• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if this counts, but in Bioshock there's an audio log with Dr. Suchong and a test subject where you can hear...

Dr. Suchong order the test subject to break a puppy's neck via the "Would you kindly?" command. You can hear the snap and puppy yelp.

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Yep, you're right. It bothered me to have that deer hunting quest preventing me from getting 100% as a non-hunting player. Hopefully that sort of thing won't be in the sequel. Depending on how different the sequel is I'm wondering if it will have hunting at all. I was so surprised when that was included in BOTW.
I think if the sequel retains the whole survival aspect, the hunting will remain in the game, but I do hope they don't make it mandatory for any part of the game.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
What makes these needless or gratuitous? It seems to just be any games with violence against animals

It's just based on posts from myself and others ITT. I recognize some may not see them as gratuitous, it's a personal judgment call. I made separate lists in the OP. But really the intention of this thread is if someone wants to avoid games with violence in animals.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, would Horizon: Zero Dawn count? The "animals" are robots, sure, but they act and behave pretty much exactly like the creatures they were based on. It bothered me attacking the deers, for example, since I remember them letting out pretty realistic cries. Been a while since I played it though.

Also I wouldn't call it needless, since it is very much intentional to set the dark tone of the game and it's pretty restrained, but Final Fantasy Type-0 opens with the death of a Chocobo and its rider.

Oct 27, 2017
Out of curiosity, would Horizon: Zero Dawn count? The "animals" are robots, sure, but they act and behave pretty much exactly like the creatures they were based on. It bothered me attacking the deers, for example, since I remember them letting out pretty realistic cries. Been a while since I played it though.

Also I wouldn't call it needless, since it is very much intentional to set the dark tone of the game and it's pretty restrained, but Final Fantasy Type-0 opens with the death of a Chocobo and its rider.
Call me over sensitive but this is the reason why I stopped playing after a couple of hours.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017

I'll put both in the second list. I suspect most of us significantly bothered by this will avoid games on both lists.

Edit: A New Beginning I don't think you're being over sensitive. If it affected you, it affected you. LMK if you think the game should be on the first list and I'll do so.

I think the point is that for many, any violence against animals is distressing and unnecessary. No harm in making note of games with that, so those who are affected by something like this know what to avoid.

Thank you, you put it much better. That's exactly what I was trying to say. Off topic, but hope you are enjoying your Zelda series playthrough, BTW. If you get to play TFH it's a lot of fun with two other players.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
Games now have you killing constantly to get the bit you need, like there is a wolf without certain bones or a pelt or whatever. A lot of games will give you one random part of the animal it doesn't make sense.

Hunting fits into the game world though I do feel there are maybe a bit too many animals roaming around simultaneously in some areas of the map

Dont apply too much real life logic to games. Those things happens because of game mechanics. They aren't hunting simulations etc.

If you get pelt from every single wolf as example that quest becomes too easy. If you reduce amount of wolfes to make quest harder, it becomes more boring because now you are travelling and finding them, instead of taking action and killing them.

RDR2 hunting is pretty good actually. You need to track animals, use right baits and guns/ammo.

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
Thank you, you put it much better. That's exactly what I was trying to say. Off topic, but hope you are enjoying your Zelda series playthrough, BTW. If you get to play TFH it's a lot of fun with two other players.
No problem at all! I hope this thread is helpful
For Zelda, I sort of stopped a few hours into Twilight Princess. Maybe it's because I played them all back to back so quickly or maybe TP is just really not that good, but I was burned out hard. I'll return to finish it, and then play Skyward Sword (and the handheld games) soon though.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Dont apply too much real life logic to games. Those things happens because of game mechanics. They aren't hunting simulations etc.

If you get pelt from every single wolf as example that quest becomes too easy. If you reduce amount of wolfes to make quest harder, it becomes more boring because now you are travelling and finding them, instead of taking action and killing them.

RDR2 hunting is pretty good actually. You need to track animals, use right baits and guns/ammo.

I understand what you're saying. I think it's in the eye of the beholder really. As laxu indicated in their post on page 1, some players feel that the game mechanics being set up based on hunting are problematic reasons to begin with.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I'll put both in the second list. I suspect most of us significantly bothered by this will avoid games on both lists.

Edit: A New Beginning I don't think you're being over sensitive. If it affected you, it affected you. LMK if you think the game should be on the first list and I'll do so.

As a heads-up I'd recommend linking the individual posts in the OP so people can get the proper context for the reasons why certain things are mentioned. It's not too bad now with under two pages to read, but in the future I could see it being handy!

