• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
All of them

imagev1bdd138dbfae9023bcb2d80ed0d263f2f-d5gollmgogb3jx6y1q2_t1880.jpg
Yup. This is me.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
resident evil 2 remake is one that comes to mind, i suck at survival horrors, nier automata was another one i changed after the first ending the start of the second route was a big pain in the ass for me so i changed it there and never changed it back

KOT

Oct 27, 2017
Minsk
Any game where I'm playing for the story, not the gameplay. Especially when I don't have much time for games in general, I just don't want to waste time on dying, restarting and anything that slows my movement through the game world and narrative.

Probably a reason why I'll never finish any Souls game ever or anything with permadeath

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3. When combat sucks, but the rest of the game is good to great, why bother?

Other than that I dunno. Maybe if a game was super duper hard I'd play it on Easy mode because fuck poor balancing or super hard games, but I can't really think of such an example given how most modern games are pretty easy or at the very least extremely doable on their default difficulty level.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Most of them.

Especially (J)RPG's.

Persona 5 Royal on Safety difficulty was one of the best JRPG experiences of my life. Lesser focus on dungeon crawling and grinding, and more focus on the social aspects of the game.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Every Persona game if given the option. I don't care to be the absolute master of the battle system, I just want to experience the story and spend time with the characters.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Fighting games mostly when playing Story/Arcade mode, since, other than myself suck in fighting games, it's not like I can get better rewards with normal or harder difficulties.

Speaking of hard, I also avoid playing with that difficulty mostly because I don't want to deal with AIs that are cheap; knowing to block or parry all of my incoming attacks and also unleashing all those pre-defined long combos to me when there's a split second opening.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Route B of Nier Automata because I was so bad at the hacking minigames and on easy I could turn on the auto-combat for those parts lol

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
Shin Megami Tensei games
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Wonderful 101 (this one is even hard on easy mode god damm it)

emilioasis

Nov 1, 2017
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

bought it at launch... couldn't do it on normal. And I got the platinum on New Order.

I think they patched it since.

Maybe I´ll give it another chance in the future.

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
Uncharted Games + The Last of Us Part 1&2. Not trying to bash these games but I REALLY REALLY don't like the gunplay in them. Especially Uncharted. Uncharted was completely frustrating to play even on the easy difficulty because the guns just don't feel good to shoot. The guns really don't fire/work from what I expected and the cover system doesn't feel good either. I love the climbing stuff and the huge setpeices, but the actual gunplay sucks. I understand The Last of Us is supposed to be more "realistic" so I guess I can give it the benefit of doubt but I still don't like how it feels so I put these games on easy to save myself the frustration of dealing with the shooting mechanics.

SafeTScissors

May 1, 2020
I usually try to play games on the second highest difficulty because I apparently hate having fun, but I played Horizon Zero Dawn on easy and loved every second of it. Casually destroying robo-dinos left and right was a pretty fun experience, and they didn't lock any trophies behind the higher difficulties so I actually ended up getting the platinum for the game.

Oct 27, 2017
Currently considering this early on in P5 Strikers. Waves and waves of fodder enemies aren't the most appealing thing to grind away at. We'll see how the rest of this first jail goes.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yakuza. Gameplay is frustrating half the time and I'm just going along for the story and side stuff anyway.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
MLB The Show, Road to the Show.

Back like... I dunno 8 years ago I used to have a sense of pride in playing almost all sports games on the hardest difficulties, but MLB The Show was the game that put me over a chair and made me humble every year. I took a haitus from the series and started playing again on Xbox, and I was going to go with the "Variable difficulty" mode, which at first I was like, ahh, yeah, this is pretty good...

And then like 21 games into my RTTS career, I'm batting a steady .303, doing pretty well with hits and RBIs, still struggling at the plate fairly often...... and I'm getting the notifications every game that I'm being adjusted up ... and up ... and up ... and then I'm a freakin 50 ovr shitty ass AA 3rd baseman with an unkept beard hitting on Hall of Fame Legend difficulty. I'm still thinking "well lemme keep up with it..... the game probably knows best...... " And 2 weeks later I'm on a 1 for 30 hitting slump, the only time I was on base was on an intentional pitch out, and I'm like fuck this. So I bump it back down to the 2/5 difficulty, and even then my brain was still fucked and I'd take all of these 3rd strikes looking just assuming the CPU super-genius Pedro Martinez' son Pablo Martinez pitching in AA Trash Pandas is going to throw 40 pitches out of the zone trying to make me chase, and he's sitting me down 1-2-3....

