• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

A decent rebalancing of the game, but aesthetically it was a mockery. It was the result of some rather ignorant views on pixel art among gamers in the aughts.
The weirdest part was that there was a style setting, but it only changed the sprites.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Planning on getting a PS4 soon, and really loved the Ratchet games on PS2. The reboot was gonna be one of the first games I was gonna pick up, should I not? How much of a regression is it?

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
The Silent Hill HD Collection, as has been already mentioned.

But the real winner for me is the Shadow of the Colossus HD remake for PS4 that looks like soulless garbage. Missing and poor facial animations, more "realistic" looking characters, the signature bloom lighting and color palette gone. I'm not sure what they were going for. It just turned out to be such an ugly game.

BlazeHedgehog

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft was the worst about this last gen.

Turtles in Time: Reshelled
gZsiqkS.jpg

Based on the slightly-worse arcade version, it had very little of the charm of the original game, including its iconic soundtrack. Attempts to expand the combat system were flat, and the game just didn't FEEL very good to play. Everything about it was cheap, squishy and weak. The only upside is the new voice acting, which mixes actors from the stellar 2003 4KIDS cartoon (for the turtles) with what sounds to me like classic actors from the original 80's cartoon (for the villains). Everything else, though... this isn't the Turtles in Time you remember or want.

Earthworm Jim HD
wnXxadI.png

If there was ever a game that would benefit from an HD remaster, it would be Earthworm Jim. Unfortunately, Ubisoft once again had NO idea how to handle the game. They redrew all the animations with 4 times the frames of animation, making it look TOO smooth for cel-animated cartoon art. But then again, they also ditched the cel-animated cartoon art and tried to give Jim a weird painterly style. It looks completely bizarre, made even more bizarre given the fact that the attention given to Jim's artwork was not spread equally across the rest of the game. A lot of characters retain their super-low 16-bit frame counts, and that's not even touching... well, everything else. EWJHD contains some of the content from Earthworm Jim: Special Edition on the Sega CD, but is missing most of it. Ubisoft remasters the soundtrack, but ignores the fact that the soundtrack was already remastered for CD in 1993. Their versions are not as good. Ubisoft also produced new content for the remaster, but the levels are all based on dumb internet memes that were already years out of date by the time EWJHD released (you fight Keyboard Cat as a boss!). It's one big ugly mess.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix

A decent rebalancing of the game, but aesthetically it was a mockery. It was the result of some rather ignorant views on pixel art among gamers in the aughts.

It is astonishing how ugly that game is. It made me feel like a crazy person when reviews were actually praising the visuals.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Incredible that we made it all the way here and didn't mention the worst Pokemon games ever made; Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
ORAS could have been so much better if they built on Emerald rather than the original Ruby/Sapphire, but I don't think they're bad in a vacuum. They're the last Pokemon games I actually enjoyed tbh, and introduced some cool new features.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Silent Hill HD wins this crappy race this with one leg, both hands tied, and blind folded.

Twin Snakes > PS1 original. Fight me! :P

Does the Ratchet remake/reboot/reimagining count?
How would it qualify as the worst?

The comedy was a miss, but controls and graphics are absolutely enormously improved.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Ubisoft was the worst about this last gen.

Turtles in Time: Reshelled
gZsiqkS.jpg

Based on the slightly-worse arcade version, it had very little of the charm of the original game, including its iconic soundtrack. Attempts to expand the combat system were flat, and the game just didn't FEEL very good to play. Everything about it was cheap, squishy and weak. The only upside is the new voice acting, which mixes actors from the stellar 2003 4KIDS cartoon (for the turtles) with what sounds to me like classic actors from the original 80's cartoon (for the villains). Everything else, though... this isn't the Turtles in Time you remember or want.

Earthworm Jim HD
wnXxadI.png

If there was ever a game that would benefit from an HD remaster, it would be Earthworm Jim. Unfortunately, Ubisoft once again had NO idea how to handle the game. They redrew all the animations with 4 times the frames of animation, making it look TOO smooth for cel-animated cartoon art. But then again, they also ditched the cel-animated cartoon art and tried to give Jim a weird painterly style. It looks completely bizarre, made even more bizarre given the fact that the attention given to Jim's artwork was not spread equally across the rest of the game. A lot of characters retain their super-low 16-bit frame counts, and that's not even touching... well, everything else. EWJHD contains some of the content from Earthworm Jim: Special Edition on the Sega CD, but is missing most of it. Ubisoft remasters the soundtrack, but ignores the fact that the soundtrack was already remastered for CD in 1993. Their versions are not as good. Ubisoft also produced new content for the remaster, but the levels are all based on dumb internet memes that were already years out of date by the time EWJHD released (you fight Keyboard Cat as a boss!). It's one big ugly mess.
I knew UbiSoft did ReShelled, but I had no idea they were behind EWJ HD, too. It explains so much.

