• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I've always been pretty bad at character action games but thought I'd give Gaiden II a whirl last night since it's on Game Pass, and was pleasantly surprised how quickly the pace of combat and mechanics clicked with me, I was having a blast. So I'm curious to see what I've missed out on with other character action titles that have a similar control layout and speed to the combat, things that you think represent the crown jewels of the genre. Doesn't need to just be more recent titles in the genre but I'd like to check out some newer stuff too. So whatcha got for me Era?

...in before Ninja Gaiden (2004) recommend :P

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Devil May Cry n Bayonetta are as fluid, in certain ways a lot faster. The onus is more on the player to get faster.

If you're looking for pace n swiftness if combat (more appropriate for what you probably want) then Revengeance is the closest thing to a Ninja Gaiden but not Ninja Gaiden. Some people have said Sekiro, but I feel like that's only true if you wanted Ninja Gaiden to play worse.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
I mean, if you wanna see what Team Ninja is up to now, try Nioh 2--not exactly character action, but for my money the best combat ever put in a video game.

Coco64x

Jul 13, 2019
Ninja Gaiden Black is the only thing comparable.
Devil May Cry 3, 4 and 5 have the best combat in any game/series in my opinion and are the closest thing to Ninja Gaiden I can think of but is still difficult to compare.
Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Transformers Devastation are all a good time with Platinum developing them.
If you want something good and difficult but a bit different then maybe try God Hand or Shinobi (2002).

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
NGB is still really, really great and worth checking out if you haven't played it.

Otherwise there's honestly not much like it. Bayonetta/DMC are much more combo focused, while NG was always very lethal and more about efficiency. Maaaaaaybe Revengance? It's probably the most similar combat wise. But yeah, it's pretty slim picking.

Aug 2, 2018
No action game to this day has been able to capture what Itagaki did with NG and NGII. I am in the same boat where I had a recent urge to play NG and then I ended up binging the series for weeks and wanting more, but not getting the same feeling with other action games.

Try Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's edge. Its not on the level of 1 and 2, but it's still a great 10-15 hour game that will scratch that ninja gaiden itch. Try DMC games too. While mechanically they are great but aren't going for the same idea that NG does so its not the lightning fast, razor-sharp, cold and crisp to the core experience that is NG.

George Romero

Oct 5, 2018
Ninja gaiden has the best combat ever, you wont find a better combat in any game. DMC, bayonetta combat are very poor if you compare to NG

NG 3 razor's edge has a great combat too, try it

Aug 2, 2018
Ninja Gaiden Black is the only thing comparable.
Devil May Cry 3, 4 and 5 have the best combat in any game/series in my opinion and are the closest thing to Ninja Gaiden I can think of but is still difficult to compare.
Metal Gear Rising, Bayonetta 1 & 2, Transformers Devastation are all a good time with Platinum developing them.
If you want something good and difficult but a bit different then maybe try God Hand or Shinobi (2002).
That's a pretty based list. I loved MGR and Transformers devastation is an underrated gem. I truly wish the TMNT game that platinum did wasn't so bad cuz I love TMNT.

Bayonetta though never clicked for me because I didn't care for the aestethic and felt like the screen was terribly cluttered with explosive colors and what not. I currently have bayo 2 sitting on my switch, but can't play without getting a migraine.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
God of War 1 has fluidity. 2 is good too. They are easier in comparison but the ability to block at any time in an attack string really gave a nice sense of control (note: some attacks cannot be cancelled). Combat becomes attacking and looking for enemy cues with which you decide:
- to block for the counter and continue attacking
- roll out of the way
- use poseidons rage

I don't know if it is the greek mythology setting (which I enjoy), but GoW was a great game to go to after I was done with NGB. Pretty simple but enjoyable. I liked GoW 1 more than 2.

There's really nothing like NGB. I will say though, I enjoyed Dark Souls immensely. The challenge is satisfying.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta, Especially Bayonetta because they have a focus on dodging. DMC's dodging mechanics are not as fluid.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Devil May Cry n Bayonetta are as fluid, in certain ways a lot faster. The onus is more on the player to get faster.

