• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
MGS4 : Everything is Nanomachines. No more love story between Meryl and Snake, here , have Mr poopy pants Johnny.

Ok.....

Fumpster

Nov 4, 2017
A whole bunch of pivotal moments in Pokemon Sword/Shield are randomly told through illustrations instead of cutscenes near the end, so I pick that.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Bloodborne The Old Hunters: the Lumenwood Garden lamp is just some steps away from the Astral Clocktower one... why?

It's just two bosses one after the other (the Living Failures and Lady Maria), so why not just put only one between them?

From in general tends to have all these obvious 'ah yeah, they cut this shit' moments in their games. If it's not what you mentioned, it's weird, sudden areas where you can only teleport out of when the vast majority of the game up until then was interconnected and so on. That remaining trap door in Byrgenwerth in Bloodborne is still one of the more infuriating ones to me.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The like warped JPG backgrounds in Fire Emblem Three Houses during support conversations.

All the support dialogues don't take place in the actual environments instead they just took prerendered screenshots of the actual environment and then warped them to look 3D with the character models on top, but there's always these weird stretches and oddities to them and you can tell they're just static images.

fire-emblem-three-houses-floor.jpg

Overall the game is pretty damn ugly and has a lot of graphical shortcomings and limitations in the presentation. You can tell they had a very limited budget most likely and really had to stretch things as much as they could given the amount of content, VO and stuff they were trying to do with the game.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
What's up with the Halo 2 mentions? I played the game for the first time last month and thought it was really good for such an old game. Is it the ending being very rushed or something else?

It's the ending. As originally intended, the game would have continued with another level or two on Earth. Areas were modeled, some encounters were created, and voice acting was recorded for it. All of that was scrapped because there was no time to finish it. The crunch on Halo 2 was nuts.

Genz

Oct 27, 2017
Cut-scenes in FFXIV. Most of them look like placeholder.
Lot of black screen with a sound, too.
(well, they also use black screen even when they actually have the needed animation, that was used in another cut-scene 5 mins earlier...)

We got better cut-scenes in patch 5.3, and from what yoshda said, it was thanks to the update being pushed back 1 month. They had more time ; they didn't need to cut corners.
Cut-scenes in 5.4 are back to the placeholder style.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
The like warped JPG backgrounds in Fire Emblem Three Houses during support conversations.

All the support dialogues don't take place in the actual environments instead they just took prerendered screenshots of the actual environment and then warped them to look 3D with the character models on top, but there's always these weird stretches and oddities to them and you can tell they're just static images.

Overall the game is pretty damn ugly and has a lot of graphical shortcomings and limitations in the presentation. You can tell they had a very limited budget most likely and really had to stretch things as much as they could given the amount of content, VO and stuff they were trying to do with the game.

wait what
i never realized this, how? its so jarring

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
It's the ending. As originally intended, the game would have continued with another level or two on Earth. Areas were modeled, some encounters were created, and voice acting was recorded for it. All of that was scrapped because there was no time to finish it. The crunch on Halo 2 was nuts.
That explains the weird and abrupt transition between Halo 2 and 3. You're all of the sudden on Earth fighting the Covenant even though at the end of 2 Master Chief went to the big Covenant ship thing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
wait what
i never realized this, how? its so jarring
Yeah it's really bad in all of them. The Support Convos were pretty jacked up when it came to presentation. I remember Caspars was particularly bad with like action and things happening and it's just him and Byleth on this terrible exterior screenshot and he's supposed to be chasing and fighting ruffians and all you're doing is staring at Byleth's model over this screenshot and dialogue boxes of Caspar basically narrating what he's doing.

It's a fun and fine game, but it's definitely got some major shortcomings and just cheap ass shit to it.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada

I actually can't believe I never noticed this. I guess I was more engaged in the conversation than in the place they were talking in.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
Spyro Enter the Dragonfly

This was my first lesson in franchise disappointment. After a great PS1 trilogy child me was so excited for spyris PS2 debut and i remember clearing the first main hub world fighting the boss and waiting to unlock the second hub(where the spyro formula was 4 hubs with a boss at the end of each). Lo and behold after beating the 1st boss the credits start rolling and im blown away.

Yup. Once Spyro broke free from Sony and was taken over by Universal (and Insomniac moved on from it), the creative vision was vastly different. The new team had no idea what they were doing.

pepone1234

Feb 19, 2018
Xenoblade X.

The soundtrack is not well modulated at all. Like, in the middle of a normal conversation a new soundtrack enters the game BOOM BOOM BOOM. Clear lack of polish here.
New LA is a cut corner as a whole. Cars with no physics, brutal popping...
The story has pacing problems

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020
What's up with the Halo 2 mentions? I played the game for the first time last month and thought it was really good for such an old game. Is it the ending being very rushed or something else?

