen. Which felt accurate to real life, at least. The daytime HDR looked beautiful though.

I've heard MHW mentioned a few times here but I thought the HDR effect looked great compared to the non-HDR visuals. I played across two TVs regularly and could always tell when I was playing on the TV with HDR.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The game doesn't control the exposure correctly and illuminates many of the daylight scenes above and beyond a normal SDR grade. When you move to other areas of the game it doesn't have this same issue , but it's an issue non the less.
Thanks.

Some posts here are really embarrassing.
"It's your TV"
"It's your settings"
"You are wrong and its not a opinion its a fact."

This is not the first TV I own and this is not the only board I'm registered to (avforums, avsforum, hifi-forum etc) I know how settings work, thank you very much.

God of War has nice graphics and all, but from the few games with HDR I played (RE7, UC4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and tons of HDR movies I watched, it is the most unnatural looking and straining on the eyes, with the extreme contrasts in the daylight scenes.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the thread titles description, but I didn't find it good either.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
Black Ops IIII looks really good with HDR on an Xbox One X.

Worse implementation is Ark also on Xbox One X.
Looks horrible, and was acknowledged to be broken by the team....nearly a year ago. They even suggest to turn it on in game, then once the TV changes, turn it off in the game to habe some better colors than original.

Oct 26, 2017

I don't have a PS4 but when I borrowed my brother's Pro and played Uncharted 4 on it, on my OLED which I then had it looked great. Although I'm not even sure U4 has HDR?

Elysiums

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
Thanks.

Some posts here are really embarrassing.
"It's your TV"
"It's your settings"
"You are wrong and its not a opinion its a fact."

This is not the first TV I own and this is not the only board I'm registered to (avforums, avsforum, hifi-forum etc) I know how settings work, thank you very much.

God of War has nice graphics and all, but from the few games with HDR I played (RE7, UC4, Shadow of the Tomb Raider) and tons of HDR movies I watched, it is the most unnatural looking and straining on the eyes, with the extreme contrasts in the daylight scenes.

Perhaps it doesn't fit the thread titles description, but I didn't find it good either.

My God of War looks amazing with HDR.. so you do check your settings.. tv.. etc.

It's a different case if you compare it to Uncharted 4 for example.. in that game I find the colors more real but a little washed out in some scenes.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny 2. The dark areas in the game just go to a pitch black - which sucks because often you have to navigate and platform through these areas in the new Forsaken expansion.
I'd have to disagree.

Destiny 2 would be one of those games where I think HDR has a poor implementation. So bad that I have to turn the in-game brightness down to 1 to get it half-way to where I think it should be. Gran Turismo 5 has no HDR yet pitch black is actually pitch black.

So yeah, Destiny 2 get's my vote.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
My God of War looks amazing with HDR.. so you do check your settings.. tv.. etc.

It's a different case if you compare it to Uncharted 4 for example.. in that game I find the colors more real but a little washed out in some scenes.
Thanks, but my C7 set is properly calibrated, I played around with the ingame HDR settings though.

It is my opinion that GoWs HDR implementation has problems in a lot of situations and HDR guru EvilBoris explained why that is the case.
There is really nothing more to say here.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Isn't this the point of hdr though? Destiny 2 hdr is great imo.

I'd have to disagree.

Destiny 2 would be one of those games where I think HDR has a poor implementation. So bad that I have to turn the in-game brightness down to 1 to get it half-way to where I think it should be. Gran Turismo 5 has no HDR yet pitch black is actually pitch black.

So yeah, Destiny 2 get's my vote.

I don't know if its a setting at my end or just the game itself, but based on what i've experienced and from what i read from other posters here about this game there are issues in the dark areas of the game.

Some locales/environments look great, but the dark areas really dont work.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Thanks, but my C7 set is properly calibrated, I played around with the ingame HDR settings though.

It is my opinion that GoWs HDR implementation has problems in a lot of situations and HDR guru EvilBoris explained why that is the case.
There is really nothing more to say here.

I suspect the B/C6 users probably get a better deal here as their displays are not as bright as the data the game is asking for and they demand 4000nit data at all times, which the game offers by default.

The patch that the C7 has changed this 4000nkt requirement didn't it?

The point about calibration (certainly for luminance) becomes somewhat void for HDR will many of the LG sets as they have undefeatable (and with good reason) global and local contrast enhancement and tone mapping.

Byron Hinson

Nov 14, 2017
UK
I suspect the B/C6 users probably get a better deal here as their displays are not as bright as the data the game is asking for and they demand 4000nit data at all times, which the game offers by default.