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Just thinking about the Broken Sword 1 remake makes me cringe.

The remake for the first Gabriel Knight doesn't look too good, either.

Oh yeah I was a bit bummed about this, it seems OG Broken Sword's pretty tough to get going on modern Windows, at least the last time I checked. Not keen of things like the dialogue changes in the BS1 Director's Cut

Yeah I agree with this. The additional scenes screw with the pacing too. Not sure why they thought inserting a new area up front was a good idea - it completely fucks with the superb intro sequence that throws you right into the thick of things. "Paris in the fall. The city holds many memories for me. Of cafes. Of music. Of love. And of death." Potentially the most iconic line from the series is now absent.

The new graphics' art style also clashes with the old stuff pretty hard. It's made worse by the fact that the old visuals haven't been cleaned up at all - I understand they might simply not have higher resolution graphics anywhere to use, but at least don't create such jarring contrast.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
VO in the original was OK but i don't think it's considerably worse in TTS by any means, especially if you are playing the Japanese version which is nearly indistinguishable from the original.

TTS doesn't actually have japanese VO, which makes the shitty lip sync in cutscenes inexcusable. Even in the codec conversations is the lip sync off, while they actually readjusted them to the english dub in the Original.

And as for the music...it's a matter of taste which style you prefer but what is legit worse in the Remake is how many codec conversations and cutscenes are just dead silence with no music or even ambient sounds at all compared to the Original.

Also, while the Remake looks better on a technical level it also looks a lot duller than the Original.

eryGyvR.jpg

dfO0Fyj.jpg

I even think the Gray Fox scenes are better in the Oriignal because when you're first introduced they're straight up filmed like a horror movie, especially the massacre hallway. That feeling is missing from the Remake, though I guess that's just another matter of taste.

Still wouldn't call TTS an awful abomination, not even close, but inferior for sure.

Mr. Capo

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You're factually wrong about Strange Journey Redux.

To either fight or support Alex you have to complete the additional content. Fighting her actually gets you the old endings, it's supporting her that gives you the neutered Law/Chaos endings.

Complaints about the change to character models (Zelenin in particular) are valid but if you want close to the original game in narrative terms all you need to do is ignore the new side-plot.

Or hear me out here:
Play the superior original, thus you don't have to deal with that travesty.

Last edited:

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD felt like a lie, it managed to feel like it stripped so much of what made both 1 and 2 individually good and only claimed small superficial fragments of the highlights of either game in both soundtrack and what few good levels they picked. But even then the level balance feels horribly skewed as both training levels return (Warehouse and Hangar) and two of the worst levels from both games (Venice and Downhill Jam) occupy a location lineup smaller and worse than either game.

Mario 64 DS isn't objectively worse than Mario 64 by any means but I feel like the new content isn't substantial or satisfying (beyond the really good minigames that also show up in NSMB anyway). The forced tagging made old stars worse and often character-locked as the game gated Mario's own original features off into the pure upgrade of playing as Luigi and the absolute downgrade of playing as Wario. Plus pacing feels worse with the item switch being simplified and having new low effort stars like the bunny quest and the horde of time-limit switch stars, and the art direction changes made areas feel flatter and uglier.

Genuine Class

Dec 25, 2017
Vancouver
Batman: Arkham Collection was a huge bummer

I feel like it was an exercise about "getting to know" Unreal 4. Art direction changed, which was fine, but framerate and performance plummeted – or at least wasn't 60 on consoles, which is all I wanted : - (

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Not a remake but I see everyone mentioning remasters anyway so FFX HD ruined the two main characters' faces and ruined a lot of music tracks, which in turn ruined a lot of pivotal cutscenes as the music no longer perfectly synced with the cutscene.

Still a great experience but the original is superior in my eyes. Especially since you have Tidus and Yuna capable of showing emotion (or even a different facial expression). Curiously the other characters' faces look good, how they only butchered the two MCs I'll never understand (or who the fuck approved that).

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
On top of this, it's also worse than the first set of remakes as well. Sorry if you played Fire Red and Leaf Green as your first step to Kanto, but no Sevii Islands for you and we aren't going to bring over Held Items or Abilities either, no ability to trade over anything outside of the original 151 either, so no Scizors, Crobats, Espeons, Umbreons or more. Mega's are fine though, which just causes confusion, we can't have Slowking, but Mega Slowbro is A-OK? Wha...

