• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Recore and the Order:1866

Recore started out as this awesome psuedo open world platformer/collecathon game that was tons of fun but then his this weird gate like 60% through the game. It was like the developer ran out of time to create what they wanted and just threw these gates up to pad out what work they had done.

Order:1866 started out incredibly promising, great graphics, neat story, interesting world and characters and some half decent cover shooting with neat weapons but about 60% through the game it took a huge turn for the worse with some terrible stealth sections, some really bad/poorly designed shooting sections in the latter and then an abrupt head scratching ending that made you feel like you just beat a lengthy prologue.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Indigo Prophecy is the winner for this, though it does go so far off the rails that I still wanted to finish it just to see how deep the rabbit hole would go.

The original Half Life gets this for Xen alone, but even before then it started to weaken after the big set pieces with the soldiers.

For recent RPGs, Bravely Default has the whole time cycle bit which while I didn't feel was horrible, it was certainly less interesting than the buildup to that point and I know a lot of people were completely turned off the game by it. Ending was solid enough but that cycle stretch just dragged it down.

Final Fantasy VI.

A great first half building to a climax usurped with a devastating twist. Then the second half is aimless chores. Of course by then I was extremely tired of the mediocre combat, high random encounter rate, and a cast of characters I wasn't particularly attached to, so the second half probably never had a chance.

I YouTubed the final few dungeons to escape the encounter rate tedium.

I'm guessing you first played this in modern times? World of Ruin is all about exploration rather than linear story, so some people vastly prefer it over World of Balance depending on taste. As a kid I loved both worlds, but for very different reasons. I can see how the combat would feel like a drag in modern times - I guess when you're a kid that gets two games a year a lot of random battles doesn't phase you =)

Terraria.

Huge, RNG world. Promises of a unique experience noone else has experienced before. A lot of content to sift through.

However, as cool as those first 3-5 hours are, the systems begin to get repetitive over time and then, I usually just drop the game before hitting endgame.

Same for me. Really cool for a bit, then it turned into a bit of a grind.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
In recent memory I felt this the most with Breath of the Wild. Magical opening hours, loved exploring the plateau, then you glide off and get a first taste of the overworld, but slowly but surely the magic evaporated for me. I kept hoping for the shrines to impress me, but they could not make up for the lack of dungeons. I shouldn't even have grinded them all out, looking back that was a waste of time.

Also last year I had this with Carrion. Great premise and at first it's fun to play around with your prey, but it's crazy how boring playing as The Thing gets further on. I had to drag myself through the game even though it's pretty short.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Control is an example of this. The game starts promising and mysterious, but ends up doing nothing in the final hours of the game. The last chapter is the biggest anticlimax I've experienced in gaming. The game ended whilst it felt like the story still had 30% to go.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
I'm guessing you first played this in modern times? World of Ruin is all about exploration rather than linear story, so some people vastly prefer it over World of Balance depending on taste. As a kid I loved both worlds, but for very different reasons. I can see how the combat would feel like a drag in modern times - I guess when you're a kid that gets two games a year a lot of random battles doesn't phase you =)

I think that's a fair assessment and I'm sure there's plenty of JRPGs I played as a kid with encounter rates I probably wouldn't be able to stomach today. And your guess is correct - I played VI about five years ago.

Control is an example of this. The game starts promising and mysterious, but ends up doing nothing in the final hours of the game. The last chapter is the biggest anticlimax I've experienced in gaming. The game ended whilst it felt like the story still had 30% to go.

Control is weird because I think outside of the Ashtray Maze all the interesting parts of the game are side content. I mean hell 90% of the boss fights in the game are in optional side quests while the main quest ends in a horde mode!

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Control is weird because I think outside of the Ashtray Maze all the interesting parts of the game are side content. I mean hell 90% of the boss fights in the game are in optional side quests while the main quest ends in a horde mode!
The side content was great. It's weird that most of the bosses were in the side content instead of the main story which lacked good boss fights.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4 - The story

Starts off with a great premise then completely shits the bed in the last act and just turns into fan fiction wet dreams come to fruition.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Don't hang me!
Interesting, I feel it's the exact opposite. Xenoblade 2 has a somewhat slow start that takes a while to ramp up, especially compared to how quickly Xenoblade 1 hooks the player with some early dramatic story moments. But the final third of Xenoblade 2 is where it really starts firing on all cylinders in terms of plot, character arcs, and gameplay and I think the ending is the strongest component of the game.

