• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Platformers
Open-World
Games with stamina meters
Games with randomized/low % drop rates but are single player
Games where the difficulty balance/rewards are not worth doing at a higher level.

In general though I more often than not play on easy these days if there is an option. I'm in particular a fan of games that let you switch at anytime without penalty. There is just too much to play to bash my head against the wall when there is an enjoyable way to do things comfortably.

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
If I struggle too much I just dont have anynmore enough time or patience.... or in general strategy games because I just suck at them...

DJtal

Oct 30, 2017
Capetown / South Africa
All of them, sue me. Seriously I have little time to play videogames. And really, it's not a job, I play for fun. One of the reason I never cared about achievements or trophies. I get that in real life, enough for me.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I usually play Easy Mode in games after I already beat it on normal/hard especially if I'm only in it for the story. Example is Prey which I didn't really care for the combat so I played it on Story Mode to experience the Story and the same for The Witcher 3. I eventually found out that you can make TW3 pretty easy on many difficulties by speccing certain ways. I think the last time I played it on normal or hard and was just so OP with whatever talent combination I was using. Again, a game which I really didn't care for the combat so I was just in it for the story. Games that I really really love the combat or if I'm trying to get all the trophies/achievements then I'll play it on harder difficulties. Obviously you can't change the difficulty in Dark Souls but if it was easier it would ruin the sense of accomplishment and the addictiveness of progressing.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Not many because a lot of my fun in games comes from "solving" the challenges that they present. I don't follow this idea that more overpowered equals more fun.

I'll do it if I feel overwhelmed by normal and easy still taxes me in someway. For me thats usually complex strategy games where I feel too stupid for normal or hardcore shooters as I'm a terrible aim.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Bravely Default 2. The Asterisk battles are so fucking hard.

I also sometimes like to put Oblivion/Skyrim on the easiest setting because it turns you into an unstoppable god.

Chippewa Barr

Aug 8, 2020
Final Fantasy games and basically every insanely long and/or grindy JRPG...I just love the stories and like to cruise through.

For all the FF ones with remakes/remasters I even use the assists like 3x speed, 9999, and sometimes turn off encounters depending on how lazy I am 👀

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
If there's no trophy/achievement tied to difficulty I'll usually drop it down to easy if I find the normal mode to be too Grindy or difficult.

Recently played Persona 5 Strikers on easy and enjoyed it much more that way.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
Most of them, especially the western ones where I find controls too floaty and combat not that satisfying. Bayonetta games are some of rare few I play on Hard.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
If the difficulty only affects combat and it is not one of the rare instances where I like the combat (Platinum Games, SRPGs, Pikmin), I'll use the easiest difficulty setting.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Forza sometimes. I take advantage of the fluid difficulty settings a lot. Although most of the time I play on a mid to high difficulty sometimes it's fun to just smash the opposition

Joe White

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
Every game that require using DS, as that stick and button layout increases difficulty by default. Currently playing spider-man with easy combat and automatic QTEs.

natanqb

Oct 27, 2017
I'm starting this on Series X right now. Ratcheting it down to the easiest difficulty is fine? I usually go default, but I tend to *hate* scary/survival horror titles.
I think it is, but later you can put it on easy and it will still be fine, very easy gives you way too many resources making exploration pointless.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Most story heavy games nowadays actually.

If anyone calls me a filthy casual I'll counter by saying I got every Platinum trophy on Fromsoftware games since Dark Souls 1 (Except Deracine)

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I think the last time I went below normal difficulty to enhance my enjoyment was probably the Ghostbusters game on PS3 all of those years ago because I just wanted to experience the characters and setting I loved once again. Of course I got distracted by other things and ended up not finishing the game anyway.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is, but later you can put it on easy and it will still be fine, very easy gives you way too many resources making exploration pointless.
OK thanks -- I'll stick with default for now. Game looks really good w/ frame boost, although like Dragon Age Inquisition, cutscenes are capped at 30fps.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
All of them. I started RE8 on normal and it just didn't feel right, ended up quitting about 20 mins in and restarted on the causal difficulty.

Dec 25, 2018
Open-world games, I cant do bullet sponges in a game that's already demanding a lot of my time for side quests and XP progression stuff.

