• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps not right away as they had to gain some subscribers first but yes the quality of GWG dropped dramatically after Microsoft started finding success with Game Pass. There is a reason why people have been saying they should just scrap GWG every month for years now. Why would Microsoft spend money securing bigger name games for GWG when they could do it for Game Pass instead. Pretty obvious here.
I think there's likely some truth there but I also think some publishers didn't want to participate with some/all of their games either. or were asking too much than what MS was willing to pay especially as these games became BC and gamers got to keep these games for good.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
At least give us some nice games for the last batches, but yeah this was inevitable.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ah this sucks

I've only had an Xbox since late 2020 so I was loving these

I wouldn't even care if they just kept doing repeats from now on

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
Instead of stopping, why not just cycle through the ones that were part of the service before?

Would publishers reject that?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately I would totally buy that publishers just aren't interested in whatever Microsoft's willing to pay at this point, which is probably not a ton. I'll miss them though, especially since you actually get to keep 360 games forever but not Xbox One games.

There were a bunch of years in the pre-Game Pass days where I wasn't subscribed so I'd also love repeats, but I'd assume that would require new deals and thus be very unlikely to happen.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So 4 more free 360 games then, 2 in Aug and 2 in September, and then it ends

Dec 11, 2017
Xbox 360 games are the only Games with Gold I download, because you get to keep them regardless of Xbox Live subscription status.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, unfortunately I would totally buy that publishers just aren't interested in whatever Microsoft's willing to pay at this point, which is probably not a ton. I'll miss them though, especially since you actually get to keep 360 games forever but not Xbox One games.

There were a bunch of years in the pre-Game Pass days where I wasn't subscribed so I'd also love repeats, but I'd assume that would require new deals and thus be very unlikely to happen.
It's why I'm glad I've been a subscriber since Games with Gold started and built a library of 360 games through this service not knowing they would become BC on future consoles and I would still play and enjoy today.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Damn, those are often the only ones I bother to claim.

The reasoning makes sense though, it was going to happen eventually.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Someone said its been repeating games from a few years ago the past few months. After reading that, and some of the posts in here...the way its been lately they should either start adding games to it that are perpetually on Game Pass... just end it all together.

oni-link

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Maybe we'll see the 360 games that would've ended up on GWG turn up as GP games from October

Probably an easier sell to convince a publisher to accept money to put a game on GP for a year than to let MS give it away forever for a few weeks

shancake

Managing Editor ‑ Press Start
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just received in my inbox.

press-start.com.au

Xbox Games with Gold Will No Longer Include Xbox 360 Games From October

Xbox Games with Gold Will No Longer Include Xbox 360 Games From October

"Our Games with Gold selections will be changing soon:

From 1 October 2022, the monthly games provided to Xbox Game Pass Ultimate and Xbox Live Gold members via Games with Gold will no longer include Xbox 360 titles.

We have reached the limit of our ability to bring Xbox 360 games to the catalogue; however, Games with Gold will continue to include exciting Xbox One titles and exclusive savings each month."

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we'll see the 360 games that would've ended up on GWG turn up as GP games from October

Probably an easier sell to convince a publisher to accept money to put a game on GP for a year than to let MS give it away forever for a few weeks
This highlights another reason why I said...and I said this before this year....why didnt MS just expand on GwG vs creating a whole new service with Game Pass.

It almost feels like a somewhat or possible complicated issue for no reason.

Damien1990

May 23, 2020
So this suggests that Games with Gold is sticking around, but the offerings are just going to get even worst...

For the past four months they've been repeating previous 360 offerings so this news doesn't surprise me.

