• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Are there any games in which the lore is more appealing to you than the gameplay. For me, it's Mortal Kombat. I haven't played a single game and the gameplay is too gory for my taste but I just love the lore and the characters. Sub-Zero is one of my favorite videogame characters of all time

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta comes to mind, where I'm so utterly shit at the game I stopped 70 hours in even though I want to see the rest of the lore.

A lot of From Software stuff, particularly Dark Souls 2.

Might as well preempt all mentions of The Witcher, as well :p

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
The obvious answer to this for me is Destiny. While I have put thousands of hours between Dedtiny 1 and 2, the lore is what really fascinates me. Those who say that Destiny has no story have never read into the lore. The Book of Sorrows is simply amazing.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
This is going to be unpopular as hell but let's get it out : every single Final Fantasy game. I'm into Final Fantasy since 1999 and yet I had only played the 6th entry til 2008. I enjoyed reading about it a LOT though. (I'm all caught up now)

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dark Souls: the thread. The gameplay has a great concept but the execution is incredibly janky with horrible hitboxes, wonky animations, stupid physics, laughable AI and various badly designed areas. What surrounds the gameplay is a lot more interesting than the actual gameplay experience, and I think it shows on the communities as well: 99% of the talk is about the lore and the difficulty, few praises go towards the actual act of playing the game.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Mass Effect. Andromeda is a perfect example of what happens if you get all the pillairs right but don't have that awe-inspiring universe to make any of it interesting.

There's a niche that thinks the new lore, the Jardaan, The Kett, The Scourge or the Angara are interesting but I thought it was some fairly typical space-fantasy nonsense and not Mass Effect. If that isn't gotten right then it becomes very difficult to care about the rest for me in a franchise I predominantly like for its fiction and not its explosions, wubwub sounds or space sex.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The obvious answer to this for me is Destiny. While I have put thousands of hours between Dedtiny 1 and 2, the lore is what really fascinates me. Those who say that Destiny has no story have never read into the lore. The Book of Sorrows is simply amazing.
Any place to start reading up on it? I don't plan on putting hundreds of hours into the game.

Dark Souls: the thread. The gameplay has a great concept but the execution is incredibly janky with horrible hitboxes, wonky animations, stupid physics, laughable AI and various badly designed areas. What surrounds the gameplay is a lot more interesting than the actual gameplay experience, and I think it shows on the communities as well: 99% of the talk is about the lore and the difficulty, few praises go towards the actual act of playing the game.
Not to derail the thread, but the difficulty is absolutely part of the gameplay and it's why many people put hundreds of hours into those games.

Drakenguard and nier 1(a/b)
Taro is a fucking madman when it comes to lore drops but good lord the jank in those games is hella real.
How the fuck did I forget lmao, I don't think you could make me play Drakengard 1 without strapping me to a chair but the lore is amazing

not_smiff

Oct 31, 2017
GTA honestly. Been clunky unresponsive games since San Andreas which still feels like the pinnacle of the franchise. Love the world and stories.

Jan 15, 2018
Nier 1 and Mortal Kombat. I watched and read all of Nier 1, and everytime a new MK comes out I just watch the story mode cinematics and thats it.

AndyVirus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The Order 1886. Even if I didn't think the gameplay was bad (gunplay was actually pretty good imo), there wasn't enough of it.

wapplew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Horizon zero down, while the gameplay is great but the lore is what make it special.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail the thread, but the difficulty is absolutely part of the gameplay and it's why many people put hundreds of hours into those games.

I like difficult gameplay. I've put a lot of hours in mastering some rather hardcore rhythm games, danmakus, some incredibly tough levels on precision-based games like TrackMania, I even used to be tournament-level at Unreal Tournament once upon a time. Difficulty, when done well, is amazing. My main gripe with Dark Souls is that a lot of the difficulty comes from trial and error, bad design, disappointing technical elements. If a sword misses you by 20cm but your hitbox is still somehow hit, that's bad design. If an enemy one shots you from a dark corner in a way you were not supposed to know about, that's bad design. If you're allowed to go hours in a certain direction only to realize you can do jackshit there and you were somehow supposed to know that was not the way to go, that's bad design.

The difficulty comes from the fact the resources are scarse: you die with 2-3 hits, you can land only like 2-3 shots before you get hit yourself or your stamina runs off, every wrong step is some mortal trap or fall into the abyss, and so on. The game expects you to die a billion times to things you can not know in advance, until you exercise enough to pull the dance off. This is absolutely unlike the hardest levels in, say, Super Mario, TrackMania, Touhou or something: there, what you need to do is fairly obvious, what you need to do is find the ideal path and actually perform it correctly. Dark Souls' difficulty does not come from this, it comes from overcoming enemies and level designs intentionally hampering the player until he/she can abuse it someway, like making the enemies fall off a cliff, hitting a boss from a mile away to damage it beforehand or making yourself absurdly powerful by grinding an area.