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is Tomb Raider 1 gratuitous?
I know that she really didn't have to travel to the areas that she did, but all the enemies I encountered attack you without provocation (other than the already fact that I guess she chose to go to those places).

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
I understand what you're saying. I think it's in the eye of the beholder really. As laxu indicated in their post on page 1, some players feel that the game mechanics being set up based on hunting are problematic reasons to begin with.

Yeah i understand if some people don't like that mechanic or killing animals is too sensitive for them.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
If you came in this thread to make fun of the premise of this thread or its replies, or give a joke reply, please do not post.

Hollow Knight

You rescue all of the adorable grubs throughout the game and then once you've rescued all of them, they are eaten by the elder grub. The game sort of hints at this being a chrysalis stage for them but it's unclear and it's played as a gross joke.

The grubs are alive though. By bouncing on the eldergrub you can still hear them being alive in the belly. This is all part of the next phase for the grubs to turn into:

Moths. Seer is the last known Moth in Hallownest. The moths worshipped The Radiance, and The Pale King wanted none of that. The Pale King tasked The Collector to gather all the grubs and put them in jars (hence why you can find a map of where they all are after you defeat The Collector. With more Moths defying The Radiance (Seer mentions this in dialogue) and Grubs locked up, The Radiance started to lose many followers. Only a handful would remember her. When the infection started seeping out of the Black Egg, The Radiance was able to control every single being infected. The Grubs being locked up in Glass jars are immune.

To conclude all this, once reached their final stage a new Moth Tribe can develop. And if you look at the Grubberfly's Elegy Charm (The one you get after saving all the grubs), you'll notice the Grub on it has wings. Very similar wings to those of The Radiance.

This is how I and many others see it. The Grubs are never killed.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

Waking through games killing everything you see to get bits isn't fun though, it's boring as hell. Even taking away the ethics thing it's just poor design. If you can't do it properly leave it out.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
No problem at all! I hope this thread is helpful
For Zelda, I sort of stopped a few hours into Twilight Princess. Maybe it's because I played them all back to back so quickly or maybe TP is just really not that good, but j was burned out hard. I'll return to finish it, and then play Skyward Sword (and the handheld games) soon though.

Yep, I was slightly concerned that might happen. Zelda burnout is real for me too, even as a big fan of the series. I love Skyward though so I hope you enjoy that one a lot. TP is good IMO, especially the dungeons, but doesn't have for me the most appealing setting or art design, and some of the main quest has pacing issues. Probably my least fave 3D Zelda overall. Anyway, won't hurt to mix it up and wait till you're craving some Zelda to get back to it.

Edit: Rotobit good idea, thanks. I'm just going to add a disclaimer to search the thread for any game a person wants more info on. That should have a similar effect.

Guido Krijt I understand that's the fan consensus and I can see the reasoning behind it, but IMO the initial shock value or grossness of that moment was gratuitous. I respect you see it differently.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Im not sure if God of War means God of War 4 or God of War 1 but you can probably put the entire series down

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Max, how do you feel about overtly "comical" violence? For example, in the sheep herding missions in Mario Odyssey:

You can punt or hit the sheep with your hat to send them flying in a very exaggerated, "cartoony" fashion.

Hilbert

Oct 27, 2017
Pacific Northwest!
does it have to be player violence?

In Sekiro the
bull with the fire on it set against the player who has to kill it is a pretty horrible situation for an animal to be in.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Max, how do you feel about overtly "comical" violence? For example, in the sheep herding missions in Mario Odyssey:

You can punt or hit the sheep with your hat to send them flying in a very exaggerated, "cartoony" fashion.

Tbh I didn't love that either but it's so cartoony it didn't bother me much. I would say the LM3 thing mentioned bothered me slightly more. And the Monster Boy pig quest where you collect foods and put yourself in a cooking pot bothered me more. But I stuck with both of those games and overall enjoyed them a lot. For me those are more minor issues.

does it have to be player violence?

In Sekiro the
bull with the fire on it set against the player who has to kill it is a pretty horrible situation for an animal to be in.