If you're looking for pace n swiftness if combat (more appropriate for what you probably want) then Revengeance is the closest thing to a Ninja Gaiden but not Ninja Gaiden. Some people have said Sekiro, but I feel like that's only true if you wanted Ninja Gaiden to play worse.
Not even close and I love all 3 series

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
There's nothing quite like Ninja Gaiden's combat except Ninja Gaiden. Games like DMC & Bayonetta are more about being as stylish as possible, which is antithetical to NG's focus on efficency.

Sep 22, 2019
Closest would be Metal Gear Rising, but Ninja Gaiden is still king. Wish Team Ninja would return to the series, but mixed it up a bit with puzzles and platforming like the first one, Razor's Edge levels were basically arenas to fight which made the game feel tedious.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Not even close and I love all 3 series
pure movement is concerned? Dante n Bayonetta can zip in around enemies no problem, and in the case of Dante n all his flying it's plenty comparable. At least DMC4 Dante, less so 5 that dude hangs in the air for an eternity.

Combos are longer in those games, but they are meant to be more expressive games on the whole.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Gow 2018 is the only action game I find that has the same hit impact as NG games since NG. There might be others action games that are great but every hit you strike in GoW feels like you are actually hitting something with an axe rather than just watching an animation combos like dmc games.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Pretty much every good character action game runs at that speed.

Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising....

Nioh (1 & 2), while not being a pure action game, is probably the closest an ARPG gets... Followed by Bloodborne.

Net_Wrecker

Oct 25, 2017
There are lots of great action games listed in here, even some I might prefer over Ninja Gaiden Black, but there really is nothing else quite like that game unfortunately. Everything else is either on the DMC family tree of expressive combo focused gameplay, each with their own focus and gimmicks, or more recently from the Souls family tree, none of which I found anywhere near as satisfying until Sekiro.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Bro DMC got NG in terms of speed and fluidity. Like it is basically the king of action and started the genre.

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing is comparable to NG2. Bayo and DMC are awesome, but they aren't going to scratch the same itch. Sekiro maybe, though it's different. Metal Gear Rising as well.

Oct 27, 2017
Bro DMC got NG in terms of speed and fluidity. Like it is basically the king of action and started the genre.
Nah, DMC5 is incredibly fluid but it's a slower paced game, the enemies are designed to be punching bags for you to go off. NG2 literally starts with you getting attacked the first frame of the game lol. Plus Ryu is way more agile, DMC has always had a certain jankiness to player movement, though 5 improved on that aspect. Ryu can jump and flip around with ease.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Nah, DMC5 is incredibly fluid but it's a slower paced game, the enemies are designed to be punching bags for you to go off. NG2 literally starts with you getting attacked the first frame of the game lol. Plus Ryu is way more agile, DMC has always had a certain jankiness to player movement, though 5 improved on that aspect. Ryu can jump and flip around with ease.

Dante and Nero are doing shonen moves in their own games but Ryu is more in way of realistic compared to DMC games.

Aug 2, 2018
Gow 2018 is the only action game I find that has the same hit impact as NG games since NG. There might be others action games that are great but every hit you strike in GoW feels like you are actually hitting something with an axe rather than just watching an animation combos like dmc games.
DMC5 has great hit impact, unique to each weapons. The impact when you do a perfect royalguard block is immensely satisfying and getting a nice combo with the balrog feels very crunchy. GOW enemies are huge damage sponges so the impact that is there does not feel rewarding because enemies just take forever to die.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Ninja gaiden has the best combat ever, you wont find a better combat in any game. DMC, bayonetta combat are very poor if you compare to NG

NG 3 razor's edge has a great combat too, try it
This post is false and uninformed. Ninja Gaiden's combat is much more shallow and limited than the Bayonetta games and DMC 3, 4, and 5.

Just watch like two Donguri videos and it's clear that the depth and skill ceiling of the DMC games are on a completely different level.

As for Bayonetta, n472a has many videos that showcase the advanced mechanics.

