• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
The Outer Worlds starts well enough but completely craters the further you progress. And pretty much any mainline Resident Evil game too; 7 is particularly egregious in this regard. The quality starts dropping hard after the Marguerite boss fight.

DonnieTC

Apr 10, 2019
Most recently that I've played? RE7. Amazing start but it drags and the last few hours I was just rushing to get through it.

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Fahrenheit (indigo prophecy) is seriously one of the coolest opening hours in a game, but it completely shits the bed after.

David Cage has never equaled those opening moments

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
XV's ending still manages to absolutely flop.

Ifrit and Ardyn are great fights, there's touching moments with your boys and then it ends with a romantic 'reunion' with a character Noctis barely had any interaction with nor had any chemistry with. If you're trying to be VIII, put in at least the modicum of work god
Agreed, they definitely earned the sentimental moments with his friends at the end, but the attention given with their relationship to everyone else, particularly Luna was pretty bad. Speaks to the time constraints they were under. I guess I'm Glad they at least prioritized making some relationships as developed as they could.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Indigo Prophecy: the thread. That first stage was pretty dope...then....what...?

I have never seen a game fall off so dramatically. Part of it is that the diner section doesn't have to worry about cashing in the cheque but nothing later approaches the density of variability even if most of it is an illusion.

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
8 years ago and this is would be a Mass Effect 3 thread.

MGSV was the worst for me in recent memory. The gutting realisation that the game is an empty shell after so much promise.

Oct 25, 2017
For me it's definitely Mafia 3. I remember starting it and playing for about 5 hours and thinking that it wasn't nearly as bad as everyone claimed, even found it quite enjoyable. Got to like 15 hours in and I was bored as fuck, which is unfortunate because I was still very interested in the story.

Vandova

Feb 14, 2018
Grandia 3, after a certain someone leaves the party the game loses a lot momentum like it was rushed. Sill enjoyed the battle system.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Genshin Impact.
The first 70-80 hours (basically the size and time of a big, complete game) were one of the best JRPGs (this one being made in China though) that I have ever played and my GOTY of 2020. A vast, beautiful world to freely explore, super fun and flashy combat, a decent main story, some great character side stories and gorgeous music that I could listen to for hours on end. And all that for free!
However, after the Liyue story wraps up and when you enter a loop of one time game events, that mostly haven't been great so far, and levelling new characters and their gear up, the gameplay quality drops harshly. Instead of a great single player game you are now playing a not so great live service game.
At the moment I am not having much fun and I mostly feel obliged to keep on playing to not miss out on whatever I could possibly miss out on. I have hopes that future events and then proper updates with new nations and new story will bring back the fun and excitement I had for the first 80 hours though. We'll see. :)
Damn if I can get 70 hours of solid game from a jrpg (or really any game) then sign me up. That doesn't seem very common. Maybe dragon quest?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 3 and the Jungle planet. Really most borderlands around 2/3rds you are just backtracking and doing busy work

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
Everybody says this but I never feel it. I like the transition into the "labs" section.
I have been speedrunning the Claire A scenario for the last two months and boy, the sewer part is easily the worst part of the game. Luckily it doesn't last long, but it's such a slog before things pick up in the lab.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
With all the people saying Civilization, maybe we need an "Ancient Civilization" spinoff that focuses on recreating the magic of the early game across a entire playthrough. That could be interesting if it was successful. IV and V both got spinoffs so maybe we will see one for Civ VI as well.

Dragon age 2.

I do enjoy the start, and the introduction to all the characters and the main conflict.

then you find out how many locations/enemies/etc are reused and well, it starts to go downhill in everything but story/characters, though your siblings will forever be morons.
This one takes a big shit on most of the answers here. I remember playing and being like "Wow! Why was this recieved so poorly, it's great!" and then it just ends. The run up to the end isn't even that great. Still like the game but I've never been enjoying a game so much only to have it take a giant dump on my enjoyment.

Oct 26, 2017
Virtually every Sonic game, but especially 1, 2, Generations, and Mania. Sonic 1 only has one stage worth caring about and the other three lose the plot at some point late in the game. (Metropolis and its shitty hitboxes in 2, Planet Wisp and the final two bosses in Generations, nearly the entire second half of Mania.)

Sonic 3 and Knuckles is probably the only one that has both a good start and a good end, and that's because most of the mediocre bits are stuffed into the second half of the Sonic 3 stages instead.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
The Outer Worlds, started off great, then became the definition of an average game by mid way point and pretty terrible at the end

I was hooked early by this game and was filled with wonder at the potential of this new, rich universe.

the further you progress the more the magic wears off. The later worlds are flat, lifeless and boring. The plot comes to a juddering halt.

it needed more time in the oven

Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Adventure 2.
City Escape is legitimately one of the finest pieces of 3D game design that Sonic Team has ever created.
It's so fun to play and the music and aesthetics are on point, but once that's over it's onto to those awful mech stages with their clunky movement and janky TPS gameplay followed by boring treasure hunting stages with the most shallow 3D collectathon gameplay ever conceived.
And, honestly, even Sonic's speedy platforming stages lose almost all of their steam very quickly; the level design starts feeling kind of generic and same-y once you hit Metal Harbor, the remaining stages simply lack the energy, gameplay variety, and stream of new ideas that City Escape offers up.