Okay, the story on Halo 2 was that Bungie made a game that ran great... on their development kits (or high-end PCs, don't remember which). It utterly could not work on a retail Xbox. The realized this after a release date was set in stone, so they had to do a ton of work to pare down or rework the game to be playable on release. There are odd areas of brokenness, and the ending had to be trimmed back, to the point that Halo 3's intro makes no goddammit sense because the events leading to Chief ending up an impact crater were cut from 2.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I 'hated' playing it my first playthrough a few months ago. Story and plot were fine, dig Keith David, space lizard warrior. Rhyming fly trap lulzy. The actual game was just kinda... I can't remember ever thoroughly having zero fun with Halo before. CE's 2001 jank required adjustment, I fucking hated 5's plot but levels were fun, plenty of levels have frustrating bits, but it felt the Halo 2 campaign was nothing but the frustrating bits.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime is a masterpiece, but you can see a few spots where the rush to release made its mark.

The most obvious example is Flaahgra's battle theme. In the NTSC version, the music loops incorrectly and never progresses past the first 35 seconds, an error that was fixed in subsequent releases.

NTSC version

Actual full version

Another obvious example is the Omega Pirates missiles. Scanning the missiles reveals an unfinished placeholder.

S0zmoy4.png

E5VOFbf.png

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Saga Frontier end in the middle of a battle to just say "The End"
SaGa Frontier is literally unfinished but this ending in particular was always planned to be this way. The actual ending happens a few hours before with the credits and everything. That infamous part is the epilogue of the scenario.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
good god the back half of the game makes this the poster child for this thread, it's soooo obvious where they ran out of time developing the game

This was also really weird considering I'm pretty sure most games aren't developed sequentially, yet with Sword & Shield it very much feels like it was. Or at least, they put a bunch of stuff towards the end on the backburner and never had the time to actually finish it up.

The PokƩmon Company's strict adherence to a cross-media rollout only negatively affects the games, honestly.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
LAIR on PS3. That game had so many cut corners we could metaphorically describe it as a perfect circle.

Oct 25, 2017
Far from the most egregious example, but it felt like in God of War 2018 the elevator fight towards the end was either filler or not as impressive as they intended it to be.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Metroid Prime is a masterpiece, but you can see a few spots where the rush to release made its mark.

The most obvious example is Flaahgra's battle theme. In the NTSC version, the music loops incorrectly and never progresses past the first 35 seconds, an error that was fixed in subsequent releases.

NTSC version

Actual full version

Another obvious example is the Omega Pirates missiles. Scanning the missiles reveals an unfinished placeholder.

S0zmoy4.png

E5VOFbf.png

correction time: the music never had a loop glitch. that's the whole thing in the first release.

the music was that short originally and they made a more extended version while localizing the game for other regions (remember it released in 2002 in america but in 2003 everywhere else)

this can be verified by extracting the game files and playing back the audio for this song in a capable program. hell, just the filesizes alone show the difference since the files you obtain from the original US release are smaller than the files from any further release.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
Bloodborne The Old Hunters: the Lumenwood Garden lamp is just some steps away from the Astral Clocktower one... why?

It's just two bosses one after the other (the Living Failures and Lady Maria), so why not just put only one between them?

Definitely an artifact of "content stitching". Which makes me wonder why their so few mentions of FFXIII in here, which was notorious for exactly this kind of cobbling together of completed game segments.

MGS4 : Everything is Nanomachines. No more love story between Meryl and Snake, here , have Mr poopy pants Johnny.

Ok.....

MGS5 gets so much heat for being unfinished, but IMO 4 clearly has much more missing. Imagine creating a game with arguably more gameplay mechanics than MGS5. Then imagine setting the entire game inside traditional videogame "levels" riddled with very long rail-shooter segments, tailing missions, and tiny robot enemies on which the majority of gameplay mechanics don't apply.

Something went wrong there.

Cut-scenes in FFXIV. Most of them look like placeholder.
Lot of black screen with a sound, too.

Really all of 2.0. My wife is playing through ARR and she keeps remarking on how cramped and small-scale the game feels compared to say...vanilla WoW. I can't unsee this, especially since so many of the zones are minor variants of a shared biome, with some notable exceptions. I understand why it had to be that way though.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
correction time: the music never had a loop glitch. that's the whole thing in the first release.

the music was that short originally and they made a more extended version while localizing the game for other regions (remember it released in 2002 in america but in 2003 everywhere else)

this can be verified by extracting the game files and playing back the audio for this song in a capable program. hell, just the filesizes alone show the difference since the files you obtain from the original US release are smaller than the files from any further release.
Huh. Thanks for the correction. Are you sure they didn't just accidentally cut the original track short? It's very short compared to most of the other boss tracks in the game.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Huh. Thanks for the correction. Are you sure they didn't just accidentally cut the original track short? It's very short compared to most of the other boss tracks in the game.
no idea why it was shorter in the first place but the fact is that the audio in the file is playing correctly and there's no glitch. it was just a way shorter version.

they changed a few things when they were localizing the game outside this like adding missile totals to the missile counter in the HUD and a few other things. you can probably find many of these version differences by googling.

