• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
That fucking weapon sheathing animation in Final Fantasy XII where they force you to a halt after combat, don't stop just do it while running please aaaaaaaa
Final Fantasy XI was the first game I thought of lol. I enjoyed my time with it, but engaging combat and leaving combat in that game is absolutely dreadful

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Moving around in Immortals: Fenyx Rising in quality mode on PS5 felt absolutely horrible to me, the input lag made it so hard to just go where I wanted to.
Hope you changed to performance mode, because the bug is known and AFAIK not in performance mode. Movement in that game is so good, sad to see that lag ruining that experience.

Azai

Jun 10, 2020
The Witcher 3, regardless of how good the game itself is. Trash controls.

The initial movement yes. But the patched option for crisper movement made it pretty much fine for me.

Also:

GTA5 and Red Dead Redemption.

How can you have a game of that scale and quality but have controlls which make you feel like you want to throw the game away. Even if you aim for realitisic animations why not give an option for more accurate movement to actually make it enjoyable....

Greyline108

Avenger
Nov 24, 2017
Hope you changed to performance mode, because the bug is known and AFAIK not in performance mode. Movement in that game is so good, sad to see that lag ruining that experience.
Yep, feels much more playable in performance mode, and still looks good. Didn't realize it was a bug, maybe they'll get around to fixing it some time.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Red Dead 2. I'd love to play it. It's gorgeous and impressive and it would be awesome to get lost in that world.
But it feels SO fucking bad. GTA on foot gameplay isn't much better.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Lemme take you all back to this PS2 gem

Onimusha
Onimusha-Warlords-announcement.jpg
onimusha-remastered-feat.jpg

where you control like a tank. I was 3/4 through the game before the control scheme started feeling somewhat comfortable.

Iirc it controlled based on camera position, so it had that great effect of you running and the camera changing positions only for the control to register as a different direction.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Dark Souls II
Skyrim

Personally, I thought TW3 felt fine with the alternative movement option selected. The above two games, however, feel bad no matter what.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I knew Dark Souls 2 would be in the OP before opening the thread.

My pick would be Evil Dead 1; weightless and twitchy, I really hate controlling characters like this.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3: The first game I've ever finished that had me dodging combat encounters like they were covid cuz fuck I hate the Witcher's combat, movement, and like everything else but Gwent. Gwent is a banger and I only played TW3 for so long looking for more people to duel

Fortnite: I installed it, got into a game, ran maybe 10 steps, jumped once, quit out, and uninstalled it. That game feels horrific in a way I genuinely don't know how to describe cuz I'd have to redownload it to do so and lord knows that's just not an option

RDR2: I booted it up once to see if Rockstar Games did indeed play as awkwardly as they look and indeed they do

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
51tPCaGMWCL.jpg

It's by far the least satisfying experience in a Mario game when it comes to just controlling Mario. You're not allowed to do anything cool, ever.

Mario's top speed is pathetic, and so much of what you do just kills your momentum altogether. Luma's spin jump isn't half as versatile as either FLUDD or Cappy. Every power-up except the Ice Flower is boring to use. And worst of all, the challenge level is so consistently low throughout the game that you're not even asked to show much competence at the limited abilities Mario does have at his disposal.

If there's one specific aspect of this game that really encompasses my disdain with how it controls, it's the Fire Flower. Every time you throw a fireball, Mario grinds to a literal halt, and he can't even change his direction of fire from one shot to the next unless you wait for his fireball animation to completely finish, then reorient your position/aim. The game just eats all of your directional inputs otherwise. It may not sound like much but it's the most disgusting feeling action that I can recall having to do in any Mario game to date. He's so much more acrobatic in literally every other game.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Witcher 3, main character have zero weight, the movement is imprecise, hated it every time I tried to play .

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
I will grant that it's been probably 30 years since I played Corporation on the Amiga so my memory could be a bit off, but I'm still confident it had the worst movement of anything mentioned so far. If I recall correctly, looking was done with the keyboard, and the mouse handled the movement. There was an on-screen circle that you moved the cursor around like a virtual joystick on a modern smartphone game. To be fair it came out in 1990, so it was one of the very first 3D fps games, coming out two years before even Wolfenstein 3D.

But I do remember liking the game outside of the very real struggle to move anywhere, so looking up the game to double-check the title I was happy to discover there's a Genesis version I didn't know existed.