I tried the game for a fairly lengthy amount of time, but the accomplishment of finally getting through an area was largely diminished by the game's faults. Improving at the game did not feel fun because the game would continously spam you with (initially) unavoidable deaths, which forces players to replay sections they already mastered just because they have no idea what comes after that will probably one-shot them until they figure out how to counter it. To me, this is not good design nor it is fun. I insisted with the game because the lore was fascinating (hence I proposed this game as my pick for the thread), but I had to realize that the 90% of my playtime was not about having fun, it was about replaying tedious sessions where I had to perform the same basic attacks many times without fail to move on.

The Surge actually delivered this concept in a much more enjoyable way, for my tastes anyway, by introducing better shortcuts, less random traps or enemies in unseen locations, rules that are more clear, chances of getting better gear by taking risks but without a way to overlevel yourself, etc.. Ironically, The Surge's lore was nowhere near as intriguing as Dark Souls. If only the two things could be combined. Granted, after my so-so experience with Dark Souls 1 I did not play the sequels, so it's entirely possible the sequels fixed a lot of my issues with the first game (from what I saw in gameplay videos, that probably is not the case, but I don't want to judge those titles without having tried them).

Nosgoth

Oct 28, 2017
Legacy of Kain series, most entries in the series only have passable gameplay, it only serves as a vehicle to feed you story and lore.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
Dark souls 1, since i actually dislike playing it greatly, so the lore is significantly more enjoyable.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of games, but most recently We Happy Few which I finished a week ago. I agree with the reviews calling it a great story and world dragged down by fairly dull and repetitive gameplay. At least they patched in difficulty options to trivialise the worst of it.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
For me witcher 3, I like the lore but hated the combat in that game never felt natural to me.

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"horrible hitboxes"
reremake_by_aloo81-d7d2zxq.gif

On topic: Five Nights at Freddy's, interesting lore but shit gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that today the lore/story is the draw of many acclaimed games out there and gameplay is just the second fiddle.

That's why Nintendo why always stand head and shoulders above most other developers.

Last edited:

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Only ones I can think of are the Silent Hill games.

Gameplay is serviceable, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone that goes to them for gameplay over story.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resident Evil. I can't stomach horror but I've read all the old books and like to keep up on what the games introduce. It's why I didn't get much out of the most recent one. It connects to the others but not as previous entries have.

Dark Souls. I find most of these games incredibly unpleasant to play because of the janky controls and movement, and fairly ugly to look at, but I do like reading about the bosses and the world.

Halo. I actually love the gameplay for these too, but I only picked up a PS4 this generation and I've been content to read and watch since last gen.

Nier Automata. Playing this was pretty terrible, but I loved reading about the endings and the real state of the world.

Mortal Kombat. Aggressively bad character design, dated and forgettable visuals, and distractingly stupid gore team up with the unpleasantness of soldiering through endless rounds of NRS zoning to make actually playing this series a painful experience. Reading about the interpersonal relationships and other character details tends to be pretty fun though.

Last edited:

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I like difficult gameplay. I've put a lot of hours in mastering some rather hardcore rhythm games, danmakus, some incredibly tough levels on precision-based games like TrackMania, I even used to be tournament-level at Unreal Tournament once upon a time. Difficulty, when done well, is amazing. My main gripe with Dark Souls is that a lot of the difficulty comes from trial and error, bad design, disappointing technical elements. If a sword misses you by 20cm but your hitbox is still somehow hit, that's bad design. If an enemy one shots you from a dark corner in a way you were not supposed to know about, that's bad design. If you're allowed to go hours in a certain direction only to realize you can do jackshit there and you were somehow supposed to know that was not the way to go, that's bad design.

The difficulty comes from the fact the resources are scarse: you die with 2-3 hits, you can land only like 2-3 shots before you get hit yourself or your stamina runs off, every wrong step is some mortal trap or fall into the abyss, and so on. The game expects you to die a billion times to things you can not know in advance, until you exercise enough to pull the dance off. This is absolutely unlike the hardest levels in, say, Super Mario, TrackMania, Touhou or something: there, what you need to do is fairly obvious, what you need to do is find the ideal path and actually perform it correctly. Dark Souls' difficulty does not come from this, it comes from overcoming enemies and level designs intentionally hampering the player until he/she can abuse it someway, like making the enemies fall off a cliff, hitting a boss from a mile away to damage it beforehand or making yourself absurdly powerful by grinding an area.