Mr_Zombie

Oct 27, 2017
Poland
RE engine aside, RE3 only assets were made before they even knew if RE2make would be a success financially?

According to sources the RE3R was in development as long as RE2R. And while RE2R was rushed towards the end (according to sources a lot have changed during the last year of the game's development, and the "2nd run" scenarios were a last minute additions), RE3R was completed long before the game was released. There weren't any cuts due to budget or time limitations - the game that was released was the game developers wanted to release. It just didn't include everything from the original game, but that was (apparently) by design.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Final Fantasy X's an incredibly impressive game for its time and easily in my top 3 in the series. It's the foundation for how a lot of companies approached making JRPGs on sixth generation consoles, so I'm not trying to knock what they accomplished when I say

Boy, the bestiary kinda stank

28-leaving36.jpg

See this Dingo? One of the first enemies in the game that you can take out with a single hit? Prepare to see a lot of it, reskins show up in most areas of the game... and they 're all equally one-note. It's not even the most recurring enemy type what with all the Flans and Eyes floating around. Compared to the PS1 Final Fantasies which had a ton of unique enemies, Final Fantasy X boasts a little over 40 species total? And you won't be seeing a good quarter of those until near the end of the game, so get ready for a lot of the same enemies over and over again.

I think the lower enemy variety was just a natural consequence of a higher-definition JRPG: a new enemy type means a whole new model means that new model's gotta look as good as the others. That effort grows exponentially as graphical expectations get higher. A lot of the aforementioned JRPGs which followed FFX had a similar problem and, as games like Breath of the Wild show, it's still an issue today in the world of HD game development.

At least Final Fantasy X made up for it in boss variety! I also think it hung a pretty clever lampshade over its enemy reuse:

Monster_arena.JPG

The Monster Arena! Those recolors you fought throughout the game were all members of the same SPECIES, it was totally intentional! You capture enough enemies from a certain species and you can fight the most badass member of their species as a superboss. Rinse and repeat for each one--also capture one of each enemy in an area to unlock a superboss version of an enemy that's not so common. Or capture certain combos to unlock special recolors of bosses!

Sure, they're all just using renamed versions of the same moves with suped-up stats, but they're tough so they count as superbosses! Even the one truly unique Arena boss Neslug was apparently a repurposed boss cut from the base game.

Last edited:

ResidentDante

Nov 2, 2017
Oslo, Norway
According to sources the RE3R was in development as long as RE2R. And while RE2R was rushed towards the end (according to sources a lot have changed during the last year of the game's development, and the "2nd run" scenarios were a last minute additions), RE3R was completed long before the game was released. There weren't any cuts due to budget or time limitations - the game that was released was the game developers wanted to release. It just didn't include everything from the original game, but that was (apparently) by design.
I see! Thanks for the info.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
On the subject of Pokemon: Red and Blue are held together with goddamn duct tape.

Some of the notable errors include:
  • Every single "100% accuracy" move has a 1/256 chance of missing except Swift due to using a strictly less than check rather than a less than or equal to check.
  • The move Kinesis is not learned by any Pokemon through level up or TM. The only way to even see this move it is randomly selecting it with Metronome. It's also an awful move.
  • Attacks that are super effective again one of a Pokemon's types and not very effective the other type will erroneously show the super effective or not very effective message, even though the attack is doing neither.
  • The invisible stat buffs provided by badges in single player are reapplied every time your stats change. This means that a move like Harden (Raises your Defense stat by one stage) will also increase your Attack, Speed, and Special.
  • On the subject of badge boosts, the move Haze, which is supposed to reset the explicit stat alterations from attacks, will remove your invisible badge boost stat buffs.
  • The move Focus Energy is supposed to double your critical hit rate. Instead, it halves your critical hit rate.
  • The move Rage is garbage, but what's especially bad is that if you miss Rage, the accuracy will change to 1/256, virtually guaranteeing you will never hit again.
  • The moves Night Shade and Seismic Toss completely ignore type immunities, so you can suplex a ghost.
  • The move Bide makes no fucking sense. In addition to being able to hit Ghosts despite being a Normal type attack, the Bide damage calculations are bizarre and the move has so many weird glitches.
  • The move Psi-Wave, in addition to being garbage, breaks the game in link cable battles due to desynching both players.
  • The Ghost type is supposed to be super effective against the Psychic type, but Psychic is immune to the only regular Ghost type attack (Lick).
  • The rival battle before Victory Road uses the same data as an early game rival fight, so he uses Potions instead of Super or Hyper Potions.
  • You can use the PokeDoll to end any wild encounter... Including the mandatory story one in Lavender Town that is normally off-limits until the Silph Scope.
  • Moves that inflict status as an additional effect can't inflict status on Pokemon of that move's type. Normally this seems sensible: Ice Beam can't freeze an Ice type, Fire Blast can't freeze a Fire type... Except Body Slam can't inflict paralysis on a Normal type. This was a mechanical quirk that was only discovered over a decade after the games' release.
  • Enemy trainers have unlimited power points, which can cause soft locks under the right conditions.
  • The "smart" trainer AI will preferentially use super-effective moves... Always. Even when those moves do literally nothing. This is most obvious with Lance, where he will literally never attack a Poison type with his dragons because the Psychic stat-raising moves Barrier and Agility are "super-effective".
  • The Pokemon Moltres learns the move Leer, one of the weakest stat affecting moves, at level 51. Why? Because Leer's ID number is 1 away from the attack Fire Blast. WHOOPSIES! EDIT: ERAsaur rightfully pointed out this is bullshit. Fire Blast is a gym TM move, and no gym TM moves were designed for level up. I was thinking of Flamethrower... But I'm not sure if the ID number thing holds true there. Whatever's the case, I can confidently say Moltres, a legendary Pokemon, should not be learning Leer at level 51. :P
Of course, Pokemon Red is what got me into gaming, so sometimes a broken mess can still be really fun!
These aren't corner cutting, they're just bad programming.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Far from the most egregious example, but it felt like in God of War 2018 the elevator fight towards the end was either filler or not as impressive as they intended it to be.