Nope, it doesn't need to be player violence. At least two of the examples of the OP are not the result of player actions.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I hated this about Life is Strange 2. Honestly pissed me off because it didn't really add anything to the story or characters.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Can't see it anything else than a game mechanic and it doesn't make people attack animals in real life.
Tbh I really rather we have VR hunting simulators than having people hunting real animals.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019

I wholeheartedly disagree with the assertion that Wolf2 was being gratuitous. When machinegames are being gratuitous, they let you know. The moment in question was part of a running theme in the story about parenthood, masculinity and empathy. And in a game that glorifies brutally murdering people in various creative and invasive ways, you absolutely need to showcase the differences between the targets and your character.

Still hard to watch, I will grant you.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I'm a huge animal lover and hate to see them abused in video games. But I think some of the inclusions in the original post seem a bit extreme.

Including a game like Super Mario Odyssey in a thread about animal violence seems a bit over the top.

OP
OP
Nabbit

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a huge animal lover and hate to see them abused in video games. But I think some of the inclusions in the original post seem a bit extreme.

Including a game like Super Mario Odyssey in a thread about animal violence seems a bit over the top.

I understand what you mean. I think SMO is a bit of a stretch but since it was mentioned in a post I included it. If you're curious about the reasons for the other games, please search the thread for the related posts. Some of the unlikely inclusions had legitimate reasons behind them also. (But I included the mild list for the most mild offenses.)

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
The only case of animal violence in any game I could think of that was questionable was Wolf 2. The themes mentioned above by Calvinien are certainly there, but it doesn't change that they used the cheapest and oldest trick in the book in the opening moments of the game just to have a "shocking" watercooler moment, came off entirely manipulative and unnecessarily cruel.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I don't think we are supposed to discuss this game here, but I think listing it in an animal violence thread should be OK. So I wanted to mention Postal 2 for cat, dog, and elephant violence that is definitely excessive.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
I understand what you mean. I think SMO is a bit of a stretch but since it was mentioned in a post I included it. If you're curious about the reasons for the other games, please search the thread for the related posts. Some of the unlikely inclusions had legitimate reasons behind them also. (But I included the mild list for the most mild offenses.)

Despite what I said, I hope people add to this thread. People should be able to avoid games with content they find questionable.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty 4 had enemy dogs where, if they grabbed you, the only way to prevent your death was a button prompt to break their neck as they were stood on top of you

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Early in Overlord II, the player (as the titular overlord) is tasked with slaughtering several baby seals... by sending your minions to beat them to death with clubs (i.e. how baby seals are actually slaughtered for their fur in real life). The point of the game is, of course, that you're an evil, human-slaughtering Overlord, but we found this rather distasteful and not particularly humorous, so we dropped the game.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Smash Bros: The Duck Hunt Dog and Duck are combatants
Resident Evil Series: Zombie dogs
Castlevania series: Panther/bats/frogs/wolves
Sega Bass Fishing
Any Hunting game
Any ARPG: Rats/wolves

Last edited:

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
So...is this just going to be a list of games with animal deaths?

I don't see what's "needless" or "excessive" about RDR2 or Far Cry. Unless hunting animals for meat and crafting materials somehow fits those categories.

In Far Cry 5 there is sidemission where you :

- Grind animals using a tractor with a front-blade while they are alive.

- Burn a bull alive while its in the middle of mating.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I usually can't take this kind of thing.

I'm playing Skyrim and yesterday I found a location that disturbed me a bit (Faldar's Tooth).

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
In Banjo-Tooie, Banjo uses Kazooie as a weapon and slams her onto the ground. While it is somehow commedic, it is also a bit offsetting.

snesiscool

Feb 15, 2018
I'd add Minecraft to the "mild" list considering how young some of the playerbase is. It's specifically the sounds animals make when you attack them that some people may find disturbing.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Doom? I thought the rabbit got off lightly considering the fate of pretty much all other life on Earth by the end of the game.

Oct 28, 2017
Rule of Rose

Edit: actually i take it back, didn't read the "needless depiction". that part in rule of rose is fundamental to the story

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
While I don't think several of the games on the list have gratuitous or needless violence towards animals, that dog bullshit in Life is Strange 2 made me drop the game and not come back. Disgusting and cheap.

Typhon

Oct 25, 2017

You have to kill "real" animals for upgrades.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I hated this about Life is Strange 2. Honestly pissed me off because it didn't really add anything to the story or characters.
While I don't think several of the games on the list have gratuitous or needless violence towards animals, that dog bullshit in Life is Strange 2 made me drop the game and not come back. Disgusting and cheap.

Man, and I was just about to start playing it again now that all the episodes are out. It's not that I wouldn't be able to handle it it's just if that is what they have to resort to for drama so early on then what does that say for later episodes?