I tried the game for a fairly lengthy amount of time, but the accomplishment of finally getting through an area was largely diminished by the game's faults. Improving at the game did not feel fun because the game would continously spam you with (initially) unavoidable deaths, which forces players to replay sections they already mastered just because they have no idea what comes after that will probably one-shot them until they figure out how to counter it. To me, this is not good design nor it is fun. I insisted with the game because the lore was fascinating (hence I proposed this game as my pick for the thread), but I had to realize that the 90% of my playtime was not about having fun, it was about replaying tedious sessions where I had to perform the same basic attacks many times without fail to move on.

The Surge actually delivered this concept in a much more enjoyable way, for my tastes anyway, by introducing better shortcuts, less random traps or enemies in unseen locations, rules that are more clear, chances of getting better gear by taking risks but without a way to overlevel yourself, etc.. Ironically, The Surge's lore was nowhere near as intriguing as Dark Souls. If only the two things could be combined. Granted, after my so-so experience with Dark Souls 1 I did not play the sequels, so it's entirely possible the sequels fixed a lot of my issues with the first game (from what I saw in gameplay videos, that probably is not the case, but I don't want to judge those titles without having tried them).

I disagree with so much about this post, but A. I don;t want to continue the derail and B. It's entirely your experience so who am I to tell you otherwise. Just be wary as with your previous bost throwing out "this is bad design". Yes, the fact it's your opinion is implied but it often gets viewed as an objective statement and thus perceieved as an attack on a beloved series, so you'll get the defence force.

OT: +1 for Silent Hill. I actually enjoy the games I've played, but the value of those games is so heavily in the lore and unravelling the maddening mysteries as opposed to straight gameplay. In this way gameplay and lore aren't always mutually exlcusive.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's not necessarily lore, but I do enjoy reading about those massive EVE online battles. I'll die before I end up playing that game tho. I can't wrap my head around it for the life of me.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
it's not necessarily lore, but I do enjoy reading about those massive EVE online battles. I'll die before I end up playing that game tho. I can't wrap my head around it for the life of me.

This is an excellent one.

Hearing about the betrayals, subterfuge and large scale battles can be hugely entertaining, but not enough to make sit and stare at spreadsheets for hours at a time.

Elite Dangerous can be like that with some of the community stuff. There's an annual trip to the centre of the galaxy that takes place that sounds quite cool but I could never be bothered to do it.

I suppose this is kind of meta-lore rather than strictly fiction baked in to the games.

LoNe_eXiLe

Oct 25, 2017
Any place to start reading up on it? I don't plan on putting hundreds of hours into the game.

To be honest, I would just recommend watching the lore videos from either Myelin Games or My Name is Byf. I honestly prefer Byf's videos, but both have excellent lore breakdowns. Byf's full story of Destiny video is so good and briefly touches on the lore and gives you a good entry point to start digging in.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
What.

What is this opinion.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
Not exactly lore, but I'd say Overwatch is one those games that fascinates me with its characters, their personalities and their charisma. I with Blizzard/Activision made a single player story driven game with someone there.. probably Tracer as the main character; I really love the comics and the shorts they release, but I have no interest in a competitive FPS online.

LordGorchnik

Oct 30, 2017
This thread was literally made for the Ar Tonelico series. Hands down one of the most diverse and interesting lore settings ever created by the (at the time) Banpresto team in collaboration with Gust. A world where everything is powered by songs. The wiki created for it is one of the most in-depth and it goes into detail into each HYMNOS that is sung or played throughout the game as each one has both a literal meaning as well as a story behind it.

Bolstered by the fact that the hymnos were sung by (multiple) very prolific Japanese singers. The most prominent three being Akiko Shikata, Haruka Shimotsuki, and Noriko Mitose who generally were the singers for the three main "girl routes" you can generally proceed in each game.

The game is generally more famous in the West due to it being filled with terrible anime tropes and awful sexual innuendo. Behold:

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mortal Kombat is a good answer. I love the lore, but I don't really like the actual games.

I'd also say the Zero Escape games. Now, granted, a lot of the game is the lore, since it's basically a visual novel, but the escape room stuff gets really annoying really fast. I usually do the first room or two on my own and then grab a walkthrough for the others so that I can get back to the story faster.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta comes to mind, where I'm so utterly shit at the game I stopped 70 hours in even though I want to see the rest of the lore.

Man, I'm glad Soul Sacrifice was brought up.
The hooks in the different stories are so delightfully twisted, even if the gameplay was lacking somewhat, it was a constant driving force to uncover more.
Yo, remember the Cinderella story?
tl:dr: Cinderella discovers that the whole glass slipper thing was just Prince Charming having a voracious foot fetish, so she sacrifices her legs to transform into a humanoid centipede monster, with myriad feet to endlessly pleasure her prince :D

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Most isometric rpg.

There are exceptions such as Divinity. I tried so much to like it cause I like srpgs but it painful to play them.