• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Z9LwxB1B4IIz9vz0qcJfWtrV2OoHA8RVcroDN2xggMs.jpg

The cars in Arkham Origins were so off

I have played through this game twice and never noticed this. Are all the cars like that? I suppose you spend most of the game flying on the rooftops, so it is easy enough to miss.

braisbr1

Oct 4, 2019
I enjoyed Xenoblade on Wii, but when I played the DE on Switch I felt like I was traveling on huge 3D models of places instead of an expansive world. Nothing felt quite natural.
This! A thousand times this. I always felt the same when playing games from that studio, even if a bit less than on Xenoblade 1.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
In Dragon Age: Origins I remember thinking that it was funny that all the doors in the extremely insular Dwarven society are built to accommodate human height, lol.

WarReadyVet

Jun 15, 2020
All the supersized bosses in the Souls/Bourne series confused me. I wanted more fights with enemies my size.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Pretty much any time you fight a human-sized boss in early Final Fantasies, they're suddenly 30 feet tall.

maxresdefault.jpg

(And yes, I know it's to emphasize how evil/threatening/etc. they are, but it just looks silly, especially immediately afterwards when they're back to normal size.)

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
I think about this a lot with the new open-world Assassin's Creed games. In Odyssey I would frequently climb up a mountain and for the size of the geographic features to make sense relative to the player character, the character would have to be like 70 feet tall. The illusion works at a human FOV distance but breaks beyond that.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I heard about the "everything is big in third person" thing and always chuckle when I notice it now
like look at the size of this barn door and it's not like the gears dudes are small and slender lmao
tl0AtUt.png

To be fair, when you're that big you're gonna take XL dumps and need an appropriately industrial size bathroom

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
In Custer's Revenge his wang is as long as his arm.

Horrible (and super offensive) game in every way possible...including asset scale.

I'm not posting proof, haha.

It's this threads fault that I thought of that... 🤦‍♂️

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
Just finished Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, and god damn the Outsider's hand bigger than his entire face (he's just supposed to be a human, not a supernatural being)

StaSeb

Nov 7, 2017
I noticed so much in this scene of The Evil Within 2, that I took a screenshot:

yRdZ1oG.jpg

Look at those massive armchairs. Dude looks tiny!

OP
OP
Zeroth

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think about this a lot with the new open-world Assassin's Creed games. In Odyssey I would frequently climb up a mountain and for the size of the geographic features to make sense relative to the player character, the character would have to be like 70 feet tall. The illusion works at a human FOV distance but breaks beyond that.
Isn't that tied to how open world games based in real locations tend to reduce the real size to allow players to transverse them in minutes versus hours?

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
quite a few games where I forgot I was stuck in crouch mode because its so hard to 'feel' your height is correct due to messed up scale and you feel about 4ft tall even when standing up

Zoph

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that tied to how open world games based in real locations tend to reduce the real size to allow players to transverse them in minutes versus hours?
Right, I understand *why* it's the way it is; it just seems like we have a ways to go to be able to successfully create the illusion of a life-like open world with a variety of the possible, real-world situations.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Resident evil 2 remake has a REALLY big cop car just past the shutter near the garage...and weirdly sized cars in general tbh. How you fuck up the consistency of the exactl same vehicle in such close proximity is beyond me.

Found an image

dq5fxd7p7vf21.jpg

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
Most TPS games will have huge doors and rooms, they look too cramped if they're actually made to scale.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed Xenoblade on Wii, but when I played the DE on Switch I felt like I was traveling on huge 3D models of places instead of an expansive world. Nothing felt quite natural.
I wonder if that means they accomplished their goal or not considering what the lands you're traveling on are.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
In Gran Turismo Sport PS4, when I visit certain location of the Scapes, I found some of them have in weird scale after placing the car(s).
Here some of the examples that I find very questionable about the size of the vehicles and the surrounding.

The perspective sure plays an important role for the shot and can determine the scale, but from these shots, my eyes surely don't play tricks on me like seeing an optical illusion trick, that certain car can look bigger or smaller with surrounding or vice versa and sometimes among other vehicles from the photos and in-game too.

I don't claim to know much about racing cars, so I could not really say if these cars are actually in true scale as in real life, but only reason I start to find these weird, in term of scale is when I compare the interior size (steering wheel, seats) with the scale of real photo from the Scapes.

granturismosport_20208djyh.png

granturismosport_2020noj77.png

granturismosport_2020sfkui.png

granturismosport_2018dmkck.png

granturismosport_2018pwj4h.png

OP
OP
Zeroth

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In Gran Turismo Sport PS4, when I visit certain location of the Scapes, I found some of them have in weird scale after placing the car(s).
Here some of the examples that I find very questionable about the size of the vehicles and the surrounding.

The perspective sure plays an important role for the shot and can determine the scale, but from these shots, my eyes surely don't play tricks on me like seeing an optical illusion trick, that certain car can look bigger or smaller with surrounding or vice versa and sometimes among other vehicles from the photos and in-game too.

I don't claim to know much about racing cars, so I could not really say if these cars are actually in true scale as in real life, but only reason I start to find these weird, in term of scale is when I compare the interior size (steering wheel, seats) with the scale of real photo from the Scapes.

granturismosport_20208djyh.png

granturismosport_2020noj77.png

granturismosport_2020sfkui.png

granturismosport_2018dmkck.png

granturismosport_2018pwj4h.png
I wonder if this is one of the cases mentioned here where realistic sizes would create issues for players. It sure seems like the player vehicles are either too small or too big for their original size

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Not sure if it counts but I have been playing Mafia 3 on PS4 Pro and the glitches are practically a feature of the game. The sun in particular has a black outline when you look at it, don't make a habit of staring at the sun in reality, but I am pretty sure it doesn't have an outline.

Oct 27, 2017
You could probably fit about a dozen people on these couches. Enjoy not being able to see through the windows too. (Final Fantasy XV).
oAdhYvC.png