• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
User banned (1 month): sexist trolling
Hyrule Warriors Legends and Definitive Edition have more playable females than males on the roster with 15 girls and 14 guys after all the DLC. Technically you could count Ganon as his own character (despite being cut from Legends and only being playable as part of a special mode) which would balance out the number, but if we do that then we have to count Link's Great Fairy weapon as a playable character since it lets you control the Great Fairy while Link is stuck in a bottle, so it's still in favor of the women.
Don't forget the giant cucco, which is playable in a mode akin to Ganon's special mode. It is based on hens (female chickens) after all, so still more female characters

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Persona 5 Royal has a 50-50 split, but Morgana is a cat so in terms of human party members there are more women than men.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Sadly most games that focus more on more female party members do it for waifubaiting purposes so its hard to think of positive examples

Props for the ikenfell mentions though, and of course FFV, which is probably the only where i remember the game ending with only one male in the entire party but not making a harem out of it

I'm surprised this is not the first post, but I guess the OP set the tone of JRPGs.

probably because launch skullgirls was all girls and wouldnt fit the point
big band only got added way later

isnt the first and second game like 50-50%

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Sadly most games that focus more on more female party members do it for waifubaiting purposes so its hard to think of positive examples

Props for the ikenfell mentions though, and of course FFV, which is probably the only where i remember the game ending with only one male in the entire party but not making a harem out of it

probably because launch skullgirls was all girls and wouldnt fit the point
big band only got added way later

isnt the first and second game like 50-50%
Been playing the game so long that I forgot that lol.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Towerfall is quietly majority women, and I remember realizing it and being disappointed how weird and special that seemed.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
If the "robot rule" counts, Slay the Spire counts. 2W 1M 1R. Some Borderlands games would count as well. Borderlands 3 certainly would.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Luminous Arc games, at least the DS ones I owned are usually large cast of women.
I mostly remember LA2 as the one where you have a lead male character able to enter into 'engagement' with a harem of witches (complete with wedding dress imagery of the special move), while another character was directly described as an otaku paparazzi, eternally perving on the girls as the embodiment of the shitty 'team pervert' trope. It was pretty grim.

DimitriLH

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Aguadilla, Puerto Rico
I mostly remember LA2 as the one where you have a lead male character able to enter into 'engagement' with a harem of witches (complete with wedding dress imagery of the special move), while another character was directly described as an otaku paparazzi, eternally perving on the girls as the embodiment of the shitty 'team pervert' trope. It was pretty grim.

Oof, I forgot the sequel had that wedding dress stuff.

I mostly remember the first game, it sort of felt like a harem, but the main character was only into the heroine and only had "good friend" interactions with the rest.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oof, I forgot the sequel had that wedding dress stuff.

I mostly remember the first game, it sort of felt like a harem, but the main character was only into the heroine and only had "good friend" interactions with the rest.
Yeah the first one was a by the numbers SRPG, the second one was hyper focused on the otaku fanbase to the point of making one a playable unit. I was like 'WTF…'

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Just because I'm struggling to find games I'm gonna cheat and say RE1.

I don't think we should count games where only women are playable considering the nature of the thread, because the bigger point I feel is that the second there are playable male characters in the game, they're pretty much always in majority! And it's in the OP.

Kirksplosion

Aug 21, 2018
Dammit. I came to the thread to say Overwatch, but I doublechecked and the roster is 47% women / 53% men. So close.

Maybe Overwatch 2 can rectify this.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Creepy waifu games shouldn't count because they're obviously more female characters for the wrong reasons.

Pennybags

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Othercide. A really nice initiative focused turn-based tactical game with a striking art style and some interesting lore.

And just the right amount of jank.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
A tougher challenge: how about games that feature more playable female characters that aren't sexualized.
Wild Arms 2. The permanent party members are 3-3, but you get 1 temporary female character and 1 temporary genderless divine wolf.
Atelier Escha & Logy. 4-3 in the original and 7-4 after the expansions.
Corpse Party. 3 female and 2 male in the original. 6 to 3 in the PSP remake and subsequent ports.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Hyrule Warriors, I *think* ended up at more female characters than male - by my count it's 15/28. Although do note that that count of 28 does reflect multiple forms of the same character in some ways (Midna and Twili Midna, Link and Young Link, Zelda and Sheik and Toon Zelda) - although given the nature of HW's narrative, they are still distinct characters... so not quite sure how you unpick that one!

Interesting to note that if you split that into heroes and villains, the villains are overwhelmingly male, which means there's a lot more women on the heroic side - I guess a natural side-effect of the Zelda series as a whole having very few female villains.

ChronoMonarch

Apr 22, 2019
Everywhere At All Times
Most of the games you see with more lady characters are going to be waifu fodder, so I'm not sure it's really a good thing in most cases.
A tougher challenge: how about games that feature more playable female characters that aren't sexualized.
DoA, Neptunia, Atelier, Skullgirls, Senran Kagura, Genshin, gacha and harem games.... yayyyy for representation /s 🤮

For a real answer: The Last of Us Part 2

*tumbleweeds*
Most JRPGs go for the harem strategy so pretty much them...
Creepy waifu games shouldn't count because they're obviously more female characters for the wrong reasons.
There's the rub.

It's great when girls are represented, but less when half of them are in battle bikinis

Holy moly, these posts so much 1000%!... Also sorry for quote wall, I came in the thread wanting to say these myself, but decided to quote instead.

PKrockin

Oct 25, 2017
I'll add a couple of PC indie games from 15 years ago both published by Carpe Fulgur:

Fortune Summoners: Secret of the Elemental Stone is a cute action JRPG about a few schoolgirls going on a fantasy adventure and GETTING THEIR FUCKING ASS BEAT BY THE INCREDIBLY HARD COMBAT JESUS CHRIST. The controls take some time to get used to and the AI is not the dumbass lumbering AI you find in other games--your party members will put you to shame and the enemies fight strategically. Pretty fun game that I'd recommend if you're into that older, more punishing RPG style where it's also possible to get a bit lost (or if you're willing to use a walkthrough). It might be easier on the lower difficulties but I had a lot of fun getting destroyed by Hard.

image.png

Recettear is a game many of you probably know, about running a shop and looting the occasional dungeon to repay the crippling debt your dad left you with. You'll buy and sell items from customers, negotiate, remodel the shop to attract different clientele, meet new characters who become adventurers you control in simple dungeon crawling, and get your combo ruined by that goddamn little girl who keeps trying to buy the most expensive thing in the shop on her 300G allowance.

image.png