• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KITPUNK

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
God of War - Mimir

Just listening to his tales while rowing, having Atreus go back and forth with him and Kratos grumbling. I would usually halt rowing for him to finish the story before hopping out.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
I think you already nailed it with Dragon Age. Both Origins and Inquisition have a great level of unique banter between the cast. I haven't played Dragon Age II yet, so I'm not sure how that stacks up in this regard.

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
It's The Last of Us and God of War 2018 by a long shot. You guys are just not mentioning them because it's too good and crucial to the story to be considered banter, right?

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
I think you already nailed it with Dragon Age. Both Origins and Inquisition have a great level of unique banter between the cast. I haven't played Dragon Age II yet, so I'm not sure how that stacks up in this regard.

Quite well actually. They did a great job with the banter in all three DA games.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
To the people saying Neir Automata, can you elaborate please? Whilst I found the over arching concept interesting, I didn't find the dialogue between 2B and 9A anything more than anime tsundere and please like me senpai/wholesome boy syndrome. Where's the amazing banter?

My one is RDR2. I could listen to Arthur Morgan chat with the camp/town folk all day.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The chemistry the Tales of Berseria cast has is pretty nuts:

Like, pretty effortlessly has all six party members participate in that conversation and play off each other.

Nasigil

Banned
Sep 3, 2018
In Witcher 3, Geralt actually have great banter with Yennefer in the time they spend together. That's what sold me on the relationship, you don't get this kind of conversation with Triss at all.

Lunaray

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the dinner scenes in Grandia

grandia10.gif

These sprites still hold up brilliantly today.

Oct 29, 2017
There's the harmless banter that happens when you put that one joker character with anybody else, and then there's the awkward banter that you get when you have party members that straight up hate each other. There's a lot of the later in Neverwinter Nights 2.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
To the people saying Neir Automata, can you elaborate please? Whilst I found the over arching concept interesting, I didn't find the dialogue between 2B and 9A anything more than anime tsundere and please like me senpai/wholesome boy syndrome. Where's the amazing banter?

I think they are referring to the original Nier, not Automata. The banter with Nier, Weiss, and Kaine was priceless.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
The Saboteur

The Brits and the French have to work together to fight the occupying Nazis but boy do they still hate each other. Relentless trash talk but hilarious.

The game is from 2009 and I still remember it

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Uncharted 1 2 and 3.
Grand Theft Auto 5
Red Dead Redemption.

Edit: How could I forget: Deus Ex

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
MK11
KoF XIII

These immediately come to mind. Each character has a distinct conversation with another. It's so good

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
This has been Bioware's bread and butter for years. Their more recent titles may miss the mark, but they've always made RPGs with banter as a core focus, since way back in Baldur's Gate 2.

Aside from that, Divinity: Original Sin 2 has amazing banter. The writing and acting in the game is so superb that I was always excited to see what characters had to say.

And in adventure games, Unavowed (by Wadjet Eye). Party members banter to each other based on location, leading to a lot of cool insights into the characters and world of Unavowed. Only bummer is that you could miss it easily if you did the quick-move feature (double-clicking to immediately transition to a new screen, ending any passive banter being played).

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
definitely not days gone. deacon & boozer have absolutely no rapport whatsoever. i've played the game for over a dozen hours, & still have no friggin' idea what these 2 guys are doing together. in a 'biker bro' set-up like this, pretty much demanding it, there's just nothing there. maybe they met online? :) ...

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017

This 1000%. Nier and Weiss, Weiss and Kaine, Nier and Kaine = so good! I can't remember Emil having as much banter as the other three.

Bioware games from ME1 onwards are also great at this in general, but I don't think anything beats DA2 for sheer density and quality of banter, even over DA:I.

If only the banter wasn't bugged so it took forever to trigger >_> even when they mostly fixed it it's still worse than pretty much every other BW game when it comes to banter triggering.

Yeah, it made DA:I a really frustrating and lonely experience for both of my playthroughs on console. ME:A seemed to tie the banter to the Nomad, so it did trigger much more frequently - I think it was pretty rare I got banter outside of the Nomad. At least it was nice to have banter again!

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
All games in the Dragon Age and Mass Effect series have great banter among any combination of party members. Yes, even Andromeda.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
Bad Company 2 had idle banter that actually made me stand still to hear it all. I love these characters man.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Naughty Dog and Rockstar games are the best at this. RDR2 being the best.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly my favorite thing about FF15.
It's great... till you realize they recorded way too little of it for how long the game is. Even worse if you're fishing, where it's not uncommon to get the same lines played back multiple times in a single session. "Noct, it wouldn't hurt to show a little emotion."

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
People naming Dragon Age over Mass Effect for this is just bonkers. I can quote multiple ME character banter moments word for word across all three games but I'm having trouble thinking of a single memorable DA interaction.

Nov 17, 2017
I love the little things characters say to each other after battle in the Xenoblade games.

My favorite:

H.B.: Follow my example, Mia, and you'll go far.

Mia: Yes sir! Almost as far as that stick up your butt...

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
Dragon age and Mass Effect series re the best in this aspect. Even the character that I hate is enjoyable to listen to their banters.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Touhou 8: Imperishable Night has some great banter between characters. Since you have to pick a team as your shot type, seeing the team mates interact between stages/bosses is awesome. My favorite is Alice/Marisa team because Alice constantly bickers with Marisa, even telling her to call Reimu a 'bitch'. It's also fun to read because they have a good sense of chemistry with each other. But this is all translated, so who knows.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
People naming Dragon Age over Mass Effect for this is just bonkers. I can quote multiple ME character banter moments word for word across all three games but I'm having trouble thinking of a single memorable DA interaction.

Whaaaaaaaaat? Origins alone have plenty of GOLD banters between, say. Morrigan and Alistair. Morrigan and Leliana. Shale with anyone else, Sten with Morrigan/Leliana/Alistair, Zevran with Wynne and Loghain, Ohgren, etc etc, both in camp and during exploration. So many good stuff in there.