Finally after about 10 more games I adjusted to the easier difficulty and got back into a decent performance.

Outside of The Show, I actually think a case can be made that Madden is harder on Pro or All Pro difficulty than it is on All Madden difficulty. Madden play-calling from the AI is all based on the user's playcalling. Basically, you pick a play, and then the AI seems to have 4 or 5 plays that they cycle between to counter the play that you picked, but the difficulty you're playing on prescribes if they're more likely to pick a *good* defense against your play or a *bad* defense. I don't have any actual source code evidence to back this up except for about 25 years of playing Madden videogames, but I thoroughly believe it (and on All Madden in certain game scenarios like short yardage in the red zone you can just prove it's the case). So, on Rookie or Pro difficulty (The easiest ones), the CPU AI will more often than not pick *the wrong defense* to counter the play that you choose. On All Pro difficulty, the AI will pick the *right defense* about 50-60% of the time or something. But then on All Madden, the hardest difficulty, the CPU will pick *the perfect counter defense* like 80% of the time. This, arguably, should make All Madden difficulty *harder* but it's the opposite, it makes it stupid easy because as the player you fundamentally know what the defense is going to be from the AI, which makes exploiting the defense stupid easy by going to your second or third read first. This is one reason why there's an ongoing phenomenon with Madden where often your 3rd sting WR is your most productive WR on the field if you play on harder difficulties, while your first look WR is often an interception risk if you throw near him. The prescribed nature of CPU playcalling breaks the difficulty, and you end up having an unstoppable offense unless you implement house rules (like some people say "users cannot control players after the snap" and shit, which like... I get hwy they make those house rules, but that sucks, or you can't throw to TE's under man coverage or something, again, that sucks).

So in a weird way, Madden's Pro difficulty ends up being the most balanced and, at times, difficult setting to play on because the CPU's likelihood for "picking the wrong defense" means you actually have to make normal reads. A lot of people who play on All Madden and are used to blowing out the CPU 80 - 20 in every game, throwing for 700 yards in a game and being unstoppable, when they switch to Pro difficulty end up having WAY more trouble getting first downs and moving the ball, they throw more INTs, make more mistakes, take more sacks, because all of a sudden you go from knowing where to put the ball on every play to actually having to make reads even though this is supposedly an *easier* difficulty. If you read Slider and setting forums there's this debate every year, and like 2 or 3 months after release you always have some slider guy come in and say "Ok, so bare with me.... set the difficulty to Rookie ... I klnow this sounds crazy but for some reason rookie plays the most realistic defensive AI!" when, my theory is it's just because the CPU intentionally picks the wrong play against you which actually makes it harder, kinda like the madman theory in international relations.

Azubah

Dec 30, 2017
All of them, I do not have the time to master a game anymore.

Nor do I have the time to "play the game as the developers intended".

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I play Fire Emblem on Casual if that counts. Normally I still avoid death and use the in-game rewind but I'm reluctant to do a full restart of a mission

D-Soo

Nov 1, 2017
the recent Wolfenstein games for me. It enjoyed the shooting more when I was dying every couple minutes and Im mostly here for the insane story

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I do that with all games these days just because of the backlog and time constraints. The last game with a difficulty mode I completed was Yakuza 4 and I'm currently in a playthrough of Persona 5 Royal.

Classy Tomato

Jun 2, 2019
Final Fantasy XIII. It is just not fun fighting monsters that need to be staggered, especially ones that have high HP.

Creed Bratton

Aug 29, 2019
I play almost every game on easy, TBH. There are too many games out there that I want to play with limited time, so easy is the way for me.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
All of them. I wish every game had a "story" mode difficulty. I don't have time these days to get frustrated or mad at games and redo stuff over and over. Easy mode for life.