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm married, I've got two kids and a full-time job and I get about 45 minutes of gaming time per day if I'm lucky. I play most games on easy. I've got nothing to prove and I'd rather spend my limited time playing something enjoyable instead of beating my head against a wall.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
It would be easier for me to list the ones that I don't play on easy mode. With a kid and full time job, I don't have time to go back repeating parts multiple times. I just want to have fun and feel a little overpowered

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Lately, the Uncharted games. I find the shootout sequences too prevalent and drawn out as it is on easy, I can't imagine on higher difficulty modes.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. Daein team is too week in that chapter that you fight the laguz. Or i just such at it :)

Oh this is a good example. I turned it on easy on a second play through just to see the difference.

Being stuck with the loser squad at the start really hurts the game in the long run. Mostly because everything past that is very doable.

...Hard is just a hard (ha) pass.

The Gold Hawk

Jan 30, 2019
Yorkshire
Will play easy mode on any game that I fancy.

There is no shame in playing on easy or lower difficulty modes for whatever reasons and people should never have to justify that they do.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
I did that one boss, Jager?, on world 3 instead of world 12 and 13. I didn't want to spend another 15 minutes killing him.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yakuza.

I don't enjoy that combat system in the slightest. And was actively making me quit the game. I'm on my fourth attempt of Yakuza 0 and now with the difficulty on Easy I'm enjoying it way more.

Guts Of Thor

Oct 25, 2017
Alien Isolation. Playing on easy makes the game even better. The alien appears less often, making him more scary, when he appears too often it becomes just annoying. It also maked you finish the game faster, the long duration is one of the few problems of this great game.

I didn't know this!

I'm currently playing Alien Isolation on XSX on Normal and the constant appearances of the Alien make the game so fucking tedious. If playing on easy makes the Alien not appear as much , sign me up.

I normally play games on normal but as I've gotten older (I'll be 40 next year), I've lost all interest in having any kind of challenge and just want to enjoy the story/scenery with as little difficulty if any at all.

Love Machine

Oct 29, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Everything with options I'll start on normal, then bump it down if I'm getting frustrated or stuck.

Personally really enjoy it when dynamic difficulty is implemented well, or when you unlock harder tougher challenges through play.

Apr 4, 2021
I think I usually play on Normal difficulty, unless there are trophies requiring for Hard difficulty. For cleaning up, I play on easy.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Any JRPG. Im not here for the gameplay. I'm here for the world and the characters.

seroun

Oct 25, 2018
All of them. After the tree sequence in the first Ori I said to myself "you should be pretty proud of that. not necessary to get bragging rights anymore at this point."

I do it because I don't usually care about gameplay (I'm more of a story-character development person), and when I care about gameplay I like power fantasies.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
If easy mode is an option, I'm taking it. I can play through "difficult" games like Bloodborne or Nioh for instance, but even then there are options to reduce the difficulty for yourself, like co-op/grinding/etc. Come to think of it, this may be why I bounced off Sekiro so hard. I'm not getting any younger, and my arthritis and reflexes certainly aren't improving as the years go by.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I just recently stopped my Normal playthrough of Resident Evil 8 and restarted on Casual instead. The enemies were taking far too many bullets. Now they die much quicker and I'm enjoying it more because of it.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm slowly becoming an "all easy, all the time" boy in more and more games. I do enjoy a good challenge and I'll take on a Soulsborne-like every now and again, but for a lot of games, especially story-driven ones, I just don't care to get obliterated constantly. I'm here for the story and dying is just a roadblock to finishing it.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
I hate Returnal.
still stuck biome 1 but my OCD keeps me coming back at least once a day to slog again. And then hate myself for wasting the last 1.5 hours after I inevitably die by melee on boss phase 3.
Would pay for an easy mode just to move on.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
I always play on Normal. I think the only game I said fuck it and dropped the difficulty was Deus Ex Human Revolution because some the bosses seem almost impossible to beat if you picked the wrong skills.

If ever I play Uncharted 3 and 4, I'll probably do it on easy. Played 1 and 2 and they were enjoyable apart from the combat which I disliked immensely.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
Long games where I'm playing it more for the story than the combat (i.e. Planescape Torment, Persona games, etc.) so I don't really want to get bogged down by one game because I'm getting stuck in combat when combat isn't even the reason I'm playing the game.

NeonDelta

Sep 29, 2020
Depends on the game. If it's a story based game i'll Start on medium/hard then drop it down to easy if I get stuck on a particular bit for too long and just want to finish it.

on simulation racing games and American sports game I put those on one of the easiest difficulties because I suck at them but enjoy playing them