And then the difficulty is basically 0, I know this is supposed to be a beginner friendly entry, but man, when Pokemon already is a beginner friendly series, making a beginner friendly version of a beginner friendly game leads to a Starter that can solo the game by itself, the AV System that lets you stuff your pokemon with candies so a level 5 can beat a level 50, and basically laughable trainer sets. Even the master trainers, the post game Expert Challenge, have laughably easy to beat sets (Don't look at the Fearow one).

And then there's the forced motion controls for the required new capture style, the new "friendly" rival that has the personality of a wet blanket, the utterly embarassing online options that are dwarfed by it's (Free Online) 3DS Counterparts...

Oh and it locked Mew behind a $50 controller. Absolute garbage. That new CGI Mewtwo Strikes back can join it in the garbage pile if that's also commiting to the 1-1 remake.

What's sad are those who defend let's go and yet they don't like FR/LG for really stupid reasons.

I always felt that Let's Go was designed to be mobile phone game that can be played using 1 finger while you take a shit or something.

Oct 29, 2017
Really? It looks so much better in the left.

No... it really doesn't...

The SOTC remake drastically changed the intended look and feel of the original team's vision (despite their terrific work on the PS3 remaster and The Last Guardian showing Bluepoint exactly how it ought to look in HD).

While SOTC PS4 is a a good remake, it doesn't really quite capture the original vision.

In what sense, though? FFIVDS is much harder than the original FFIV (so much so that the DS difficulty is Hard Mode in the mobile port), but otherwise it's very faithful to the original, but a fun visual and aural upgrade.

Faithful how!? It more or less completely jettisoned the original battle system in favour of something completely different! It also completely buggered up the difficulty balance and slowed down the game's pace to a crawl!

It's nothing like the original FF4 at all!

The PSP remake on the other hand? Now THAT is a faithful remake! (And is also the best version of the game to boot - unquestionably so as far as English language releases go).

Last edited:

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus PS4. It's not that bad, but it never felt right to me, new lightning, color scheme, draw distances, a lot of small things really make it feel off. Even PS3 HD ver feels a bit off compared to the original, but the PS4 ver is way to different for my taste.

NG Sigma 1 and 2, of course, absolutely horrible.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Resident Evil 2 remake, zombies take forever to kill, Mr X is overused and repetitive (especially route B) locations are more interesting in the original game rather than making the poilce station a flash light tour. Resident Evil 2 remake is better with controls but very mediocre overall.

Metalix

Oct 28, 2017
Solidarity with my TTS-loving bretheren, only nuisance with it is pressing start+a for codec.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Monkey Island 1 and 2 but you do have the option to revert to the original graphics while retaining the added voice-overs.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TTS doesn't actually have japanese VO, which makes the shitty lip sync in cutscenes inexcusable. Even in the codec conversations is the lip sync off, while they actually readjusted them to the english dub in the Original.

0_o What?

I could have sworn that it did. Maybe i'm going senile. If that's the case then what voice clips did the Japanese version of MGS4 use for the Act 4 with the voice over flashback sequences?

And as for the music...it's a matter of taste which style you prefer but what is legit worse in the Remake is how many codec conversations and cutscenes are just dead silence with no music or even ambient sounds at all compared to the Original.

Also, while the Remake looks better on a technical level it also looks a lot duller than the Original.

eryGyvR.jpg

dfO0Fyj.jpg

I even think the Gray Fox scenes are better in the Oriignal because when you're first introduced they're straight up filmed like a horror movie, especially the massacre hallway. That feeling is missing from the Remake, though I guess that's just another matter of taste.

Still wouldn't call TTS an awful abomination, not even close, but inferior for sure.

Yeah i agree with this. Twin Snakes is a really weird game. I don't think MGS was old enough to really need a remake on the GameCube. If they wanted to remake a game, then i think it would have been more interesting to remake one of the MSX titles instead.

Still i think it's worth a play-through.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Ratchet & Clank is an interesting case. Visually it is definitely far superior to the original, same mostly with gameplay (although 30FPS/Heavy motion blur hurts it). But the writing and atmosphere took a massive hit, I assume the movie must have hurt it.