The point about calibration (certainly for luminance) becomes somewhat void for HDR will many of the LG sets as they have undefeatable (and with good reason) global and local contrast enhancement and tone mapping.
Yeah still find the HDR in gaming on 7 series sucks most of the time. I tend to use the cinema home mode without real cinema enabled to brighten things more thanks to active HDR

Oct 31, 2017
As for the thread, at least from my experience the only really bad one was Destiny 2 and not in that it made the game look bad but it's the only HDR I've seen that actively made the gameplay feel worse. Some reason it felt like it added a lot of input lag.
Was this on console or PC? I've been playing it on PC at 4K HDR and it looks and controls gloriously.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany

I don't really understand your post.
AFAIK the 7series has peak brightness of 1000nits and every signal above it gets downconverted by the scaler (like many HDR movies go up to 10000nits).

What is different with the 6 series?

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't really understand your post.
AFAIK the 7series has peak brightness of 1000nits and every signal above it gets downconverted by the scaler (like many HDR movies go up to 10000nits).

What is different with the 6 series?

I mean they get a better deal for god of war, which is fixed at 4000nits and the game is categorically too bright, but the 16sets are no way near bright enough to do what it is asking.

C7 has a peak brightness on a 10% window of 700ish nits.

By the time 50% of the screen is requesting HDR code values, the display is only able to supply 290nits to it.
So the display has to constantly make decisions about what the relative brightness on screen is to the pixels distributed. So if the skybox is asking for 1000nits and the display isn't showing this at its maximum capability of 290nits, then an explosion happens on the lower half of the screen requesting 4000nits, the display would have to drop back the skybox brightness so 150nits for example, increase contrast as then display said explosion at 300nits.

However it can't do this on a frame by frame basis, so what the displays typically do is to dial back the overall brightness across the board, so when incoming high code value brightness data is supplied, there is enough juice left to deliver an increase.

The problem with video games is that they do not supply metadata which tells the display what content they are going to expect, the 16 series sets are not as bright to begin with and they will hold back more because they treat all videogames with no metadata as content that might achieve 4000nits.

The newer models had patches for game mode that lowered this threshold.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
While hdr on assassins creed is great all devs need to stop putting white loading screens in hdr games. It's an eye killer when you've got a decent hdr tv and they flash a white loading screen at you, come on guys.

Haha yeah, the one in AC Odyssey is 10k data as well! So it will max out your display.
I'm starting to pay closer attention to HUDs in games, so I can give warnings if a game has potentially burney data values.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
While hdr on assassins creed is great all devs need to stop putting white loading screens in hdr games. It's an eye killer when you've got a decent hdr tv and they flash a white loading screen at you, come on guys.

Also agreed. I sit pretty close to a 50" HDR screen and any big white screens positively blind me when they come out of nowhere. More black loading screens please!

Deleted member 47092

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I've not played a huge amount of games that use HDR but Monster Hunter World was by far the worst implementation I had seen. Just blanched the whole picture.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I mean they get a better deal for god of war, which is fixed at 4000nits and the game is categorically too bright, but the 16sets are no way near bright enough to do what it is asking.

C7 has a peak brightness on a 10% window of 700ish nits.

By the time 50% of the screen is requesting HDR code values, the display is only able to supply 290nits to it.
So the display has to constantly make decisions about what the relative brightness on screen is to the pixels distributed. So if the skybox is asking for 1000nits and the display isn't showing this at its maximum capability of 290nits, then an explosion happens on the lower half of the screen requesting 4000nits, the display would have to drop back the skybox brightness so 150nits for example, increase contrast as then display said explosion at 300nits.

However it can't do this on a frame by frame basis, so what the displays typically do is to dial back the overall brightness across the board, so when incoming high code value brightness data is supplied, there is enough juice left to deliver an increase.

The problem with video games is that they do not supply metadata which tells the display what content they are going to expect, the 16 series sets are not as bright to begin with and they will hold back more because they treat all videogames with no metadata as content that might achieve 4000nits.

The newer models had patches for game mode that lowered this threshold.
Thanks, very interesting like always.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
I had to turn off my HDR because of Destiny 2, most of the end game content are in dark places with a lot of plataforming, and i can't see shit because of the HDR, It's really a bummer, because on open illuminated areas, it really looks beautifull.

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Destiny 2 is a mixed bag. Some areas look amazing while others are awful.

For me, locations on Io are all fucked up. Whatever post-lighting effect Bungie is using creates this crushed purple Haze in dark areas. I can't see shit.