Last edited:

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
I've yet to find a 3D game where the game keeps pace with my inputs as good as NGB/NG2. In most games you line up your inputs and they unfold with their own startup and recovery frames. DMC with turbo mode comes close but still NG is in its own league when it comes to instant hits and combos.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
That new dmc is dope. I don't really play this series but it's good. Vanquish though a shooter is dope too

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This post is false and uninformed. Ninja Gaiden's combat is much more shallow and limited than the Bayonetta games and DMC 3, 4, and 5.

Just watch like two Donguri videos and it's clear that the depth and skill ceiling of the DMC games are on a completely different level.

The average enemy encounter in DMC is just there for the player to style on. The average enemy encounter in Ninja Gaiden are out to kill you. The enemies in NG are much more aggressive, and it leads to a very different type of game (despite being in the same genre).

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
DMC is slower paced, you heard it here first!

m.youtube.com

Devil May Cry - COMBO VIDEO (DMC3~5)

過去コンボのプチまとめ動画です。4の速さは気持ちいいですけど、5の選択肢の豊富さもいいですね。Used BGM1.DMC3 Devils Never Cry2.DMC5 - Devil Trigger (Shall Never Surrender Mix by Hikouma)→https://www.youtu...
youtube.com

Devil May Cry 5 - Dante BOSS RUSH (Free Style)-

1080p/60fps. Turbo MOD and Quick Silver MOD are used in this video. I will be glad if you would enjoy watchin this. BGM 1. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance OST ...

Oct 27, 2017
DMC is slower paced, you heard it here first!

m.youtube.com

Devil May Cry - COMBO VIDEO (DMC3~5)

過去コンボのプチまとめ動画です。4の速さは気持ちいいですけど、5の選択肢の豊富さもいいですね。Used BGM1.DMC3 Devils Never Cry2.DMC5 - Devil Trigger (Shall Never Surrender Mix by Hikouma)→https://www.youtu...
youtube.com

Devil May Cry 5 - Dante BOSS RUSH (Free Style)-

1080p/60fps. Turbo MOD and Quick Silver MOD are used in this video. I will be glad if you would enjoy watchin this. BGM 1. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance OST ...
These are videos by gods, the average person isn't pulling off combo strings like that lol. Of course you can string together attacks at a very rapid pace, but that doesn't negate what i said. Movement speed in the game is slower, dodging is slower, enemies are less aggressive. In NG2 you are consistently flying across the screen like Ryu is hopped up on coke.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
The average enemy encounter in DMC is just there for the player to style on. The average enemy encounter in Ninja Gaiden are out to kill you. The enemies in NG are much more aggressive, and it leads to a very different type of game (despite being in the same genre).
While NG has more aggressive AI that loves to spam projectiles and grabs, the DMC series' enemies are anything but passive. In fact, DMC has a reputation as a challenging series.

DMC1 was hard as balls on Normal. So was DMC3, until the Special Edition relabeled the difficulties so that the vanilla version's Normal became Hard in the SE.

DMC4, and especially DMC5, are definitely challenging on Son of Sparda or above.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While NG has more aggressive AI that loves to spam projectiles and grabs, the DMC series' enemies are anything but passive. In fact, DMC has a reputation as a challenging series.

DMC1 was hard as balls on Normal. So was DMC3, until the Special Edition relabeled the difficulties so that the vanilla version's Normal became Hard in the SE.

DMC4, and especially DMC5, are definitely challenging on Son of Sparda or above.

I played DMC 5 on Son of Sparda and far too many enemies felt too passive. I never got that feeling like I did in NG II when the wolves would throw the limbs of their dismembered allies at me while I was attacking their other allies.

The only enemies I thought were really hard in DMC 5 were a couple of the late game bosses.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Black on Master Ninja difficulty being played by a really good player is a sight to behold.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
These are videos by gods, the average person isn't pulling off combo strings like that lol. Of course you can string together attacks at a very rapid pace, but that doesn't negate what i said. Movement speed in the game is slower, dodging is slower, enemies are less aggressive. In NG2 you are consistently flying across the screen like Ryu is hopped up on coke.
It's true that overall movement speed is slower in the DMC games, and that NG has Ryu hopping all over the place. But with Trickster and Devil Trigger, Dante can be just as mobile.

