• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
So yeah Bloodborne, I'm recently shook how much missable content I missed out on in this deep ass game on my first playthrough years ago

So last month me and a friend decided to play this game together fully but as we go on I was like hold on, I don't remember this, hold on, new areas (cainhurst castle etc)? Hold on, new enemies, npcs, hidden spots and items and runes and weapons costumes wtff

Like, in most game they would not let you miss THIS much content they will make sure you encounter it, like devs put time, effort and money making all this and you're telling me Bloodborne devs like yeah you can miss all these it's fine not necessary to even know of these existence to finish the game

As me and my friend try to get every hidden stuff and watching YouTube videos how to do this how to get that at this point we're nearly 100%ing the game might as well get that platinum trophy now

I'm just mindblown how much stuff I missed and never knew about on my first playthrough years ago. Damn this game is greatness

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
i too kissed the cleric beast on the first go

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I am playing ME andromeda and that has some good kisses.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is a wonderful typo. Now I want to talk about kissable content. Surprisingly Bloodborne is not on my list

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
5yKwMKL.png

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Don't want to kink shame but damn op you kiss some weird stuff

I guess fallout games would fit the missable content part since according to your allegiance and or build you lock yourself out of all the other outcomes and choices. Which is good

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Recently upon completing Cyberpunk, I realized I missed a good amount of content (including an entire character arc)

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I missed out on something great.

Anyway Tales of Vesperia is the absolute worst for this. At seemingly random intervals in the game you have to backtrack to past areas to trip event flags to unlock later later content. Miss one, it's gone forever.

Jan 11, 2018
MGS2 has a ton of situational codec calls that you can miss out on, and things like being able to hear Raiden's thoughts on them as they happen. Then you have stuff like slipping on bird poop, taking a golden shower etc.

In MGS4 the gameplay is missable.

In MGSV the story is missable.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Persona 1 has an entirely different main story path that's really easy to miss. You also miss the final act of the regular story arc if you don't select the right dialogue choices at an earlier point in the game. Also, there's a playable character that you can only get by following specific actions early on in the game.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Shenmue II has two sidequests, Fangmei's Birthday and the Duck Races (and two fights that lead up to said Duck Races) that I believe would never have been uncovered by players had they not been mentioned in strategy guides.

In Shenmue III I ended up missing out on all of Shenhua's conversations on my first playthrough because the first night you try to talk to her, nothing happens. There's also a bunch of sidequests that start and end at very specific points in the story but there's no indication of these start and end points.

Crowh

Nov 20, 2017
I feel like I missed out on something great.

Anyway Tales of Vesperia is the absolute worst for this. At seemingly random intervals in the game you have to backtrack to past areas to trip event flags to unlock later later content. Miss one, it's gone forever.
This 100%, there is no way in HELL you do most of the side stuff without using a guide. The game is really damn specific at what points you have to do certain stuff.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Back in the day, my brother always believed you could run out of keys in Ocarina of Time's water temple, and gave up.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to be really mad at this but I just learned to let it go. I usually just go for a blind playthrough and if I really like the game do another go with a guide to do everything

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's not super apparent, but Tales games have ridiculous amounts of missable content in the form of optional cutscenes and the like activated by wandering into random spots at certain times. Not just skits which are a given, but actual proper stuff like moves, items, sidequests, etc are gated behind these.

Here's the nutso checklist for Vesperia:

Missables Checklist - Vesperia Guide

Missables checklist guide for Tales of Vesperia in Markdown format.
I imagine the folks who have played through it have zero clue about 99% of it.

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
Dark Souls 3 is even worse with this. Tf is up with Archdragon Peak??
Came here to say Dark Souls 3. At least with From's other recent games you can stumble across a lot of the side quests and stories but for DS3 it felt far more difficult to find them. My first play through I only found ONE of them and I didn't even finish it. This not only wasn't my first souls game but I actually tried looking too.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
Persona 1 has an entirely different main story path that's really easy to miss. You also miss the final act of the regular story arc if you don't select the right dialogue choices at an earlier point in the game. Also, there's a playable character that you can only get by following specific actions early on in the game.
I never understood why videogames used to do this stuff. Why? To sell more guides? To make their customers miserable?