SDR-UK

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls II and The Witcher 3 go without saying. I don't even have to explain them.

I have to add The Division (1/2) into this as well. Moment to moment movement, walking through the city and even sprinting from one point in the map to the other is serviceable. It absolutely takes a nosedive in combat unless you literally play pop and shoot whilst in cover. If you wanted to actually move whilst engaging the enemy outside of those pre-tracked cover transitions, the movement feels horrible! Strafing side to side or pushing up/falling back just feels terrible, imo.

Resident Evil 1 -> RECVX/REmake/RE0.

Thank Goodness we're done with Tank Controls.

The Witcher 3, is. Trash

I tried to start Dark Souls 2 right after about a hundred hours of Dark Souls 1.. that wasn't a good idea
This is Rockstar Games, the thread lol. GTA IV and V, RDR I and II; both series just have absurdly bad movement and controls. Like why is the game fighting me at every step of the way.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Fable 2 and Killzone 2.

Movement in Fable 2 just never felt great to me. As funny as it sounds, walking and running is one of the things I'm most anxious to see how Playground does with their Fable game.

Much has already been said about Killzone's input lag--and yeah, it's bad. I never understood why people excused it as feeling "weighty."

Edit: Oh, and old Assassin's Creed games. I really wanted to like AC4, but the controls just put me off. Origins is the first one that felt good to move around to me.

Nov 17, 2017
Xenoblade 2 is pretty slow, and has that awkward/momentary 'pause' when the controlled characters goes from jumping to landing on their feet.

I hate waiting on the UI... The game has a lot of menus and navigating them feels quite clunky... Honestly most of the Xenoblade games suffer this.
I was gonna say Xenoblade 2. There's also the fact that you have to do some absurd sidequests and grinding to unlock incremental run speed boosts. The game just before felt amazing to run around in and they just went the complete opposite direction.

sionydus

Jan 2, 2021
West Coast, USA
Conversely, for me, all of the recent Assassin's creed games I tried control wonderfully (and make other third person climb/parkour games feel clunky). Yet there's so much other Ubisoft jank and filler that weighs it down.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 : the movement speed while walking is way too fast and deson't match the animation at all. It's also imprecise as hell, making the walking sections less pleasant than they ought to be.

Assassin's Creed Odyssey : it's near impossible to walk in this game, stick sensitivity is way too high and you end up half assedly running 80% of the time. Sad thing is, AC series used to be a referenve for me in terms of being fun to walk around in.

DiscoBandit

Apr 6, 2018
QWOP, Red Dead Redemption 2, Resident Evil 1/2 (originals), and any extended slippery ice or swimming levels.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII - Now I actually love this game, but it's like Dark Souls 2 where it never feels like the character is connected to the world, more like they are hovering right above it.

I remember running across the beach on PS3 and seeing that tracks wherent even left in the sand when Lighting was running in boots.

She has the same traction and move regardless of it being Ice, Crystal, even jumps. I know most games are like that, but they don't feel like it in quite the same way as DS2 and FFXIII.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The Last Guardian. The boy can only tiptoe or sprint; there's no analogue movement control and nothing between those two speeds. Combine that with huuuuge animation priority, low framerate and what feels like a hell of a lot of input lag and it's just a nightmare to make your character go where you want him to. Lining yourself up to pull a switch is one of the hardest tasks in the game. And beyond just walking around on flat ground, they took the manual grip system from Shadow of the Colossus and replaced it with a system where you just automatically grab anything close enough, which makes climbing on Trico (and specifically getting off Trico) an utter chore.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
What's weird about R* is that they created a TPS that controlled beautifully (Max Payne 3) but then proceeded to learn absolutely nothing from that with their next two games.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
The Saboteur.

One of the most infamous "rose-tinted glasses" games, everyone remembers it for it's Black And White world mechanic, and how driving out the Nazis restores colour to the world.

The game controls like garbage. They tried to implement an Assassin's Creed style climbing system and it was bad in 2009, let alone now.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
GTAV and literally every David Cage game. And a reminder that it's not a bad take to name drop rockstar games. They literally have a larger than average dead zone that makes the player feel a disconnect.

Panicky Duck

Dec 14, 2020
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (the original NES game) would be borderline unplayable without the 2x speed multiplier in the Switch localization. It's soooo slow and almost ruins an otherwise decent NES game.