I don't remember the specific elevator bit, been a while since I played GoW 2018, but there was a confirmed cut bit that made a lot of sense in hindsight:

I remember thinking that Atreus going from finding out about being a god, to immediately being an elitist asshole about being a god, was a bit of bad writing. Turns out, the section where he becomes a jerk got cut, and so he's left with a somewhat abrupt change of character.

Garwoofoo

Oct 28, 2017
Shenmue III for me. It starts amazingly well and then just kind of progressively falls apart as it goes on.

The first area is fantastic and clearly achieved everything they were aiming for. The second area looks great and is really well designed but the actual story, as in the things you do, is 100% recycled from the first area. It's literally just a reprise. Then the third area, which should be the culmination of the whole thing, is essentially just a bunch of cutscenes.

I still love the game and it's miraculous it even got made but it's clear they just didn't have the money or the time to make that final area what it was supposed to be.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shenmue III for me. It starts amazingly well and then just kind of progressively falls apart as it goes on.

The first area is fantastic and clearly achieved everything they were aiming for. The second area looks great and is really well designed but the actual story, as in the things you do, is 100% recycled from the first area. It's literally just a reprise. Then the third area, which should be the culmination of the whole thing, is essentially just a bunch of cutscenes.

I still love the game and it's miraculous it even got made but it's clear they just didn't have the money or the time to make that final area what it was supposed to be.
Yup, I posted similar to this for Shenmue 3. I also had an issue with how many people in the second area (the shrine maiden especially) just sorta.... appear and suddenly they are important in the ending. Its not like 1 or 2 where you gradually built up a friendship with Ren or Gui Zhang. And yeah, the entire third part was basically cut and rushed, which is why most of the plot in that point feels like it was missing. I'd have rather they cut the second area and just did the first area, and properly built up the finale. Nothing plot wise would have been lost (they could just recycle Nio Sun into the first part instead) and had you head over to Baisha/Castle area after learning of Shenhua's fathers fate at the end of part 1. I like the city environment (was gorgeous and really fun to explore) but it just sorta brings the game down with how the plot flat out stalls for many hours.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018

Came here to say this. The lack of Baisha really shows, and really hurts. And the inclusion of Niaowu seems pointless besides ensuring the inclusion of forklifts for the fans.

Oct 25, 2017
Wind Waker is the popular example, but I'd say Breath of the Wild. The single shrine and divine beast aesthetic, the very limited enemy variety, the many duplicate combat shrines, completely absent underwater gameplay. Lots of asset re-use in general.

It's my favorite in the series, but it's clear their struggling to get the gameplay systems nailed down took the majority of dev time. Hope Botw 2 got plenty of time to flesh everything out.

DrKelpo

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Call of Duty Black Ops Cold war definitely... the campaign is fun and has interesting missions but you can clearly tell it was cut short.
The evidence finding mechanic is barely used.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Genuinely curious if FE3H was intended to have pre-time skip routes more tailored to your house of choice. I was blown away when my SO, playing yellow route, said he had all the same missions as me, playing blue route, because until then, every mission felt tailored to blue house specifically.

i think it had to have been intended at some point and was scrapped for time/resource reasons. Having pre-time skip have different maps and missions would have made the game so much better to get through every route on šŸ˜­