Final Fantasy XII has some notoriously ridicoulous stuff in this regard

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
FFX-2, definitely.
In my last playthrough of the remaster I knew there was loads of missable stuff so I was following a guide and still managed to a miss a very minor conversation at one point late in the game and locked me out of the true ending. Never again

Nov 6, 2017
It's not super apparent, but Tales games have ridiculous amounts of missable content in the form of optional cutscenes and the like activated by wandering into random spots at certain times. Not just skits which are a given, but actual proper stuff like moves, items, sidequests, etc are gated behind these.

Here's the nutso checklist for Vesperia:

It's worth pointing out that Vesperia acutally is more straightforward / has less missable content than average for a Tales game

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I never understood why videogames used to do this stuff. Why? To sell more guides? To make their customers miserable?

Final Fantasy XII has some notoriously ridicoulous stuff in this regard

The final act stuff in Persona 1 was annoying since you can mess up and then save over your old save and keep playing (later Persona games make it so that if you mess up the choices, you lose quickly), but I thought the secret character & alternate story path were cool additions and make the game nicely replayable. Both can be figured out by yourself if you try (I remember getting the secret character on the old PS1 game without a guide, although it took a few tries). Persona 1 is drastically shorter than the modern Persona games too so replays are more reasonable.

tecl0n

Oct 25, 2017
Add me to the ones saying older Tales Of games.
Some of the cutoff points for sidequests were fucking absurd in Symphonia and Abyss.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Also, I loooove this sort of thing, and it's why JRPGs pre-PS3 ruled. Nowadays expansive/unique side-content is just so much less financially feasible and prevalent. Huge props to From for keeping the spirit alive.

Oct 29, 2017
I really really hate this.

I don't need complete handholding but at least tell me if I missed something huge. Or be clever about it. Daemons Souls has items of importance in the most mundane places.

FEZ is a whole second game yet it manages to notify you about it in many many places.

Especially with a game that likes to punish you wildly, at some point it felt like both DS and Bloodborne was purposefully wasting my time. And since there is no map whatsoever returning to the game after months is almost impossible.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls 3 is even worse with this. Tf is up with Archdragon Peak??

Worse? This is a positive thing as done in From games.

The key thing with From's games is that while the first play through may take 30-80 hours, the second play through is usually 12 or less; playing the game a second time to find other secrets or to clean up is much less onerous than in other RPGs where there are one time events that are small and not worth a whole replay for. The secrets in Bloodborne, Dark Souls, DS3, etc, are both not-essential and large enough to be worth replaying to see.

AmirMoosavi

Dec 10, 2018
Every Yakuza game has tons of content that is very easy to miss

With Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 you can get a device that lets you see all the sidequest markers on the map, and I don't think you can miss any of them after completing story events, unlike later games (I've heard with 3 you can miss sidequests if you've progressed past certain story events).

dstarMDA

Dec 22, 2017
Worse? This is a positive thing as done in From games.

The key thing with From's games is that while the first play through may take 30-80 hours, the second play through is usually 12 or less; playing the game a second time to find other secrets or to clean up is much less onerous than in other RPGs where there are one time events that are small and not worth a whole replay for. The secrets in Bloodborne, Dark Souls, DS3, etc, are both not-essential and large enough to be worth replaying to see.
There's exploration and there's "perform a semi-random emote you've picked 5 areas from here at this specific spot to access an entire new area". I don't believe for a second that a vast majority of people wouldn't miss this on either their first, second or tenth playthroughs without the internet (player messages or guides alike).

EDIT: realized you seemed to talk about going for these secrets knowingly on a second playthrough, not finding them on your own. Still feels cheap to me.

Fhtagn

Oct 25, 2017
With Yakuza 0 and Kiwami 1 you can get a device that lets you see all the sidequest markers on the map, and I don't think you can miss any of them after completing story events, unlike later games (I've heard with 3 you can miss sidequests if you've progressed past certain story events).

With Yakuza there's at least the Premium Adventure mode that lets you revisit everything from the game after the ending.