• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SublimeAnarky

Oct 27, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark
Hmmm, Sea of Thieves was the first game I played on my new 4K set where I just thought 'wow'. I think it looks amazing in HDR. All the little lanterns/lights, the reflections from the sun and sunsets twinkling off of the ocean. The colours look gorgeous in it I think. I didn't have any brightness issues on my set.

I can second Sea of Thieves looking amazing in hdr. One of my first hdr experiences and to date one of the best i've had.

GazzaGSi

Oct 28, 2017
Derby, UK
Destiny 2 was alright afew months ago, HDR was great but in patch it really messed things up. Hopefully they can get it back to what it was.

foxdvd

Oct 30, 2017
Earthfall. It makes an already below average looking game look like the screen is covered in vaseline.

Oct 27, 2017
It's Recore, far away worst I've ever seen. I imagine the game not being that popular has lead to it not being mentioned that much. But, if you've played post HDR update, it's dreadful.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
Destiny 2's in game slider adjustment for HDR are all screwed up. I was able to get things looking pretty good by basically ignoring the on screen slider advice. I had to lower one of them way down. I think it was the white but I need to check. I'll update later if anyone is interested.

Would definitely be interested.

For me, Nessus and Io look particularly like a blotchy mess, and I feel like I have to choose between being able to see in pitch-black caves or being able to see my HUD or enemies against the white sky.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People should list what sets they have and if they have been calibrated to as close to 6500K as possible.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
That Zoo Tycoon game that has X support (it's on game pass) has garbage HDR support. No settings to adjust, barely anything above 100 nits other than the sky, which you almost never see.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
For some reason the HDR in Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't look all that impressive.

My tv doesn't have the greatest HDR due to low peak nitz but it's still looked pretty great with Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War though.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
My list

Nier
Monster Hunter World
Sniper Ghost Elite
Recore
sniper 3 ghost warrior
-All pretty terrible

God of War
Call of Duty Black Ops 4
Forza Horizon 3
The Witcher 3

all needed a bit more work

danlher

Nov 1, 2017
The worst I've seen is ReCore, no doubt. Game looks awful.

The most meh I've seen is Nier: Automata on the X. The game itself looks fine, but HDR adds absolutely nothing to the experience.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
For some reason the HDR in Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't look all that impressive.

My tv doesn't have the greatest HDR due to low peak nitz but it's still looked pretty great with Horizon, Spider-Man and God of War though.

Same thing happened for me, the HDR has looked fantastic in every other game - Forza Horizon 4, Spider Man, GoW, BLOPS 4, etc but Shadow of the Tomb Raider looked way too dark and murky. I saw some HDR light map analysis of the game and it looked fine in terms of light sources and stuff but for some reason on my LG OLED TV the game just felt too dark in too many spots.

I wonder if games that go for a night/dark setting just don't work well on the LG OLED, because all the "bright" games worked beautifully. Might be a TV setting thing too, I think I tuned it right for movies/games but who knows.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My list

Nier
Monster Hunter World
Sniper Ghost Elite
Recore
sniper 3 ghost warrior
-All pretty terrible

God of War
Call of Duty Black Ops 4
Forza Horizon 3
The Witcher 3

Ever check out Deus Ex? Game seemed off the one time I looked at it, although that was on a lesser set than what I have now.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My list

Nier
Monster Hunter World
Sniper Ghost Elite
Recore
sniper 3 ghost warrior
-All pretty terrible

God of War
Call of Duty Black Ops 4
Forza Horizon 3
The Witcher 3

I don't think Witcher 3 does HDR at all. Does it?

God of War's is amazing the vast majority of the time, but the game crushes blacks pretty bad.

Glad everyone loved Spider-Man. That was my first experience with HDR, and it was eye-opening.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Not to be an ass but I bet plenty of people on this thread are using mediocre HDR TVs. Some of the examples given in here are legit bad (Nier Automata) while others actually have great HDR implementation. If you have one of those $400 budget TVs, every HDR game is gonna look bad for you.

In Theory it shouldn't look any worse than the SDR does, possiby even slightly better as you aren't limited to limited RGB ranges and may still be able to create a little be of an "Extended Dynamic Range" than a non-HDR display would.

Even people with fantastic TVs have problems for various different reasons.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think Witcher 3 does HDR at all. Does it?

God of War's is amazing the vast majority of the time, but the game crushes blacks pretty bad.
Glad everyone loved Spider-Man. That was my first experience with HDR, and it was eye-opening.

Spiderman looks amzing, but it has a very restrained HDR output. I need to do some more research into that one , as there is still a little bit more to the story I think.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Destiny 2's in game slider adjustment for HDR are all screwed up. I was able to get things looking pretty good by basically ignoring the on screen slider advice. I had to lower one of them way down. I think it was the white but I need to check. I'll update later if anyone is interested.

