• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
Languages, accents, regionally, dialects, slang etc we speak differently but sometimes it's amusing.
Suppose you know a game and know how its name is allegedly pronounced and one day you hear someone say it differently or just plain wrong (to your ears or otherwise).

I grew up hearing Suupaa Mario Burazasu and Super Mario Bros (not brothers).
Hearing a relative call Mario, Mary-O, was neat to hear.

Another one.
I only knew this title in print or in Japanese but when I heard a video game journalist say the title of it in a video, it sounded like he said "squeaker dong." Suikoden
I couldn't recognize what it was until years later when he wrote about it in print.

And one of mine, I believe I called the shooter company, Toaplan, TopLan for far too long.
I have far too many of my own.

What have you said or heard that's amusing?

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not to do with language but for the longest time I pronounced Live-A-Live as Live (as in living) Alive lol

vinicius

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
'Bom de Guerra', the thread.

Here in Brazil it was really common for people to pronounce "Good" of War instead of God of War. Specially during the PS2 era. That's a running joke now.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
The obvious one is Deus Ex.

But even I mispronounce it and I don't care. Deuce Ex sounds way better than "dAyUs Ex".

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
ICO is still eye-coh instead of ee-coh
Suikoden is still Sookoh-den.
I still say Nier Auto-mata instead of Aww-tomma-ta.

Old habits die hard

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
If somebody could tell me the correct way to say Suikoden, I'd appreciate it. And I'm not joking. A friend of mine introduced me to the game and called it "Sue Kaiden" and that pronunciation is just imprinted on my brain, no matter how wrong it obviously is.

OP
OP
ThorHammerstein

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Shin Megami Tense-eye - should be Shin Megami Tense-ayy
Nier Ought Tomato - I would think should be Nier Ought Tom uh tuh

Bonus from when I used to work in a game store, from kids: Grand Theft Auto Eye Vee

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
I shudder to think how badly I butchered saying Suikoden back in '96 when I bought it.

Oh, also Shining Force: Sword of Hajya.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

But even I mispronounce it and I don't care. Deuce Ex sounds way better than "dAyUs Ex".
I jokingly call it "Do Sex" sometimes because of the Beavis and Butthead-ass snickering, but I normally pronounce it correctly.

Izanagi89

Oct 27, 2017

Hearing the Nintendo person pronounce the name when it was announced was a massive shock to my system.

I think I misinterpreted it as, Live a life, as there were many characters you could live their lives in the game.

I think that's a good interpretation. Kind of had a similar train of thought where it was like this big story but all the characters had their own lives and tales, so they were like, alive lol

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I haven't been that bad with game names that I remember...

But names in games? Chocobo will always haunt me with Cocobo

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
When I was a kid, I refered to Donkey Kong as "Donking Kong". This was pretty common in here, to be honest!
My friends would say "Winnyleven" instead of Winning Eleven.
More recently, Arceus. There's no "K" sound in there and you can't change my mind.

sugarless

Nov 2, 2017
In the SNES era I always pronounced Mana from Secret of Mana like "May-na", not "Man-na", having never heard that word said, and even though I know better now it's very hard to correct myself.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will say this, Final Fantasy XV should be on a list for crimes committed against Latin.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I never mispronounced it but I still can't get over it's Balan Worldworld. It'll always be Wonderland to me.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I hear Shenmue mispronounced so much - mainly as either Shenmew or Shenmooee... Like, its title is said in the game (well, second game) and the Japanese character for the last part of the title is literally "MU" (pronounced MOO) so its annoying how it still gets mispronounced. Then again that's par of the course for Japanese stuff... Ryu (from Street Fighter) still suffers from it - from RI-OO, to ROO, and everything inbetween...

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Pretty much everyone seems to pronounce Okami as OkAmi (emphasis on A), even though every time you start the game the voice is saying Okami (emphasis on O).

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Me and my friends used to naturally call Quake "Kuake" and of course pronounced it the Finnish way. There isn't a single native word in Finnish language that would have q in it. Plenty of Finnish people I talk about it these days still pronounce it like that, childhood habits die hard I think.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
In Mexico, I've heard "Gears of War" said with a hard g (like "jeers" of war), and Tomb Raider as if it were written in Spanish... Tomb pronounced like the name Tom, with a b at the end, Raider like "Rider", with the rolled R. I'm pretty sure most people know they're saying this last one wrong but I guess it's just stuck lol.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
I thought it was mee - troid before the clerk at the store looked at me funny and taught me it was metro - id

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
A buddy of mine used to say Phone-Ix Wright. Instead of Phoenix Wright. Other than that, maybe "Pokymon" does that count? That's the only title I can think of hearing frequently.

Oct 28, 2017
This is my time to shine!
Years ago, I worked at a GameStop and would hear these all the time from confused parents. Here are my favorites:

• Ghost Recon = Ghost Racoon
  • Assassins Creed = Assassins Cream or Assassins Creek
  • Onimusha Warlords = Amish Warlords

limone

Feb 4, 2022
Italy

As an Italian used to Latin pronounced the way it's written, I heard "dAyUs Ex" on the latest EZA podcast and I didn't get what game they were talking about for some time.