MX vs ATV Alive (Xbox 360) Jan 2015 announcement, Apr 2022 announcement
Hydro Thunder Hurricane (Xbox 360) Sep 2017 announcement, May 2022 announcement
Super Meat Boy (Xbox 360) June 2016 announcement, June 2022 announcement
Torchlight (Xbox 360) Aug 2019 announcement, July 2022 announcement

Guess the choice was between continuing to do that (which they never formally announced they were doing), or just scrapping the 360 offerings altogether.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
I thought they had no possible way to make GWG even worse
i was wrong
😂

Well, maybe they can make up for it on the Xbox One/Series side by just offering more and better there.

For the past four months they've been repeating previous 360 offerings so this news doesn't surprise me.

MX vs ATV Alive (Xbox 360) Jan 2015 announcement, Apr 2022 announcement
Hydro Thunder Hurricane (Xbox 360) Sep 2017 announcement, May 2022 announcement
Super Meat Boy (Xbox 360) June 2016 announcement, June 2022 announcement
Torchlight (Xbox 360) Aug 2019 announcement, July 2022 announcement

Guess the choice was between continuing to do that (which they never formally announced they were doing), or just scrapping the 360 offerings altogether.
Oh, wow. I didn't realize this because I just got into the ecosystem this year. That's pretty crazy. I guess they really are "out" of eligible games. Also… just feeding Game Pass is probably a way bigger goal rn.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
That sucks. I wonder if that includes original xbox games as well because there are some real retro gems they could add.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Be nice if the Xbox One games "given away" were actually like "given" to us like the 360 games were and we didn't need to keep our subscription to keep playing them, but I guess that's wishful thinking.
I mean, we are getting close to where people can comfortably call last gen "last gen" now, I think?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017

ROMASS

One Winged Slayer
Oct 15, 2018
I'm a bit annoyed they gave away MGSV for One but not for 360

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gold is still a massive profit driver, why would they ever end it when they were planning on doubling the price last year?

I'm not saying it's in Microsoft's best interests to let it go. I'm just saying that it's no longer a good value proposition for consumers in 2022.

I have to imagine that it will go at some point, when Game Pass Ultimate is ubiquitous. But that's probably several years down the line.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
I'm not saying it's in Microsoft's best interests to let it go. I'm just saying that it doesn't really benefit consumers in 2022.

I have to imagine that it will go at some point, when Game Pass Ultimate is ubiquitous. But that's probably several years down the line.
Even if GPU is ubiquitous, if there are tens of millions of people paying $60 a year then it does not make sense to drop it. The scenario where base GP is required for mp games is actually more likely than turning it free.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
I'm not saying it's in Microsoft's best interests to let it go. I'm just saying that it's no longer a good value proposition for consumers in 2022.

Even if GPU is ubiquitous, if there are tens of millions of people paying $60 a year then it does not make sense to drop it. The scenario where base GP is required for mp games is actually more likely than turning it free.
Also, even if those tens of millions all bump up to Gamepass Ultimate, having Gold there as the "medium popcorn" tier makes GPU's "large popcorn" tier more desirable by just existing.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
They'd better hurry up and give away Assassin's Creed Brotherhood before then. They've given away the entire 360 entries except for that one, and I've been holding out so I can continue.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't redeemed one of these Games With Gold in like a year. They're almost always bargain bin stuff. I wouldn't notice or even mind if they just ditched the free games altogether.

Last edited:

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not even an X-Box player and that's ridiculous. Companies need to get better at preservation and drop this weird expiration date mentality.

Imagine not being able to watch Citizen Kane, Nosferatu, or The Wizard of Oz in 2022.
I think you've misread, they're just going to stop giving away 360 games with Games with Gold starting in October.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can only scrape the bottom of the barrel for so long lol

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not surprised, every announcement it met with calls to just kill it or let it die.

I'm still disappointed though, The 360/OG titles were usually the ones I was excited to get, and I'm not expecting the Xbox One games offered to improve at all.

Welfare

Prophet of Truth - You’re my Numberwall
Oct 26, 2017
They better up the XB1 games or start including a Series X/S game.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long they've been holding on that after the backslash when they tried doubling the price.