• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I have been replaying in Youtube how the characters in Dragon Age Origins interact between them, and man, it is awesome. So many great lines that develop them and also make you laugh. Something that can be said about Bioware is that they excelled in that area. Baldur's Gate 2 also had some great party banter.

What other games characters interact like in Dragon Age Origins or Baldur's Gate 2? I don't recall too much about that in the first two Mass Effect (only moment in the first Mass Effect was the elevator). Mass Effect 3 had them inside the Normandy, but they weren't as memorable compared to those other two games I mentioned already.

Yeah. While I didn't really think it was the next coming of Baldur's Gate like so many espoused upon release, I really enjoyed much of the banter, especially between Morrigan and Alistair. There have been plenty of games before, and since (before was primarily just text) that have had competent party banter, but I honestly can't think of any that did it better than Baldur's Gate 1&2, Mass Effect 1&2 and Dragon Age.

Also, while not really party banter, the only other games with character interactions that were on par, if not superior would be The Witcher 2&3. Pillars of Eternity 1&2 have their moments, but I'd say they are not really as consistently good throughout.

Mass Effect.

Wrex alone can win this thread.

"Shepard..."

Neir for sure.

Also want to mention Xenobalde Chronicles 2.

Still waiting to play that, and it's one of the few reasons so far I'll be getting a Switch revision whenever that releases. Hopefully it's more party banter, and not just combat yelling like in the first Xenoblade Chronicles (which I still thought was good).

It's The Last of Us and God of War 2018 by a long shot. You guys are just not mentioning them because it's too good and crucial to the story to be considered banter, right?

Except that much of it isn't, and if not for Mimir's long winded stories, and sarcastically bowing out when being cut off, it was mostly just "boy this, boy that". And to an extent you're right. Crucial information isn't "party banter", it's key dialogue.

Dragon Age Origins is the best.

I've been meaning to replay it for a long time now with mods. Might end up doing it just because Claudia Black is so amazing in that game. It's not even so much the dialogue, but the way she delivers it. She basically made both of my original playthroughs worth the dated mechanics (they were seriously dated when it released).

Last edited:

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
MK X, MK 11, Injustice 2 and Dragon Ball Z (in story mode) have absolutely golden banter for fighting games.

Dec 5, 2017
Baldurs Gate 2 is still probably the king of this. With characters having tons of reactivity with each other and the world as well as your choices. Characters fighting each other refusing to be in the same party and even killing one another if it gets bad enough. I really liked DA:O as well like with the ashes where the religious characters will leave if you defile the ashes.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
Prince of Persia 2008

tumblr_p91tdhURqr1tw2hyao1_500.gif

tumblr_p91tdhURqr1tw2hyao2_500.gif

Elika and the Prince had an incredible fun dialogue and banters. The best thing is that it was totally interactive, you were on command of when you wanted to talk with her, so it always felt totally natural.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Dota 2

While there's not a lot of lines for each hero, they covered an impressive number of hero combinations either through lore or just similarities between character designs.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
Psychonauts was always one of my favourites for this kind of thing. Lots of cool little conversations.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't suppose anyone has ever gone through Kid Icarus Uprising and worked out what percentage of the playtime has characters chatting? I swear it must be at least 50%. It never ends (and the game is better for it).

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Well the obvious one would be Dragon Age Inquisition.

Sooooo many great banters between characters in that game too.

Especially if you pair Sera/Vivienne with the quippy ones (Bull, Dorian, Varric).

But the one that blew my mind is Solas and Cole.
Their banter suddenly makes sense (in second playthrough) because Cole know Solas true nature from the start...

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
I really like the bants in RDR2.
It feels more genuine, whereas for example in GTAV they are too overbearing with the whole satire thing.

Like when Arthur says to John at the start of one mission:
"You must be the first man to have half his brain eaten by wolves and come out smarter."
Then at the end of the mission he says:
"Next time let the wolves eat all your brain... Then you'll be a genius."

You'd never make that kind of burn these days, but I just find it to be very endearing and it makes me like the characters even more.

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Dragon Age Inquisitions right now and this is fucking great. In the other two, I never really cared for diversity of the characters. Now, I take all kinds of combinations to battle with me just to hear what they would say. Also, I just got the DLC on XBL, it's 75% off now.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It's probably been pointed out to death, but boy oh boy does Red Dead Redeption 2 have some good dialogue. I'd watch a movie with that dialogue and buy the bluray.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I remember a random conversation on Dragon Age Inquisition were Dorian gets angry and is about to insult your character,only to stop, breathe in and apoligise as he's learnt over the game to be more.friendly with the Inquisition teammates and by extension have a bit more empathy for those around him.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeĂĄ, Sweden
Bad Company 2 had idle banter that actually made me stand still to hear it all. I love these characters man.

Needs to be quoted more, the just natural act of them talking about mundane and weird shit is one of the most lovable things about these characters. It's not deep philosophy, they're not laying out their life history and try to work it through with you the protagonist, there is no long deep issue they need solvedi, it's not even often related to what's currently going on in the mission you're playing.

They just talk to pass time, like actual people. And they feel more real than any others for it.

As far as I am concerned, it is unbeaten as of today as no other game have really attempted to do the same.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
I like the banter at the star of Overwatch and Heroes of the Storm games!

NSESN

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade series
Torna in particular is Roast the Mythra The Game

VN1X

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
VERMINTIDE 2
Best. In. The. Bizz.

Like no hyperbole but it puts L4D to shame in terms of banter and only Naughty Dog's games come close.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
Ive been loving the banter/conversations in RDR2. I like how you can randomly strike small talk with your gang mates and Morgan will talk about events that recently happens (such as mission results)

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
does Fire Emblem Awakening & Fates count, for all the support conversations??
Man, I grinded our support conversations for all the characters in those games and those character quirks do not endure through that much exposure. Not to mention that some pairings really had to force it.

The first couple convos are amusing though.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
I have to cosign Prince of Persia 2008. Wonderful dialogue that was both funny and heartfelt.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
Barret losing his rag with everyone, particularly Cloud, is a highlight of FFVII. It's a shame that he inevitably gets pushed into the background as the story develops and more characters join the party, but hey, there's a reason Midgar is widely recognised as the best part of the game.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The only good writing found in any Tales of game is found on the skits, which are great.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Barret losing his rag with everyone, particularly Cloud, is a highlight of FFVII. It's a shame that he inevitably gets pushed into the background as the story develops and more characters join the party, but hey, there's a reason Midgar is widely recognised as the best part of the game.
Yeah I feel like I get attached to the initial 2-4 characters that you start the RPG adventure with since the game knows you only have a set number of characters and can script dialogue accordingly.

As more characters get added to the mix, the interactions start to feel less punchy.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Uncharted, God of War, Persona 4 and randomly the Battlefield games, I really like the interations between the soldiers even during the multiplayer, they react to things you do, levelling up etc.