MoonlitBow

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not going to be the first SquareEnix remake/remaster that pops to mind, but

41492GB0APL._AC_SX215_.jpg

Not that the original game was exactly perfect, but virtually none of the changes brought about in the remake improved the game and some even hurt it. The combat is somehow more sluggish, even despite the game having a dramatic reduction in the amount of enemies brought in battle. Instead of fixing the problems inherent in FF3's original class system (Class Points being very restrictive for changing classes in the end game, some classes only existing for being used at forced points, some classes just being useless entirely, some classes being entirely redundant), they threw a bandaid on a few (giving Scholar low level magics to make up for the one battle you are forced to use one) and otherwise "fixed" some things with an even worse solution (Class Points being dropped in favor of class changing sickness, so your character is gimped after changing classes...which especially sucks for when you get the Ninja and Sage classes) or they just didn't bother doing anything at all (leaving the redundant classes just there as always). Then they made a huge point about ignoring the one demand everybody wanted out of a remake (at least one save point towards the end of the final dungeon gauntlet) because they wanted to preserve the spirit of the original game, while they made a bunch of other insanely pointless changes (surprise, the one mechanic people like from the game is now locked until after you fight Djinn, instead of being available after the game's cold open and first boss).

Also the remake's art style abandons a lot of the really unique visual style FF3 should have had for it's more ethereal/dreamlike world and instead just went with a visual style that ended up looking a lot more appropriate for the FF4 remake that followed it.
I'm mostly quoting this to point out that Scholars didn't just get basic magic, but they also had the ability to do double damage when using an item that casts a spell which is very strong. The Famicom version is superior in many ways but the remake did a better job allowing a larger variety of classes to be played to the end.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible that we made it all the way here and didn't mention the worst Pokemon games ever made; Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

In fact, pretty much any remake that found its way to the DS/3DS ended up being horseshit, including Mario 64 and the N64 Zelda's.

Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire were better than the originals but worse than Emerald, I thought

Sonic Mania Plus for me. I can't stand the new Pinball Bonus Stages, and the remix mode just didn't feel fun.

But it's just the exact same game with more characters and modes

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Silent Hill HD wins this crappy race this with one leg, both hands tied, and blind folded.

Twin Snakes > PS1 original. Fight me! :P

How would it qualify as the worst?

The comedy was a miss, but controls and graphics are absolutely enormously improved.

I really love how a PS4 game ran at a lower Framerate than a PS2 game.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
0_o What?

I could have sworn that it did. Maybe i'm going senile. If that's the case then what voice clips did the Japanese version of MGS4 use for the Act 4 with the voice over flashback sequences?

They used the original PS1 recordings. The japanese MGS1 VA was recorded in a proper recording studio unlike the english dub that was done in an appartment where you could hear traffic noise in the uncompressed audio.

MGS2's japanese Version already used original MGS1 recordings. When you first meet the Cyborg Ninja she quotes Gray Fox from the first game...well, actually, in the japanese version they straight up play the original audio file, as if to say the Ninja is imitating Fox's voice. The same thing happens when they quote the DARPA Chief later, but I don't remember if that came from the Ninja or the AI at the end.

The english MGS dubs overall are quite a bit worse than their reputation back then tbh., with MGS1 being the sole exception. In a ways it's even cheesier than later games but it had much better direction and you could tell that the actors actually recorded all their lines together and with all the necessary context.

Last edited:

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how people who shit on Twin Snakes feel about MGS4 or Revengence. Because frankly, people who think Metal Gear's tone is ruined by the over the top ridiculous action cutscenes to me don't seem to understand what Metal Gear actually is and only have an idea of what they want it to be. There's no way when stuff like the FF6 mobile release and Silent Hill HD collection exist that Twin Snakes even approaches the title of "worst remake".

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I wonder how people who shit on Twin Snakes feel about MGS4 or Revengence. Because frankly, people who think Metal Gear's tone is ruined by the over the top ridiculous action cutscenes to me don't seem to understand what Metal Gear actually is and only have an idea of what they want it to be. There's no way when stuff like the FF6 mobile release and Silent Hill HD collection exist that Twin Snakes even approaches the title of "worst remake".

It probably doesn't belong among the absolute worst remakes and remasters, I agree, at least there's genuine effort, but whatever later MGS games do and whatever feeling and tone they convey has no bearing on the tone and atmosphere present in MGS1, so it's still a very valid complaint.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I drop the bomb: RE2R. Although I love it and I replay it regularly, it's not absolutely in the same league of the original. I appreciate they tried to innovate the gameplay, but I hate how they reinterpreted the story and the levels design. Why it's not the same of the original? And the lack of the B path it's the probably the most disappointing part of the RE2Remake. I bet whatever you want it was on the plans at the beginning (half of the game in fact it follows alternative path with the different characters) but they removed it, I suspect, to respect the time release.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Diddy Kong Racing DS. Literally every aspect you can think of was made worse through various unnecessary additions, changes, and gimmicks.
Yes, wow great pick. Forgot about this one.

It's tough because I don't want to throw entire remakes under the bus for one changed aspect, but the lighting in Ocarina of Time 3D might lend itself to the art style more, but it does ruin the vibe of certain boss battles and temples. N64 version was darker and the final boss in particular was more menacing as a result.