• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
The two Zelda games on Nintendo DS. There's just no reason to force the player to use the touchscreen for the whole game. Turd I haven't played since.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I could never get into the PSP MonHun games because of those controls.

i can't believe i got so far, & had so much fun with the first one, without ever using the claw hold. how'd i do it?...

Heavy rain. There was no reason to have that bizarre control scheme. You can't enjoy a game when you're fighting against the controls...

i felt that the dumb controls complimented the dumb story perfectly. actually enjoyed it all...

score01

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian.

I finished the game but was constantly fighting years or built up muscle memory. Forgot trying to get Trico to do what you want but who the heck thought it would be a good idea to make triangle the jump button?

Catalix

Oct 28, 2017
There were always a few things holding back LittleBigPlanet from true greatness, at least as a top tier platformer:

- floaty imprecise physics
- separate foreground layers that you had to awkwardly switch between, both manually and automatically
- can't control sackboy with d-pad
- the square button being used just to access your menu, instead of main character actions like power-ups
- limited default moveset

I just think those early design decisions crippled the main series' potential from the get go.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Hey we all forgot about the original Scribblenauts, no topic on terrible controls should ever be considered complete without a mention of that.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I was a big fan of Gothic II so I gave Gothic 1 a shot.

Oooooh boy it's a rough one, even for early 2000's keyboard controls. Needless to say I'm looking forward to that remake.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Tbh I think the movement in SM64 is unplayable

It just doesn't feel fluid to me at all. He moves really stiffly, when on the ground and especially in the air

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia
My first pick goes to Metroid Prime 3. Totally ignored the concept of left handed users and really should have just shipped with gamecube style controls as an option.

Kid Icarus Uprising.
Totally ruined my enjoyment of the game. A damn shame, because the game itself was awesome.

This. Absolutely unplayable as a left-handed user. Both KIU and MP3 suffer because the fundamental difference between left and right handed players is that right-handed players can separate writing and analog inputs while many left handed players cannot (or at least, cannot easily).

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
iu

Deleted member 14568

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
metroid other m not only the game suck but the control is just awful i'm not sure what sakamoto was thinking with that one

I cannot stand the movement in Super Metroid.

Everything about it: the floaty jumps, the left-right movement, the run button. It all felt bad to me and I dread facing the controls every time I play it.

The GBA Metroids on the other hand are king despite having fewer buttons to work with. I don't know how this is possible, but it is.
It won't (completely) fix the clunky movement, but nowadays there's the Control Freak hack to deal with the layout issues.
there's also redux which does the same thing + way more
www.romhacking.net

Super Metroid Redux

[b]Super Metroid Redux[/b] is an improvement hack for Super Metroid, and a continuation of [url=http

pillowtalk

Oct 10, 2018
Monster Hunter 1 used the ps2's right analog for attacks and directional buttons to spin the camera around. That camera control scheme probably made them think that it's ok to have the same thing on the psp versions, not that they really had any choice.

Bjomesphat

Nov 5, 2017
Sonic and the Secret Rings: the thread.

Man I loved this game, and the controls are really good if you stick with it. There's two problems though and it becomes kind of a paradox:

The first problem is they tied movement speed and motion control responsiveness to in-game upgrades. So the game is purposely sluggish and unresponsive when you first play. The second problem is, it's literally impossible to play the fully upgraded Sonic with motion controls unless you've stuck with the whole game while going through each incremental upgrade. Basically, in order to have fun with the game and use the good controls, you have to play for hours to slowly and gradually acclimate yourself to the sensitivity of the motion controls. I guess the third problem is they didn't really design the levels with this in mind, so the early levels are frustrating because the controls are slow.

With that said, if you play the game from start to finish while gradually increasing the sensitivity with each upgrade, the game is actually really fun and feels like a motion controlled racing game.