Cubs017

Mar 16, 2020
I feel like the last few Assassin's Creed games are fun in the beginning, then you have to go through dozens of hours of rather mediocre content, then they get interesting again at the end.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Interesting, I feel it's the exact opposite. Xenoblade 2 has a somewhat slow start that takes a while to ramp up, especially compared to how quickly Xenoblade 1 hooks the player with some early dramatic story moments. But the final third of Xenoblade 2 is where it really starts firing on all cylinders in terms of plot, character arcs, and gameplay and I think the ending is the strongest component of the game.

As someone who just started Xenoblade 2, I think the start has plenty of dramatic moments to hook you, lol.

Everything from getting on the ancient ship to Nia getting captured which is where I'm at has been almost nonstop plot movement

jimtothehum

Mar 23, 2018
How about some old school? Turok 2 had some really good scripted events at the beginning that blew me away at the time... then they kinda disappeared.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The most recent one that comes to mind for me is Control.

I was so pulled into that world for the first few hours. The mysteriousness of The Oldest House. The questions around what the Bureau of Control was all about. The janitor. The questions of how Jesse arrived there and why. The weapons, powers, and how to use them...

But by the end of it? I just wanted it to end, for the most part. Game went on too long, became less and less interesting as more questions were answered, and just generally felt more cookie cutter in the latter half than it did in the beginning.

Still a solid 7.5/10 game for me, but in the beginning I thought it might've been an all-time great.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Metal Gear Solid 4 - The story

Starts off with a great premise then completely shits the bed in the last act and just turns into fan fiction wet dreams come to fruition.
Come on. The game was fan fiction wet dream since the beginning lol. It was consistent with bizarre it was. I still would love another game like that.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
First one that came to mind was Mafia III. Absolutely phenomenal first ~4 hours or so... but then you realize that the rest of the game is just mostly repeating the exact same things you just did with no variance.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Come on. The game was fan fiction wet dream since the beginning lol. It was consistent with bizarre it was. I still would love another game like that.

Nah man the "music video" fight and the wedding put it over the top and also Snake magically
doesn't die after all the foreshadowing of the foxdie virus and crawling through a literal microwave.
Nah man, it got bad with the fan fiction going against the starting setup.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who just started Xenoblade 2, I think the start has plenty of dramatic moments to hook you, lol.

Everything from getting on the ancient ship to Nia getting captured which is where I'm at has been almost nonstop plot movement
It's all pretty subjective, and I don't really have an issue with it myself, more just going off criticism I've seen before. The combat is a lot more limited in the early game and opens up gradually. Chapter 4 is generally seen as the game's "low point" but even that's subjective, as it's when the game focuses more on humor and plot set up for a while before really going in for the second half.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
There were a few for me:
  • Persona 5 - fantastic first act, then immediately falls off a cliff afterwards.
  • Astral Chain - gameplay wise, it fell off at chapter 8 with the section that's just a bunch of minigames (which are optional, but it was the tipping point that made me decide I wasn't going to play it for ranks because the minigames are ranked like combat is for some god forsaken reason). Story wise, it should have ended after chapter 9 with the fight against Jena Anderson, because it completely devolves into utter nonsense afterward, and the plot was already pretty nonsensical to begin with, so...
  • Bravely Default - same as everyone else: once it goes Endless Eight on the player.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Playing Halo 2 recently and it fits this to a T

The first like 5 levels are amazing! The station, New Mombasa, Arbiter, Delta Halo, Regret

and then it falls off once the flood take over the narrative with some really annoying levels like....the rest lol. It becomes better to just run past encounters than to engage because the flood come in waves and are sometimes overwhelming or come at you with surprise! rockets. They are just not as fun. Not even the brutes are really that fun either and all the levels aren't as well designed as the first half.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The Outer Worlds comes to mind. It started pretty strong, but then became weaker and more boring as you played.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not sure why some people mention Mass Effect 3. It really did not have a strong start. The first Earth mission is just horrible to go through everytime and people just love to make fun of the stupid kid that somehow traumatized Shepard enough to have nightmares despite meeting him for like 30 seconds. Thankfully it got better once you reach Mars.
The game does have a pretty strong middle though.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why some people mention Mass Effect 3. It really did not have a strong start. The first Earth mission is just horrible to go through everytime and people just love to make fun of the stupid kid that somehow traumatized Shepard enough to have nightmares despite meeting him for like 30 seconds. Thankfully it got better once you reach Mars.
The game does have a pretty strong middle though.
You could say the Mass Effect trilogy as a whole, though 2 is my favorite of the 3.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Dunno if it's just my personality or whatever but like 99% of games I never finish due to this. Its why I play so many roguelikes I guess