Nov 26, 2019
I used to never play games on easy, but I recently realized that some games just aren't well designed enough to deserve being played at higher difficulties. The Souls games really spoiled me on what I expect out of a well-tuned challenge, so if a game feels frustratingly clunky, but has an interesting world or story, I'll knock it down to easy. I'd rather save my time and energy for the hard games that actually earn it.

idolminds

Nov 2, 2017
I usually play on easy and I've never thought "This game would be better if I died more." Though some games are about mastery and high scores that come from higher difficulty, like I'll go for silent assassin in high difficulty in Hitman levels, for example.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
I played The WItcher 3 on easy. If I don't care for a lot of the systems like crafting or alchemy, I'll just set it on easy and cruie through them. Elder Scrolls, especially Oblivion, with their weird leveling system that scales up the world is something I set on easy else the monsters will kill all the NPCs. Plus everything gets (and stays) super spongey unless you knock down the difficulty.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I'm surprised and heartened at all the folks in here saying they always play on Easy; I've certainly struggled with turning down difficulty in games merely because I felt like I was depriving myself of... I don't know, bragging rights? Despite not really being too vocal about the games I play (outside of the backlog thread at least). Maybe I'll default to Easy more often now.

In any case, I generally tend to turn down difficulties on games I'm returning to for whatever reason. For example, I don't play the Pillars games on anything other than Story Mode these days, they're just too tedious otherwise, and most of the replay value for me personally lies in the story.

When Mass Effect Legendary comes out next week, I'll probably do them on my personal "easy" which is Veteran; I've played those games on Hardcore and Insanity so many times that anything below those modes is a virtual cakewalk anyway.

Shin Kojima

Oct 27, 2017
None. I like to train to get better so the difficulty of a game won't be a deterrence for me if I'm interested in it. But I also enjoy punishment and the relief that comes with it.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
All of them, challenge is low on the list of reasons I indulge in this hobby. "Video game pride" is a silly thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Lately it feels like 70-80% of games I play on Game Pass.
I'm there to feel the game out and to absorb the general ideas and what the game contributes to the culture and the gaming industry - hopefully to enjoy the ride too. But I'm not there to challenge myself and play my 60 bucks out of it.

NIV093

May 31, 2019
Tales of Vesperia (at least the early game) is way more enjoyable for me on easy. Even with Manual Canceling there are too many unbalanced mob fights/ boss fights that just feel awful to play with your limited moveset and drag on forever.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the genre and how much I enjoy the combat. If i really enjoy the combat I'll raise the difficulty to pad out the experience.

Typically I enjoy survival horror games on harder difficulties. Long ass WRPGs I usually play on easier difficulties because they don't need the padding.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
Resident Evil games . I'm way to bloodthirsty and EVERYTHING MUST DIE!!(or re die as it were). I know on harder difficulties there are enemies you are supposed to run by to conserve ammo but screw that noise !!

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
FTL for me as well. I generally turn the difficulty to normal or its equivalent or higher, if I hear the game is too easy. But FTL I prefer on Easy. I've beaten it on normal but it's not something I aspire to do every time. I can't really imagine playing it on hard difficulty.
Yep, FTL should be started on Easy, and can be more fun on Easy because you have more flexibility in strategies and are less likely to be screwed over by bad RNG. I finally came back to the game after a year or two hiatus and beat it on hard, but only by unlocking and using the best ship in the game. I also made liberal use of the wiki.
Crystal B for the win.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Any game that enemies are bulletsponge. For me it just doesn't make any sense the need to hit dozens of times a normal enemy. One of the reasons that I'm not particularly fond of character action games.

Often a higher difficulty option just makes enemies more resistant, its completely unbalanced and boring.

ohitsluca

Oct 29, 2017
I wasn't enjoying the design of the final boss in Doom Eternal, I had played on hard up until that point so I just dropped it down to easy for that fight

I also finished Ratchet 2016 on normal and then went back through it on easy to clean up some trophies

but in general I don't drop difficulty even if I am struggling with something so long as I am still enjoying it. I wasn't enjoying doom eternals final boss so I just switched to easy to get it over with lol. If I liked the fight I would have tried it for as long as it took tbh

V has come to

Dec 4, 2019
Bethesda RPG's. i only play them for the world exploration and the combat is so shit that i don't want to deal with any difficulty