• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like it has enough entries to be a new genre but I thought I'd check with all of you. You know those games where your worst enemy is the control scheme? The goal is usually pretty simplistic (run forward, basic platformer, talk) but the controls are made in such a way that you either only have control over a very minute part of the character or you have too much control and have to manually operate all parts of the character. What are some other games that fall into this category?

QWOP_screenshot.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

capsule_616x353.jpg

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Eternal Darkness does this at some points. Once your stress meter gets full the game starts trolling the shit out of you. Sometimes the controls get inverted/screen goes upside down/etc

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
bfkkggaceaetijp.0.jpg

Have up to 4 players control a limb each.

And then the limbs can randomise as you progress through the game, so you swap between walking and grabbing.

Brivs

Creative Director, BancyCo
Verified
Nov 4, 2017
Toronto
In Clock Tower 3 for PS2, your character becomes erratic if her panic bar fills up, and she actively fights you when you're trying to make her run; sometimes she even just stops and freaks out for a moment.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Octodad and Sugeon Simulator are my favorites

Surgeon Simulator is specifically extra funny because it messes with the idea of "doing something simplistic" so you getting trouble just holding a tool makes it 3 times more hilarious

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I mean I loved Star Fox Zero but it was such an unintuitive nightmare for nearly everyone who tried it that it probably shelved the series for another 10 years.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The reason why I dropped it despite loving it. I just couldn't cope with the controls with Link almost never doing as intended. It felt like a massive chore.
There's a way to make Skyward Sword's controls (mostly) consistent but it's a pain in the ass

You basically have to play the game in a room with covered up windows and absolutely no IR interference...

The game doesn't use IR for any player-facing gameplay purposes, but the Wii Remote passively recalibrates the gyro controls while you play, using the sensor bar as a reference point.

Works fine when the only 'sensor bar' in your play space is the one on your TV. Not so much when the Wii Remote catches an errant beam of IR light from something that isn't directly in front of you - just like that, the reference point is skewed, suddenly the game thinks that the window to your left is actually forward position, and your control gets fucked.

I had a lot of fun with the game but I had to literally cover my windows with blankets to keep the motion controls consistent

Alvaro

Feb 13, 2019
There's a way to make Skyward Sword's controls (mostly) consistent but it's a pain in the ass

You basically have to play the game in a room with covered up windows and absolutely no IR interference...

The game doesn't use IR for any player-facing gameplay purposes, but the Wii Remote passively recalibrates the gyro controls while you play, using the sensor bar as a reference point.

Works fine when the only 'sensor bar' in your play space is the one on your TV. Not so much when the Wii Remote catches an errant beam of IR light from something that isn't directly in front of you - just like that, the reference point is skewed, suddenly the game thinks that the window to your left is actually forward position, and your control gets fucked.

I had a lot of fun with the game but I had to literally cover my windows with blankets to keep the motion controls consistent

I hope they remaster this game on the switch so i can finally play it.

bnx

Mar 18, 2018
Yakuza Dead Souls.

Took almost the whole game to get used to that control scheme

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I guess I can't be mad at you all for your terrible jokes about games with controls you don't like instead of intentionally difficult controls seeing as how the OP took almost every example lol

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising
Zone of the enders 1/2

loved them but man those controls...

Labyrinthe

Mar 12, 2018
All those platforming sections in FFXV. Jesus Christ, who thought that was a great idea? That Pitioss dungeon is horror.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Sexy Hiking, but I only know about it because Bennett Foddy talks directly about how Getting Over It was inspired by it in his narration.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Hello, sir, I would like to ask you for directions to.... <pulls the gun out and shoots>

RDR2