The shadow end curves adjustment that the game asks you to adjust is totally broken. Any lower than halfway down moves the blackpoint to the point where it's removing data altogether.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of washed out images: Check your TV model and see if it has something called 'Local Dimming' or 'Local Contrast'

It is setting that will enable your sets backlight to darken or brighten areas of the screen, according to how many zones it can adjust.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/local-dimming

It is such an amazing upgrade, coming from a TV without the feature. Dark scenes in anything are completely transformed in a way that you will need to see to believe. Absolutely essential for HDR!

Edit: You can even see a big difference in this off screen video I recorded

Even better looking in person!

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised at folks saying Forza Horizon 3. It's one of the best looking HDR games I've seen. I have a hard time playing it on my non-HDR TVs now.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
interesting, Destiny 2 has looked great for me on my HDR Monitor but maybe it's because my monitor is like barely bright enough to hit the HDR classification? I had a hell of a time with God of War, in some places it would look great but in others it would either be blown out or way too dark. almost like i'd need to reset the HDR setting for different locations in the game.

ZoSo006

Oct 25, 2017
Winnipeg
Same thing happened for me, the HDR has looked fantastic in every other game - Forza Horizon 4, Spider Man, GoW, BLOPS 4, etc but Shadow of the Tomb Raider looked way too dark and murky. I saw some HDR light map analysis of the game and it looked fine in terms of light sources and stuff but for some reason on my LG OLED TV the game just felt too dark in too many spots.

I wonder if games that go for a night/dark setting just don't work well on the LG OLED, because all the "bright" games worked beautifully. Might be a TV setting thing too, I think I tuned it right for movies/games but who knows.
I'm actually pretty surprised that it doesn't look good on a OLED, my tv's a piece of shit in comparison (Sony x800d) so that makes sense but I've only heard nothing but good things with OLED & HDR.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing games with legit great HDR being mentioned here (Sea of Thieves, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Gran Turismo) makes me think some people just don't like how HDR looks.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
Horizon 4 looks great on a pc.
You have to change nvidia settings to 10bit 442 and enable it manually in windows, but it looks awesome.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
Injustice 2.
It straight up ruins the colors on some characters. You can see Black Manta's eyes go from red to a light cream color when the model loads from the placeholder on the select screen. It washes everything out as well. Turn HDR off in this one.
Ok, that's not just me then. I thought my TV was either busted or I had really bad HDR settings. All the glow effects on every character go from a nice rich color to a super bright/washed out version of that color. I also get some bad banding/crush on explosion effects during the post game animation sequence for characters like Harley.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
The shadow end curves adjustment that the game asks you to adjust is totally broken. Any lower than halfway down moves the blackpoint to the point where it's removing data altogether.

Now that you mention it I think it is right at the halfway point that it looks the way it should mostly. A lot of people don't seem realize that you have to ignore the slider/image to actually make it look the way it should though. I'm surprised the developers haven't patched it at the very least so it behaves how it should.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Would definitely be interested.

For me, Nessus and Io look particularly like a blotchy mess, and I feel like I have to choose between being able to see in pitch-black caves or being able to see my HUD or enemies against the white sky.

There are a few caves and missions where something has gone a bit wrong. It's almost like they use a negative light to remove light from an area and it doesn't behave correctly in the HDR version of the game .You can't change that from the sliders unfortunately

It's a good example of how game art does need to be built for an HDR output and it might explain why it took several months for the HDR update to come if there were various assets that needed to be updated.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised to see many mentions of Witcher 3. Since the update for X I haven't played it much but in which ways does it look worse compared to SDR?

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I'm surprised to see many mentions of Witcher 3. Since the update for X I haven't played it much but in which ways does it look worse compared to SDR?

It doesn't look worse it just doesn't add anything better to the overall presentation. If the HDR patch eliminated the piss filter in Blood & Wine then I'd say it's a really good implementation.

Its your TV, and no that's not my opinion. Its fact

Truthfacts.

Oct 26, 2017
In general I find HDR a little overblown personally. It makes the sky in games like Gears 4 and FH4 look great, it really stands out but even in SDR it still looks really damn good too. Shadow of the Tomb Raider can look great in the jungles but in caves, crypts and tombs I prefer the look of SDR. It's a mixed bag in my opinion and not as consistent as I would hope.

Hope it looks great in RDR2. Rockstar's first HDR implementation.

EvilBoris

Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Its your TV, and no that's not my opinion. Its fact

Edit: I'm not saying your tv is bad, I'm saying it's most likely the settings

The game doesn't control the exposure correctly and illuminates many of the daylight scenes above and beyond a normal SDR grade. When you move to other areas of the game it doesn't have this same issue , but it's an issue non the less.

Fid

Jun 5, 2018
Detroit
I came home and brought Destiny's black level slider from towards the bottom to around the middle.

Holy shit, night and day. Thanks guys