Regarding those videos, yeah, the players are experts, demonstrating the potential of those combat mechanics. Yet I'm nothing close to a god gamer and I can still impress myself with jump cancels and Dante's teleports (Air Trick, Ground Trick).

DMC5 has more lenient input windows for everything, so although it's not exactly easy to emulate the most advanced players, DMC5 lets anyone immensely up their game with techniques that used to be out of reach for casuals. All you've got to do is be aware of what's possible, and try things.

Jumping when you're up against an enemy cancels your attack animation and resets your double jump and any move counters (normally you can air dodge or teleport once per jump with Dante, or air taunt once with Nero. Jump canceling refreshes these actions). That alone can open so many doors for people who just press the attack button a lot.

Last edited:

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I don't think anything beats Ninja Gaiden's II combat system, it's so fast, fluid and satisfying, one of my favourite combat systems. I don't really care for it outside of its combat though.

You should definitely try Ninja Gaiden Black, the combat isn't as hyper violent and fluid, but it still has a similar speed and feel, it's also overall a much better game too.

While they have different feel, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are series you should seek if you are starting to enjoy this genre.

OP
OP
wafflebrain

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

I don't think anything beats Ninja Gaiden's II combat system, it's so fast, fluid and satisfying, one of my favourite combat systems. I don't really care for it outside of its combat though.

You should definitely try Ninja Gaiden Black, the combat isn't as hyper violent and fluid, but it still has a similar speed and feel, it's also overall a much better game too.

While they have different feel, Devil May Cry and Bayonetta are series you should seek if you are starting to enjoy this genre.

Once I finish NG II I think I'll try out Black, it's only $10 on Microsoft Store and with X enhancement it's all the more tempting.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :)

Once I finish NG II I think I'll try out Black, it's only $10 on Microsoft Store and with X enhancement it's all the more tempting.
It looks amazing on the X, it was already a great looking game, especially for one that came out in 2004, but it looks so clean at 4K and the framerate is so smooth.

That and NGII are my favourite BC X enhanced titles, they did a brilliant job with them.

Touha

Oct 27, 2017
All three Ninja Gaiden games (NGB, NG2 and NG3: Razors Edge) have to this day the greatest hack and slash combat gameplay ever that has yet to be matched by anything else out there. You should definitely play all three (on the X1X if possible).

Beyond Ninja Gaiden, the Nioh games for sure (also Team Ninja), Metal Gear Rising, Shinobi, Vanquish are all great.

Totally different genre but for a flowing, visceral combat experience that feels a bit similar I also recommend Warframe and Doom (2016).

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Bayonetta borrows a LOT from Ninja Gaiden with similar dial-a-combo system but they go further with dodge offset allowing player to prolong long attack string through dodges instead of just canceling and starting over.

Oct 28, 2017
Ive never got past Masakado in Ninja Gaiden Black, and it haunts me to this day. Lord knows I tried, and failed.

And the Murai fight went so well, I thought I had a chance haha.

Aug 2, 2018
It's true that overall movement speed is slower in the DMC games, and that NG has Ryu hopping all over the place. But with Trickster and Devil Trigger, Dante can be just as mobile.

Regarding those videos, yeah, the players are experts, demonstrating the potential of those combat mechanics. Yet I'm nothing close to a god gamer and I can still impress myself with jump cancels and Dante's teleports (Air Trick, Ground Trick).

DMC5 has more lenient input windows for everything, so although it's not exactly easy to emulate the most advanced players, DMC5 lets anyone immensely up their game with techniques that used to be out of reach for casuals. All you've got to do is be aware of what's possible, and try things.

Jumping when you're up against an enemy cancels your attack animation and resets your double jump and any move counters (normally you can air dodge or teleport once per jump with Dante, or air taunt once with Nero. Jump canceling refreshes these actions). That alone can open so many doors for people who just press the attack button a lot.
Not sure why you're making these comparisons since pretty much everyone knows all of this. DMC and NG have different goals as video games and achieve them in their own different ways. In no way is one shallower than the other. If someone is looking for a game like NG, DMC won't scratch that itch and pretty much no other game would. NG is one of a kind.