I can't go back to SDR because the entire game just looks so washed out.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Destiny 2 is a mixed bag. Some areas look amazing while others are awful.

For me, locations on Io are all fucked up. Whatever post-lighting effect Bungie is using creates this crushed purple Haze in dark areas. I can't see shit.

I can't go back to SDR because the entire game just looks so washed out.

Try messing with the black slider in settings. Ignore what the game tells you about making the icon barely visible blah blah. Just play with some different slider positions in the right half of the bar until it looks right.

I did this last night on Io in Xur's cave and was shocked at the difference.

BTW my white level is all the way down and bringing it up at all looks really bad for some reason. YMMV

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Try messing with the black slider in settings. Ignore what the game tells you about making the icon barely visible blah blah. Just play with some different slider positions in the right half of the bar until it looks right.

I did this last night on Io in Xur's cave and was shocked at the difference.

BTW my white level is all the way down and bringing it up at all looks really bad for some reason. YMMV

With the white bar, the left most value is maximum, whereas it is the other way round on the black bar.

With Destiny one of the things you do have to appreciate is that Bungie deliberately crush blacks on occasions in order to let enemies that can emerge out of nothing, the sunless cell strike is a good example of this.
You do also see it in cave areas in the game where the caves are almost pitch black and they use patches of light to guide the player out.

Last edited:

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Nier Automata, the HDR washes the game out extremely and I have to turn HDR off on my Xbox every time I want to play. It was never patched.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
i haven't played too many games in hdr, but god of war is the worst i've seen

It definately improves as you play through the game (or maybe they patched it in one of the 15-odd patches it had over the launch period)

Overall it's quite a complex matter, you have 2 or 3 different tone mappers that need to be written and they themselves need to be extensively tested on standardised HDR displays.
Not only do you need the hardware, but you also need the internal expertise from a programming side and an artist side.
It wasn't so bad when you were just dealing with 8bit SDR gamma space LCD displays.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Okay so I took a look @ my in game HDR settings for Destiny 2 on PS4. To get this looking closer to the way it should, you need to adjust the HDR white point slider to the halfway point. I set my black point to about the same for a solid picture on my LG OLED B7 display. Again you need to sort of ignore trying to make the 3 images look the way they are supposed to or your game will look like junk in HDR. Hopefully this helps some of you. Cheers.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
ReCore: over contrasted and ugly

Hitman: super dim and washed out even on max HDR Luminance

Destiny 2: confusing in-game HDR calibrator, it's impossible to set it right and curshes blacks all the time

My personal Top 3 HDR implementations on my B7 are instead:

1. Forza Horizon 4
2. AC: Origins / Odyssey
3. Halo: MCC

They totally melt my eyeballs, and all have very effective in-game HDR Calibrators.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
I think God of War looks fantastic for the most part, but as pointed out by people elsewhere here on era, it suffers from a good amount of clipping highlights and there's little you can do with the options available in game to combat that. Brightness slider doesn't help you recover that detail, even if you set it to 0. Things can still look blown out depending on how your set handles tonemapping.
Other than that and something like The Witcher 3, I can't think of any game that I've played that looks better in SDR.

WorldHero

Oct 27, 2017
Since I've been gaming on a Samsung KS8000 with both a Pro and X since their launches I can definitely say that HDR, at least on my TV, is a pretty finicky implementation that requires a lot of toggling and tweaking on a game by game basis. Some games are simply too dark by default on my set and require the use of Dynamic Contrast which can oversaturate some colors, where other games are beautiful without using it.

Dynamic Contrast off:
Gears 4
God of War
Halo MCC
Spiderman

Dynamic Contrast needed:
Battlefield 1
Sea of Thieves
Madden 18
NBA 2K19
Forza Horizon 4

I think with so many diverse sets with different nits developers need to use a robust HDR toggle. I personally think Halo MCC and God War do the best job with this.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
I have a Samsung MU8500 and a PS4 Pro, my tv is quite well calibrated and to be sincere HDR is not that noticeable unless I start to turn in on and off compulsively in games to see the difference.

Best implementation of HDR I've seen are the new Shadow of the Colossus, Horizon and AC Origins, colors and illumination looks great, Horizon without HDR looks like a cloudy game.

God of War has a good implementation too, colors look way more vibrant.

In Uncharted 4 it's barely noticeable.

In AC Odyssey it looks good at day and awfully washed out at night.

In Spiderman it makes the game look warmer, the illumination gives the game a red-ish look instead of a fake yellow one, I don't know how to explain it better.

That has been my experience with HDR so far.