OP
OP
Graven

Graven

Oct 30, 2018
Civilization. Pretty much all the games in the series just stop being interesting to play about halfway through.

For what it's worth, you've been able to turn that option off for years now. If you quit because of it, it might be worth trying again.
I finished the game, Radiant Mode kinda fixes that, but i wanted to play the game in it's original difficulty level per say.

Hopefully, part 2 will be a little more convenient late game.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Final Fantasy XV.

Amazing set-up.

Not so amazing pretty much everything else.
I'd agree with this. I wouldn't say the start is amazing but it was enough for me to give it a shot, then it just turns to shit.

The Outer Worlds, started off great, then became the definition of an average game by mid way point and pretty terrible at the end
oh damn yeah this game is the poster boy for this issue. I thought the first world was a bit interesting but then got to Monarch (?) and realised I had seen all the game had to show me. what a massive fall.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Battlefield 3/4 if I remember right. Both started with spectacle and devolved into virtually nothing.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I felt this way most recently about Yakuza: Like a Dragon. The opening couple chapters do a phenomenal job introducing a story, setting up the character of Ichiban and making the player understand who he is. The turn based combat seems novel and dynamic at first.

After maybe a dozen or two hours in and story starts to lull here and there. It picks up again in the back half of the game, but then towards the end the combat really wears out its welcome and the game sets you on a forced grind a few chapters before the ending.

I also feel this way about some weaker SRPGs/strategy games pretty often, because they often have these huge maps closer to the end of the game and the mechanics just stop being as fun to engage with. Wargroove had this problem, and I think Ghost Recon Shadow Wars did too.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2, the last couple of chapters were pretty weak in my opinion. And I thought the epilogue was pretty unecessary.
The ending itself was pretty good though.

Irene

Feb 22, 2021
Feels strange to be the first one writing this because I always thought Bioshock Infinite was in the conversation pretty commonly.

It starts out... wow. Like, ultra wow. The ascent into Columbia always takes my breath away. It's so beautiful, so imaginative. It's an amazing, amazing location, I daresay one of the most stunning video game environments of that year.

Then you're handed a gun and told to mow down everything you see.

Sigh.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
God of War 3 is the epitome of this topic. It had one of the best introductory twenty minutes ever, only to go completely downhill after that. The first The Evil Within too. The first few chapters and then a single later one were pretty good, but the last third just went off the rails into RE5 and RE6 territory.

MechaMarmaset

Nov 20, 2017
Every open world game. You never just stop after the story and go, "well that was good." You do the rest of the side missions, then some of less substantial content, and then you're left with the collectathon filler crap. And your last impression of the game always feels like this:

Randroid

Oct 28, 2017
The Messenger has a pretty clear point where things... change and not for the better. Funnily enough, all achievements I got after that point were 'rare', so I think most people dropped off at that point and I can't blame them. Second half just doesn't really work.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Killzone: Shadowfall was like this for me. First few levels were really open and fun, but then it just became a standard corridor shooter

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Every open world game. You never just stop after the story and go, "well that was good." You do the rest of the side missions, then some of less substantial content, and then you're left with the collectathon filler crap.

I don't wait until I've finished the main story to do the side stuff, because I know I'll not waste my time on them after the main quest/campaign has ended. What's the point? I don't care about "gamer street cred" or whatever platinums and such are supposed to provide, so there's no reason for me to make sure I mop up every last collectible, or FedEx "quest". Probably why I can't stand the majority of open-world games as it is. There's always the argument that one can "just ignore them", but then you're still saddled with the world that was designed around them.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Persona 5 skyrockets for like 10-20 hours then slowly descends and finally crashes at the
boat dungeon.
and maybe I'm being generous there, you could easily make an argument it crashes at
the space dungeon.
I was ready to disagree... But yeah,
the space dungeon was the first dungeon I put down and came back to later because it was dumb.
, it picked right back up for me after that though

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Final Fantasy IX

Discs 1-2 and the beginning of Disc 3 when you are defending Alexandria are absolutely fantastic.

By the end of the game it was barely recognizable to me as the adventure I started.

Caped Baldy

Dec 11, 2017

Yesss, I was so hyped for Obsidian to do something totally on their own. This game made me realize that maybe they just aren't as good as I thought they were? Halfway through the game I picked up a bog standard assault rifle that I put a bit of money into, and the DPS was consistently better than any other weapons I picked up right through the end. That gun was the literal representation of the game. Starts off as an 8 or nine, and very quickly became barely a 7 by the time I was done. I really hope Microsoft gets more involved with them so they can plan development better.

MGS V.
Started with a bang, but the story got very dull and boring after that, I dropped completely after a while.

The third act is literally missing. Can't think of a better "falls off later" example than that. They just make you go back to the same areas again and again for non-story missions. Fuck, what a slog.

ReverseFate

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jedi Fallen Order for me. The game just dragged as time goes on, and enemies because more and more tedious to deal with.

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Prey, went from a System Shock 2 game like to a freaking shooter runner and became god like even on the hardest difficulty.

NavyPharaoh

Oct 27, 2017
Most games but i have to disagree with Ghosts of Tsushima. I thought the 1st third was rather dull, but it picked up as time went on until the dramatic ending. I'm glad I didn't drop the game early like I wanted to.