Sep 29, 2020
Brutal Legend has a fantastic first hour, then here comes the rts part which leads to a good couple of hours until the emo stuff sets in and the writing goes to hell

Nov 16, 2017
The Outer Worlds, the first planet and such is great. But it just falls off after that.
I was going to mention these two, but y'all summed it up well. It's a shame because I really enjoyed these two. My contribution will be Alan Wake (hello Remedy Games!). I adore the game and would put it in my personal top 10, but feel the game loses the well done haunted atmosphere after the concert in favor of an action-horror title.

Samawati

Sep 15, 2019
The controversial one is FF7R, sorry but that is how I feel.
I wouldn't even call it controversial. Start out with the bombing mission, and then the plot immediately comes to a squealing halt as you're made to run around doing mindless tasks that make absolutely no sense within the story (gets to truly absurd levels in Chapter 8 with the flower picking) and suffer bloated, filler-padded renditions of what was (originally) few minute sequences.

And this is the theme of the entire game.

Weird, pointless ghost story? Bizarre Deep Ground reference (that no one wanted) that lasts hours? Chasing around sewer animals (in the same sewers you already spent hours in) for a key? Yet another dungeon invented whole-cloth that is worse and less effective than the empty corridor crawl it replaced? The entire last seven or so hours of the game is essentially a very obnoxious boss rush that you're praying will finally end. The only thing I enjoyed about VIIR was the combat, and it got worn so thin by filler that even that got annoying. Does not help that the story takes a running leap off a cliff.

Last edited:

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I'm going to say Dark Souls. It starts out pretty well and is even relatively easy with the Undead Burg, Undead Parish and Lower Undead Burg, but afterwards I feel like it just begins to fall apart. The map branches out in several places making it hard to know where to go, Blighttown is just a pretty bad area (Quelaag was a good boss though) and there's no real coherency to the map afterwards.

Macross

Nov 5, 2017
USA
I wouldn't even call it controversial. Start out with the bombing mission, and then the plot immediately comes to a squealing halt as you're made to run around doing mindless tasks that make absolutely no sense within the story (gets to truly absurd levels in Chapter 8 with the flower picking) and suffer bloated, filler-padded renditions of what was (originally) few minute sequences.

And this is the theme of the entire game.

Weird, pointless ghost story? Bizarre Deep Ground reference (that no one wanted) that lasts hours? Chasing around sewer animals (in the same sewers you already spent hours in) for a key? Yet another dungeon invented whole-cloth that is worse and less effective than the empty corridor crawl it replaced? The entire last seven or so hours of the game is essentially a very obnoxious boss rush that you're praying will finally end. The only thing I enjoyed about VIIR was the combat, and it got worn so thin by filler that even that got annoying. Does not help that the story takes a running leap off a cliff.
I think there are a lot of people who would disagree and call it their GOTY. I feel pretty much how you summed it up myself, so at least there are a few who agree it seems.

pbatty89

Banned
Mar 11, 2020
from recent memory. RE7. after the point where you are in the garage it goes rubbish. fighting black blobs for the rest of the game.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Probably Last of Us 2.

Loved it for the 1st half but then it really dragged on

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Star Wars: Jedi: Fallen Order starts really solid with tight action gameplay and an interesting story premise.

It gets incredibly stale though once you start hopping between planets - without the set piece moments, the gameplay is extraordinarily dull.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
I feel many recent Ubisoft games suffer from this, since they are too long to keep feeling fresh and engaging. First 20 or 30 hours are great, but then you have to do 80 more that are very unsurprising after what you just played.

Tortillo VI

May 27, 2018
The Outer Worlds, the first planet and such is great. But it just falls off after that.
So true. Painfully true even.
I couldn't finish after starting three times. I feel the progression and loot are super basic too, as well as enemy and encounter variety. All together really bring it down after the first area.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
One of the few genres that doesn't fall into this problem are Metroidvanias or Metroid-likes whatever you want to call them. Seems like as you progress they usually get better and better, as you get more abilities you're able to explore more and you feel more powerful; Metroid Prime, Hollow Knight etc... My recent example is Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order.

But for me, BotW, Dark Souls and Demon Souls falls into this problem imo. Demon Souls was pretty meh by end game.

Last edited: