• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The mainline Dragon Quest games, full stop.

Most of them have subtitles, but I couldn't tell you what the majority of them are offhand. I even had to look up the subtitle for Dragon Quest V, one of my most favorite entries (it's "Hand of the Heavenly Bride"), and I had to double-check others that I thought I knew but was off by a little bit.

Practically everyone just calls them Dragon Quest [number], and that's it.
On that note, the same applies for Dragon Quest Heroes. Nobody refers to it as "Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below" (even though that is a totally badass title)

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
dragon quest have a bunch of subtitles i never see anyone ever using
"so id like to play a new jrpg"
"have you tried DRAGON QUEST ELEVEN ECHOES OF AN ELUSIVE TIME TM on gp yet?"

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I call it Sons of Liberty a lot, same with Snake Eater. Never Guns of the Patriots tho, not sure why

Anyway 'Dante's Awakening' isn't something I've heard people say since that game originally came out. I guess 'Resident Evil 3: Last Escape' is another one, except I think only the title screen says 'Last Escape'

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
SMT: Lucifer's Call will always be just Lucifer's Call for me.
Apart from that all the DQ and Star Ocean games. Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria as well I guess.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
I don't think I've ever once heard "Shenmue" with the "Chapter 1: Yokosuka" subtitle.

I think that got dropped after the Japanese release. The Chapter numbering scheme would be a nightmare for future entries.

Shenmue II would be "Shenmue: Chapter 2: Hong Kong (and also a bit of Chapter 5: Guilin)" if you were to go by the 11-chapter numbering scheme. Or Chapters 3-6 if you were to go by the 16-chapter numbering scheme.

Dec 10, 2020
Warsaw
Subtitles are mostly useful if there are sequels without numbers - this way subtitle serves to distinguish one part in the series from another. In other cases, they are just an addition and it's understandable people don't use them in common discussions.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Horizon (its sequel too most likely) and Sekiro come to mind.

What?

I dont think ive ever even heard someone refer to Horizon: Zero Dawn as anything other than HZD or by its full title.
Do people actually just say Horizon?

HZD is so deep I know more people who dont even realize Zero Dawn is a subtitle than people who would just say Horizon.
Hell people are calling Horizon: Forbidden West, Horizon Zero Dawn 2: Forbidden West.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
1576442439-animal-crossing-australia-gamecube_1485461152.jpg

Most ignored the Population Growing in the title art for years but in the past few years I've seen it referred to as PG or AC:PG in AC discussion boards/discords more.

I hate it. It's just AC or ACGC or equivalents to me. Heck, even Wild World is ACDS to me still.

on second thought, maybe the PG moniker is important as modding/translation groups have put in more effort to have DnM, AF, and DnMe+ be a thing, so distinguishing which may matter more now than a decade ago.

The people who say that are wrong. The game is officially titled Animal Crossing. The "population growing" thing is a bit of graphic design to have the title as a part of a sign that you'd see when entering a town. By their logic, the games title should include "Welcome to"

Rainy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the Yakuza thing...is hit or miss. I feel like plenty of people new to the series call it LAD, and there are a lot for this entry!

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
2A9D4WM5EEC01472165783051.jpg

Yup, noone calls Warcraft 3 "Reign of Chaos" - unless you wanna specifically make it clear you're talking about the version without the expansion pack ("The Frozen Throne")

Does anyone really defer to the first "Jedi Knight" game as "Dark Forces 2"? - which isn't a subtitle per se, ofc.
JediKnight-cover.jpg
What is the sequels actual name?

Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast?

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Yakuza 7, no one calls it Like a Dragon.

SMT: Lucifer's Call is never used except for memes.
Wait, is Yakuza 7 actually Like a Dragon? I legit had no idea. And to be fair, lots of people say things like, "playing Like a Dragon." Or at least in one thread specifically there were lots of mentions of it.

How would anyone know this is Yakuza 7?

Yakuza_like_a_dragon_cover_art.jpg

Quinho

Dec 25, 2017
Superman: The New Superman Adventures had the whole subtitle changed to just 64.

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
1576442439-animal-crossing-australia-gamecube_1485461152.jpg

Most ignored the Population Growing in the title art for years but in the past few years I've seen it referred to as PG or AC:PG in AC discussion boards/discords more.

I hate it. It's just AC or ACGC or equivalents to me. Heck, even Wild World is ACDS to me still.

on second thought, maybe the PG moniker is important as modding/translation groups have put in more effort to have DnM, AF, and DnMe+ be a thing, so distinguishing which may matter more now than a decade ago.

Excuse me heathen the full title is Welcome to Animal Crossing: Population Growing - Memory Card 59 Included

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Yu-no (A Girl Who Chants Love At The Bound Of This World).
912LsGsdY0L._SL1500_.jpg

Most people I know just call it Star Ocean 5.

Tbh most just want to forget it exists
Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
DRAGON QUEST® XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition
I say all these long ones whenever I get the chance because I enjoy being pedantic and they're fun to say. Tend not to on Era though for ease of communication.
People SHOULD be saying the full Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below, because there is no title more enjoyable to say outloud, even in your brain
Exactly!
Bit.Trip Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien

Then the sequel's just Runner3 cuz they knew
If you've played the game, it's impossible not to say this with Charles Martinet's intonation.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Ever since Star Ocean has had sequels people have just been calling them SO2, SO3, etc.

Nov 1, 2020
Kind of the reverse, but I never see/hear anyone say "The Legend of Heroes" part when talking about the Trails games.
Not only a case where the original series name gets subsumed by the subtitle, but a double layered one at that! Legend of Heroes started off as Dragon Slayer: The Legend of Heroes. (it's the sixth game in Dragon Slayer, I believe)
Loh1_Dragon_Slayer_The_Legend_of_Heroes.jpg

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
The "classic" Rockman/Mega Man numbered games all have subtitles, but noone's calling 2 "Dr. Wily's Secret" or 8 "Metal Heroes".

Mar 31, 2018
Summer-Colored High School Adolescent Record – A Summer At School On An Island Where I Contemplate How The First Day After I Transferred, I Ran Into A Childhood Friend And Was Forced To Join The Journalism Club Where While My Days As A Paparazzi Kid With Great Scoops Made Me Rather Popular Among The Girls, But Strangely My Camera Is Full Of Panty Shots, And Where My Candid Romance Is Going

This is the full name of some Japanese game. I assume that no one bothers to write out the subtitle in full.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Not a game, but this reminds me how I had no clue the first Mistborn book had a subtitle until after I finished the original trilogy.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Animal Crossing Gamecube.
It's... complicated. It's kind of like a tagline, more than a subtitle. Kind of like how Pokemon Red & Blue and stuff had "Gotta Catch 'em All!" near the logo.

But officially it's just known as Animal Crossing.

Yeah, if this was the case, it would actually be called "Welcome to Animal Crossing: Population Growing"
Because the top of the sign has "welcome to"

mudai

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, is Yakuza 7 actually Like a Dragon? I legit had no idea. And to be fair, lots of people say things like, "playing Like a Dragon." Or at least in one thread specifically there were lots of mentions of it.

How would anyone know this is Yakuza 7?

Yakuza_like_a_dragon_cover_art.jpg

I think most newcomers will call it Like a Dragon while long-time fans, myself included, just call it Yakuza 7. Because that's what it is: Yakuza 7 or rather Ryu ga Gotoku 7 in Japan. But speaking of subtitles: Nobody used Yakuza 6's subtitle in the west when talking about the game:

81KlwG6waCL._SL1500_.jpg

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I've played the other Yakuza games and honestly I prefer Yakuza: Like a Dragon to just plain Yakuza 7

It's basically a new series with a new protag in a completely different genre, I like the differentiation

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If we want to get cheeky, fallout also had the "post nuclear role playing game" nobody used

3478_front.jpg

493_front.jpg

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This seems to happen to almost every game that doesn't need to be specified as different from a previous entry, if it's the only game, the only popular game in it's series, or if it has a number.

It's interesting when it happens the other way round though, like Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Are they the subtitle though?